PDA

View Full Version : Fun Fact

SR
03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Champ Bailey ran a 4.28 40 at the Combine in 1999. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie ran a 4.29.

chazoe60
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
And Chris Harris is slow. Long live Flacco!!!!

SR
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
And Chris Harris is slow. Long live Flacco!!!!

Trindon Holliday also ran a 4.29. Sadly, Darrent Williams ran a 4.30.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
according to this site's stats, that's not close. As I've read before, Bo Jackson has always had the fastest 40 time, and that was back in 1986.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/fastest-40-yard-dash-times-in-nfl-history/

SR
03-25-2013, 08:52 PM
according to this site's stats, that's not close. As I've read before, Bo Jackson has always had the fastest 40 time, and that was back in 1986.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/fastest-40-yard-dash-times-in-nfl-history/

You're right. The stats I looked at were Wikipedia stats so shame on me for that. I looked at several other sites after reading your post, so I did edit my OP. either way, two (at one time) sub 4.30 CBs is a fast tandem.

Simple Jaded
03-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Harris run far.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Champ would be a fast safety.

DenBronx
03-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Champ ran that 10 years ago.

He's prob a 4.5 guy now.

Ehhh Harris is going to grab the #1 spot soon anyway.

Ziggy
03-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Bo Jackson is still the greatest athlete I've seen in my lifetime. 230 pounds, 4.12 40, and great instincts in both sports.

DenBronx
03-26-2013, 06:06 AM
But MJ played for the White Sox

Dapper Dan
03-26-2013, 06:46 AM
But MJ played for the White Sox

Yeah. And MJ never played for Oakland. Which is another plus.

chazoe60
03-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Bo Jackson the athlete>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MJ the athlete. It really isn't close.

rationalfan
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
greatest athletes i've seen in my lifetime, in terms of raw athletic skill (not gamesmanship/tactical abilities):

bo jackson: amazing blend of skill and powerful athleticism.
michael jordan: the greatest basketball player ever was rumored to have long jumped 26 feet in high school; that would have qualified him for the olympic team.
randy moss: attitude aside, i've never seen anyone as fast on the football field, he ran by speedy Dbacks as if they were standing still.
usain bolt: his speed/size combination is unreal.
allen iverson: again, ignore his attitude, because the guy's ability to dominate a game at his height was only paralleled by his amazing athletic skills.
deion sanders: his speed was awesome, his ability to succeed in two sports, at the same time, was marvelous.
vince carter: watch his career highlights and you see a guy who looks like he could dominate in track (long jump/high jump/decathlon).

Dapper Dan
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
John Elway is the best. Ever. At everything. Especially at life. John is awesome at life.

Chef Zambini
03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Bo Jackson is still the greatest athlete I've seen in my lifetime. 230 pounds, 4.12 40, and great instincts in both sports.

the sports science ESPN, world 's greartest athlete agrees with you.
I said JIM THORPE and was stunned and discounted the entire process when THORPE wasnt even mentioned thru the entire brackets and process !

Chef Zambini
03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
until this year I would haVE SAID LANCE ARMSTRONG.
NONE OF YOU KNOW WHO EDDIE MERCXX IS.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
deion sanders: his speed was awesome, his ability to succeed in two sports, at the same time, was marvelous.

I'm not sure you can say that Deion succeeded at both sports. He tried to play baseball and football at the same time, but absolutely sucked at baseball. Bo Jackson, on the other hand, made the pro-bowl in football and the all-star game in baseball. He actually DID succeed in both sports.. although never a "Great" baseball player, I truly he would have been a HoF football player had it not been for his degenerative hip.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure you can say that Deion succeeded at both sports. He tried to play baseball and football at the same time, but absolutely sucked at baseball. Bo Jackson, on the other hand, made the pro-bowl in football and the all-star game in baseball. He actually DID succeed in both sports.. although never a "Great" baseball player, I truly he would have been a HoF football player had it not been for his degenerative hip.

Bo Jackson might have gone down as one of the greatest power hitters of all time if he would have focused on baseball. I remember him hitting a ball about 450 feet in an all star game, which he was the MVP of. There for a few years he was one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

chazoe60
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
the sports science ESPN, world 's greartest athlete agrees with you.
I said JIM THORPE and was stunned and discounted the entire process when THORPE wasnt even mentioned thru the entire brackets and process !
Don't discount the entire show because of that. If you had watched to the end you would have seen why. They only allowed one entrant per category and Bo Jackson narrowly beat out Thorpe in the multi-sport category. In fact they did a segment where they ranked everyone regardless of seeding and using their metric Bo came in first and Thorpe came in second. It was a cool show.

Superchop 7
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Have to go with Babe Didrikson best athlete ever.....look her up sometime.....amazing.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Bo Jackson might have gone down as one of the greatest power hitters of all time if he would have focused on baseball. I remember him hitting a ball about 450 feet in an all star game, which he was the MVP of. There for a few years he was one of the most feared hitters in baseball.

I remember hearing and interview from a catcher of an opposing team talking about Bo Jackson. He was recalling a game in which Bo was rounding third and heading home.... and looking to be like a train coming down at him at full speed. He said

"Man, I'm glad Bo was a good guy. I'm not a small guy, and Bo was about knee high coming at lightning speed, and I'm thinking he's going to just CRUSH me at the plate. But instead, he comes in, and (although he was only 2 feet off the ground)... picks me up and gently lays me down on the grass past the plate. That man was a beast."

