PDA

View Full Version : Aiming to Strike Fear

Lonestar
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
August 27th, 2009 - 5:00pm by Zach Eisendrath

Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer stopped to talk with the media on his way off the field following the club’s afternoon practice on Thursday, and the eight-year NFL coaching veteran used the opportunity to address a wide range of questions regarding his unit.

Without hesitation, Priefer made it clear that he has high expectations for his special teams playmakers this season.

“Like I told the guys the first meeting we had back in the spring with our full team,” Priefer said. “Part of our philosophy is that we want to be the most feared special teams unit in the NFL.”

Extremely familiar with the landscape of the AFC West after spending the last three seasons as Kansas City’s special teams coordinator, Priefer labeled San Diego’s special teams unit as tops in the division.

But he believes that the players who comprise his unit can compete with the Chargers as the class of the division if they display a number of attributes.

“We need to be tough, we have to be disciplined,” Priefer said. “We have to have great effort and play with great enthusiasm. And if we’ve got those things, plus the tools with the people that we have, I think we have an opportunity to get a lot better.”

Royal Still in the Mix

Throughout the course of training camp, Eddie Royal was routinely positioned back deep, returning punts. While he has not been used on special teams yet this preseason, Priefer would still like to get the speedy second-year player involved with the unit this season.

“I would hope so,” Priefer said. “I just think he is involved in so much on offense that we have to make sure we are keeping an eye on that and how many reps he is getting. If he could do all of it, I’d be jumping on the table. But I was told when we interviewed back in January that Eddie would not be doing as much as he’s done here in the past, which I understand.”

Preseason Evaluations

After watching Brett Kern and Britton Colquitt battle at punter, Priefer said he believes both have futures in the NFL, calling the race at the position “pretty neck and neck.”

Kicker Matt Prater has drawn rave reviews from Priefer, too. Priefer was impressed with Prater last year as he watched him from the Kansas City sideline, and he thinks Prater will only continue to improve — like any young player — as he gets more comfortable with the NFL game.

“I think he’s got a lot of tools and he’s only getting better,” Priefer said. “He gotten stronger, he’s got a great work ethic. He’s a good kid, he wants to get better. He knows his craft. For a young guy, he’s only going to continue and get better.”

QUICK HITS:

At the onset of Thursday’s practice, a few players displayed an array of dance moves as Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” boomed out on the field during team stretches. Secondary counterparts David Bruton and Joshua Bell were two of the club’s more enthusiastic dancers during the song.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels took snaps from center during a 7-on-7 walkthrough at the beginning of practice. Playing quarterback, McDaniels called plays in the huddle and worked with offensive skill players on proper technique.

Secondary coach Ed Donatell worked with his unit on intercepting deep passes at their high point. When players were unable to snag in the passes, they would routinely punish themselves with miscues. Brian Dawkins, sporting a heavily taped right hand, was excused from the pushups after watching one pass slip throw his grasp.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/aiming-to-strike-fear/

dogfish
08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
“Like I told the guys the first meeting we had back in the spring with our full team,” Priefer said. “Part of our philosophy is that we want to be the most feared special teams unit in the NFL.”

shiiiiiiit! most feared by their own fans, maybe. . . . :fear:

right now i'd settle for a thoroughly mediocre unit that doesn't routinely fumble kicks and punts, get torched by big returns, and get our punts blocked. . . . naturally i appluad his ambition, but talk's cheap, and ya gotta crawl before you can walk. . .

Lonestar
08-27-2009, 07:31 PM

right now i'd settle for a thoroughly mediocre unit that doesn't routinely fumble kicks and punts, get torched by big returns, and get our punts blocked. . . . naturally i appluad his ambition, but talk's cheap, and ya gotta crawl before you can walk. . .

until the second half last week I thought they had made HUGE improvements.. over last year..

especially in the punting team almost every punt had the gunners down watching the ball come down.. and I might add on at least two of those occasions Paxton the snapper was right along side the rest of the gunners..

OrangeHoof
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Did Kansas City's special teams do anything noteworthy after that little Aggie midget left?

KC is so bad they now have a Succup as their placekicker.

T.K.O.
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
fear this !:salute:hillis is gonna bring back the mile high salute

TXBRONC
08-27-2009, 10:07 PM

You can't take two steps backwards for just one step forward.