PDA

View Full Version : the BEER THREAD!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

dogfish
09-02-2007, 12:59 AM
i know reid and i won't feel completely at home until this place has an official beer thread, so i'm going to do the honors. . . this will be BroncosForum's designated area for discussion and celebration of that most noble of all beverages, the one made from barley malt and hops! or wheat, if that's how you roll, but don't bring any watered-down, piss-flavored american fermented rice-water lagers (an honest barley-based lager is acceptable) in here where they should be ashamed to stand in the presence of the real thing. . .

:beer:

we'll start with a truly big beer, the rogue XS imperial india pale ale. . . this cloudy ale is a tawny golden color with darker coppery tones swirling at it's heart and a clean scent redolent of hops. . . AHHHH!! quite bitter and extremely bitey, with afternotes of citrus, pungent earthly undertones and a lingering woody flavor. . . the sweetness of a large amount of barley is definitely present, but the bitterness is predominant in this brew. . . complex, satisfying, and high in alcohol-- the complete package. . . an excellent representation of the style, and highly recommended! :beer:

Tned
09-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Ok, I am not going to be anywhere near the connoisseur that you and Reid will be, but I will throw one in.

Earlier in the year I was in Dusseldorf Germany and they have an old part of the city called Alt Stadt (Old City). One of the things they are famous for is Alt Bier.

It is a dark bier, but not like a Guinness. It had a reddish color, and almost had a hint of sweetness, but it wasn't sweet or sugary by any stretch.

Typically when I am in Germany I stick with Pils or Helles bier, but since I was in Alt Stadt, I had to try it and it was very good. :beer:

DenBronx
09-02-2007, 01:43 AM
dogfish, i used to bartend and drink pretty heavily. so to make a really long story short i actually stopped drinking because i wasnt such a nice guy.

however i knocked a few down at an mma event (ufc) and i had a few tall collins size budwiesers. ahhhh it had been 4 years. the cold clean taste of beer. wow did i get a buzz really quick. i was able to drive home but it was crazy how fast i got a buzz because i would down hard stuff all night and barely get buzzed.

i said that to say this. i never remembered budwieser tasting so good. was it just the lack of drinking it so long?

also any recommendations on a really really good beer?

BroncoBJ
09-02-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm only 19 so I have to wait 2 more years until I can drink. So I'll be back. :)

Reidman
09-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm only 19 so I have to wait 2 more years until I can drink. So I'll be back. :)

We'll be here with our livers slightly more damaged....

Dog, are you drinking that tonight...? The one I had was wayyyy overpowering on the alcohol, almost tasted more Barleywine-ish... Speaking of which I have a 22 of my IPA just waiting to ship it to you. Thought I'd throw in a bottle of orange pale ale which turned out pretty good too.

Damn shipping these days...

Wish I could say I've tried some new bold beer but I've been focusing my efforts on homebrewing and next up getting the fridge converted to kegerator...parts are on order....:beer::beer::beer:

SR
09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
I'll always recommend Blue Moon (brewed in CO). It's my favorite beer, hands down.

When it comes to drinking a pilsner I stick with Spaten lager. It's a light pilsner beer, but way higher quality than the likes of Bud, Sewers, etc.

And for those of you who drink a lot of different beer like I do, if you can ever get your hands on a good pilsner from Budvar (Where Budweiser ORIGINALLY came from) or Pilsen (where today's "pilsner" originated), Czech Republic, don't drink it because it's all you'll ever want for the rest of your life.:beer:

SR
09-02-2007, 02:04 AM

Dog, are you drinking that tonight...? The one I had was wayyyy overpowering on the alcohol, almost tasted more Barleywine-ish... Speaking of which I have a 22 of my IPA just waiting to ship it to you. Thought I'd throw in a bottle of orange pale ale which turned out pretty good too.

Wish I could say I've tried some new bold beer but I've been focusing my efforts on homebrewing and next up getting the fridge converted to kegerator...parts are on order....:beer::beer::beer:

I need to start brewing again. My dad and I started about 8 years ago, so I've got some experience under my belt, but it's been a while. We used to go to this store of of 67th ave and Bell in Glendale, AZ called "What ale's ya" to get our supplies. The last beer we made together was an AWESOME rasberry wheat beer. Mmmmmmmmm

Try some "Arrogant ******* Ale" if you want to try something bold. :D

ChampWJ
09-02-2007, 02:08 AM
If anyone wants a good laugh, I'm drinking Extra Gold right now. That stuff is actually pretty decent in my opinion. I think it tastes very similar to Coors but it just happens to be like $6.99 for a 12 pack. Plus it's 5.9 beer.

SR
09-02-2007, 02:17 AM
If anyone wants a good laugh, I'm drinking Extra Gold right now. That stuff is actually pretty decent in my opinion. I think it tastes very similar to Coors but it just happens to be like $6.99 for a 12 pack. Plus it's 5.9 beer.

I'm drinking Bud light. :mad:

Reidman
09-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Happens to be in my top 10 beers! :beer:
Luckily I can get it whenever I want. Can't say the same for some of my other favs..

dogfish
09-02-2007, 02:44 AM

Dog, are you drinking that tonight...?

yep. . .

The one I had was wayyyy overpowering on the alcohol, almost tasted more Barleywine-ish...

it's 9.5%-- strong, but not overwhelming by any means. . .

Speaking of which I have a 22 of my IPA just waiting to ship it to you. Thought I'd throw in a bottle of orange pale ale which turned out pretty good too.

:whoo::whoo:

sounds great. . . .

Wish I could say I've tried some new bold beer but I've been focusing my efforts on homebrewing and next up getting the fridge converted to kegerator...parts are on order....:beer:

nothing wrong with that at all. . . .

DenBronx
09-02-2007, 02:52 AM
ok so blue ribbon?

Javalon
09-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Okay, like Tned I'm not a beer connoiseur like some of you but I do have my faves.

Ice cold Shiner Bock straight from the tap is my favorite when eating out.

I really enjoy Samual Adams Black Lager, although I have trouble finding it locally and usually have to buy a gift pack with a number of their other beers, most of which I don't like. But I just give those to somebody who does.

And it's been awhile but I seem to remember really liking Colorado's own Flat Tire. I need to get up there again to see if I'm remembering that right.

FWIW, I seem to be one of the few people in the world who is not a fan of Guinness Stout, at least not from the one time I had it.

Any suggestions for dark, flavorful, non-bitter beers for a novice beer-drinker looking to expand his beer-drinking experience?

topscribe
09-02-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm easy to please . . .

Coors :beer:

-----

DenBronx
09-02-2007, 03:18 AM
i bet someone says rolling rock or miller high life. :cheers:

BroncoManiac_69
09-02-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm with top

COORS

:2thumbs:

and it's a great chaser

:shots:

ChampWJ
09-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Okay, like Tned I'm not a beer connoiseur like some of you but I do have my faves.

I really enjoy Samual Adams Black Lager, although I have trouble finding it locally and usually have to buy a gift pack with a number of their other beers, most of which I don't like. But I just give those to somebody who does.

And it's been awhile but I seem to remember really liking Colorado's own Flat Tire. I need to get up there again to see if I'm remembering that right.

FWIW, I seem to be one of the few people in the world who is not a fan of Guinness Stout, at least not from the one time I had it.

Any suggestions for dark, flavorful, non-bitter beers for a novice beer-drinker looking to expand his beer-drinking experience?

I suggest Avalanche from Breckenridge Brewery. It may not be available where you are, but it's my favorite beer. Amber style. Keep it in mind.

I don't like Guiness either. I would much rather drink an Amber anyday.

BroncoManiac_69
09-02-2007, 03:49 AM
I suggest Avalanche from Breckenridge Brewery. It may not be available where you are, but it's my favorite beer. Amber style. Keep it in mind.

I don't like Guiness either. I would much rather drink an Amber anyday.

Wow. Funny you mentioned that beer. I love it. Friends have a time share up there and I remember that Avalanche. Very good stuff while sitting in a hot tub outside in the snow. :beer:

Reidman
09-02-2007, 04:03 AM

Not sure if they have it where you're at but Black Butte porter is excellent.
Also Samuel Smith's nut brown ale is pretty good.

BroncoManiac_69
09-02-2007, 04:14 AM
Now you guys and gals are starting to kill me. Making me so thirsty for some real beer.

I live in Utah.

:boring:

Calibroncogrl47
09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Since a Margartia or Daquri doesnt count.. I will say a Smirnoff? Does that count:laugh:

Jody
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey dogfish! I LOVE beer!

Often beer is understated, because it's thought of as a trucker's beer or a redneck's drink, ever noticed that? Yet, it's not unlike the wine industry, and getting very competitive and broader all the time in how it appeals to people.

It's interesting how in the wine world, you tend to have wine lovers who prefer cheap wines to expensive wines and/or white to red. In the beer world, I notice either you like heavy lagers or lighter brews.

Personally, I enjoy beers on the lighter side, but will sample ALL BEER, and enjoy the experience. Having been enjoying the wine world for well over a decade and enjoying wine tasting and lushing, I'm now getting more interested in sampling many various beers as well.

Question1: How does everyone think about a warm beer vs a chilled beer?
Question2: How do you think it compares for beer, on tap, canned, or bottled?
Question3: Has anyone seen this link yet ? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2464

Love the thread dog, thanks for starting it once again!

SR
09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not a fan of Guinness stout either, but every time I've been through Ireland I've always had a pint just because...when in Rome...

dogfish
09-02-2007, 02:57 PM
i said that to say this. i never remembered budwieser tasting so good. was it just the lack of drinking it so long?

i'm going to say, YES!!

also any recommendations on a really really good beer?

keep an eye out for dogfish head 60 minute IPA and 90 minute IPA. . . if you tell me more specifically what you like, i can come up with some more. . .

dogfish
09-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I need to start brewing again. My dad and I started about 8 years ago, so I've got some experience under my belt, but it's been a while. We used to go to this store of of 67th ave and Bell in Glendale, AZ called "What ale's ya" to get our supplies. The last beer we made together was an AWESOME rasberry wheat beer. Mmmmmmmmm

brewing is fun as hell. . .

i recently just had the limited edition "oaked *******," which was pretty damn good. . . the oak wasn't overwhelming, which is how i prefer it-- some oaked beers can be over the top, where the oakiness chokes out the flavor of the beer. . .

