PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Marshall should be traded, or kept on the roster this year?

Tned
08-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Ok, decision making time. If you are the GM of the Broncos, do you:

trade him now?
Force him to play or sit this season, and attempt to sign him afterwards?
Force him to play or sit this season, knowing that if he is signed as a restricted free agent we will be compensated with draft picks?

claymore
08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Trade him the second he was aquited. Oh wait.....

AlWilsonizKING
08-28-2009, 07:26 AM
3 it is for me, though I'd make him sit out the season and think about what is important to him.

PEACE!!!

Tned
08-28-2009, 07:29 AM
3 it is for me, though I'd make him sit out the season and think about what is important to him.

PEACE!!!

Trade him the second he was aquited. Oh wait.....

Polls up now, it was a challenge to word option three and keep it in the 100 character limit for each poll item.

broncofaninfla
08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Suspend him for a week without pay and give him a chance to come back and show us and the rest of the NFL that he deserves the money he wants. Then trade him before the trading deadline this season for a #1 and #4. When you combine what was caught on tape yetserday with Marshalls past, he is now in a forced situation that he has to kick *ss and demonstrate that he is a team player. He simply can't afford to show his *ss anymore.

broncofaninfla
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Broncos can't send Marshall home with pay (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/broncos-cant-send-marshall-home-with-pay/)

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 8:41 AM ET
Some of you have suggested that the Denver Broncos should take a page from the Jon Gruden/Andy Reid playbook and send disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall home, with pay.

Gruden did just that with receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season, giving Keyshawn an extended vacation after repeated clashes between player and coach.

Two years later, the Eagles followed a four-game unpaid suspension of receiver Terrell Owens with a suspension for the rest of the year, with pay.

Though Keyshawn didn't fight his paid vacation, the grievance filed by Owens included an attempt to force the Eagles either to let Owens back in the building or cut him loose.

The effort failed.

And so, when it was time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement after the 2005 season, the NFL Players Association slipped into the new deal language prohibiting teams from sending players home with pay.

Here's the relevant language from the provision in the current labor contract permitting maximum discipline of a four-game suspension without pay: "This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player's on-field playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator's decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player's conduct."

So while the Broncos can sit Marshall down for maximum suspensions of four games at a time in response to conduct detrimental to the team, the Broncos cannot pay him to stay out of their hair.

nbenallo33
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
i dont think Marshall is as bad as the media is putting him out to be... maybe if everyone stoped focusing on B-Marsh he could get a good practice in

ikillz0mbies
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Maybe if Marshall stopped doing stupid shit, then the media won't be focused on him.

Northman
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM

PEACE!!!

Out of options presented yes, thats the best one. His salary doesnt hurt the Broncos and he has no leverage. Denver wants a certain value for him and if teams dont want to give it up than just let him sit. If he doesnt show start adding fines to his ass. Its already going to be a tough year, this isnt the Philly Eagles with TO going to the SB. Marshall carrying on like a idiot will just get lost in all the other drama that will surround this team this year. If Marshall wasnt such a headcase and had a clean history he would already be gone or re-signed. Got news for Brandon, this is where you are taught a lesson about how you handle your business off the field. It finally caught up with you chump.

claymore
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
You can look at the Owens saga to see the script. We need to get rid of him if we want anything in return. Brandon will get payed regardless of how he leaves this team.

And he could care less if the Broncos get anything in return.

Northman
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
You can look at the Owens saga to see the script. We need to get rid of him if we want anything in return. Brandon will get payed regardless of how he leaves this team.

TO has more value than Brandon even now. If there is one positive about TO is that he doesnt get in trouble with the law every other month.

Dirk
08-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Suspend him for the year. Tired of his BS.

NightTrainLayne
08-28-2009, 08:52 AM
At this point I could care less what happens to him. He has de facto removed himself from the team.

It's times like this that I wish we still had someone like Romo on the team. If a Romo or Al Wilson had been out there on Wednesday, Marshall would have been planted square on his ass. We need some leadership from the players out there. As you can see from the article above, due to the collective bargaining rules there's only so much the Broncos brass can do from their stand-point.

MOtorboat
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Broncos can't send Marshall home with pay (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/broncos-cant-send-marshall-home-with-pay/)

Some of you have suggested that the Denver Broncos should take a page from the Jon Gruden/Andy Reid playbook and send disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall home, with pay.

