aberdien
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Discuss.

chazoe60
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
First boy band.

aberdien
03-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Mumford & Sons are the first gay band. What's your point?

MOtorboat
03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I agree.

But this won't end well.

chazoe60
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
The Beatles IMHO(it is just opinion ya know) are the most overrated thing ever.

To me Lenon and Harrison were talented but McCartney and Star are absolute hacks.

MOtorboat
03-17-2013, 01:45 PM

To me Lenon and Harrison were talented but McCartney and Star are absolute hacks.

Yes, the most decorated songwriter ever is just a hack. :rolleyes:

chazoe60
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Yes, the most decorated songwriter ever is just a hack. :rolleyes:

Bleh..

Dylan the songwriter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McCartney the songwriter

Dzone
03-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes, the Beatles are the greatest band in history.

Dzone
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Mumford & Sons are the first gay band. What's your point?
More gay than Queen?

aberdien
03-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Lennon and Harrison are the only two I really care about, but I dunno how you can even say McCartney was a hack.

Bleh..

Dylan the songwriter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McCartney the songwriter
Well duh. Dylan is a damned poet. You can't really compare the two at all either; McCartney is a pop song writer, Dylan is not. That doesn't necessarily mean that one of them is worse unless you're one of those weird old people who complain about how pop music isn't real music or something. To deny the greatness of either dudes songwriting abilities would be absurd, and is unrelated to personal preference.

More gay than Queen?
M&S are just better at hiding it.

OrangeHoof
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
While part of the Beatles' success was the accident of history, they found their greatest success when Lennon and McCartney were collaborators on songs. When each became more individualistic and then onto their solo careers, you could see the flaws of each. Lennon was a philosopher given to pretentious sermonizing and McCartney was prone to jolly works of commercial fluff. Each was somehow able to tell the other early on that their song was crap to where they worked to make it better, Paul by making John's work more palatable and John by telling Paul that his lyrics were too vapid.

IMO, they will always be the best group act in the history of pop/rock because of their versatility and historical significance. Later generations built on what groups like the Beatles and Stones produced.

One could also argue that the Stones and the Animals helped the Beatles' success because four cheeky lads from Liverpool seemed "safe" for their daughters when contrasted with the more suggestive and cocky Stones. Early on, mothers complained about the Beatles' long hair and tight trousers but after getting a look at the Stones, the Beatles were considered more harmless. I know this sounds laughable today but that's where the music scene was back then.

Timmy!
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Most overrated band of all time.

Slick
03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Revolver is my favorite album of theirs. I think it came out about the same time they discovered drugs.

aberdien
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Revolver is my favorite album of theirs. I think it came out about the same time they discovered drugs.

Yeah, that is my favorite too. Tons of drug references. "Got to Get You into my Life" written by Mr. McCartney sounds like a harmless love song but it's actually about marijuana.

Slick
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Huh. I didn't know that. I figured it was about a girl. I guess it was and her name was Mary Jane. I think my favorite song on the album is I'm Only Sleeping.

OrangeHoof
03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
I've often wondered how the feminists would explode today if John was warbling:

"You'd better run for your life if you can, little girl,
Hide your head in the sand, little girl,
Catch you with another man...
That's the end, little girl."

And then adding...

"Let this be a sermon, I mean everything I said
Lately I've determined that I'd rather see you dead..."

If John thought he caught hell over his "Bigger than Jesus" comment, imagine what today's fembots would do to him over those lyrics!

OrangeHoof
03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Well, apparently, the song has already been banned in Canada...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/263721/BEATLES-TUNE-YANKED-AFTER-WOMEN-PROTEST.html

weazel
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
I think they have to be ranked way up there but just way, way too many "ya ya ya ya" songs to be taken seriously as best ever.