DenBronx
09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
i love a light cold beer on tap.

dogfish
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM

you don't need to be a conoisseur to enjoy a good brew! new belgium, the brewers of fat tire, also have a beer called 1554-- it'a a brussells style black lager, and is extremely good. . . warsteiner dunkel is another good dark lager. . .

guiness may be too dry for you-- look for mackeson english triple stout, a lactose stout which is much sweeter, or left hand' milk stout (another colorado brewery). . . anchor steam porter is a very smooth, robust dark beer. . . and IMO the two best dark beers out there are avery's czar (yet another colorado brewery) and dogfish head's indian brown ale, one of my all-time favorites. . . avery's mephistopheles stout is also very, very good. . .

Javalon
09-03-2007, 01:45 AM
you don't need to be a conoisseur to enjoy a good brew! new belgium, the brewers of fat tire, also have a beer called 1554-- it'a a brussells style black lager, and is extremely good. . . warsteiner dunkel is another good dark lager. . .

guiness may be too dry for you-- look for mackeson english triple stout, a lactose stout which is much sweeter, or left hand' milk stout (another colorado brewery). . . anchor steam porter is a very smooth, robust dark beer. . . and IMO the two best dark beers out there are avery's czar (yet another colorado brewery) and dogfish head's indian brown ale, one of my all-time favorites. . . avery's mephistopheles stout is also very, very good. . .

I forgot that's where you got your username. :)

Thanks much for the recommendations. It sounds like you endorse a number of Colorado beers. Are any of your picks common enough to be found in most larger liquor stores or will they be hard to find?

dogfish
09-03-2007, 01:57 AM
I forgot that's where you got your username. :)

Thanks much for the recommendations. It sounds like you endorse a number of Colorado beers. Are any of your picks common enough to be found in most larger liquor stores or will they be hard to find?

i honestly can't say for sure, but i know that dogfish is distributed almost everywhere besides cali, and i can get all of those beers here in ohio-- you will have to find a high-end store, though, you won't get that stuff at the quicky mart. . . you can find local distributors for most of those breweries through their websites, and call the distributor to find what local stores carry their brews. . . and yes, i do like a lot of colorado beers-- there are a LOT of breweries there, and i got a chance to get pretty familiar with a number of them when i lived there. . .

:beer::beer:

dogfish
09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Hey dogfish! I LOVE beer!

Often beer is understated, because it's thought of as a trucker's beer or a redneck's drink, ever noticed that? Yet, it's not unlike the wine industry, and getting very competitive and broader all the time in how it appeals to people.

It's interesting how in the wine world, you tend to have wine lovers who prefer cheap wines to expensive wines and/or white to red. In the beer world, I notice either you like heavy lagers or lighter brews.

Personally, I enjoy beers on the lighter side, but will sample ALL BEER, and enjoy the experience. Having been enjoying the wine world for well over a decade and enjoying wine tasting and lushing, I'm now getting more interested in sampling many various beers as well.

that's true. . . i can appreciate both, but my natural preference is for heavier, richer beers. . . although they aren't necessarily darker-- a lot of my very favorites are light to medium-colored ales, but they are so heavy and high in alcohol that no one would describe them as "lighter". . .

i also drink different beers according to the season, with almost all heavier ales and darker beers in the fall and winter, and lighter beers like pilsners and pale ales more in the spring and summer. . . and IPAs year round! :beer:

if you're interested in trying new beers, i can certainly make some recommendations if you want. . .

Question1: How does everyone think about a warm beer vs a chilled beer?

depends on what type of beer it is, as some serve at different temperatures than others. . . lighter beers like lagers and pilsners, ambers, bitters etc. are best served as cold as possible. . . while most heavier and/or darker ales are better closer to cellar temperature, as a slightly warmer beer allows the sweet notes to come out more. . . and the thickest beers are also better at cellar temperature, the stouts and heaviest porters. . . imperial stouts i will usually leave out 20+ minutes to let it warm up, and possibly with some of the belgian ales as well. . .

Question2: How do you think it compares for beer, on tap, canned, or bottled?

draft is always best if you can get it, but that really limits your selection for practical purposes-- bottled is fine, especially if you're looking for rarer beers. . . canned is not so good, IMO. . .

Question3: Has anyone seen this link yet ? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2464

yes-- i've looked at the site once or twice. . . looks pretty interesting. . .

Love the thread dog, thanks for starting it once again!

thanks, good to have ya!

Jody
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Personally, I do not like canned beer any longer. I literally can 'taste' the can now.

I've been enjoying the new Miller's Chill beer (or is it Chile or Chille) beer.
It has a bit of a mexican beer flavoring, not unlike Dosequis XX, but slightly lighter. Great for very hot weather!

Yet, it's September now, and the days will be cooling down. Give me a name of a beer you consider to be more fall-like flavoring and weight. :D

Thanks!

dogfish
09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
time to put away those lagers, heffeweizens and other wheat beers. . . a good copper ale would go nice right now, possibly mendocino's red tail ale. . . IPAs are perfect this time of year, as are the lighter brown ales-- bell's best brown ale or tommyknocker maple brown. . . or brooklyn brown if you're on the east coast. . . also, this is the time of year for oktoberfests! becks makes a good oktoberfest. . . my personal favorite is avery's imperial oktoberfest, the kaiser-- that stuff is fantastic. . . the new belgium 1554 brussell's black ale is another good fall brew. . .

:beer: :beer:

SR
09-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Spaten Oktoberfest is awesome. Tommyknocker's Maple Brown is one of my top 10 favorites. Time to make a trip to H&H (local booze barn) and pick me up some Tommyknockers!

dogfish
09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Spaten Oktoberfest is awesome. Tommyknocker's Maple Brown is one of my top 10 favorites. Time to make a trip to H&H (local booze barn) and pick me up some Tommyknockers!

have you had the imperial version in the bomber? i've only seen it once, so i'm not sure how many editions of it they've made, but it was some pretty damn good stuff. . .

SR
09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
have you had the imperial version in the bomber? i've only seen it once, so i'm not sure how many editions of it they've made, but it was some pretty damn good stuff. . .

No I haven't! I'll keep an eye out though. I went to H&H to get some Maple Brown, but they didn't have ANY Tommyknockers, so I picked up the Blue Moon summer brew. I'll try it out here after dinner and let y'all know how it is.

Devilspawn
09-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I will never get the whole beer thing, even though I'm not an alcohol drinker to begin with. My friend was RAVING about Guinness when it first came out and insisting I try it, even though the only thing I like to drink with foam on top is Dr. Pepper. I tried Guinness and it tasted like regular old beer to me. The only beer brands I ever tried were Miller and Heineken(sp) and I still don't get it. Maybe because I can hold my liquor and it takes a hell of a whole lot to give me a buzz, and since I don't drink a hell of a lot of alcohol in one decade much less one sitting, I miss out on getting drunk. Is Guinness still the Brett Favre of beer?

SR
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I will never get the whole beer thing, even though I'm not an alcohol drinker to begin with. My friend was RAVING about Guinness when it first came out and insisting I try it, even though the only thing I like to drink with foam on top is Dr. Pepper. I tried Guinness and it tasted like regular old beer to me. The only beer brands I ever tried were Miller and Heineken(sp) and I still don't get it. Maybe because I can hold my liquor and it takes a hell of a whole lot to give me a buzz, and since I don't drink a hell of a lot of alcohol in one decade much less one sitting, I miss out on getting drunk. Is Guinness still the Brett Favre of beer?

Guinness is okay. A lot of people don't like a dark, stout beer like Guinness. People like me don't like Guinness much because it's better warm than cold and I only drink my beer on the verge of frozen (I usually put it in a cooler with ice and sea salt...let it sit in there for an hour and it's so cold that there are little frozen pieces of beer in it...fantastic).

Beer is an acquired taste though. People don't lie when they say that.

WhoDey
09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm just going to make this post my current top ten list. And by top ten, I'm just saying here are the ten beers that immediately come to mind that I really like right now. And they're not in any particular order.

In fact, I'm pretty non-committal about the whole deal. I just like beer.

But here it is. :D

1. Wytchwood Hobgoblin
2. Bell's Porter
3. Old Engine Oil
4. Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock
5. Bell's Double Cream Stout
6. Sam Adams Black Lager
7. Blithering Idiot Barley Wine
8. Stone Arrogant *******
9. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
10. Murphy's Scotch Ale

And I'm sure I left a few out that I totally dig, but oh well.

Den21vsBal19
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm just going to make this post my current top ten list. And by top ten, I'm just saying here are the ten beers that immediately come to mind that I really like right now. And they're not in any particular order.

In fact, I'm pretty non-committal about the whole deal. I just like beer.

But here it is. :D

1. Wytchwood Hobgoblin

Mmmm, Hobgoblin :beer:

You ever try Theakston's Old Peculiar? Fantastic stuff, heavy enough that you can just sip a couple of pints through an evenin', light enough that you can drink enough to get a serious buzz :cool:

WhoDey
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Mmmm, Hobgoblin :beer:

You ever try Theakston's Old Peculiar? Fantastic stuff, heavy enough that you can just sip a couple of pints through an evenin', light enough that you can drink enough to get a serious buzz :cool:

Nah, can't say that I have. Is that the kind of thing I'd have to mail order, or is it widely available stateside? I don't know what it even looks like! :eek:

And yes, Hobgoblin is da bomb. :werd:

Den21vsBal19
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Nah, can't say that I have. Is that the kind of thing I'd have to mail order, or is it widely available stateside? I don't know what it even looks like! :eek:

And yes, Hobgoblin is da bomb. :werd:

I'm not sure what the availability is over there to be honest...............

But as for the other :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Theakston_Old_Peculier.jpeg/230px-Theakston_Old_Peculier.jpeg

WhoDey
09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure what the availability is over there to be honest...............

