PDA

View Full Version : NFL will propose to change "tuck rule".

Northman
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150828/article/nfl-proposes-to-change-tuck-rule

The NFL Competition Committee held a conference call on Thursday to go over possible rule change proposals that will be discussed at the NFL Annual Meeting starting Sunday, March 17.

One item on the agenda is sure to be cheered by Oakland Raiders (http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/profile?team=OAK) fans, although the notion will probably be seen as too little, too late.
The NFL will propose to change "The Tuck Rule."

The change will make it so a player loses possession when he tries to bring the ball back to his body. (Yes, then Tom Brady (http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/profile)'s play should have been ruled a fumble in that case.) If the passer loses control while the ball is going forward, it's still incomplete. If he loses the ball while tucking, it's a fumble.

CrazyHorse
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
It's not like they enforce it anyway. Look at the Ravens game.

Joel
03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
This is long overdue, but what really sticks out is the proposal to forbid runners leading with their crown outside the tackle box. That is utter crap; I've been complaining a while about the League practically putting defenders in straitjackets to protect "defenseless" WRs and QBs yet ignoring RBs, even though EVERYONE knows they absorb so much punishment their careers are notoriously short. So the League wants to FURTHER handicap runners while doing nothing to protect them. Oh, and no more cut blocks when linemen are moving toward their endline.

If I needed any more evidence Goodell's wants to turn the NFL into arena football for the sake of ratings, this would be it. I hope the casual fans and Madden junkies like it, though I'm not sure how many jerseys, caps and mugs they buy. It's getting to the point NFL games are decided, not by talent, but by who has the most LUCK at chunking up deep balls when trailing late and hoping that either the right guy grabs it or the refs throw a flag. Exhibit A: Joe Flacco, who has a strong arm but NO accuracy, also has a Super Bowl Ring thanks to all the bombs he threw to beat Manning.

Honestly, the whole Ravens season smells. Baltimore handing Ray "Stabby" Lewis another Ring as a gold watch may bring tears to the eye of everyone but his victims family, but a star player announcing retirement BEFORE rather than AFTER the playoffs makes NO competitive sense; it's a devastating blow to morale. Of course, if the results are predetermined it makes ample entertainment sense; then it's just a great spectacle. An over-the-hill team stumbles through the regular season barely winning an uncharacteristically weak AFCN, then cruises through the playoffs, it's only real challenge a Broncos team that led it by 4 TDs on the road in the 4th quarter just 3 weeks earlier, but couldn't beat them again in Mile High. Maybe Peyton should come out Opening Day and announce HIS retirement so the NFL hands US another title. :rolleyes:

So, a bit off topic but yeah, I'm glad the Tuck Rule MAY be going, but yeah, it probably is far too little too late. The way things look now all future champions will come from California, the Northeast, Dallas, or Pitt; I just don't think the rabid Packers fans have the numbers to make another Green Bay Super Bowl marketable.

OrangeHoof
03-16-2013, 09:28 AM
They call the tuck rule plenty when my teams are on defense, just never when my team is on offense, just like they only call the "blow to the head" or "blow to the knees" penalties on my pass rushers but never the other teams. Heck, Schaub gets kicked in the nuts and they don't even throw a flag but let that happen to Brady and the hankies would come from everywhere.