Gruden did just that with receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season, giving Keyshawn an extended vacation after repeated clashes between player and coach.

Two years later, the Eagles followed a four-game unpaid suspension of receiver Terrell Owens with a suspension for the rest of the year, with pay.

Though Keyshawn didn't fight his paid vacation, the grievance filed by Owens included an attempt to force the Eagles either to let Owens back in the building or cut him loose.

The effort failed.

And so, when it was time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement after the 2005 season, the NFL Players Association slipped into the new deal language prohibiting teams from sending players home with pay.

Here's the relevant language from the provision in the current labor contract permitting maximum discipline of a four-game suspension without pay: "This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player's on-field playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator's decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player's conduct."

So while the Broncos can sit Marshall down for maximum suspensions of four games at a time in response to conduct detrimental to the team, the Broncos cannot pay him to stay out of their hair.

Fine, sit his broke ass down WITHOUT pay...

Dirk
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Call up Atwater to run on the scout team with him and accidently lay the wood to him.

CoachChaz
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM

That's a no brainer, but look at the teams that will do it. Oakland, Washington, etc. The classier teams arent going to take on this risk for a high dollar amount.

So when Brandon is makilng millions for a second rate organization it will merely cement the fact that his is a me first player. Exactly the type that we dont want on this team.

Northman
08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
That's a no brainer, but look at the teams that will do it. Oakland, Washington, etc. The classier teams arent going to take on this risk for a high dollar amount.

So when Brandon is makilng millions for a second rate organization it will merely cement the fact that his is a me first player. Exactly the type that we dont want on this team.

I believe that too. The only reason Randy Moss is a Patriot is because Oakland gave him away for a 4th! Denver saw that and said "no way" when taking anything less than what they are expecting for BM in return yet no one is biting.

claymore
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Exactly. Thats all I am saying. It does us no good to be tough guys on this. Work with Brandon so we can see maximum value on a trade.

broncfn90
08-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Let hi m sit.... the reason why we cant trade him is... well lets look a the last big trade we did with cutler... who ahh won that deal... so ya I don't trust this front office of trading people so let him sit

MOtorboat
08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
who ahh won that deal...

Just a note: You are stating a winner of a trade before one game is even played.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 10:41 AM
you can't suspend him for the year, and you can only sit his ass down for no pay for 4 games.

He can actually sit out for 10, then the team can't deny him coming back.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Just a note: You are stating a winner of a trade before one game is even played.

unless there is an injury, I would be

Superchop 7
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
This kills me.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make the team "better".

Of course you trade him, should have been done already.

But no, the national media said we shouldn't.

So we didn't.

Same national media that has been anti-bronco for years.

Talk about a set-up.

Horse sense says that you have an old regime player that needs to go.

He is a cancer.

Horse sense says that you are fine at WR without him.

He is not as important as he thinks he is to "this" team.

Horse sense says that he has value.

Rather than this being a problem, it is an opportunity.

To get better.

MOtorboat
08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
This kills me.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make the team "better".

Of course you trade him, should have been done already.

But no, the national media said we shouldn't.

So we didn't.

Same national media that has been anti-bronco for years.

Talk about a set-up.

Horse sense says that you have an old regime player that needs to go.

He is a cancer.

Horse sense says that you are fine at WR without him.

He is not as important as he thinks he is to "this" team.

Horse sense says that he has value.

Rather than this being a problem, it is an opportunity.

To get better.

It's the media's fault?

Jeebus...

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
wow... a media set-up.. thats a new one.

I don't think that how McD is handling Marshall is a direct relation on how the Cutler debacle came about is totally exclusive, however. Of course McD is feeling the pressure from the press/media/fans on this. He saw how the perception of him exploded after trading away Cutler. It has to be in McD's head.

Poet
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Exactly. Thats all I am saying. It does us no good to be tough guys on this. Work with Brandon so we can see maximum value on a trade.

Not even close to being true. The Patriots are tough guys. The Steelers are tough guys. The Ravens are tough guys. The Giants are tough guys.

Yeah, getting guys like Marshall can help teams out, and the aforementioned teams do with players who are bad people on the roster. But, those bad people aren't bad for the TEAM.

You may lose out on a great WR now, but it gives you leverage forever in the long run. If a player becomes a Bronco they know that they have no power. Ever.

underrated29
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Thats what i think. make him swet it out. No play- No pay. You want money so bad and no you are losing it....... See if that fixes your issues.

