PDA

View Full Version : Officially Unofficial Brandon Marshall's Future Prediction Thread

ursamajor
08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
While I don't know what team will sign him, I know that if Josh McDaniels is truly team 1st, he has to release Brandon @ the final 53 man roster cut. There is no way he can preach about having a desire about wanting team first players, then take a roster spot away from any player busting their ass to become a better player and team mate, and give it to Marshall.

If Josh keeps Brandon on this team, it would loudly cry that Josh is full of shyt when speaking about no place for me 1st guys on his team.

Paying or trading Brandon would say that Josh and Pat backed down.

Releasing/Cutting Brandon would send a message saying "we have seen what you are, and what you have got, and we are better without you.

Philly and Dallas said it to TO. Dallas also said the same thing to Adam Jones. Chicago said it to Johnson and Benson. NY said it to Plax.

My money is on Denver saying it to Brandon.

Day1BroncoFan
08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Marshall may have one more chance to prove himself. I could also be wrong.

Dreadnought
08-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Nonsense. While I totally agree that it will be unfortunate to have him on the 53 man roster (thereby denying a shot to a kid who wants/deserves a shot) to give him an outright release would be moronic. Better for the team to park his ass on the bench if necessary and get the best we can. If that means as an RFA next year then so be it. If that means we have what is essentially a 52 man roster then so be it. Time to think long term here

GEM
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
You hope that the Broncos cut him so that Chicago nabs him....just say it. :D

:laugh:

JDL
08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
How does it make sense for the LONG-TERM benefit of the team to release Brandon Marshall?

I get the knee-jerk reaction and desire to cut ways with him. It is *Possible* as the Pats did cut Lawyer Milloy right before the season.

AND

They also a few years later traded Deion Branch on 9/11/06 right at the start of that years regular season.

HOWEVER

The Milloy situation was unique. He had a HUGE cap number that really was screwing up the Patriots situation and he was unwilling to restructure, what with Rodney Harrison having been brought on board and playing basically the same position as him (at least same style.) It was to the financial benefit of NE to release Milloy at that point, right before his salary became guaranteed (I believe there is something to the effect that if a player is on your roster after the start of the regular season, his salary becomes guaranteed, which is why on occasion you will see guys waived and resigned right after the start of the season. This does not seem particularly applicable to Marshall.

Branch situation was not entirely unique, but he was actually a valuable commodity at the time. The Seahawks gave up a 1st rd pick for him. If somebody offered Denver today a 1st rd pick, chances are that they would agree to trade him.

Unfortunately, neither situation is particularly applicable here.

If you release Brandon Marshall it encourages future players to act in a similar manner so that they get their way. This is NOT in the team's interest in any way whatsoever.

If you trade Marshall for less than his football value, you hurt the long-term competitiveness of the franchise. Arizona understood this last year and eventually Boldin got on board and played (he had no choice and he has been very adamant saying things publicly about the ownership and lack of trust, but in the end he has been fairly professional and put those issues aside...and played good football, which shows it can be done.)

So, to me... short-term it is not possible to move Marshall and not hurt the team, for the reasons stated above, but long-term you cannot keep players like this on the team, it is simply counter-productive.

I think what seems like a reasonable path, is for Denver to force Marshall's hand, he was terrified of losing training camp type money, I doubt he will want to lose game check money.

What people don't seem to see (at least from what I've read) is that now Denver has Marshall where they want him. He's screwed himself up in the eyes of the media and fans everywhere, has been getting blasted from every side of national media. He'd be almost as controversial (when considering trade compensation), sadly, for a team to bring on as was Michael Vick. Marshall tried to quell the firestorm (but actually provided more evidence for the Broncos to use against him, since he admitted what he did.) What can Marshall POSSIBLY do from here .... but play football. And in the end this is what everyone wanted from the start, for Marshall to come around to the idea that he has to work hard and play well to get what he wants. I really believe he has been backed into a corner now and fully understands that the only way to get what he wants, is to go out and perform. The Broncos organization seems to have understood this from the start, Marshall HAS to play for them to be able to trade him, he has to prove he is healthy, he has to prove he's over the dropsies (from that nerve issue), he has to prove he can be a team-player (now.)

I doubt that McDaniels wants him on the team long-term, but if he can just get him to go out and perform for one season... and perform well.. they will still have control of his rights and can trade him then for compensation that is equal to what they want (a 1st and 4th rd pick.)