But as for the other :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Theakston_Old_Peculier.jpeg/230px-Theakston_Old_Peculier.jpeg

*Droool*

I'm not normally one to judge a book by its cover, especially when it comes to beer... but the fact that it's European is enough for me to want one.

Cleveland Rocks
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
In no particular order. My favorite drinks are:

Peroni
Birra Moretti
Absinte
Tuaca
Arrogant *******
Red Rum

and how can one NOT mention Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum!!

Man, I love it w/ Egg Nog at Christmas.

dogfish
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM

yes, guiness is the brett favre of beer-- OLD AND OVERRATED!! there's much better stuff out there that doesn't have the same name recognition. . .

who, that old engine oil is some tough stuff-- if you like that, you should keep an eye open for north coast old stock ale. . . . i've had the old peculier, but it's been so long ago that i really don't remember it. . . den, have you ever had samichlaus? now THAT is a beer!

Nomad
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I like:

Samuel Adams lager
Alaskan Amber (Don't sell it in NODAK:tsk:)
Pyramid(Don't sell it in NODAK:tsk:)
MillerLite
Fosters
Molsens
Coors
I try anything!

SR
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
The Blue Moon summer brew was KILLER. It's not as filling as the regular Blue Moon. I killed a sixxer of it no problemo. Usually I'll drink 3-4 normal Blue Moons and not want to drink anymore.

dogfish
09-09-2007, 02:32 AM
:bump2:

one of my favorite seasonals just came out-- great lakes brewing co.'s nosferatu! awesome name, huh? doing a fall seasonal is pretty unique, and this beer is pretty much perfect for it-- still crisp enough in flavor and light enough in body for warm late summer nights, but it's color and malt warmth are ideal for autumn. . .

it's a beautiful mahogany color that resembles the dark amber of pure maple syrup. . . minimal lacing from the head. . . this beer couldn't live up to it's name better, as it has a very aggressive bite to it-- intense hop bitterness with some floral and citrus notes, but the malt flavor prevents them from lingering, and creates undertones of caramel and toffee. . . good balance between the sweet and bitter flavors, leading to an overall sharpness that reminds me of a strong aged cheddar like black diamond. . . hints of nutty toasted malt in the aftertaste, but the finish is nearly as bitey as the initial presentation. . . this beer is pricey, especially as it's sold in four-packs instead of sixers, but it's worth it-- definitely comes with the dogfish seal of approval!

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1560/1014fl6.jpg

dogfish
09-16-2007, 03:23 AM
dogfish head's latest beer just came out, and i've been waiting a while for this one. . . it's the updated version of their "golden shower" brew, but they whimped out and went with the less risque name "golden era". . . no big deal to me, it's the beer that i care about!

this one is their imperial pilsner, and they collaborated with a german or czech brewery, combining traditional ingredients with modern brewing techniques. . . it's a beautiful medium amber that resembles honey in color. . . modest head with only light lacing around the rim of the glass. . . pungent and malty in aroma. . . definitely heavier in texture and mouthfeel than any other pilsner i've had, which is exactly what you'd expect from a dogfish head imperial. . . the distinct pilsner malt gives it warmth and some sweetness, but it is noticeably less sweet than the last batch. . . the specific malt gives it a much truer pilsner flavor, that unique clean but funky taste that only authentic pilsners have. . .

light but lingering bitterness with a heavier aftertaste than most lighter-colored beers have. . . the spiciness of the saaz hops is like no other, and they were obviously used in abundance. . . the taste is much closer to a traditional european beer than anything else DFH has produced-- makes for an interesting detour from their normal fare. . . this beer leaves you wanting bratwurst and sauerkraut-- perfect for ocktoberfest, tailgating, or backyard barbecues! mmmm, tasty. . . .

Den21vsBal19
09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Can't quite make up my mind what'll go best with toasted Raiders for this evening....................Hobgoblin or Old Peculier:confused:

Hobgoblin ~ Hobgoblin is strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end. The ruby red coloured Hobgoblin is full-bodied and has a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity character.

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/images07/bottle300_hobgoblin_halloween.jpg http://www.theakstons.co.uk/uploaded/OP_bottle.gif

Old Peculier ~ A rich, dark and smooth tasting beer with unequalled flavour. Brewed using the traditional Fuggle hop, Old Peculier is our best known beer and has a large and enthusiastic following all over Britain and around the world.

‘The legend in a bottle!’

Decisions, decisions :laugh:

Reidman
09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Can't quite make up my mind what'll go best with toasted Raiders for this evening....................Hobgoblin or Old Peculier

Hobgoblin ~ Hobgoblin is strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end. The ruby red coloured Hobgoblin is full-bodied and has a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity character.

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/images07/bottle300_hobgoblin_halloween.jpg http://www.theakstons.co.uk/uploaded/OP_bottle.gif

Old Peculier ~ A rich, dark and smooth tasting beer with unequalled flavour. Brewed using the traditional Fuggle hop, Old Peculier is our best known beer and has a large and enthusiastic following all over Britain and around the world.

‘The legend in a bottle!’

Decisions, decisions :laugh:
I have a recipe to brew Hobgoblin!

I've never tried either though so I can't help you with your decision.
Why not please the beer gods and drink both!!:beer:

Den21vsBal19
09-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a recipe to brew Hobgoblin!

I've never tried either though so I can't help you with your decision.

That may please the beer gods, but I'm not so sure my boss would agree tomorrow :laugh:

dogfish
09-16-2007, 10:07 AM

great minds think alike!

:cheers:

Reidman
09-16-2007, 10:34 AM
That may please the beer gods, but I'm not so sure my boss would agree tomorrow :laugh:

I just finished a 12 hr shift, stay up all day today with my daughter watching football and then get up tomorrow morning at 4:30....

I have a 6er of Blue Moon and a 22 of Thunderhead.

I am getting drunk today for sure...:cheers:

WhoDey
09-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I just had Theakston's Old Peculiar last night - I got pretty crocked off of it, actually.

But that stuff is GOOD! I really enjoyed it. The name says it all - it does have a peculiar taste. But it's a good kind of peculiar. The malt and hops are really bold, and they combine for a somewhat sweet, chocolatey undertone.

I strongly recommend this beer. :beer:

PAINTERDAVE
09-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I like ST. Pauli Girl.

dogfish
09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I like ST. Pauli Girl.

yea, but what kind of beer do you like. . . ?

oh wait. . .

i haven't had it in a long time, but their dark is pretty smooth. . .

Den21vsBal19
09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I just finished a 12 hr shift, stay up all day today with my daughter watching football and then get up tomorrow morning at 4:30....

I have a 6er of Blue Moon and a 22 of Thunderhead.

I am getting drunk today for sure...:cheers:

Ya know, I think I may join ya :shots:

I just had Theakston's Old Peculiar last night - I got pretty crocked off of it, actually.

But that stuff is GOOD! I really enjoyed it. The name says it all - it does have a peculiar taste. But it's a good kind of peculiar. The malt and hops are really bold, and they combine for a somewhat sweet, chocolatey undertone.

I strongly recommend this beer. :beer:

Oh yes, it was my poison of choice when I was at college..............I lost many an evening's memories to it :laugh:

SR
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale was good.

But....

My new favorite beer right now is Pyramid Hefe. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Reidman
10-26-2007, 02:10 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1026/halloween07006ce5.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7739/halloween07005fp8.jpg

Found the only bottle of the Beast and Mephistopheles stout in Oregon!! Woohoo!

Oh yeah and that's 4 bottles of Samichlaus...Mmmm:beer:

LordTrychon
12-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I like beer..... :salute:

West
12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Beer is for pansies! Straight shots baby! That's how real men do it! :elefant::cool:

dogfish
12-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Beer is for pansies! Straight shots baby! That's how real men do it! :elefant::cool:

oh really. . . ??

in that case, how do you do it? probably girly fruit-flavored wine coolers. . . .

:lol: :laugh:

saddletramp
12-15-2007, 10:44 PM
jsut a bud longneck will do me.

well lots of them. :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/Saddletramp69/SMILEYS/alcoholic-1.gif

West
12-16-2007, 11:05 AM
oh really. . . ??

in that case, how do you do it? probably girly fruit-flavored wine coolers. . . .

:lol: :laugh:

Your dead to me dogfish.. This is thread #2 where you have insulted me! :tsk:

SR
12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I had a beer Tuesday...first beer since October. I had a Stella Artois and it was fantastical in so many ways. I probably won't have another one until New Year's eve.

lex
12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Hacker Pschorr
Blue Moon
Sam Light

SR
12-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Hacker Pschorr
Blue Moon
Sam Light

BARF!:eek:

Reidman
12-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Olde school Barleywine...!!:eek: by none other than Dogfish Head!

This will kick you in the ass, but not before you've downed most of your glass...
Sweet, malty with a subtle hop bite. Dangerously drinkable at 15% abv... very well balanced for a beer of this magnitude..

Also had a chance to try the double B-A-S-T-A-R-D recently (sorry for going around the filter but are you kidding me with that censorship..?). Anyway, this was more like a barleywine in it's own right which I wasn't expecting. I would have figured it to be slightly more hoppy than it's predecessor but without the malty sweetness... A well rounded brew however, this one was also easily drinkable for how big it is..

:beer::beer::beer:

SR
12-17-2007, 05:26 AM
The nastiest, hoppiest, highest alcohol content beer I've ever drank was at this place in Phoenix called Oggi's (micro-brew) and it was called "Hop Juice". It's pretty much a double IPA, but tastes like pure hops, hence the name Hop Juice.

Good stuff though. I've got a really high tolerance and I can hold my liquior better than most, but three or four pints of Hop Juice has me buzzed.

dogfish
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Olde school Barleywine...!!:eek: by none other than Dogfish Head!

This will kick you in the ass, but not before you've downed most of your glass...
Sweet, malty with a subtle hop bite. Dangerously drinkable at 15% abv... very well balanced for a beer of this magnitude..