As for the poll.

Keep him, try to resign him next year. He is still a superstud and besides this hell of an offseason and hell of a schedule things have been pretty good with him.

We dont want to lose a proven player for a potential bust or a Mcd draft pick. If we cant resign him then lose him to rfa and get the pick but thats the last option.

broncophan
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
make him sit and rott.......

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
The Broncos best choice would to have Brandon be suspended, then play the remaining games. If he is tendered as a RFA at a decent level, we have to hope he signs with someone. At the very least, I think the Broncos will get a third rounder whenever he decides to leave here and sign elsewhere. (The whole UFA thing, where if you sign you get compensatory picks based on player salary and production.)

Brandon still has value, but not nearly as high as we once thought it would be. It'll likely be two years before we ever get any solid value from him -- barring a trade that comes out of absolutely nowhere. Issues and all, he is still a talented kid. This is just ridiculous.

CoachChaz
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I dont think this requires an immediate trade. Suspend him and hope he learns from it. Try to groom him as a player and a person and see what happens. If it all fails, then you do what you have to.

BigDaddyBronco
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
It's not like we are paying him a tremendous amount of money this year, even less if he is suspended and isn't making any bonuses.

You have to keep him away from the rest of the team so he isn't a distraction, but keeping him around on suspension and trading him when you are ready not when he is ready sends a powerful message to the players.

He wants to be a cancer and get out of town because that is the only way he can get paid quickly, he doesn't want to wait a year or two, he wants it now. Don't let him be a cancer and don't give him what he wants and it will do good things for the organization long term.

jrelway
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
play him in the regular season. hes gonna wanna play hard to up his trade value, which would help us. try to get a #1 pick for marshall so we can draft a good qb next year. i love marshall and this shit sucks but it is what it is. he doesnt want to be a bronco.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
we won't get a #1 for marshall

jhildebrand
08-28-2009, 12:41 PM

We're only an injury away from getting a #1 for him. One thing is certain, we wont get a #1 and 4th like the Broncos want.

For me, I know the guy is a distraction at this point, but I think it is imperative that the Broncos stand their ground with Brandon Marshall.

This team has stuck their neck out for the kid on several occasions only to be rewarded with more drama or legal troubles. Shoot, they even went so far as to give him Rod Smith as a personal chaparone to see Goodell in NY. He ruined that quickly as well.

Brandon needs to realize 31 other teams passed on him in the draft for a reason. Had the Broncos not selected him when they did, who knows when he would have been drafted. He has missed games and the team lost production because of his ways, I don't recall him crying about getting a paycheck then! I don't recall an offer to rebate any money.

I guess it comes down to this for me: you cant let the inmates run the asylum. Once one guy does it more will (It started with Cutler no matter how you want to look at it). You stick to your guns and send the message to the team that there are certain expectations. You use the two franchise tags if you have to as well!

jrelway
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM

if he plays to his potential, why not?

broncofaninfla
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM

I'd say it this point, Marshall's maturity, integrity and intelligence have been in question. He keeps repeating mistakes and did it again yesterday in practice. The guy might have all of the talent in the world but that talent does you know good if he gets suspended by the league again, which odds are will happen as it is almost certain he will do something stupid yet again. GM's might be wary to offer up ANYTHING for him at this point. If he can get on the field and blow people away and make plays, some GM's might opt for short term memory if they are in need for a quality WR and in the race for thier division title.

Simple Jaded
08-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I've said all along that resigning Marshall would be a delicate and difficult situation, so far they've displayed the aplomb of a virgin trying to work a bra for the first time but they've got to try to keep Brandon Marshall, especially if Kyle freaking Orton is the future at QB (Sobering thought).

They can't offered hemorrhage talent the way they're hemorrhaging credibility and respectability.......

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 04:32 PM

if he PLAYS to his potential, we won't be trading him. Thats the point.

TOO many WRs have been traded that got a lot less than a 1st round choice in compensation. Although it was a good point that we are only one injury away from getting a 1st for him, its highly unlikely a team will give that at this point.

skycoyote
08-28-2009, 04:53 PM
If we cut him and someone picks him up, would we have to pay him?

G_Money
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Brandon = dumbass. But we knew that.

Once again, as with Cutler, if we were going to trade him, then we should trade him before he has time to get cheesed off about it and further drop his value. If we were going to keep him we should have mollified him to make sure he would fit, and if he wouldn't fit, then trade him. But actively pissing him off when he already has drama queen potential, thus allowing him to further deteriorate his relationship with us and his trade value around the league, is just silly.

He's not going to play for us now. It's beyond that, IMO. Now he has to go. I can't see how to repair it so he plays for us at a high level to fix his trade value, and we're obviously not paying him the contract he would want to stay and be happy.

Josh'll take a 2nd and another draftpick for him, because he doesn't want to pay an extra 1st round pick that money (which is why we ditched our pick on Phonz, IMO - he's a very good player, but we didn't want 2 giant pay hits from unproven draftpicks next year) and therefore there's no reason to hold out trying to get it. We'll start with that, but we'll go for less and will prefer less. Maybe we'll trade him for two 2nds in consecutive years, since the Belichick way is to stockpile 2nds instead of firsts - similar talent, less expenditure.

But he's not gonna stay.

I expect to hear he's been traded to the Jets or Ravens for 2 picks, a 2nd and a 3rd or 2nds in consecutive years or something.

Are Jay and Brandon primadonnas? Yes. Are a lot of QBs and WRs primadonnas? Yes. Is Pro Bowl talent helpful to winning? Yes.

Can we replace this Pro Bowl, primadonna talent with other talent that might be more productive?

...Maybe, but I have my doubts.

Is it sometimes bettter to remove obstacles to team cohesion even if they're talented? Yes.

Is this one of those cases?

...Maybe, but I have my doubts.

*sighs* Just get me to the season already. Hillis should see a lot of work, hopefully Scheff can stay healthy and Royal can excel as the #1 instead of the #2, without a true #2 threat across from him to boot.

And hopefully Josh will let our running game do what it does and tear holes in some fools, because I think our now-less-talented WR corps and QB situation will require it.

As always, go Broncos.

But no more personnel miscues, accidents, pratfalls or errors in judgment for a few weeks please.

~G

Simple Jaded
08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe a Chad Henne and a No2.......maybe.

But imo, why get rid of Marshall when you don't even know what you have in McDaniels? If McDaniels completely flops as a HC you're stuck with nothing but a bunch of McDaniels' "Team-first" rejects.

I'd like to see them find out what they have in the HC before they let the HC run off anymore talented players.......

JDL
08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
if he PLAYS to his potential, we won't be trading him. Thats the point.

TOO many WRs have been traded that got a lot less than a 1st round choice in compensation. Although it was a good point that we are only one injury away from getting a 1st for him, its highly unlikely a team will give that at this point.

I actually can think of more (elite level WRs) that got 1st rd picks than didn't. Roy Williams, Deion Branch, Joey Galloway (2 f-ing 1sts!! ugh for Dallas) - of course 2 of those 3 have been Dallas...lol do they need a WR? Hey... is that another broken collarbone for Roy Williams (damn... x-ray negative.) If there was one place he could go... THAT team would not surprise me... but, I think a 1st rd pick IS possible, but the fact that Boldin cannot net one with far less concerns, makes me believe that there is NO scenario THIS season that would allow for us to get one. But, I think perhaps in the offseason if he played well, he would possibly garner that. But, you have to at least try to get the most for your assets... we got a lot for Cutler (as painful a trade as that may have been), more than what we got was probably unrealistic so at least we got reasonable trade value... which I think is absolutely imperative to do here as well, even if it takes a season to get it.

elsid13
08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
TO has more value than Brandon even now. If there is one positive about TO is that he doesnt get in trouble with the law every other month.

How the suicide attempt count?

claymore
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe a Chad Henne and a No2.......maybe.

But imo, why get rid of Marshall when you don't even know what you have in McDaniels? If McDaniels completely flops as a HC you're stuck with nothing but a bunch of McDaniels' "Team-first" rejects.

I'd like to see them find out what they have in the HC before they let the HC run off anymore talented players.......

I think we are beyond that. That was my point with Cutler. There are more Special QB's than Coaches, and I doubt McD is more special than Cutler.

We are SCREWED for 5 years at least.

Unless Im wrong, then were In great shape! :beer:

Bozo Jr.
08-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I say trade him, I don't think I can ever root for this guy again. :tsk:

Krugan
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, the way I see it, we need to just get him gone.

His value is what it is, other teams know the status of his contract, where Denver stands, and where Marshall stands.

