PDA

View Full Version : DO the Broncos sign former New Mexico Lobo and Beef AAU roommate Urlacher?

BeefStew25
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Lets get this over with. I say no.

BroncoWave
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I say no as well.

NightTerror218
03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
No way

BroncoJoe
03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
He was a Lobo? Really?

SR
03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
AAU? African American University?

BroncoWave
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
He was a Lobo? Really?

Yep. My college roommate is a huge Lobo and Bears fan so I heard about Urlacher all the time.

UnderArmour
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Urlacher would be a great addition to the Broncos at the right price. He's an upgrade over Keith Brooking and Joe Mays from last year both in skill and leadership.

topscribe
03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Urlacher would be a great addition to the Broncos at the right price. He's an upgrade over Keith Brooking and Joe Mays from last year both in skill and leadership.
Brooking did quite well last year. Truly, he was a godsend . . .

zbeg
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM

He was very underrated. It's probably a tall order to expect that production for another year, but I agree. He played really well.

Urlacher's getting released for a reason. He's old and slow and not really what the Broncos need IMO. If he wants to come in for some ridiculous low price then sure, but that's not realistic.

Joel
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
He was, but we only got him because he'd slowed due to age, and now he's a year older; we still don't have an answer at MLB unless one of our old draft picks proves as good as Elway and Co. think.

IF the price were right, sure, Urlacher would be even more more heaven sent; I'd love to have him for 2-3 years as the last piece to put us over the top before Manning and Champ retire.

HOWEVER, I don't see how. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe our cap space is basically what Doom would've made if not released or restructured. About $4 million of that is STILL committed whatever we do, leaving ~$8 million to sign a solid pass rusher, Urlacher and this years draft picks. Even with the rookie cap I don't see that summing to zero, especially if we can't re-sign Doom (ironically, he may be both our cheapest AND most expensive pass rushing option, because he's the ONLY one we can offer the $4 million of dead money he's created.) So Urlacher seems a great idea except for the tiny detail of impossibility.

zbeg
03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Even with the rookie cap I don't see that summing to zero, especially if we can't re-sign Doom (ironically, he may be both our cheapest AND most expensive pass rushing option, because he's the ONLY one we can offer the $4 million of dead money he's created.)

That $4 million is dead no matter what happens. It doesn't matter if the Broncos sign Dumervil, Freeney, Bruce Smith, or Batman. It's gone.

Money paid for Dumervil works the same way capwise as money paid for anyone else at this point.

Az Snake
03-20-2013, 08:31 PM
He was a Lobo? Really?

Urlacher played safety for New Mexico.

NO.

Nomad
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Is there a rule in the NFL about a team signing too many white guys?:D

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Urlacher was such a beast in college. Returned punts, caught TD passes as a TE in goal line package, and played the "rover" position in a 3-3-5 formation. It was fun watching him play.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Brad Jones.......

BeefStew25
03-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Urlacher was such a beast in college. Returned punts, caught TD passes as a TE in goal line package, and played the "rover" position in a 3-3-5 formation. It was fun watching him play.

I played against and with him in hoops, and he was a freak. After practice we would all watch him shower.

Lancane
03-20-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm in the minority, because I am all for it. Yes, I know Urlacher has lost a step, but the Bears offered him a one year 2 million dollar offer, if Denver signed him to a two-year 4.5 million dollar offer, then we get one of the most inspirational defensive leaders of the modern era, and that alone IMHO is worth the price, could you imagine what Urlacher could do for Von Miller and the rest of Denver's linebacker corps., especially given that he'd have a chance on a team that is one of the favorites to win it all? It would be a huge Coup d'état for the Broncos...Manning, Urlacher and Bailey on the same team chasing a Championship? What he could do for Johnson, Irving, Trevathan and Miller at this stage in their careers?

We have a 37 year old quarterback, a 34 year old cornerback, we are talking about the team signing Abraham or Freeney, but are opposed to Urlacher who is second only to Ray Lewis in terms of presence at the position?

BroncoWave
03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm in the minority, because I am all for it. Yes, I know Urlacher has lost a step, but the Bears offered him a one year 2 million dollar offer, if Denver signed him to a two-year 4.5 million dollar offer, then we get one of the most inspirational defensive leaders of the modern era, and that alone IMHO is worth the price, could you imagine what Urlacher could do for Von Miller and the rest of Denver's linebacker corps., especially given that he'd have a chance on a team that is one of the favorites to win it all? It would be a huge Coup d'état for the Broncos...Manning, Urlacher and Bailey on the same team chasing a Championship? What he could do for Johnson, Irving, Trevathan and Miller at this stage in their careers?

