PDA

View Full Version : Trindon Holliday on Offense?

aulaza
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I know he is a returner only, but if you remember he did play a few snaps on Offense last year. They seemed to be trying to use him a a 'space player'. For some reason, after using him (i think it may have been the home game vs SD) they didn't do it again. Was this simply due to his fumbling issues (although these were only off of punts)? Does anyone think he could play some type of role?

Personally I don't think we could use him as a WR running routes, at best use him on screens or as a decoy. Probably would do more harm than good, but the fact that they used him at all is interesting - will they go there again?

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I only think it's possible if Stokley doesnt come back. I think they might try and few trick plays, niche plays here and there but I don't want to see them use Holiday like the Bears tried to use Hester. These guys are purely return guys and they should just focus on taking it to the house everytime they get the ball. With Welker, Thomas, Decker, Tamme, Moreno and McGahee, Manning already is loaded with options.

It would also help us keep Holliday healthy and keep him hungry to do returns. He's not Percy Harvin where he can play multiple roles...

Rick
03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
A screen here and there or a reverse maybe here and there to keep defenses guessing and maybe catch them off guard once in awhile might be fine but I don't think I would ever trust or want him running a real route.

NightTerror218
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Only way he would be used is a Sproles type role. Short screen ball or reverse. Just like Rick said. He can not block and does not have the best hands.

MOtorboat
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
No.

BroncoWave
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
No.

You always bring the hard-hitting insight Mo!

MOtorboat
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
You always bring the hard-hitting insight Mo!

They didn't bring in Wes Welker to put Trindon Holliday in the slot.

You've got two decent tight ends, two up and coming outside receivers and possibly the best slot receiver of this generation (arguably ever). There's really no reason to use Holliday on offense.

BroncoWave
03-25-2013, 05:24 PM

You've got two decent tight ends, two up and coming outside receivers and possibly the best slot receiver of this generation (arguably ever). There's really no reason to use Holliday on offense.

On a regular basis, no, but bringing him in to change the pace once or twice a game couldn't hurt. Didn't we do that a few times last year?

MOtorboat
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
On a regular basis, no, but bringing him in to change the pace once or twice a game couldn't hurt. Didn't we do that a few times last year?

He had two catches against Carolina. One went for 15, the other for two.

BroncoWave
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
He had two catches against Carolina. One went for 15, the other for two.

Oh ok, seems like I remember more than that. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try occasionally. He certainly shouldn't be taking snaps away from Welker, but he's a good enough athlete to be able to fit into some sort of gimmick package that we could run occasionally.

He didn't have any time at all to really learn Manning's offense last year, now he has a whole offseason. I'm sure Gase could find some use for him.

Ziggy
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM

We have 2 very average tight ends actually. Tamme is decent as a receiver and is an average to poor blocker. Dreesen is a good blocker, but a decent to poor receiver. Virgil Green is a wildcard, but I wouldn't be shocked if Elway took a guy like Eifert in the first round. He would give the Broncos a good blocker and great receiver on the field in one player. A base formation of Eifert, Welker, Decker, and DT out there together would give the Broncos far more flexibility than they have now, and 2 serious threats over the middle of the field.

I know that TE isn't as pressing as other needs, but I think John will go with BPA in the first round. That could be a guy like Eifert. He has the ability to be a Shannon Sharpe type of tight end.

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I just don't see where Holiday fits the normal offense. Trick plays maybe but there's no way in hell he's an upgrade over Welker. I don't see ONE scenario that would require Welker sitting on the bench to bring in Holiday, not one. We won't need the trick plays anyway because Manning will execute the offense to perfection, he's the effin General!

Maybe Holiday will be put in a optie dope or rb/wr reverse type thing but that's really about it. This is boarder line asking Tebow to play WR territory.

Ziggy
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
The one thing that the Broncos offense lacks is speed. DT has good speed for his size, but who do we have that can take a play and take it to the house on any given play? No one. I could see them bringing out Holliday every now and then to add that home run threat. He doesn't have to line up in the slot. He could line up in the backfield for swing passes, or line up outside for reverses or short routes.

BroncoWave
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
The one thing that the Broncos offense lacks is speed. DT has good speed for his size, but who do we have that can take a play and take it to the house on any given play? No one. I could see them bringing out Holliday every now and then to add that home run threat. He doesn't have to line up in the slot. He could line up in the backfield for swing passes, or line up outside for reverses or short routes.

Exactly. No one is suggesting he play in the slot or take plays from welker. Just that we use him as a change of pace guy occasionally. He's so dynamic as a returner I can't imagine he has no value on the occasional offensive play as well.

Slick
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I was wishing they played him at rb in the baltimore game when moreno went down. He was hot that game and he's way faster than hillman. I thought he played rb some at lsu but i'm not sure. Anyways, it's not like I want him to play rb, it was just a thought i had when we were on the ropes in that game.

Dapper Dan
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
I think he could bring the ball up the middle. He could sneak by linemen that are 6-6 to 6-8. Like a little Muggsy Bogues.

cmc0605
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a "Trindon Holliday package", run less than five times a game or so (depending on opponent), where the purpose would be to get him in space with the ball, or as a decoy.

Of course, he would not be a consistent player on the offense.

FanInAZ
03-25-2013, 11:16 PM

How about injuries? There're going to happen & you want all of your players to be ready to step up in case they start piling up. I'd certainly hope that they don't dislike Holliday as an offensive player so much that they'd rather try to adopt the old Notre Dame "4 Horseman" offense then to let him come in to play WR.

aulaza
03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
I think he could bring the ball up the middle. He could sneak by linemen that are 6-6 to 6-8. Like a little Muggsy Bogues.

I would be a little unsure of this; obviously none of us have seen him in practice, but I think fumbling may be a issue if we used him on draws/regular running plays.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
I would be a little unsure of this; obviously none of us have seen him in practice, but I think fumbling may be a issue if we used him on draws/regular running plays.

Stick em. It works for San Diego.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2013, 06:45 AM
I played a game on Madden lastnight with Holliday in the slot. He dropped over half of his passes.

Rick
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I played a game on Madden lastnight with Holliday in the slot. He dropped over half of his passes.

If the EA developers call it then...

/End Thread.