I guess what I am trying to say is that Marshall can really only do two things once the season starts... he can play and play well or he can dog it in real games. I can't believe he'd do the latter, it would be such an afront to his teamates. He could sit out claiming injury, but how is he going to get his big pay day if teams think he is injured or injury-prone? Logic doesn't come into play too often for Marshall, but it seems abundantly obvious that the only way for everyone to get what they want, is for Marshall to go out and perform, lest he wants to become an afterthought like Chad Ochocinco (yeah who sees him as an elite WR anymore.)

It will be interesting to see how things are handled by the Broncos next year when Bailey pushes for a new contract (I know he's been itching for one and depending on the CBA situation it will be interesting to see how the Broncos treat him, he will have some leverage with a big base salary and last year of his deal.)

ursamajor
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
You hope that the Broncos cut him so that Chicago nabs him....just say it. :D

:laugh:

Maybe once upon a time I would have liked to see Brandon on the Bears. But after watching that crap he pulled @ practice, I'll pass.

Besides, in Bennett and DA, the Bears have 2 receivers who will run through a wall for their coaches, and qb. It also doesnt hurt that one of them is 6'3", runs a true 4.3, is on the right side of 200lbs, and has a 40" vert.

ursamajor
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
He will get cut.

broken12
08-28-2009, 10:52 PM
traded for teddy brusche (spelling) he knows the system, maybe fred taylor he was just picked up this offseason by pats and is now familiar with the system

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 11:10 PM
He will get cut.

No way

jrelway
08-28-2009, 11:52 PM
traded for teddy brusche (spelling) he knows the system, maybe fred taylor he was just picked up this offseason by pats and is now familiar with the system

stop smokin that crack ok?

jrelway
08-28-2009, 11:53 PM
he will come back off suspension and play his ass off. teams that need WR help will offer us the goods for early draft picks.

ursamajor
08-29-2009, 06:10 AM
teams that need WR help will offer us the goods for early draft picks.No they wont. It is highly unlikely that any team will double pay for a player (pay high round picks to Denver, AND pay Brandon by signing him to a big contract). And even if there was a team that would be willing to pay through the nose for an elite WR, they would go for Boldin 1st.

But that is neither here nor there. Brandon will continue to act out, and will get cut.

elsid13
08-29-2009, 08:33 AM
No they wont. It is highly unlikely that any team will double pay for a player (pay high round picks to Denver, AND pay Brandon by signing him to a big contract). And even if there was a team that would be willing to pay through the nose for an elite WR, they would go for Boldin 1st.

But that is neither here nor there. Brandon will continue to act out, and will get cut.

Does the name Danny Snyder mean anything to you?

Brandon will not get cut, he might get traded but he will not get cut.

ursamajor
08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Does the name Danny Snyder mean anything to you?

Brandon will not get cut, he might get traded but he will not get cut.

Holy crap I forgot about Snyder. The Owner so desperate for a big, tall, YAC producing WR, that he passed on an available TO not
once, but twice.

The Broncos are going to cut Marshall. I dont know why so many here want to see Denver keep him.

The only team I have ever seen have a staring contest w/ a wide receiver like so many hope Denver does w/ Marshall, is Cincy.

And we all know how well run a franchise Cincy is :rolleyes:

elsid13
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Holy crap I forgot about Snyder. The Owner so desperate for a big, tall, YAC producing WR, that he passed on an available TO not
once, but twice.

The Broncos are going to cut Marshall. I dont know why so many here want to see Denver keep him.

The only team I have ever seen have a staring contest w/ a wide receiver like so many hope Denver does w/ Marshall, is Cincy.

Trust me, after the failures he has WRs this season with the two draft choices from last year, the Redskins are prime candidates to get a star player like Marshall.

Thnikkaman
08-29-2009, 01:19 PM
once, but twice.

The argument against cutting Marshall is that whoever is whispering in his ear will tell him to stick with Denver this season. Some team (probably the Jets, Raiders, Dallas, or Miami) will offer us what we want for him, or there is the slim to none chance (pigs flying in a frozen hell) that Marshall will realize that this system will work for him.

Cutting Marshall would be idiotic value wise. His stock will rise by the end of the season or he will waste his tallent.

BroncoTech
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I predict we sit him all year, he doesn't play a game. During the off season Brandon is traded to the Raiders during which time Marshall is choked and punched to death during an altercation with Tom Cable at Raiders headquarters in Alameda. Tom Cable is charged with reckless endangerment to a child and spends 2 months in San Quentin and 2 years in anger management classes.

Superchop 7
08-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Dump him at mid-season when his value is highest.