PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil took (slightly) less to sign with Ravens

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I have the details to the five-year contract Elvis Dumervil signed with the Baltimore Ravens.

And upon closer inspection, Dumervil wasn’t fibbing when he said it wasn’t about the money.

Let’s compare the Ravens’ contract to the Broncos offer. First the Ravens:

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/03/27/elvis-dumervil-took-less-to-sign-with-ravens/19017/

claymore
03-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Elvis Dumervil needs to be nominated for the most butthurt player of the year award.

Northman
03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I dont know, he looked pretty happy at the Ravens press conference. lmao

claymore
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
I dont know, he looked pretty happy at the Ravens press conference. lmao

Doenst mean he doesnt got a mean case of monkey butt!

skins_fan82
03-27-2013, 04:02 PM
A man's ego is a powerful thing.

It definitely wasn't about the money...

claymore
03-27-2013, 04:05 PM
A man's ego is a powerful thing.

It definitely wasn't about the money...

It was about revenge in the end. He ended up looking like a doosh though.

blamkin86
03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
It was about revenge in the end. He ended up looking like a doosh though.

Well said, Sad for those of us who liked him. I've been a Louisville fan for years; I was so excited when we drafted him.

I get it, I wouldn't be crazy about a pay cut either, but he took one anyway. Thus the doushbaggery.

BeefStew25
03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Elvis has left the building! Lol omg brb gfy.

olathebroncofan
03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Welker took less money to join the Broncos.

Dapper Dan
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Welker is obviously a douche bag then. We should all hate him.

chazoe60
03-27-2013, 08:50 PM
In the immortal words of the great and wise Claymore

:fart:

MOtorboat
03-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Welker is obviously a douche bag then. We should all hate him.

That we should. He's an unloyal piece of shit!

String him up!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Only if you count incentives, which may or may not be reached:

Welker agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract with the Broncos on Wednesday, the second day of free agency. The Patriots' last offer to Welker before free agency was two years for $10 million with incentives that could have increased it to $16 million, according to Kraft.

Kraft said that the gap between what the Patriots were offering and what Welker was seeking was "substantial" and added that if Welker had come to the team sooner with a deal that was $2 million more than New England was offering (which is what the Broncos deal was) the team would have closed that gap "in a second."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9069558/wes-welker-agency-says-new-england-patriots-made-take-leave-offer

Northman
03-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Less money is less money.

UnderArmour
03-28-2013, 08:41 AM
He did it for the sacks and the stats and the glory that comes along with them. He was a good player in Denver but after we moved back to the 4-3, he was never going to be the dominant sack-artist he was in the 3-4. Don "Wink" (32nd ranked defense) Martindale sold him that the Ravens would put him in a position to succeed. I can't fault Dumervil for wanting to go back to OLB from DE because it just means he loves the game of football. He can do far more at 3-4 OLB to help the Ravens succeed than he ever could at DE for us. As a fan of the game, I entirely respect that. I want to watch players who give everything they can to help their team win. Dumervil was that player for us and now he's going to be that player for Baltimore. Orlando Franklin better step things up when Baltimore comes back to town.

RavensD
03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
He did it for the sacks and the stats and the glory that comes along with them. He was a good player in Denver but after we moved back to the 4-3, he was never going to be the dominant sack-artist he was in the 3-4. Don "Wink" (32nd ranked defense) Martindale sold him that the Ravens would put him in a position to succeed. I can't fault Dumervil for wanting to go back to OLB from DE because it just means he loves the game of football. He can do far more at 3-4 OLB to help the Ravens succeed than he ever could at DE for us. As a fan of the game, I entirely respect that. I want to watch players who give everything they can to help their team win. Dumervil was that player for us and now he's going to be that player for Baltimore. Orlando Franklin better step things up when Baltimore comes back to town.

I was wondering how you guys feel he performed as a 4-3 DE? I gather from your post, he definitely fits better as a 3-4 OLB, but having that kind of flexibility would be great, especially for us since we mix up between 43 and 34 a lot.

PatriotsGuy
03-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm glad you all have a point of reference to our feelings on Welker now.

Carry on

chazoe60
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm glad you all have a point of reference to our feelings on Welker now.

Carry on

Completely different situations.

MOtorboat
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
I was wondering how you guys feel he performed as a 4-3 DE? I gather from your post, he definitely fits better as a 3-4 OLB, but having that kind of flexibility would be great, especially for us since we mix up between 43 and 34 a lot.

10 of his 17 sacks came in a four downlineman nickel or dime set in that season in the 3-4.

TXBRONC
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM

It's kind of misleading. He got his sacks from being in 3 point stance as defensive end. That's not a criticism of Dumervil but it's a fact. To say he will do more as OLB I think also faulty. First, he played the position all of one season and it was Mike Nolan who was the defensive coordinator that year not Martindale. Second, the next season when Martindale was the d.c. Elvis missed the entire season with a torn pectoral muscle. the only difference in the production from being in a 4-3 verses 3-4 is Dumervil had a 6 more sacks as OLB. You got a very good player who can play solidly at two different positions and you should get about the same production whether he's used as defensive end or a OLB.