Also had a chance to try the double B-A-S-T-A-R-D recently (sorry for going around the filter but are you kidding me with that censorship..?). Anyway, this was more like a barleywine in it's own right which I wasn't expecting. I would have figured it to be slightly more hoppy than it's predecessor but without the malty sweetness... A well rounded brew however, this one was also easily drinkable for how big it is..

:beer::beer:

i haven't had the olde schoole in years-- that's a good brew! and that double is freakin' excellent. . . very nice balance with some subtle undertones and a strong earthy flavor that i'm betting comes from some kind of cask aging. . .

The nastiest, hoppiest, highest alcohol content beer I've ever drank was at this place in Phoenix called Oggi's (micro-brew) and it was called "Hop Juice". It's pretty much a double IPA, but tastes like pure hops, hence the name Hop Juice.

Good stuff though. I've got a really high tolerance and I can hold my liquior better than most, but three or four pints of Hop Juice has me buzzed.

that hop juice is good stuff!

SR
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Sam Jackson!!!!!! IT'LL GET YA DRUNK!

dogfish
12-25-2007, 04:26 AM
gotta have the beer thread handy for the holidays. . .

i'm drinking a new one right now-- it's from atwater block brewery in detroit. . . now how can a broncos fan not love that name?? it's their vanilla java porter-- it's cold here now, which definitely makes it the right time of the year for your stouts and porters. . .

this one is dark even for a porter, and extremely robust. . . honestly, maybe a little too robust for me-- it's clearly made with a lot of chocolate malt, and the roasty flavor is very bitey. . . good, but i tend to prefer a little bit smoother porter with more counterbalancing sweetness. . . the java gives it a distinctive bitterness, which is a bit unusual in a style of beer that is not generally very heavy on the hops-- the coffe bitterness is heavier, though, not as fresh and clean as hop bitterness. . . still good, but this isn't a beer that i would want to drink a lot of. . . i really can't taste the vanilla at all-- maybe just the tiniest bit in the aftertaste. . . not that you'd want it to be overwhelming at all, but when it's advertised in the name of the brew it should probably be a little more discernible. . . overall, not a bad beer, but i doubt i'd buy it again-- there are definitely much better porters out there, such as anchor, blackjack, or old leg humper. . .

happy holidays everyone, and drink a few for me!

SR
12-25-2007, 04:28 AM
gotta have the beer thread handy for the holidays. . .

i'm drinking a new one right now-- it's from atwater block brewery in detroit. . . now how can a broncos fan not love that name?? it's their vanilla java porter-- it's cold here now, which definitely makes it the right time of the year for your stouts and porters. . .

this one is dark even for a porter, and extremely robust. . . honestly, maybe a little too robust for me-- it's clearly made with a lot of chocolate malt, and the roasty flavor is very bitey. . . good, but i tend to prefer a little bit smoother porter with more counterbalancing sweetness. . . the java gives it a distinctive bitterness, which is a bit unusual in a style of beer that is not generally very heavy on the hops-- the coffe bitterness is heavier, though, not as fresh and clean as hop bitterness. . . still good, but this isn't a beer that i would want to drink a lot of. . . i really can't taste the vanilla at all-- maybe just the tiniest bit in the aftertaste. . . not that you'd want it to be overwhelming at all, but when it's advertised in the name of the brew it should probably be a little more discernible. . . overall, not a bad beer, but i doubt i'd buy it again-- there are definitely much better porters out there, such as anchor, blackjack, or old leg humper. . .

happy holidays everyone, and drink a few for me!

Son of a biscuit. That sounds amazing.

dogfish
12-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Son of a biscuit. That sounds amazing.

honestly, it's really not all that-- it's not bad, but IMO it fails to live up to its' name. . . rogue's java porter is better, and a brewery called stoney creek has a vanilla porter that's even better than the rogue. . .

SR
12-25-2007, 04:38 AM
honestly, it's really not all that-- it's not bad, but IMO it fails to live up to its' name. . . rogue's java porter is better, and a brewery called stoney creek has a vanilla porter that's even better than the rogue. . .

To be perfectly honest with you dog, or should I call you fish, a sixxer of Pyramid Hefe or a good Dunkelweisen sounds about perfect right now...maybe with a slice of lemon for the Hefeweisen...but not sure. I just would love to get lit right now.

dogfish
12-25-2007, 04:53 AM
To be perfectly honest with you dog, or should I call you fish, a sixxer of Pyramid Hefe or a good Dunkelweisen sounds about perfect right now...maybe with a slice of lemon for the Hefeweisen...but not sure. I just would love to get lit right now.

understandable. . . .

MOtorboat
12-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I love beer.

Rex
12-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I love beer.

me too.

I might go get some now. It IS 9:38.

MOtorboat
12-25-2007, 10:39 AM
me too.

I might go get some now. It IS 9:38.

I stocked up in case nothing was open in town today...and it appears there is one gas station open...

Rex
12-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I stocked up in case nothing was open in town today...and it appears there is one gas station open...

Dude, it is Missouri. You can get beer 24/7/365. :salute:

MOtorboat
12-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Dude, it is Missouri. You can get beer 24/7/365. :salute:

GP

Except in Lamar...that place had all sorts of religious stuff all over the gas stations and they didn't sell lottery tickets either...of course that's right next to you, so you probably know that...

Rex
12-25-2007, 10:44 AM
GP

Except in Lamar...that place had all sorts of religious stuff all over the gas stations and they didn't sell lottery tickets either...of course that's right next to you, so you probably know that...

Which store? LaMarti's right off the highway?

MOtorboat
12-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Which store? LaMarti's right off the highway?

I think that was the place...I didn't check for beer I guess, but they wouldn't sell us powerball tickets.

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Well I don't drink beer............ I like those girlie drinks with strawberries in them.. but my grandma (you know the kind that wore the house dress and apron all of the time and waddled when she walked. I miss her!! RIP) was the cutest beer drinker ever.

Her beer was Hams cause she thought the bear was cute! She would keep a glass in the freezer, the beer in the fridge. When she would get herself a glass (now mind you she would have a few!!!), fill it with ice then pour the beer very slowly so as not to get only but a tiny bit of foam. She would say..... "Beer has to be cold.... or I can't drink it."

Den21vsBal19
12-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Finally, driving duties for the day are done, bring on the Wells Bombardier :beer:

Tned
12-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Finally, driving duties for the day are done, bring on the Wells Bombardier :beer:

Den, I tried something new when I was in England last week (actually the week before, I guess). I had an IPA smooth, which I think is a 'bitter'. It was a cloudy beer, but the taste surprised me compared to the 'color'.

SR
12-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not a big IPA fan. The bitterness kills it for me. I'm not a HUGE ale fan, but once in a while I'll come across one I like.

Zweems56
12-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh man! The freak had a beer thread. I loved that thread!
http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/epica/2005/winners/films/screenshots/images/05512_guinness12.jpg
http://bp3.blogger.com/_CyFmZ_gFMHE/Rhxhf2cKtsI/AAAAAAAAADU/AEHjAxGgj9I/s320/100_1050.jpg

dogfish
12-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Well I don't drink beer............ I like those girlie drinks with strawberries in them.. but my grandma (you know the kind that wore the house dress and apron all of the time and waddled when she walked. I miss her!! RIP) was the cutest beer drinker ever.

Her beer was Hams cause she thought the bear was cute! She would keep a glass in the freezer, the beer in the fridge. When she would get herself a glass (now mind you she would have a few!!!), fill it with ice then pour the beer very slowly so as not to get only but a tiny bit of foam. She would say..... "Beer has to be cold.... or I can't drink it."

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8075/hamms1953ice00wp8.jpg

"frooom the land of sky blue waa-aaaters. . . . coooooomes a beer with taste!!"

dogfish
12-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not a big IPA fan. The bitterness kills it for me. I'm not a HUGE ale fan, but once in a while I'll come across one I like.

IPA. . . . it's the breakfast of champions!!

:beer: :cheers:

Jody
12-25-2007, 02:37 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8075/hamms1953ice00wp8.jpg

"frooom the land of sky blue waa-aaaters. . . . coooooomes a beer with taste!!"

Being an angel child and all (cough), Hamms beer was my first beer - and I LOVED it! Poor it fast and get half a glass of foam and drink it fast! mmmm-good!:D I would sneak these out of the house.

SR
12-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh man! The freak had a beer thread. I loved that thread!

I go to Shannon, Ireland once or twice per year, depending on how many times in one year I travel to and from the Middle East, and every single time I stop by the pub in the airport to grab a pint of Guinness. I don't really care for it much, but when in Rome...

Jody
12-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Dog....I just rated your thread, and it's now FIVE stars. :D

saddletramp
12-25-2007, 10:56 PM
case of bud longnecks please.

oh, wait this isnt the cafe.

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:27 PM
case of bud longnecks please.

oh, wait this isnt the cafe.

same here.I am not into all that beer that most on here post about.
Give me a real cold long neck bud and not bud light either...
along with a couple of shots of Jose Cuervo!!!

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:28 PM

I'll have some Cuervo with you, KC. Got a lime? :D

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I'll have some Cuervo with you, KC. Got a lime? :D

I can get one.I like margaritas but it takes too long to make one so anymore
I just skip that and just drink the tequila.Thats what were after anyway
right?:laugh:

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I can get one.I like margaritas but it takes too long to make one so anymore
I just skip that and just drink the tequila.Thats what were after anyway
right?:laugh:

No....no....no.....

Pour the shot, sprinkle salt on your hand, lick that off, drink the shot, and suck on the lime------it's the whole deal that makes it fun!!!!

Actually, I'm so serious right now....I just know we'd have TONS of fun!

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:36 PM
No....no....no.....

Pour the shot, sprinkle salt on your hand, lick that off, drink the shot, and suck on the lime------it's the whole deal that makes it fun!!!!

Actually, I'm so serious right now....I just know we'd have TONS of fun!

I don't need the salt but the lime sounds good.I usually just do a
couple of shots and drink a couple of beers and I am good to go.
Not sure where I'm going tho...:lol:

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't need the salt but the lime sounds good.I usually just do a
couple of shots and drink a couple of beers and I am good to go.
Not sure where I'm going tho...:lol:

We'll take your hubby with us, so we have a designated driver and designated guider for walking. :D *He puts his hands on our shoulders and says, "That way ladies!"* :nod::laugh:

Broncolingus
12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
From Friday night on...it was Corona, Dos Equis, Miller Lite, and Shiner (bet you can't guess what State I live in?)...don't ask me how that happened.

