PDA

View Full Version : Remember when we were scared of the Pats offense: That's us now.

cmc0605
03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Admit it. The idea of playing the Patriots was the thing on everybody's mind toward the end of last season, and for good reason. They were, and are, the team to beat to establish AFC dominance. The Ravens fluked a super bowl on a handful of good deep balls, a blown coverage, an inspirational retirement, and now half of the "top talent" on that team is leaving. No other team in the AFC is at the level of the Broncos and Patriots.

The Broncos were viewed as the much better team in terms of balance, but the Pats had a nightmare-ish offense. A hall of fame QB throwing to two pro bowl WRs (Lloyd and Welker), pro bowl TEs (Gronk/Hernandez), an adequate running game, and solid depth.

That's us now, except we have a better defense, and a home run threat on special teams. A hall of fame QB throwing to two pro bowl WRs (Thomas and Welker), Decker who could start on almost any team, and at least serviceable Tight Ends. The chemistry is one year better, the o-line is solid.

Moreno is good but we need RB depth. MLB and some more d-line help, but this went from very good to powerhouse. There are no glaring holes.

Dapper Dan
03-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Admit it. The idea of playing the Patriots was the thing on everybody's mind toward the end of last season, and for good reason. They were, and are, the team to beat to establish AFC dominance. The Ravens fluked a super bowl on a handful of good deep balls, a blown coverage, an inspirational retirement, and now half of the "top talent" on that team is leaving. No other team in the AFC is at the level of the Broncos and Patriots.

The Broncos were viewed as the much better team in terms of balance, but the Pats had a nightmare-ish offense. A hall of fame QB throwing to two pro bowl WRs (Lloyd and Welker), pro bowl TEs (Gronk/Hernandez), an adequate running game, and solid depth.

That's us now, except we have a better defense, and a home run threat on special teams. A hall of fame QB throwing to two pro bowl WRs (Thomas and Welker), Decker who could start on almost any team, and at least serviceable Tight Ends. The chemistry is one year better, the o-line is solid.

Moreno is good but we need RB depth. MLB and some more d-line help, but this went from very good to powerhouse. There are no glaring holes.

The best thing about our signings is that not only did we get some good players, the Pats lost one of their best players and the Chargers lost a solid lineman. Now we just need to steal Eric Berry away from KC, somehow. Haha.

WARHORSE
03-13-2013, 11:41 PM
One more signing would make it complete: Steven Jackson.

​Championship.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
One more signing would make it complete: Steven Jackson.

​Championship.

Couldnt say it better

TXBRONC
03-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Couldnt say it better

I like your idea of drafting a running back better.

Krugan
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
The Pats offense wills till be scary.

They still have 2 hybrid TE's, sounds like a welker clone is there as well, and im sure they arent done finding WRs.

Welk runs great routes and for the most part makes the catches, but its only a minor sting to them in all honesty.

For us its an upgrade, no knocks on stokes or welker, but a younger quicker guy is now in NE.

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2013, 09:41 AM

They still have 2 hybrid TE's, sounds like a welker clone is there as well, and im sure they arent done finding WRs.

Welk runs great routes and for the most part makes the catches, but its only a minor sting to them in all honesty.

For us its an upgrade, no knocks on stokes or welker, but a younger quicker guy is now in NE.

A younger, quicker, more injury prone, and less accomplished guy in NE. Brady could always count on Welker, Amendola is an unkown at this point. My guess is that he will be an adequate replacement, but they are replacing a known with an unknown.

smith49
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

A young, talented WR that has proven that he cant stay healthy. At least to this point. Of course, that could change. Just sayin............

smith49
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
A younger, quicker, more injury prone, and less accomplished guy in NE. Brady could always count on Welker, Amendola is an unkown at this point. My guess is that he will be an adequate replacement, but they are replacing a known with an unknown.

Damn, beat me to it. Im so slow some times.

Krugan
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
He managed 63 catches last year in a short season on a pretty poor St louis team.

Its fine to wish disaster on the Patsys, but to say they arent still dangerous is an overstatement.

tomjonesrocks
03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
The Pats always just roll on. I will believe they fall off when I see it.

Rick
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I am still plenty scared of the Pats offense.

For the first time, probably in this decade, I actually believe we can go toe to toe with them however.

Northman
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Yea, i wouldnt quite ride off into the sunset just yet.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
I like your idea of drafting a running back better.

Both. If our options were Mendenhall or Bush or Greene, then I prfer to just draft one. But if we could land Jackson...we'd be set on offense. Either way, I would still draft the next back

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 10:57 AM
I am still plenty scared of the Pats offense.

For the first time, probably in this decade, I actually believe we can go toe to toe with them however.

I agree. Assuming all are healthy, they still have match-up nightmares in Gronk and Hernandez and if he's healthy...Amendola will fill in for Welker quite nicely. They lost some star power, but with the way they changed their offensive scheme, they really dont need Amendola to match Welker's number anyway.

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Amendola isn't an adequate replacement for Welker. Welker had some of the best numbers in football. That's because he stayed on the field. Sounds like the Pats need to sign another white receiver to play while Amendola is hurt. Maybe that will help pick up what they lost in Welker. Uh oh. Hopefully they aren't stealing Stokley.