Just one more thing, he hasn't played on the strong side very much. His career so far has been played on the blind side this past season Del Rio moved his around a little bit and so did end up on the strong side on a few occassions and he also rushed the passer from a two point stance a few times.

weazel
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Welker didnt "forget how to use a fax". Doosh played this out the way he wanted to, didnt want to take a pay cut but knew he had to so decided to **** the Broncos at the same time.

claymore
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Welker didnt "forget how to use a fax". Doosh played this out the way he wanted to, didnt want to take a pay cut but knew he had to so decided to **** the Broncos at the same time.

Welker didnt take less to play with the Broncos either. He recieved 2 million more over 2 years.

PatriotsGuy
03-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Welker didnt take less to play with the Broncos either. He recieved 2 million more over 2 years.

Hmmm don't think the second year is guaranteed there clay.

weazel
03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
heres how it played out...
1. doom told Broncos he would sign but didnt send in the contract thinking that if he got it in late, the Broncos would be stupid enough not to cut him in time and have to pay him the original contract.

2. Broncos weren't as dumb as doom thought and cut him before they had to give him money he isn't worth.

3. doom blames agent for stupid idea and fires him

4. agent blames Broncos because he has noone else to blame

5. doom says he still wants to be a Bronco but will also look at other offers... which means he wants to sign somewhere for good money and will use the Broncos offer as leverage.

6. Broncos offer Doom a better contract but Doom waits days and days for someone else to make him an offer... then takes Baltimores worse offer because he's still pissed that Denver didnt want to pay him 12 million a season... almost as much as Tom Brady.

That is not the same situation as Welker at all...

claymore
03-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Probably not, but I doubt the Pats 2nd year 5 million dollar offer was either. Not to mention he has been trying to get a deal with them for like 2-3 years. He was jerked around, low balled, then franchised, then low balled again.

In Dooms case, we wanted to pay him more money than any team in every situation. He shit on us. Welker shit on the Pats after getting shit on for years. I dont even think he shit on them because I dont think they wanted him anyways.

PatriotsGuy
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Probably not, but I doubt the Pats 2nd year 5 million dollar offer was either. Not to mention he has been trying to get a deal with them for like 2-3 years. He was jerked around, low balled, then franchised, then low balled again.

In Dooms case, we wanted to pay him more money than any team in every situation. He shit on us. Welker shit on the Pats after getting shit on for years. I dont even think he shit on them because I dont think they wanted him anyways.

He was offered 16 million @ 2 years before they franchised him and paid him 9.5 mil.

We'll all find out the truth when he writes his book.

claymore
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
He was offered 16 million @ 2 years before they franchised him and paid him 9.5 mil.

I thought it was a 3 year 24 million dollar contract. Regardless, it was 2-3 years ago and lowball offer IMO. If he was offered that this year he would have taken it.

UnderArmour
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
It's kind of misleading. He got his sacks from being in 3 point stance as defensive end. That's not a criticism of Dumervil but it's a fact. To say he will do more as OLB I think also faulty. First, he played the position all of one season and it was Mike Nolan who was the defensive coordinator that year not Martindale. Second, the next season when Martindale was the d.c. Elvis missed the entire season with a torn pectoral muscle. the only difference in the production from being in a 4-3 verses 3-4 is Dumervil had a 6 more sacks as OLB. You got a very good player who can play solidly at two different positions and you should get about the same production whether he's used as defensive end or a OLB.

Just one more thing, he hasn't played on the strong side very much. His career so far has been played on the blind side this past season Del Rio moved his around a little bit and so did end up on the strong side on a few occassions and he also rushed the passer from a two point stance a few times.

The Ravens move their OLBs around similarly and align them as DEs often too. Martindale was the LBs coach at that time Elvis had his breakout year, so your rejection of him as a factor in Doom's signing is flat out wrong. Also, do you not realize how much impact a 6 sack difference is? Furthermore, the Ravens will line their OLBs up in 3 point looks too. Basically every 3-4 defense has some kind of 4-3 look in it that they will run as the situations call for them. Part of the 3-4 is moving pieces around and changing alignments so the 3-4 defense we ran definitely had an impact in Doom's breakout year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Welker agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract with the Broncos on Wednesday, the second day of free agency. The Patriots' last offer to Welker before free agency was two years for $10 million with incentives that could have increased it to $16 million, according to Kraft.

Kraft said that the gap between what the Patriots were offering and what Welker was seeking was "substantial" and added that if Welker had come to the team sooner with a deal that was $2 million more than New England was offering (which is what the Broncos deal was) the team would have closed that gap "in a second."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ke-leave-offer

claymore
03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ke-leave-offer

Thats damage control IMO. The Pats had 3 years of ongoing negotiations. I doubt that Kraft and BB was caught off guard over the $2 mil.