Since there was no 'logic' to that beer series, I said F-it and went with Mr. John Daniels and 'The Crown.'

saddletramp
12-25-2007, 11:40 PM

kamakizies

or however the hell ya spell it. :beer:

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:41 PM
We'll take your hubby with us, so we have a designated driver and designated guider for walking. :D *He puts his hands on our shoulders and says, "That way ladies!"* :nod::laugh:

oh no...if he were to go...we would need a 4th person to be the DD.
He wouldn't go out and not drink.:beer:

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:42 PM
From Friday night on...it was Corona, Dos Equis, Miller Lite, and Shiner (bet you can't guess what State I live in?)...don't ask me how that happened.

Since there was no 'logic' to that beer series, I said F-it and went with Mr. John Daniels and 'The Crown.'

This Crown? Thats another good drink...:beer:

http://site-images.ws/cust/78908/crown-royal-purple.jpg

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:42 PM

I just cannot drink Budweiser for a chaser.....MAJOR headache off of one beer. :tsk: Okay! Let's take hubby along with us, and we'll have to get Dog to be our DD. :D

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:43 PM
kamakizies

or however the hell ya spell it. :beer:

OMG...I got so messed up on those one night.Hit me before I realized it.
Drank way too many way too soon.That sounds good tho.

Broncolingus
12-25-2007, 11:44 PM

...do you know 'DallasChief?'

saddletramp
12-25-2007, 11:44 PM
I just cannot drink Budweiser for a chaser.....MAJOR headache off of one beer. :tsk: Okay! Let's take hubby along with us, and we'll have to get Dog to be our DD. :D

Dog,

as a DD?????

you are kidding,

arent you????? :confused:

and a pitcher of kamaies sounds awesome right now.

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
OMG...I got so messed up on those one night.Hit me before I realized it.
Drank way too many way too soon.That sounds good tho.

Look ladies... I am starting to think I need to go along just to keep an eye on you two!!

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Take dog...then we would need to take a 5th person to be the DD.
Dog wouldn't go out and not drink...:beer:

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:47 PM

I will be the DD!! I don't drink!

KCL
...do you know 'DallasChief?'

Nope can't say I do but a couple of people from the Freak
was talking about him.

Jody

Oh....okay....then let's take Dog along....and he can drink with us....
I guess we now rent a limo!:D

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Look ladies... I am starting to think I need to go along just to keep an eye on you two!!

Jody I think we have found our DD....:D

schnooks1

That would be cool.......... I will still go and watch you two!!! or three I guess. Don't know Dog yet.. but I trust you two ladies judgement and will trust he is a good guy!!

Jody

She's good for a laugh or two.

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:49 PM

LOL-I just made a post that you could be our DD.:laugh:

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:50 PM

Wouldn't that be fun...but do I have to invite hubby?:confused:

I know I am bad.:tsk:

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:51 PM
She's good for a laugh or two.

Yes I am a real riot!!!! People wonder how can I have so much fun and not drink?? Think about seeing Jody drunk and you will understand!!:shots:

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:51 PM
That would be cool.......... I will still go and watch you two!!! or three I guess. Don't know Dog yet.. but I trust you two ladies judgement and will trust he is a good guy!!

he is...he is my board honey.Just not sure if he knows it yet.:laugh:

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Wouldn't that be fun...but do I have to invite hubby?:confused:

I know I am bad.:tsk:

You're asking ME that? Ha! Leave him at home! :laugh:

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes I am a real riot!!!! People wonder how can I have so much fun and not drink?? Think about seeing Jody drunk and you will understand!!:shots:

She has NEVER seen me drunk! I'm THE RIOT!

Get ahold of yourself, schnooks....you don't know what fun is YET!:D

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:56 PM
She has NEVER seen me drunk! I'm THE RIOT!

Get ahold of yourself, schnooks....you don't know what fun is YET!:D

Well remember my mom and dad's anniversary party??? Everyone else remembers you drunk!!!

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Well remember my mom and dad's anniversary party??? Everyone else remembers you drunk!!!

Hey, I'm just a happy person...I laugh a lot anyhow. ;)

Dammit....I forgot about that....I wonder why.

schnooks1
12-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey, I'm just a happy person...I laugh a lot anyhow. ;)

THat's called lying... remember that word???

KCL
12-25-2007, 11:57 PM

thats probably something that couldn't get out of their heads.
A drunk Jody...:laugh:

I have no room to talk as I have had some good drunk on's.;)

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:58 PM
THat's called lying... remember that word???

No....it's not "lying"....

I had forgotten.

Jody
12-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Christmas is over!

Time for family to GO HOME!:D

KCL
12-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Christmas is over!

Time for family to GO HOME!:D

what family? where?

Jody
12-26-2007, 12:03 AM
what family? where?

She's family, KCLady....

She's giving away all my well kept secrets. :scared:

KCL
12-26-2007, 12:05 AM
She's family, KCLady....

She's giving away all my well kept secrets. :scared:

damn...thought some one had broken into your house and didn't
want to leave...:laugh:

We already know you are a lush...;)

Jody
12-26-2007, 12:05 AM
thats probably something that couldn't get out of their heads.
A drunk Jody...:laugh:

I have no room to talk as I have had some good drunk on's.;)

Considering I always put so much effort into my composure.... :laugh:

So.....How about sharing one of your drunk stories and make me feel better?

KCL
12-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Considering I always put so much effort into my composure.... :laugh:

So.....How about sharing one of your drunk stories and make me feel better?

I can't...if I posted that...I would have to take myself to the
advisory board to decide if I need to be banned.:D

Jody
12-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I can't...if I posted that...I would have to take myself to the
advisory board to decide if I need to be banned.:D

Dog won't vote for you being banned....there's something in your favor.

KCL
12-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Dog won't vote for you being banned....there's something in your favor.

lol....yea but I may have to pay him.;)

SR
12-26-2007, 01:32 AM
(bet you can't guess what State I live in

Texas. Only Texans brag about Shiner. It isn't that good.

SR
12-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Jody and KCL can hijack a thread like no one's business. Kinda gets annoying though, to be honest, because it's all over the place.

CoachChaz
12-26-2007, 11:55 AM

They just released a new black lager. Haven't had it yet, but I'm anxious.

You have to try all of the Shiner brands before judging the brewery. Can't base everything on just the bock recipe.
________
MEXICO CITY HOTEL (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

Broncolingus
12-26-2007, 11:58 AM

You are correct, sir!

Good/bad...who the hell cares - it's beer.

I once even drank poured it into a glass, but that was a little too 'up-scale' for me and I got scared...

SR
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
They just released a new black lager. Haven't had it yet, but I'm anxious.

You have to try all of the Shiner brands before judging the brewery. Can't base everything on just the bock recipe.

I like the blonde, dunkelweisen and hefewiesen. The rest of 'em are average. The bock is pretty good, but the black magic it gives me the next day isn't worth it.

CoachChaz
12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I like the blonde, dunkelweisen and hefewiesen. The rest of 'em are average. The bock is pretty good, but the black magic it gives me the next day isn't worth it.

Fair assessment. Ever had their anniversary recipe? Prolly the best of the bunch...at least until I try the black lager
________
SMOKING KILLS (http://smokekills.net/)

Rex
12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I like Lonestar.......seriously

slim
12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I like domestic light beer. But then, I am a redneck.

CoachChaz
12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I like Lonestar.......seriously

LoneStar really isn't all that bad. My first experience with it was out of a can and I refused to drink it forever, but I've given it another shot and while it's nothing to write home about, it's something I could pound on a hot day.
________
Herbal shop (http://herbalhealthshop.com)

CoachChaz
12-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I like domestic light beer. But then, I am a redneck.

I guess that make me a sophisticated redneck
________
BUY EASY VAPE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

slim
12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
I guess that make me a sophisticated redneck

Yes, you are a better class of loser :D

SR
12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
The beer that I really got attached to before I left was Pyramid hefeweisen. I miss it so. :tsk:

Jody
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM
:bump: Hey dog! We've got another lover of beers with us, that would be the llama lover, Frau.

dogfish
12-30-2007, 11:13 PM
:bump: Hey dog! We've got another lover of beers with us, that would be the llama lover, Frau.

sweet. . . anyone who likes beer is okay in my book!

i've gotta decide what i'm going to drink tomorrow night. . . .

SR
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM

A warm glass of shut the **** up. ;)

dogfish
12-31-2007, 02:27 AM
A warm glass of shut the **** up. ;)

nah, gotta have it chilled. . . . :shots:

sorry about your luck man. . .

SR
12-31-2007, 02:33 AM
nah, gotta have it chilled. . . . :shots:

sorry about your luck man. . .

I was just messin. I'm having a couple beers after work, probably some Stella Artois or Newcastle. That's the best this place has to offer.:tsk:

Zweems56
12-31-2007, 02:36 AM
I was just messin. I'm having a couple beers after work, probably some Stella Artois or Newcastle. That's the best this place has to offer.:tsk:

I've heard great things about stella, but I've never gotten the chance to try it. How would you best describe it? Or rather what other bear could you liken it to?

SR
12-31-2007, 02:47 AM
I've heard great things about stella, but I've never gotten the chance to try it. How would you best describe it? Or rather what other bear could you liken it to?

It's similar to Heineken. It's imported from Belgium with the same kind of taste, but a little more crisp when it's super cold. I like my lagers cold to the point where there is almost little pieces of frozen beer in the bottle. Overall, it's a pretty damn good beer for what it is. I'd drink it even when I was home.

dogfish
12-31-2007, 02:55 AM

that's not so bad. . .

