PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Freeney could be target of New Orleans Saints

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2013, 09:55 PM
The New Orleans Saints continue to wait on a decision by free agent Nnamdi Asomugha. If the cornerback chooses the San Francisco 49ers, a play for free-agent defensive end Dwight Freeney could be next.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153503/article/dwight-freeney-could-be-target-of-new-orleans-saints

AND

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

Broncos have talked with Tom Condon today regarding Dwight Freeney but no deal imminent.

BroncoWave
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Good, I hope he goes there and we get Abraham. I don't really understand at all why we are targeting Freeney over Abraham.

Dzone
03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Sign Abraham. He will make us forget Dupervile
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/3/25/4142040/john-abraham-questionable-return

Gamechanger
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
either way you all go, it'll unfortunately be a step down from Dumervil

Ziggy
03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Freeney already stated that he wasn't comfortable playing in a 3-4 defense, which is what the Saints are moving to. I don't see him going there unless all other options are exhausted.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Y'all just better hope Denver gets one of them.......Jeremy Beal, people.

TXBRONC
03-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Y'all just better hope Denver gets one of them.......Jeremy Beal, people.

We have Ayers he's ready to have breakout year. :coffee:

CoachChaz
03-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Good, I hope he goes there and we get Abraham. I don't really understand at all why we are targeting Freeney over Abraham.

Because Freeney has more skill.

TXBRONC
03-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Whatever Denver is planning I hope they get it done soon because Freeney and Abraham wont be on the market forever.

UnderArmour
03-26-2013, 08:40 AM

No kidding. Abraham has been the Falcons entire pass rush these past few seasons. While he's definitely lost a step, he's still a dominant pass rusher when he needs to be. Injuries are a concern though. A Freeney signing is purely to appease Manning.

I also think we should get in the mix for Osi. Manning is a great quarterback and all, but he should not be making defensive personnel decisions for us. Osi is the best FA DE on the market so screw Freeney, make the switch to Osi. He's a better option than Abraham or Freeney.

TXBRONC
03-26-2013, 09:26 AM
No kidding. Abraham has been the Falcons entire pass rush these past few seasons. While he's definitely lost a step, he's still a dominant pass rusher when he needs to be. Injuries are a concern though. A Freeney signing is purely to appease Manning.

I also think we should get in the mix for Osi. Manning is a great quarterback and all, but he should not be making defensive personnel decisions for us. Osi is the best FA DE on the market so screw Freeney, make the switch to Osi. He's a better option than Abraham or Freeney.

I disagree on Umenyoria. First, I don't see how he's the best defensive end available. By the numbers you can look at Abraham has been a more productive. Each of the last two his numbers have gone down while Abraham's have remained consistent. Second he's been a head case so I would go him only as last resort.

I'm not sure signing Freeney would be done appease Manning.

The way it looks to me all three of them about the same with Abraham being the best of the three.

turftoad
03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
I disagree on Umenyoria. First, I don't see how he's the best defensive end available. By the numbers you can look at Abraham has been a more productive. Each of the last two his numbers have gone down while Abraham's have remained consistent. Second he's been a head case so I would go him only as last resort.

I'm not sure signing Freeney would be done appease Manning.

The way it looks to me all three of them about the same with Abraham being the best of the three.
The thing I think of is that Osi is the youngest of the three. He can play the run as well.
At this point Doom is gone so it doesn't matter which one we sign. I think they would all be equally productive.

TXBRONC
03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
The thing I think of is that Osi is the youngest of the three. He can play the run as well.
At this point Doom is gone so it doesn't matter which one we sign. I think they would all be equally productive.

Freeney is older by about 9 months but they're both 32 years of age or more. While Abraham is older I think he'll come the closest to Dumervil's production I do see either Umenyoria or Freeney being able to do that. The biggest thing with Umenyoria is that he has reputation of being a head case.

jhildebrand
03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck."--HHDL.

That is the quote that comes to mind every time I think of this situation the Broncos are in.

Superchop 7
03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Not a fit in a 3-4.....now he has annoyed me.....get Abraham.

broncofaninfla
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I read where Freeny wants the same money we offered Doom before he bailed. Not happening so I doubt he'll sign with us. Also hard to believe he'll sign with the Saints given their swtch to the 3/4. Though DE is now a need, I don't want to see Denver over pay for the need.

BroncoWave
03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
I read where Freeny wants the same money we offered Doom before he bailed. Not happening so I doubt he'll sign with us. Also hard to believe he'll sign with the Saints given their swtch to the 3/4. Though DE is now a need, I don't want to see Denver over pay for the need.

If that's true then Freeny is insane. 8 mil would make him the highest paid DE of this FA class. No way in the world he warrants that. Good luck to him in that endeavor.

BroncoNut
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
saints my ass. keep your head low Dwight

dogfish
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
freeney's not worth risking more than two or three million, he should go straight to hell if he's asking for eight. . . osi is pure, toxic poison-- i'd pay to keep that piece of crap away from our locker room. . . get abe if he'll sign for a reasonable price, otherwise just forget about it and move on. . . i'll be ill if we pay freeney six or eight million, at his age and recent performance level. . .

Mike
03-26-2013, 01:40 PM
I won't be surprised to see the Broncos go with Ayers and also address it in the draft.

Lancane
03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
I say screw all of em', they have the draft picks, I say draft a couple and move on.

Rick
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I won't be surprised to see the Broncos go with Ayers and also address it in the draft.

I expect that as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ayers paired with Wolf on normal downs and then they have a dedicated pass rusher that they draft(or is on the roster) come in on passing downs.