TXBRONC
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
The Ravens move their OLBs around similarly and align them as DEs often too. Martindale was the LBs coach at that time Elvis had his breakout year, so your rejection of him as a factor in Doom's signing is flat out wrong. Also, do you not realize how much impact a 6 sack difference is? Furthermore, the Ravens will line their OLBs up in 3 point looks too. Basically every 3-4 defense has some kind of 4-3 look in it that they will run as the situations call for them. Part of the 3-4 is moving pieces around and changing alignments so the 3-4 defense we ran definitely had an impact in Doom's breakout year.

Oh you have proof that Martindale played a huge role in signing Dumervil because I sure haven't seen any? He might have but I don't know that to be a fact. You're not telling me anything I don't already know base defenses. No one stays in their base defense more than 50% of the time. He had huge impact on our defense.

I'm not criticizing Dumervil in the least. I know he's a good player and he did have a huge impact on our defense. We played the Ravens twice and in both games Suggs was manned up against Clady the entire game both times. Again did Dumervil play much the strong side while he was with Denver? From what I remember he never did.

Who was the coordinating the defense in 09 it wasn't Martindale. It was Mike Noll he had a much bigger impact than Martindale. Again how many years did Dumervil play linebacker? It was only one. He missed all of he following season so he doesn't have a lot experience playing linebacker.

Northman
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Dont do that, your hurting his argument.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Elvis Dumervil had just hit the free-agent market on March 15, after a botched fax to the league offices, when Baltimore Ravens inside linebackers coach Don Martindale called his former Denver Broncos protégé.

The linebackers coach, nicknamed "Wink" after the television game-show host, made a recruiting pitch that sold Dumervil on an unexpected reunion: He could have what was behind Door No. 2 -- a deal with the world champions.

"I called Elvis and said, 'You want me to get the ball rolling?' He said, 'Heck, yeah!''' Martindale told USA TODAY Sports after Dumervil signed his five-year, $35-million deal Tuesday. "Right after he got released, it was more of a challenge with everyone here saying, 'We can't get him.' I said, 'I think we can.'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/03/26/former-broncos-defensive-end-elvis-dumervil-signs-with-ravens/2022445/

TXBRONC
03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/03/26/former-broncos-defensive-end-elvis-dumervil-signs-with-ravens/2022445/

And this proves what?

MOtorboat
03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
And this proves what?

Are you really trying to deny that Martindale had a lot to do with him going to Baltimore?

weazel
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Are you really trying to deny that Martindale had a lot to do with him going to Baltimore?

I think the cheap crack in Baltimore helped with the decision.

Maybe I am wrong but it's just speculation, just as every other comment in here is.

Northman
03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Maybe I am wrong but it's just speculation, just as every other comment in here is.

Booya

MOtorboat
03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I think the cheap crack in Baltimore that helped with the decision.

I don't think saying Martindale helped recruit Dumervil to Baltimore is speculation at all.

PatriotsGuy
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
I think the cheap crack in Baltimore helped with the decision.

No no, it's all facts, along with all of the Welker facts

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2013, 02:37 PM
And this proves what?

:confused: Good grief - this could not be any more clear that Martindale was the one who initiated the whole thing with Dumbervil/Baltimore. There is no other way to interpret it.

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Elvis Dumervil had just hit the free-agent market on March 15, after a botched fax to the league offices, when Baltimore Ravens inside linebackers coach Don Martindale called his former Denver Broncos protégé.

"I called Elvis and said, 'You want me to get the ball rolling?' He said, 'Heck, yeah!''' Martindale told USA TODAY Sports after Dumervil signed his five-year, $35-million deal Tuesday. "Right after he got released, it was more of a challenge with everyone here saying, 'We can't get him.' I said, 'I think we can.'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...avens/2022445/

Dapper Dan
03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
:confused: Good grief - this could not be any more clear that Martindale was the one who initiated the whole thing with Dumbervil/Baltimore. There is no other way to interpret it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...avens/2022445/

Yeah. But do you have the audio clip? :coffee:

ShaneFalco
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
sucks i really like Doom

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Yeah. But do you have the audio clip? :coffee:

How about you ask usatoday that - they are the ones who stated Martindale talked with them, and they quoted him in the article.:coffee:

chipmunk801
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I think that fool is a trader I know when your on a team you need to represent right...

chipmunk801
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
And you know I just. Bought his Jersey too and guess what I did I burnt it...lol

MOtorboat
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Like a fur trader?

PatriotsGuy
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I was thinking stock exchange.

MOtorboat
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I was thinking stock exchange.

I was thinking Jim Bridger.

PatriotsGuy
04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
I was thinking Coureur des bois

Davii
04-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Like a fur trader?

Well he can cross the Denver market off his pelt supply list.