Zweems56
12-31-2007, 02:55 AM
It's similar to Heineken. It's imported from Belgium with the same kind of taste, but a little more crisp when it's super cold. I like my lagers cold to the point where there is almost little pieces of frozen beer in the bottle. Overall, it's a pretty damn good beer for what it is. I'd drink it even when I was home.

ehhh... not a huge fan of heinekin. I'm more of a guinness fan myself, although I do prefer some ales as well.

SR
12-31-2007, 03:22 AM
ehhh... not a huge fan of heinekin. I'm more of a guinness fan myself, although I do prefer some ales as well.

Blech. :D .

Tned
12-31-2007, 03:44 AM

I like Stella better than Heineken. To me it seems like heineken has a little more of a bite to it, but hard to describe. I like Heineken, but stella better. When I was in England a couple weeks ago, I drank almost only Stella, but did have some IPA smooth bitters one night.

SR
12-31-2007, 03:51 AM
I like Stella better than Heineken. To me it seems like heineken has a little more of a bite to it, but hard to describe. I like Heineken, but stella better. When I was in England a couple weeks ago, I drank almost only Stella, but did have some IPA smooth bitters one night.

I'm drinking Haji diet Pepsi right now.

Tned
12-31-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm drinking Haji diet Pepsi right now.

Haji? what's that?

SR
12-31-2007, 04:06 AM
Haji? what's that?

Racial slur for Arabs. I probably shouldn't use it. I'm drinking an Arab diet Pepsi.

Tned
12-31-2007, 04:08 AM
Racial slur for Arabs. I probably shouldn't use it. I'm drinking an Arab diet Pepsi.

AHHH, WITH THAT, i'm going to bed. Later

SR
12-31-2007, 04:21 AM
AHHH, WITH THAT, i'm going to bed. Later

Goodnight. Talk to you tomorrow.

dogfish
12-31-2007, 04:44 AM
just cracked a bell's special double cream stout. . .

pretty good stuff, brewed with ten different malts. . . it's coal black with almost no head, very rich and heavy with low carbonation-- as creamy as the name suggests, but not as sweet as i'd expected. . . strong flavor of bittersweet chocolate with overtones of espresso and robust molasses. . . distinct roasty finish and a lingering aftertaste. . . good winter beer, but i can't imagine drinking more than a few of these-- the 6.1 ABV isn't overwhelming, but this stuff makes guiness look like light beer. . .

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 08:00 AM
This evening I will be enjoying a few bottles of my 13% homebrew.
________
Mondeo V6 Engine (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Mondeo_V6_engine)

SR
12-31-2007, 08:12 AM

Sam Jackson! It'll get ya drunk!

Jody
12-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm just hoping whatever brand of beer dog and SR drink bringing in the New Year, I'll get to see pictures of them with funny hats on and horns sticking out of their mouths. I need a good laugh starting out the new year.:D

Happy New Years!

I have Blue Moon on hand. Can you believe it was less expensive than any of the Miller or Bud beers?
What's up with that?

SR
12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm just hoping whatever brand of beer dog and SR drink bringing in the New Year, I'll get to see pictures of them with funny hats on and horns sticking out of their mouths. I need a good laugh starting out the new year.:D

Happy New Years!

I have Blue Moon on hand. Can you believe it was less expensive than any of the Miller or Bud beers?
What's up with that?

That is the second time you've said that in the last two pages of this thread.

You won't see any pictures of me with funny hats or any of that. I'm not even going to drink after work. I though about it, but decided against it because I'm so tired. I'm just gonna get my hair cut, take a shower, and go to bed.

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Sam Jackson! It'll get ya drunk!

Sam Jackson wishes he made something like I do
________
Ford V-8 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_V-8)

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Happy New Years!

What's up with that?

Blue Moon is mass distributed and a known cause of next day diarrhea. They almost give it away anymore
________
1952 Ford (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/1952_Ford)

DallasChief
12-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I've had Blue Moon a couple of times. I thought it was "ok".

Rex
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
I will take 24 Elsinores please.

SR
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Sam Jackson wishes he made something like I do

Once I get home and get settled in my new house, I'm going to AZ on some leave for a while. I'll be paying a visit to my favorite home brew store called "What Ale's Ya" of of 67th Ave and Bell rd in Glendale, AZ so I can pick up the missing pieces to my 6 year old home brew kit. I think all I need is the fermenting jug, a new valve that goes on top of that jug to let the air out, and I need a hose for bottling.

I can't wait to get back in to home brewing. I think I'll start out with an amber bock or some kind of wheat beer.

SR
12-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Blue Moon is mass distributed and a known cause of next day diarrhea. They almost give it away anymore

Blue Moon does not have that effect on me.

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Once I get home and get settled in my new house, I'm going to AZ on some leave for a while. I'll be paying a visit to my favorite home brew store called "What Ale's Ya" of of 67th Ave and Bell rd in Glendale, AZ so I can pick up the missing pieces to my 6 year old home brew kit. I think all I need is the fermenting jug, a new valve that goes on top of that jug to let the air out, and I need a hose for bottling.

I can't wait to get back in to home brewing. I think I'll start out with an amber bock or some kind of wheat beer.

Cool...We'll have to share some recipes. You could probably find the carboy, etc. much cheaper on-line rather than buying the stuff from an independent store.
________
Herbal vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/)

SR
12-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Cool...We'll have to share some recipes. You could probably find the carboy, etc. much cheaper on-line rather than buying the stuff from an independent store.

My dad and I have been buying our stuff at the same place since I was 13 or 14, so we both get really good prices on supplies, grains, malts, etc.

It's been a little over three years since I've cooked any beer, so I'm going to have to do a couple of 'confidence batches' before I start venturing out on my own, but I'll get there.

DallasChief
12-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd like to make my own Crown Royal. Anyone have the recipe for that?

frauschieze
12-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Ditto. I drink that stuff by the boatload. Need to buy another bottle before tonight!

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 10:18 AM
My dad and I have been buying our stuff at the same place since I was 13 or 14, so we both get really good prices on supplies, grains, malts, etc.

It's been a little over three years since I've cooked any beer, so I'm going to have to do a couple of 'confidence batches' before I start venturing out on my own, but I'll get there.

Good deal...I have a few contacts as well. I have a friend that owns a beer store and gets me the stuff you can't buy easily. i.e. Dogfish 120. I've also become pretty good friends with the guys at HomeBrew Headquarters and can get some deals there. But mostly, my uncle buys the stuff when we brew, so I always have minimal cost.
________
YAMAHA RAPTOR 700R HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Raptor_700R)

SR
12-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Good deal...I have a few contacts as well. I have a friend that owns a beer store and gets me the stuff you can't buy easily. i.e. Dogfish 120. I've also become pretty good friends with the guys at HomeBrew Headquarters and can get some deals there. But mostly, my uncle buys the stuff when we brew, so I always have minimal cost.

Are these places in the DFW area? That's a lot easier than Phoenix. I'm not about to buy some "Mr Brew" home brew kit online. Not a fan.

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Are these places in the DFW area? That's a lot easier than Phoenix. I'm not about to buy some "Mr Brew" home brew kit online. Not a fan.

Yep.

You can get a better kit on-line.

www.homebrewing.org
www.homebrewmart.com
www.thehomebrewstore.com
www.homebrewzone.com

Just to list a few
________
Raum (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Raum)

BigDaddyBronco
12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Yea, but you might go blind if you make a mistake while distilling it.

DallasChief
12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Yea, but you might go blind if you make a mistake while distilling it.

I've been told that something else I do might make me go blind but so far so good. :D

BigDaddyBronco
12-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I've been told that something else I do might make me go blind but so far so good. :D

But you got hairy palms.

dogfish
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM

niiiice . . . i've messed around with home brewing a bit, but i don't have the equiopment or the know-how to make my own mash-- yet. . . hopefully sometime in the near future. . . .

you have good taste, i see-- the 120 is one of my very favorites! my screen name isn't a coincidence. . . .

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
niiiice . . . i've messed around with home brewing a bit, but i don't have the equiopment or the know-how to make my own mash-- yet. . . hopefully sometime in the near future. . . .

you have good taste, i see-- the 120 is one of my very favorites! my screen name isn't a coincidence. . . .

Good call. What do you pay for the 120? In Texas it's illegal to sell anything over 18%, so I have to get it from a bootlegger.
________
Portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

dogfish
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Good call. What do you pay for the 120? In Texas it's illegal to sell anything over 18%, so I have to get it from a bootlegger.

in ohio it's illegal to sell anything over 13% :mad: , but it can legally be shipped into the state. . . i usually use one of these sites. . .

http://beergeek.stores.yahoo.net/usmicroale.html

http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

when i lived in colorado it generally went for $10-11 per bottle. . . how much do you have to fork over?

dogfish
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM

decided to go with some bell's two-hearted ale-- a nice seesion IPA, nothing too fancy. . . i'm going to my buddy's place, and i'm not spending large dollars to take top-shelf beer for his wife's friends to swill down. . . the two-hearted is perfectly good. . .

i did splurge for a bottle of patron, though. . . :shots:

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Jody
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
decided to go with some bell's two-hearted ale-- a nice seesion IPA, nothing too fancy. . . i'm going to my buddy's place, and i'm not spending large dollars to take top-shelf beer for his wife's friends to swill down. . . the two-hearted is perfectly good. . .

i did splurge for a bottle of patron, though. . . :shots:

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

You have a happy one too, dog! Cheers!

dogfish
01-08-2008, 11:57 PM
trying an interesting brew tonight-- ommegang chocolate indugence! as a rule i don't drink a lot of "flavored" beers that are brewed with sweet adjuncts like chocolate, vanilla, fruit, whatever-- but i'm definitely down to try new things, especially in terms of the stronger, darker beers. . .

ommegang is a new york brewery that specilaizes in belgian style brews-- this one is based off traditional belgiun chocolate stouts. . . it's their tenth anniversary brew, and is a moderate 7% ABV. . . as dark and rich as you'd expect, but more on the dry side than the sweet in comparison to some of the other chocolate stouts i've had (like the young's special, for example). . . not bitter like cocoa, though-- more of a semi-sweet bakers chocolate kind of taste, quite smooth for a beer of this color. . . still has the spices you'd expect from a belgian, but they are subdued and very nicely counter-balanced by the chocolate and the heavy malt-- just prevalent anough to add a refreshing hint of bite to an otherwise mellow brew. . . the spice helps to clear the palate and provides a surprisingly clea aftertaste for a heavy beer, with a suggestion of toasted nuts. . . subtle and complex like a good wine, with many contrasting notes that balance each other out and add up to a very unique and excellent beer. . . not an everday drinker-- more of a holiday/dessert type of beer-- but very good! wish i'd bought a few more of these-- i'm going to have to keep my eyes open. . .