He is a talented young man with many gifts, up to and including, the dropsies.

At this point in time, his roster spot is of more value , if I were the Broncos, then his potential to produce. Because im looking at his words, his actions, his history, and saying the risk is far greater than the reward.

To be honest, cutting him would be just as vaible to me as taking a draft pick. He needs to go before we start cutting people who may actually be able to help this team.

Tned
08-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, the way I see it, we need to just get him gone.

His value is what it is, other teams know the status of his contract, where Denver stands, and where Marshall stands.

He is a talented young man with many gifts, up to and including, the dropsies.

At this point in time, his roster spot is of more value , if I were the Broncos, then his potential to produce. Because im looking at his words, his actions, his history, and saying the risk is far greater than the reward.

To be honest, cutting him would be just as vaible to me as taking a draft pick. He needs to go before we start cutting people who may actually be able to help this team.

I understand that keeping him on the roster might mean cutting someone else, but likely that someone would be someone who rarely sees playing time.

If we don't get a decent trade offer (which I assume we won't now), then we need to get him on the field both to help us this season, but also to get his value back up.

This suspension will hurt him a 'little' bit, but if he is suspended during the regular season, it will hurt him big time financially, as will not being on the field in regular season games.

broncogirl7
08-29-2009, 10:45 PM
If we let Marshall play...how can we really trust that he has the team's best interest at heart. I don't think we can trust him, period. After watching the video from training camp, I am truly disgusted in the way he acted towards his teammates. He isn't a team player and we honestly don't need that kind of person on the team.

Tned
08-29-2009, 11:06 PM
If we let Marshall play...how can we really trust that he has the team's best interest at heart. I don't think we can trust him, period. After watching the video from training camp, I am truly disgusted in the way he acted towards his teammates. He isn't a team player and we honestly don't need that kind of person on the team.

That's silly. Do we not trust Moreno because he held out, when he could have taken a few bucks less and been in camp from day one?

There is a reason players typically have their best years in contract years, because they have their OWN interest at heart.

Lonestar
08-29-2009, 11:54 PM

The effort failed.

If I'm reading that correctly he is supended for four games after he comes back and plays "games" by not showing up to play..

and after the four games it is to him to be a good boy or get another 4 weeks .. so theoritically he could be gone for as much as 12 weeks this coming season.. dropping $550 K for each 4 week FUBAR.. or upwards of $1.65 mil for being stupid..

Lets hope he comes back with a good attitude.. but if past performance it an indication we all know that is not going to happen..:lol:

Krugan
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I understand that keeping him on the roster might mean cutting someone else, but likely that someone would be someone who rarely sees playing time.

If we don't get a decent trade offer (which I assume we won't now), then we need to get him on the field both to help us this season, but also to get his value back up.

This suspension will hurt him a 'little' bit, but if he is suspended during the regular season, it will hurt him big time financially, as will not being on the field in regular season games.

You make good points Tned, but I wouldnt keep a Marshall over say a SPencer Larson, or a Mckinely, or Swift at this point.

Im just saying cut bait, and after I heard the words of Champ tonight, abou thow long the road will eb for Marsh to win back the locker room, and the lack of trust there, I just wouldnt even bother with it.

Let his ass go, someone else can deal with it, great talent or not, there is no room for that kind of action.

TXBRONC
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
You make good points Tned, but I wouldnt keep a Marshall over say a SPencer Larson, or a Mckinely, or Swift at this point.

Im just saying cut bait, and after I heard the words of Champ tonight, abou thow long the road will eb for Marsh to win back the locker room, and the lack of trust there, I just wouldnt even bother with it.

Let his ass go, someone else can deal with it, great talent or not, there is no room for that kind of action.

I don't think it would be a good idea to just let him go he's way to talented to just him go without compensation.

Krugan
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea to just let him go he's way to talented to just him go without compensation.

You may be completely correct, I just dont feel he "deserves" to tie up a roster spot.

I would much rather move on without the headache and the chaos and the distrust.

Sadly, we more than likely wont get compensated for him at this point, and a roster spot is worth alot.

TXBRONC
08-30-2009, 11:06 PM
You may be completely correct, I just dont feel he "deserves" to tie up a roster spot.

I would much rather move on without the headache and the chaos and the distrust.

Sadly, we more than likely wont get compensated for him at this point, and a roster spot is worth alot.

We need him Krug. I would like to hope his teammates can help get straightened out.