We have a 37 year old quarterback, a 34 year old cornerback, we are talking about the team signing Abraham or Freeney, but are opposed to Urlacher who is second only to Ray Lewis in terms of presence at the position?

Vic Lombardi reported the Broncos have no interest, he cited the same source that told him Denver had no interest in Revis or Bush.

Lancane
03-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Vic Lombardi reported the Broncos have no interest, he cited the same source that told him Denver had no interest in Revis or Bush.

I'm not saying they do have interest in him B, just that it wouldn't be a bad signing. Much like Abraham or Freeney he'd be a one or two year rental but one that could actually help many on the defense become better just by him rubbing off on them and from them learning from him.

TXBRONC
03-21-2013, 06:51 AM
If Urlacher's former college roommate says no then it's got to be no.

I always wondered why Urlacher was skidish about having people stand behind him. Now I know.

BeefStew25
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
If Urlacher's former college roommate says no then it's got to be no.

I always wondered why Urlacher was skidish about having people stand behind him. Now I know.

Real cute.

TXBRONC
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Real cute.

You said you liked watching him shower.

BeefStew25
03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
You said you liked watching him shower.

He was like the first dude to utilize a loofa.

TXBRONC
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
He was like the first dude to utilize a loofa.

I don't think that makes it any less creepy Beef.

BeefStew25
03-21-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't think that makes it any less creepy Beef.

Wait. This is coming off all wrong.

TXBRONC
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Wait. This is coming off all wrong.

I'm not sure it's good idea to ask you to explain further but feel free to do so or not.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

Lancane
03-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

Watcha talkin' bout Willis? :confused:

Lancane
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
The Bears signed a replacement for Urlacher, former Denver Bronco D.J. Williams has been signed to man the middle of the Bears Defense.

DenBronx
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM

I feel ya on that. Urlacher would mean more to this team than Freeney.

Too bad we couldnt just sign Dume back AND get Urlacher. <--- one of these two players getting more this year and the other getting more next year.

DenBronx
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
The Bears signed a replacement for Urlacher, former Denver Bronco D.J. Williams has been signed to man the middle of the Bears Defense.

Kind of a head scratcher why we didnt just try DJ in the middle here with this defense. Maybe they did in practices and Del Rio just didnt like what he saw. Urlacher makes alot of sense here in Denver.....he just gets a better shade of orange and blue and a chance to win.

MOtorboat
03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Kind of a head scratcher why we didnt just try DJ in the middle here with this defense. Maybe they did in practices and Del Rio just didnt like what he saw. Urlacher makes alot of sense here in Denver.....he just gets a better shade of orange and blue and a chance to win.

It appears Denver was ready to move on. I would have taken him for $2 million, probably not for $6 though (if I was running the team).

Rick
03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Ya I think it was a case of wanting to move on after the off the field issues.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Watcha talkin' bout Willis? :confused:

It's a Seinfeld thing.......

Joel
03-22-2013, 11:36 PM
DJ SUCKED at 4-3 MLB when we tried it from necessity. It really surprised me because he's always been so savvy at Sam and Will, but he was truly lost at Mike. It was different when he played ILB in our 3-4 because he could just drop back in coverage all the time while Doom racked up sacks, but the only thing he did as a 4-3 Mike was remind us all how good Wilson was. I really hated losing the guy, because he played with heart and a high motor and was a versatile stud at Sam, Will and as a 3-4 ILB (he last full season he played he led the team in tackles, as usual,) but he was awful as a 4-3 ILB. He was a lot younger then, so maybe he's better now; I guess the Bears will know soon enough.

If we've got the money Urlacher seems like a no brainer since MLB is the one critical hole which we have NOTHING to fill, but everyone keeps saying Elway and Co. are very high on the Mikes we've drafted the past couple years, and all their actions seem to support that. Hopefully the kids are finally good enough; it frankly worries me, because that's a key leadership position that usually demands experience even the most talented players usually lack when young (e.g. DJ Williams ca. 2006.)

Jsteve01
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Doom deserves more than Urlacher at this point but I'm with the group that wants us to sign him.

DenBronx
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Will Brian Urlacher end up in AFC West?