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
trying an interesting brew tonight-- ommegang chocolate indugence! as a rule i don't drink a lot of "flavored" beers that are brewed with sweet adjuncts like chocolate, vanilla, fruit, whatever-- but i'm definitely down to try new things, especially in terms of the stronger, darker beers. . .

ommegang is a new york brewery that specilaizes in belgian style brews-- this one is based off traditional belgiun chocolate stouts. . . it's their tenth anniversary brew, and is a moderate 7% ABV. . . as dark and rich as you'd expect, but more on the dry side than the sweet in comparison to some of the other chocolate stouts i've had (like the young's special, for example). . . not bitter like cocoa, though-- more of a semi-sweet bakers chocolate kind of taste, quite smooth for a beer of this color. . . still has the spices you'd expect from a belgian, but they are subdued and very nicely counter-balanced by the chocolate and the heavy malt-- just prevalent anough to add a refreshing hint of bite to an otherwise mellow brew. . . the spice helps to clear the palate and provides a surprisingly clea aftertaste for a heavy beer, with a suggestion of toasted nuts. . . subtle and complex like a good wine, with many contrasting notes that balance each other out and add up to a very unique and excellent beer. . . not an everday drinker-- more of a holiday/dessert type of beer-- but very good! wish i'd bought a few more of these-- i'm going to have to keep my eyes open. . .

Me too, Steve Dave...it's called Bud Light. Great taste...flowing easily.

Colorado4Life
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
18th Amendment

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM

I assume you've had Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout
________
TRICHOME (http://trichomes.org)

Dreadnought
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
as a rule i don't drink a lot of "flavored" beers that are brewed with sweet adjuncts like chocolate, vanilla, fruit, whatever--

I'm usually with you there, mostly a pale ale drinker, BUT i've recently been on a Magic Hat #9 kick. Its very lightly flavored with apricots, which works better than you might think. Give it a try if you haven't.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Do they make a Louisiana Hot Sauce beer? I could probably get behind that.

Rex
01-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Do they make a Louisiana Hot Sauce beer? I could probably get behind that.

It HAS to be better than Natural Light. I mean, only a 'billy would drink that.:rolleyes:

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
It HAS to be better than Natural Light. I mean, only a 'billy would drink that.:rolleyes:

It's cheap.

The only time I drink Natty Light is when I go back to KS. And then, it's usually free.

Rex
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM

It's cheap.

The only time I drink Natty Light is when I go back to KS. And then, it's usually free.

Do you mock those people?

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Do you mock those people?

I don't mock you. I drank a Busch Light just this weekend.

Rex
01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't mock you. I drank a Busch Light just this weekend.

I am not gonna lie. I am a little bitter. I feel kinda like Nut.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I am not gonna lie. I am a little bitter. I feel kinda like Nut.

Don't be.

I'm coming to KS in April. I'll meet you in Ft Scott and I'll buy.

Rex
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't be.

I'm coming to KS in April. I'll meet you in Ft Scott and I'll buy.

What the hell is in Ft. Scott?

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
What the hell is in Ft. Scott?

Nothing. But it's a lot closer for me. :D

BroncoJoe
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I had to buy Keystone Light last night. The store was out of Coors Light.

Rex
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Nothing. But it's a lot closer for me. :D

Yeah...my next comment was...that is 60 miles from my house.

I aint a smart man, but I know when I am getting hosed. Might have to meet in Girard at the Sundowner.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah...my next comment was...that is 60 miles from my house.

I aint a smart man, but I know when I am getting hosed. Might have to meet in Girard at the Sundowner.

Girard is probably half way.

Rex
01-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Girard is probably half way.

Remember the endzone in Chanute? I got wasted there and some local retard strongman was gonna kill me for dancing with his girlfriend.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Remember the endzone in Chanute? I got wasted there and some local retard strongman was gonna kill me for dancing with his girlfriend.

I do remember the End Zone.

I went there when I was nineteen and my high school biology teacher was hitting on me. He was hot. I kid. It was a "she" and she was almost cute.

I think it's still there but the name has change about thirty or forty times.

Dreadnought
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I had to buy Keystone Light last night. The store was out of Coors Light.

Joe - I hope you believe that I have tremendous respect for you, your views, your amazing ability to land a hot wife, your family, all that stuff...but I gotta say, Coors Light?! Its just not good beer.

FWIW, Keystone is terrible too.

dogfish
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I assume you've had Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout

actually, i haven't-- i've drank plenty of sammy smiths, but i've never seena chocolate stout. . . i assume it's good? i'll keep an eye out for it. . . .

Rex
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Joe - I hope you believe that I have tremendous respect for you, your views, your amazing ability to land a hot wife, your family, all that stuff...but I gotta say, Coors Light?! Its just not good beer.

FWIW, Keystone is terrible too.

You suck. I dont ever want you to respond to another of my posts.
You are dead to me.

Dreadnought
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
You suck. I dont ever want you to respond to another of my posts.
You are dead to me.

cswil, don't take it so hard. I only want the best for my fellow freaks/forumsers, and the thought of drinking Coors Light when there is a whole Universe of great beer out there is almost tragic.

dogfish
01-23-2008, 08:00 AM
i recently drank some brooklyn brown ale. . . this was a favorite of mine back in college, and i hadn't had it in quite some time. . . it's a solid if unimposing brown, not as dark and heavy as some of the american brown ales-- the hops are noticeable, but definitely muted. . . it's lighter in both taste and texture than a lot of the browns that i prefer, but extremely smooth and drinkable. . . slight toffee sweetness with mellow roasty barley flavor and a distinct nuttiness-- clean finish without a powerful aftertaste. . . more assertive flavor than an amber ale or lager, but not nearly as intense or aggressive as some of the browns that i drink-- reminds me a little bit of becks dark. . . for those who are interested in experimenting with darker beers but fear the heaviness, this would be a good brew to start with. . .

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:03 AM
i recently drank some brooklyn brown ale. . . this was a favorite of mine back in college, and i hadn't had it in quite some time. . . it's a solid if unimposing brown, not as dark and heavy as some of the american brown ales-- the hops are noticeable, but definitely muted. . . it's lighter in both taste and texture than a lot of the browns that i prefer, but extremely smooth and drinkable. . . slight toffee sweetness with mellow roasty barley flavor and a distinct nuttiness-- clean finish without a powerful aftertaste. . . more assertive flavor than an amber ale or lager, but not nearly as intense or aggressive as some of the browns that i drink-- reminds me a little bit of becks dark. . . for those who are interested in experimenting with darker beers but fear the heaviness, this would be a good brew to start with. . .

I love a good brown ale. I may have to order one of these. Thanks for the info.

dogfish
01-23-2008, 08:07 AM
I love a good brown ale. I may have to order one of these. Thanks for the info.

no prob, that's what the thread is for. . . dogfish head's indian brown ale is by far, FAR my favorite brown (and one of my favorite brews regardless of style), but i also love avery's ellie's brown ale and tommyknocker's imperial nut brown (both from CO)-- have you had either of those? if not, definitely keep an eye out for them. . .

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
no prob, that's what the thread is for. . . dogfish head's indian brown ale is by far, FAR my favorite brown (and one of my favorite brews regardless of style), but i also love avery's ellie's brown ale and tommyknocker's imperial nut brown (both from CO)-- have you had either of those? if not, definitely keep an eye out for them. . .

I've had the Dogfish and Ellie's Brown before and both were very nice. The best brown I've had to date has probably got to be the Ale Smith Nautical Nut Brown Ale. Nothing is extreme. The hops, alcohol, grain, everything...all have perfect balance. Just a very good brown...my favorite in that class.

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I've never understood the fascination with beer. It tastes nasty, it destroys your liver, and it gives you a nasty headache the next morning. Hmm...

Bad beer tastes nasty...it only destroys your liver if you drink regularly in excess...and you only get a headache if you earn it.

SR
01-23-2008, 08:30 AM

The beer store I go to in Abilene sells Tommyknocker's. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Imperial Nut Brown when I get home next month.

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:35 AM
The beer store I go to in Abilene sells Tommyknocker's. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Imperial Nut Brown when I get home next month.

It has too high of an alcohol content for a brown. It's not bad, but the alcohol overwhelms it. I think it runs at about 10%

dogfish
01-23-2008, 08:38 AM
I've had the Dogfish and Ellie's Brown before and both were very nice. The best brown I've had to date has probably got to be the Ale Smith Nautical Nut Brown Ale. Nothing is extreme. The hops, alcohol, grain, everything...all have perfect balance. Just a very good brown...my favorite in that class.

i will grab it if i see it. . . i can't remember seeing a site that offers alesmith brews, but i'm sure somebody does. . . the stores around here carry the brand, but i've never seen that particular one. . . i've had their grand cru (didn't like it), and their barleywine-- i think it's called old numbskull, and that one was very good. . .

it's worth trying for sure-- they have a "regular" brown ale also (i actually think it's "maple brown," not "nut brown"-- same frickin' thing), and that one is pretty good also. . . obviously not as strong or flavorful as the imperial-- it's actually a bit on the watery side for browns, at least by my standards-- but it's a solid brew. . . i've been to the tommyknocker brewpub, but i can't remember having any of their beers besides the browns-- they do brew some killer root beers and cream sodas, though. . .

edit: i think the imperial brown is a seasonal, so you might have to wait until next year to try that one unless they happen to have some old bottles in stock. . .

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Anyone ever been able to ge their hands on a Sam Adams Utopias?