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I believe we can cover Amendola better than Welker. That's what makes the difference. Welker gave us nightmares. I don't see Amendola doing that.

TXBRONC
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Amendola isn't an adequate replacement for Welker. Welker had some of the best numbers in football. That's because he stayed on the field. Sounds like the Pats need to sign another white receiver to play while Amendola is hurt. Maybe that will help pick up what they lost in Welker. Uh oh. Hopefully they aren't stealing Stokley.

Maybe they try to bring back Edelman. :whoknows:

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
They dont need Amendola to replace Welker. NE changed up their scheme and that's one of the reasons they hesitated to negotiate with him last year. In all honesty, the only reason he caught 100+ balls last year was because of the injuries to the TE's. If not for that, their new game plan would have truly had Welker as a 3rd option.

Despite injuries, Amendola is a quick, sure-handed slot receiver that produced on a bad team. If he only catches 70 balls for 900 yards, they'll be happy.

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Maybe they try to bring back Edelman. :whoknows:

More than likely. Which means they would have saved money by just paying Welker.

Apparently they had been talking to Amendola since early in FA. I just think it's insane the money that they gave him.

NightTerror218
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
They dont need Amendola to replace Welker. NE changed up their scheme and that's one of the reasons they hesitated to negotiate with him last year. In all honesty, the only reason he caught 100+ balls last year was because of the injuries to the TE's. If not for that, their new game plan would have truly had Welker as a 3rd option.

Despite injuries, Amendola is a quick, sure-handed slot receiver that produced on a bad team. If he only catches 70 balls for 900 yards, they'll be happy.

until he gets injured

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:21 AM
until he gets injured

He had 63 catches in only 11 games last year. Injury is always a concern, but I think he'll be fine

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 11:22 AM

And I would be happy if Rahim Moore only forces 4 fumbles and only intercepts 5 passes.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
And I would be happy if Rahim Moore only forces 4 fumbles and only intercepts 5 passes.

Yeah...that's the same thing.

skins_fan82
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
The 4th best offense in the NFL last year just signed the best slot receiver in the league. How is that possible?! LOL.

And the 4th best defense in the NFL last year signs one of the best cornerbacks in the league. Unreal.

Elway wants to win NOW while Peyton's window is still open.

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah...that's the same thing.

You're saying a team would be happy if a player plays better than he has for his entire career. Of course they would.

NightTerror218
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
He had 63 catches in only 11 games last year. Injury is always a concern, but I think he'll be fine

he had how many concussions last season 2 or 3?

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
he had how many concussions last season 2 or 3?

He has just as many concussions as any other player in the NFL.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
You're saying a team would be happy if a player plays better than he has for his entire career. Of course they would.

So...Welker did far less than Amendola has before he joined NE. It's not possible for Amendola to do the same?

NightTerror218
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Only problem with the original post is that we do not have that ground game.

Dapper Dan
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
So...Welker did far less than Amendola has before he joined NE. It's not possible for Amendola to do the same?

Possible? Anything is. Probable? I don't think it is. They're just not the same players. Amendola is more like Austin Collie than Wes Welker.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Possible? Anything is. Probable? I don't think it is. They're just not the same players. Amendola is more like Austin Collie than Wes Welker.

I'm not saying he's the same player. I just think that a player that can get 63 balls in 11 games in STL can certainly get 70 balls in NE.

Northman
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Yea, Amendola shined on a bad Rams team. It would be silly to think he wont shine in NE. Will he be as good as Welker? Hard to say but generally when you make the most of it on a crappy team you tend to be a star on a true contender with a true QB in place.

TXBRONC
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM

I disagree Chaz. In 2011 Welker caught 122 passes and that's with Gronk catching 90 passes and Hernandez catching 79. The offense their running right now was in place before McDaniels went back. IIRCC what they're running right is the same offense they ran when they won three Super Bowls in four years.

MOtorboat
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Tom Brady is still Tom Brady.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I disagree Chaz. In 2011 Welker caught 122 passes and that's with Gronk catching 90 passes and Hernandez catching 79. The offense their running right now was in place before McDaniels went back. IIRCC what they're running right is the same offense they ran when they won three Super Bowls in four years.

It was last year because of injuries. Surely you didnt miss all the stuff early in the year where they talked about changing the focus of their offense. Hell, it started before then when they didnt want to give Welker a long term deal because they didnt plan on relying on him as much.

Poet
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
I think they gave Amendola what Welker was asking for, more or less, because they know that they're never getting 16 games out of Gronk. He is a physical go who goes over the middle and he has that degenerative spinal issue.

Chidoze
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM

The thing I always get nervous about playing the Patriots, is the same thing that used to make me nervous about playing the Colts, their quarterback.

Tom Brady is one of the best. Every time the Broncos & Patriots play, he shows up & performs almost flawlessly every time. As long as Brady is their quarterback, I will still get nervous playing them.

The Broncos are certainly built to win, & they will be a tough team in the AFC this year for sure. They do have a few minor issues, but so does every team this time of year.

I think the Broncos strengths will be greater than the holes that the team has, & in large part, that will be because of our quarterback.

It will be an exciting, awesome year I hope!! Hopefully, Von Miller wont have to dream of confetti anymore, he will live it this year! :salute: