PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams...

Skinny
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Special teams coach pleased with unit's turnaround

BY PAT GRAHAM
11/17/07

Scott O'brien has been a special teams coach far too long to fret.

So he wasn't that worried when the Broncos struggled early and were near the bottom in virtually every special teams category.

O'Brien, who was brought in this season to overhaul the Broncos' special teams units, knew his squad would turn it around. They just needed time.

Now, his patience is being rewarded. The Broncos have been a vastly improved special teams unit since the bye week Oct. 14.

Over the last four games, Denver's punt coverage unit is giving up an average of 5.4 yards per return. Before the bye week, the squad was allowing 20.5 yards.

On kickoff coverage, Denver was giving up 25.8 yards before the bye and 18.3 after.

"What I do I believe in," said O'Brien, who's handled special teams duties throughout his NFL tenure, which began in 1991 with the Cleveland Browns. "It was just a matter of getting the guys to believe in that and in themselves. They know how important it is. It's not an easy job, but everybody looks for them to get that done for us."

Denver brought in free agent special teams player Jordan Beck in October to help bolster the squad. Beck had 13 special-teams tackles with Atlanta last season.

Although he's played in just four games, Beck is already tied with Steve Cargile and Champ Bailey with five stops on special teams.

"I'm just happy to contribute," Beck said. "We've got good energy as a unit and we're making some plays. We're hyped up and ready to go. You have to be full tilt and all out on every play for special teams. If you hesitate, that's when you get in trouble."

Punter Todd Sauerbrun is having one of the best seasons of his career. He's averaging a career-best 48.5 yards per punt, fourth in the NFL. He's also pinned opponents inside their 20 yard line 11 times this season.

"He's done a very good job for us," O'Brien said.

However, Sauerbrun did have a kick blocked out of the back of the end zone for a safety against Kansas City.

"We've shored it up," Beck said. "It was definitely correctable."

Although the Broncos' special teams units have made remarkable progress lately, O'Brien said there's plenty of work left to do.

"It doesn't get any easier from here, it gets harder," O'Brien said. "But they've been great. They've been one of the best groups I've been around. It just takes time."

Not to mention a little patience.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007711170350Couple things that stood out to me was just how much our punt return coverage has improved and this kid Beck is making a splash ... good to hear.

TXBRONC
11-17-2007, 12:20 PM
The one thing they didn't mention was the kick return unit. With Hall back there they seemed to picked it up a bit as well.

DenBronx
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
The one thing they didn't mention was the kick return unit. With Hall back there they seemed to picked it up a bit as well.

ive been impressed with hall as a returner. he looks very quick and cuts on a dime (mainly because he's a running back). also he chooses which hole to hit wisely. he looks like he wants to take it to the house every single time unlike clark and hixon who both looked scared silly.

sauerbrun has also done an outstanding job at pinning teams inside the 20. also as a holder for elam he has done great because there were a couple of bad snaps he corrected quickly to help elam bang it through. this guy is more than worth his money.

BigBroncLove
11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I have really liked Winborns addition to the special teams unit. The first week he had been signed he tackled or was involved in nearly every important tackle on kick offs (forget the week). His signing was considered by some to be a pure LB depth issue, but he is well known for his special team play and I think this played a prominent role in acquiring him. Bringing up Cargile from the practice squad has also seemed very important and the forementioned Beck also has done this team proud. I think our tackling on special teams is much improved and I have cringed less and less everytime we kick the ball.

I also like Hall. MAinly because he is a study down hill runner. Unlike Hixon and Clark he doesn't seem to hesitate. He runs hard and finds his holes as he runs. Hixon and Clark looked like they were running scared. After the hit Hall took in KC as an RB, I don't think many special teams hits could be worse.

ST is picking up. Now Im ust waiting for that KRTD the Brocos have been without for to many years...

broncosfanscott
11-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Good read. I am glad that we are improving on ST. I hear ya BBL, I am waiting for a return TD as well...........can't remember the last time we had one. :confused:

Lonestar
11-18-2007, 10:49 AM
It has been nice to have the improvement but then it was so bad it was not all that hard to improve on it..