SR
01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
it's worth trying for sure-- they have a "regular" brown ale also (i actually think it's "maple brown," not "nut brown"-- same frickin' thing), and that one is pretty good also. . . obviously not as strong or flavorful as the imperial-- it's actually a bit on the watery side for browns, at least by my standards-- but it's a solid brew. . . i've been to the tommyknocker brewpub, but i can't remember having any of their beers besides the browns-- they do brew some killer root beers and cream sodas, though. . .

edit: i think the imperial brown is a seasonal, so you might have to wait until next year to try that one unless they happen to have some old bottles in stock. . .

I go to Tommyknocker's in Idaho Springs every time I'm in CO. Good stuff. The Buffalo Burgers are ******* awesome.

frauschieze
01-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Mmmmmm....buffalo burgers and good root beer. I'm salivating.

dogfish
01-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Anyone ever been able to ge their hands on a Sam Adams Utopias?

no, but the name sounds familiar-- is that their "extreme beer?"

i've never been a big fan of sam adams, but i've heard that some of their higher ABV brews are pretty damn good. . . they'd better be, from some of the prices i've seen! :shocked:

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
no, but the name sounds familiar-- is that their "extreme beer?"

i've never been a big fan of sam adams, but i've heard that some of their higher ABV brews are pretty damn good. . . they'd better be, from some of the prices i've ssen! :shocked:

Yeah...the "may as well call it a wine" beer. I was just curious if anyone had ever tried it. I think every review I read is completely different from the last one and I just can't get a feel on if it's something worth ordering.

dogfish
01-28-2008, 10:25 PM
dragon's milk

this stuff is freakin' amazing. . . it's brewed by a little place in michigan called new holland, so i don't know if it's available outside of the midwest, but it is very much worth trying if you find it, or can find a place to order it. . . it's such a dark brown that it's almost black-- heavy, dense, and oily, but not quite as thick as your typical stout. . . aggressive yet complex, with different notes becoming prevalent as it warms up. . . strong caramel malt character with overtones of vanilla. . . it's aged in bourbon casks, and the oak flavor is strong without being overwhelming-- gives it an almost smokey flavor, and a crisp, bitey finish. . . solid 9% ABV. . . this is their winter seasonal, and it's a perfect heavy beer for colder weather-- it would be downright oppressive in the summer time. . . highly recommended! coach, you should definitely try to track down a few bottles of this stuff, it lives up to the name. . .

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
dragon's milk

this stuff is freakin' amazing. . . it's brewed by a little place in michigan called new holland, so i don't know if it's available outside of the midwest, but it is very much worth trying if you find it, or can find a place to order it. . . it's such a dark brown that it's almost black-- heavy, dense, and oily, but not quite as thick as your typical stout. . . aggressive yet complex, with different notes becoming prevalent as it warms up. . . strong caramel malt character with overtones of vanilla. . . it's aged in bourbon casks, and the oak flavor is strong without being overwhelming-- gives it an almost smokey flavor, and a crisp, bitey finish. . . solid 9% ABV. . . this is their winter seasonal, and it's a perfect heavy beer for colder weather-- it would be downright oppressive in the summer time. . . highly recommended! coach, you should definitely try to track down a few bottles of this stuff, it lives up to the name. . .

I will definately add this one to the list. Have you ever heard of Dixie Brewing Company?

dogfish
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I will definately add this one to the list. Have you ever heard of Dixie Brewing Company?

yea, they did the crimson voodoo and blackened voodoo, right? it's been quite a few years since i've seen anything by them. . . .

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
yea, they did the crimson voodoo and blackened voodoo, right? it's been quite a few years since i've seen anything by them. . . .

There is a reason why. I was addicted to the Blackened Voodoo...LOVE the stuff. Unfortunately, the brewery was wiped out with Katrina. So, they haven't distributed in a few years. However...they have rebuilt and their distribution line is up and running again.

I have a recipe book at home that has teh recipe for Blackened Voodoo in it, but I can't quite replicate it.

dogfish
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
There is a reason why. I was addicted to the Blackened Voodoo...LOVE the stuff. Unfortunately, the brewery was wiped out with Katrina. So, they haven't distributed in a few years. However...they have rebuilt and their distribution line is up and running again.

I have a recipe book at home that has teh recipe for Blackened Voodoo in it, but I can't quite replicate it.

i remember liking the blackened, but it's probably been a dozen years or more since i've had it. . .

shank
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
do any of you guys brew your own beer?

i saw alton brown do it on 'good eats' and i'm tempted to try it lol.

Stargazer
01-30-2008, 02:30 AM
I like warm budweiser... Not the American kind...

CoachChaz
01-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Brewing your own may never save you a ton of money, but it's a fun hobby and you can have any style of beer you like. I've been doing it for about 7 years. Still love it.

Timmy!
01-31-2008, 04:52 AM
Some of my favorites:

Moose Drool
Avalanche
Springboard
Fat Tire
Bud Select (so much better than any domestic "light" beer)

MOtorboat
01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Fat Tire

:2thumbs:

shank
01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
blue moon
guiness
grolsch
asahi
busch gold top
molson xxx

(everyone here in gunnison drinks PBR... yeah)

MileHighWrath
01-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Moose Drool
Rolling Rock
Kilt Lifter
Dos Equis Amber
Tecate
Green Light

and my old standby ... Bud Light, because after the first 5 it matters not.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 03:41 AM
sam adams hallertau imperial pilsner

i generally don't drink sam adams-- their beers are nothing special-- but i'm a sucker for pretty much any imperial brew, so i had to try this one. . . it didn't disappoint-- easily their best beer that i've had. . . hallertau is a type of european noble hops, named for the region in germany where they're grown. . . european hops tend to have a spicier character than most american hops, and hallertau is one of the most distinctive varieties. . .

the beer is a cloudy, pale golden amber-- "clearly" unfiltered if you'll pardon the pun. . . pretty thick for a pale colored beer, almost syrupy. . . strong malt backbone, and i suspect they used british maris otter malt. . . sweet, which isn't surprising with a very solid 8.8% ABV, but the hyper-aggressive hop flavor and bitterness easily overpowers the sweetness. . . the hops live up to the name with dense, almost sticky layers of hop flavor that tastes like raw hop flowers were pressed and squeezed into the beer right before it was served. . . sam adams loves to talk big about hops in their commercials, but this is the only beer i've had by them that actually delivers. . . . subtle citrus and strong spice notes make for a clean finish, but the bitterness lingers pleasantly. . .

overall, very satisfactory. . .

Reidman
02-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Yep...

Matter of fact I have a Barleywine in the fermenter right now and a Scottish ale on deck for my next brew... Most people don't think you can homebrew great beers, but on the contrary some that I have made have rivaled commercial craft brews and I'm not just being biased, I have had people ask where I bought the beer since I don't label mine. I just smile and tell them I made it, it's a good feeling.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Yep...

Matter of fact I have a Barleywine in the fermenter right now and a Scottish ale on deck for my next brew... Most people don't think you can homebrew great beers, but on the contrary some that I have made have rivaled commercial craft brews and I'm not just being biased, I have had people ask where I bought the beer since I don't label mine. I just smile and tell them I made it, it's a good feeling.

you never post in the beer thread anymore except to brag about your home brew. . . . :sad:

SR
02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
On the way home when we stopped in Germany I had a few bottles of Paulaner Hefe-Weisen. Holy mother of God was that good.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I once had a beer thread

dogfish
02-22-2008, 02:41 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8079/bellshopslamfu2.jpg

bell's famous seasonal is out again!!

quite simply, this is one of the best beers ever brewed. . . . they describe it as a "tongue bruiser," and they're not ******* around! it's pretty much like drizzling a freshly cut hop bud with honey and then sucking on it. . . overwhelming, majestic hoppy bliss. . . this brew is so bitey it could cut straight through the BS of a three-day senate session. . . . 10% ABV, but you'd barely even know it had grain in it by the taste, the hops are so dominant. . . if you live in the midwest and can appreciate REAL beer, you are doing youself a tragic disservice if you don't run out and grab a couple sixes of this stuff. . . .

shank
02-22-2008, 02:58 AM
sorry dog, but that sounds bad to me. i really don't like over-the-top hoppy beers.

Reidman
02-22-2008, 09:52 AM
you never post in the beer thread anymore except to brag about your home brew. . . . :sad:

I've been laying off beer lately except for the occasional here and there. I found it's easier to lose weight when I'm not drinking 400 calorie monsters all the time...:D

I'll be back though dog, don't you worry...:beer:

dogfish
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I've been laying off beer lately except for the occasional here and there. I found it's easier to lose weight when I'm not drinking 400 calorie monsters all the time...:D

I'll be back though dog, don't you worry...:beer:

dude, if you can find a site that'll ship the hopslam. . . . you MUST get some of this stuff!!

Dreadnought
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, my local beer emporium didn't have Bell's Hop Blast, so I bought a 6 of Victory Hop Wallop Ale, made in Downington, PA, as I was in the mood for a very bitter Ale. Very nice, very Hoppy as the name would suggest. I'd recommend it

dogfish
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, my local beer emporium didn't have Bell's Hop Blast, so I bought a 6 of Victory Hop Wallop Ale, made in Downington, PA, as I was in the mood for a very bitter Ale. Very nice, very Hoppy as the name would suggest. I'd recommend it

that's too bad. . .

Slick
03-03-2008, 09:26 PM
The cervesa here isn't good. It's extremely limited.

I was lucky enough to find some Grolsch the other day at the store. Not the best, but a nice change. I find myself getting tired of Mexican beer.

I miss New Belgium beers, Boulder beers, Red Hook, Shiner Bock, Sierra Nevadas, Hazed and Infused. I hate you all. :lol:

dogfish
03-03-2008, 09:29 PM
The cervesa here isn't good. It's extremely limited.

I was lucky enough to find some Grolsch the other day at the store. Not the best, but a nice change. I find myself getting tired of Mexican beer.

I miss New Belgium beers, Boulder beers, Red Hook, Shiner Bock, Sierra Nevadas, Hazed and Infused. I hate you all. :lol:

i feel your pain, but everything in life is a tradeoff-- for example, i bet you're not getting freezing rain right now. . .