PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker/Patriots split years in the making; free agency notes

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Forget the numbers.

The final offer that the New England Patriots made to Wes Welker and the one he accepted from the Denver Broncos might have been just $1 million per year apart. But put into context, they might as well have been made on different planets.

Welker finally had enough of the leveraging and squeezing and hardball tactics, and so, like Lawyer Milloy, Adam Vinatieri, Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour and even Logan Mankins (who eventually got paid) before him, he told the Patriots where they could stick their value assessment.

AND

The Broncos stepped in, offering Welker the chance to go from Brady to Peyton Manning and bringing what one Denver source called the "real big" recruiting presence of executive vice president of football operations John Elway to the table, and it was over quickly. "He's unreal," the source said of Elway. "Because he's genuine, and he's a guy's guy, some of the same reasons he was a great player. It's his personality, his charisma, his honesty; he's just a good dude."

It's apparent that Welker didn't feel he'd gotten the same forthrightness from New England.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/0ap1000000150667/article/wes-welkerpatriots-split-years-in-the-making-free-agency-notes

SoCalImport
03-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Ever since he retired as a QB and especially since he became co-owner of the Colorado Crush I've been waiting and wondering when JE would come back and get involved with the Broncos again. I honestly would've never been so optimistic as to think He'd bring so much so fast. I'm actually blown away by what He's been able to do in just over two years.

Thank You John!

wayninja
03-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Usually McDaniels has a knack for keeping talent happy. Wonder how he dropped the ball on this one? Kinda out of character for him...

turftoad
03-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Usually McDaniels has a knack for keeping talent happy. Wonder how he dropped the ball on this one? Kinda out of character for him...

Keeping talent happy? Yeah right, he proved that in Denver. He's a douschbag. He has no personnel skills what so ever.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah, McDaniels had a way of keeping talent happy as long as they didn't actually have talent. The Orton's, Maroney's and Tebow's of the world love him.......

Jsteve01
03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Usually McDaniels has a knack for keeping talent happy. Wonder how he dropped the ball on this one? Kinda out of character for him... well i can laugh ar this. Good one way

NightTrainLayne
03-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm glad everyone recognizes sarcasm when they see it. :D

BeefStew25
03-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm glad everyone recognizes sarcasm when they see it. :D

But not everyone recognized it.