There is a long ways to go IMO. Hopefully they will continue to get better than plateau..

gobroncsnv
11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Our field goal unit does a really good job as well. But if we are allowing (now) only 5.4 on punts, and 18.3 on kickoffs, I can't help but think we stack up with the best. We can't go back and fix what was done BEFORE the bye week, but if they are doing this well now, I have to say they DO have it turned around. If this turns out to be a consistent thing, I don't think we could ask for more.

Lonestar
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Our field goal unit does a really good job as well. But if we are allowing (now) only 5.4 on punts, and 18.3 on kickoffs, I can't help but think we stack up with the best. We can't go back and fix what was done BEFORE the bye week, but if they are doing this well now, I have to say they DO have it turned around. If this turns out to be a consistent thing, I don't think we could ask for more.

Actually it would be nice to see a huge run back by our side every so often.

BroncoAV06
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Looky here, Martinez with the Punt return for a TD, solid blocking all the way aound and G with enough speed to make it to the endzone!

Lonestar
11-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Looky here, Martinez with the Punt return for a TD, solid blocking all the way aound and G with enough speed to make it to the endzone!

And then a fumble, the Lord given and he taketh away..

BigBroncLove
11-20-2007, 02:11 AM
And then a fumble, the Lord given and he taketh away..

YEah, they kind of cancelled each other out IMO, but the blocking seems to be much better as a team IMO and Martinez does seem to be an above average returner for us when he hangs on to the ball.

Good things are coming out of this ST unit at last. Only one KR by the Titans looked scary when they reached the 37 yard line, but every other kick had excellent coverage, as did the punts. The Titans certienly don't have an electric returner, but its progress none the less.

Lonestar
11-20-2007, 02:18 AM
YEah, they kind of cancelled each other out IMO, but the blocking seems to be much better as a team IMO and Martinez does seem to be an above average returner for us when he hangs on to the ball.

Good things are coming out of this ST unit at last. Only one KR by the Titans looked scary when they reached the 37 yard line, but every other kick had excellent coverage, as did the punts. The Titans certienly don't have an electric returner, but its progress none the less.

better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick..

BroncoAV06
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Well we can continue to talk about speacial teams for next weeks game. First pirority on the speacial teams coaching list, don't kick to Hester. I know teams love to show what they can do, "we will stop him", but just don't. Work on squibs and or short high kicks that don't give Hester the chance to field the kick.

I think G learnd the value of the fair catch, got hammered after the ball went through his hands. Definitly something that I was talking about earlier in the year, team needed a spark a big play, got plenty of them last night.

omac
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Tennessee started at the 20, 20, 35, 10, 22, 20, 7, 10, and 15; they also had a punt return fumble at Denver territory.

Denver started at the 20, 20, 28, 20, 32, 20, 45, and 36, with a return for a TD.

The special teams performed real good in this game. :cheers:

omac
11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Well we can continue to talk about speacial teams for next weeks game. First pirority on the speacial teams coaching list, don't kick to Hester. I know teams love to show what they can do, "we will stop him", but just don't. Work on squibs and or short high kicks that don't give Hester the chance to field the kick.

Yeah, I agree, focus is on containment. The Raiders did a great job against him, though; not sure many teams can do that.

I think G learnd the value of the fair catch, got hammered after the ball went through his hands. Definitly something that I was talking about earlier in the year, team needed a spark a big play, got plenty of them last night.

The great thing about him is he seems fearless and tries to make plays. He learned from that the next play. :D

Retired_Member_001
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I have really liked Winborns addition to the special teams unit. The first week he had been signed he tackled or was involved in nearly every important tackle on kick offs (forget the week). His signing was considered by some to be a pure LB depth issue, but he is well known for his special team play and I think this played a prominent role in acquiring him. Bringing up Cargile from the practice squad has also seemed very important and the forementioned Beck also has done this team proud. I think our tackling on special teams is much improved and I have cringed less and less everytime we kick the ball.

I agree, Winborn is playing very well on Special Teams. He is quite quick, he's good chasing down the ball carrier and he's good at tackling. I wonder if he deserves a shot at Webster's spot ?

Dean
11-21-2007, 09:56 AM
This week they will get their "midterm" test. Hester, right now is the Bears bigest scoring threat. :salute: Can we stop him?????