Although he was a Raider, and that was the worst thing against him, I TRULY wish he could have stayed healthy to play football. I honestly think he would have been SOOO amazing to watch, that we would have seen some incredible history being made.

chazoe60
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Another thing about Bo, he was a great guy. Very nice man from all accounts.

rationalfan
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM

i think this is an example of fans being a little too selective. deion played well for a world series team, with the braves. that's the very definition of success.

also: in 1992 he hit .304 for the team, stole 26 bases, and led the NL with 14 triples in 97 games.
that's pretty damn good for a one-sport athlete, much less a football player.

sounds less "success" to me.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
i think this is an example of fans being a little too selective. deion played well for a world series team, with the braves. that's the very definition of success.

also: in 1992 he hit .304 for the team, stole 26 bases, and led the NL with 14 triples in 97 games.
that's pretty damn good for a one-sport athlete, much less a football player.

sounds less "success" to me.

I remember when he was playing, and watched him play. I just don't recall people thinking of him as a good baseball player. Now I get baseball is all about the numbers and that's how people are judged. But Deion was not considered a good baseball player by the baseball people at the time. Sure he was fast.... but eh.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Another thing about Bo, he was a great guy. Very nice man from all accounts.

and despite having the speech impediment, he's no dummy. He's very business smart.

rationalfan
03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I remember when he was playing, and watched him play. I just don't recall people thinking of him as a good baseball player. Now I get baseball is all about the numbers and that's how people are judged. But Deion was not considered a good baseball player by the baseball people at the time. Sure he was fast.... but eh.

i remember people criticizing him for not being an all-around ball player (no power, fielding was OK), which was true. but that's a sizable segment of the full-time baseball players.

personally, i think much of the old guard baseball establishment just didn't like deion; his swagger, his bravado, his fashion, his ability to flout the MLB with the reality that he didn't need them. he didn't fit their mold and they judged him more harshly than he deserved.

coincidentally, when he quit baseball I quit watching it.

rationalfan
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
and despite having the speech impediment, he's no dummy. He's very business smart.

right on. the most impressive thing about his 30 for 30 episode was his view on life and the understanding that sports didn't define him. i got the impression he's happier now than when he was ripping up the NFL.

chazoe60
03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
coincidentally, when he quit baseball I quit watching it.

That's extremely irrational.

BroncoNut
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Champ would be a fast safety.

and a safe fasty!

BroncoNut
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM

what do you mean business smart? marketing, production, salesmanship, financing... ..... give me a break

NightTrainLayne
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Bo Jackson the athlete>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MJ the athlete. It really isn't close.

Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe are likely the best athletes ever. Certainly during the 20th Century. Jim Thorpe was probably a greater athlete overall.

BroncoNut
03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
all around I'd agree with you guys on Bo. not sure about Thorpe, .. before my time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I remember hearing and interview from a catcher of an opposing team talking about Bo Jackson. He was recalling a game in which Bo was rounding third and heading home.... and looking to be like a train coming down at him at full speed. He said

"Man, I'm glad Bo was a good guy. I'm not a small guy, and Bo was about knee high coming at lightning speed, and I'm thinking he's going to just CRUSH me at the plate. But instead, he comes in, and (although he was only 2 feet off the ground)... picks me up and gently lays me down on the grass past the plate. That man was a beast."

Although he was a Raider, and that was the worst thing against him, I TRULY wish he could have stayed healthy to play football. I honestly think he would have been SOOO amazing to watch, that we would have seen some incredible history being made.

Yeah I know....all these years later I can actually recall the Mike Harden hit with only a little pain hidden by my chuckle.

I've talked to my son about Bo Jackson. I told him he was like Adrian Peterson with 15 pounds of muscle added on. It may be a long time before we see a guy with that kind of freakish athleticism again......although Von Miller is close. :D

Ravage!!!
03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah I know....all these years later I can actually recall the Mike Harden hit with only a little pain hidden by my chuckle.

I've talked to my son about Bo Jackson. I told him he was like Adrian Peterson with 15 pounds of muscle added on. It may be a long time before we see a guy with that kind of freakish athleticism again......although Von Miller is close. :D

Yeah...Bo was not only thicker, but faster. He could completely run over you, or out run anyone in the NFL. Olympic sprinter speed.

Nomad
03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
all around I'd agree with you guys on Bo. not sure about Thorpe, .. before my time.

Top would know:D

BroncoNut
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Top would know:D

maybe. I just think it's pretty arrogant when people evaluate and make comparisons between modern day athletes and athletes before their time. the sport was different and you weren't there. so piss off I say

Lancane
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
My favorite athlete of all time has to be William 'Refrigerator' Perry, he didn't have the fastest 40, but damn he was a beast and could do a lot more then simply get to the quarterback.

BroncoNut
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
My favorite athlete of all time has to be William 'Refrigerator' Perry, he didn't have the fastest 40, but damn he was a beast and could do a lot more then simply get to the quarterback.

what position was he? He was huge.

Lancane
03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
what position was he? He was huge.

He was drafted as a defensive tackle, but Buddy Ryan refused to play him in his defense so Ditka used him as a fullback, eventually Ryan submitted and he proved to be a solid tackle.

Not sure if it's still holds, but for the longest time he had the largest sized Super Bowl Championship ring in the NFL.