PDA

View Full Version : John Elway's Broncos business plan has long-term view on short-term deals

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Ted Shih:

Q: Is it my imagination, but are more players accepting short-term deals than before? For example, I was surprised that Wes Welker signed only a two-year deal and not a longer one. What's the explanation?

A: Ted, it isn't your imagination, it's the Broncos business plan in free agency these days.

With John Elway calling the shots on the football side of the organization, the Broncos have made the decision to limit the risks in free agency, if possible. They don't want dead money on the salary cap — cap charges for players who are no longer on the roster — and they are a draft-centered team.

rest - interesting - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22874984/john-elway-broncos-business-nfl-deals

MOtorboat
03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
It looks like a lot of teams are taking that approach. It only took them twenty years to learn to be weary of long-term deals to free agents.

TXBRONC
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Long term deals for free agents wont ever go completely away because when it's elite player like Manning or Bailey teams will want to lock them up long term.

Northman
03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Long term deals for free agents wont ever go completely away because when it's elite player like Manning or Bailey teams will want to lock them up long term.

Not only that but players also want some stability. I dont think too many players get overly excited with the idea they may have to pack up and leave a city after just two years on a regular basis.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Not only that but players also want some stability. I dont think too many players get overly excited with the idea they may have to pack up and leave a city after just two years on a regular basis.

Not to mention they are taking all the risk.

You go from a 1500 yrd rushing season to a 1200 yrd rushing season, now they team wants to resign you based on the 1200 yrd season. I don't blame the NFL player for not liking that set-up.

jhildebrand
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
The benefit is mutual. Players that have one huge year wont be locked in on a long term deal and have a nasty hold out to be paid "fair market" e.g. CJ2k and Revis. Likewise teams will benefit in that any overpaid player can't hurth the team 3 and 4 years down the road.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Its much more beneficial to the owners, which is why the short contracts are happening in a lean 'cap' year. But it most certainly is not beneficial to players to have short term contracts......espcially in the 1 professional sport that doesn't have guaranteed contracts to begin with.

BroncoWave
03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Not to mention they are taking all the risk.

You go from a 1500 yrd rushing season to a 1200 yrd rushing season, now they team wants to resign you based on the 1200 yrd season. I don't blame the NFL player for not liking that set-up.

Its much more beneficial to the owners, which is why the short contracts are happening in a lean 'cap' year. But it most certainly is not beneficial to players to have short term contracts......espcially in the 1 professional sport that doesn't have guaranteed contracts to begin with.

So what? If they don't like it, sucks for them. Not much they can do about teams getting smarter and deciding to build through the draft instead of free agency.