On Saturday, ESPN analyst John Clayton was discussing the options for free-agent linebacker Brian Urlacher on "SportsCenter."

UrlacherTwo of the potential suitors Clayton mentioned reside in the AFC West -- the Denver Broncos and the Oakland Raiders.

I got a chance to speak to Clayton about his thoughts. He made it clear that it was purely speculation based on potential fits. He said he doesn’t think either team would make a fast play for the former Chicago Bears star. Clayton explained that the market for Urlacher has been very slow and it’s difficult to think of potential suitors.

Clayton linked him to Denver because the team added veteran Keith Brooking late last summer. Clayton said he could foresee a situation where Denver looked to Urlacher if it didn't like what it had in training camp. Still, the team did sign veteran Stewart Bradley and he will be pushed by third-year player Nate Irving. Denver may be in better shape at middle linebacker this year than last year when it made the Brooking move.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/56520/will-brian-urlacher-end-up-in-afc-west

DenBronx
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I still think Urlacher is a monster in the middle. He would be a huge upgrade.

Sign Abraham or Freeney then pick up Urlacher. If a DE or MLB falls to 28 then pick up the best one then look to round 2 for the other. Short term and long term handled.

Lancane
03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
People on this board have a real hard-on for a mike linebacker in the draft! :laugh:

Even analysts are saying we're better this year at the position, but the fans want another Al Wilson.

MOtorboat
03-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Sign Abraham or Freeney then pick up Urlacher. If a DE or MLB falls to 28 then pick up the best one then look to round 2 for the other. Short term and long term handled.

There's only two (maybe) that are worthy of a first round pick.

TXBRONC
03-25-2013, 06:26 AM
People on this board have a real hard-on for a mike linebacker in the draft! :laugh:

Even analysts are saying we're better this year at the position, but the fans want another Al Wilson.

I liked Al Wilson but he wasn't without his flaws. He could lay the lumber on a ball carrier and could mover latterally and vertically as any linebacker in league at that time. However, Al didn't always do a good job wrapping up and he would flat out whiff on tackles from time to time.

TXBRONC
03-25-2013, 06:35 AM

I don't think he's still a monster. He's going be 35 years of age in May. As it is Denver is going to be picking up a 33 or 35 year old defensive end. Adding aged players because they were once superstars isn't always a great idea.

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
There's only two (maybe) that are worthy of a first round pick.

Who are you thinking? Ogletree and Minter?

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't think he's still a monster. He's going be 35 years of age in May. As it is Denver is going to be picking up a 33 or 35 year old defensive end. Adding aged players because they were once superstars isn't always a great idea.

If age is your only reasoning then I would point you back to his production. Not saying he's a LTA for MLB but like Brooking, Urlacher could come in, start and make an impact. I don't like the idea of having a bunch of old guys on defense either but I think you could sign an older vet for cheap late in FA plus draft a young guy early. I still think MLB and DE are our two top priorities. DE wouldnt have been such a priority if we simply could have kept Dume, now it is and that's even if we sign Freeney. Freeney is only 33(3 years older than Elvis), so I think he still has a good 5 years left in him, which is enough while were are on the Manning train.

My first choice is for us to take a MLB in round 1. It's been that way for a very long time now...years even. Preferably someone hard hitting with a mean streak but plays smart. Not sure there is a guy like that in this draft. I like Manti Te'o, everyone knows that by now, but I'm not so sure he has the "mean streak" I am talking about. I think he will be a productive player though.

Just depends on whos there at 28 if we stay put.

WARHORSE
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
In a word: NO.

WARHORSE
03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Urlacher runs like a 90lb grandma with braces on her legs and a cane carrying 200 lbs of meat in a backpack and a cellphone in her ear set on a low volume in a snowstorm of glacial magnitude.

On top of Mt. Everest.

WARHORSE
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
With combat boots on.

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
He's an upgrade over Brooking.

Either way we will draft a MLB very early. Just you wait for it...

Lancane
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
He's an upgrade over Brooking.

Either way we will draft a MLB very early. Just you wait for it...

Just cause you keep telling yourself that doesn't mean it will come true...;)

DenBronx
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Just cause you keep telling yourself that doesn't mean it will come true...;)

Oh get ready for it Lancane....then you will all come crawling back to thank me later. I never miss...ever. ;)

Lancane
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Oh get ready for it Lancane....then you will all come crawling back to thank me later. I never miss...ever. ;)

Never? Now who is full **** DB? :lol: