PDA

View Full Version : Broncos close to an agreement with Terrance Knighton

BroncoWave
03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Per Adam Schefter...

"Broncos close to an agreement with Jacksonville free-agent DT Terrance Knighton, who wants to reunite with Denver DC Jack Del Rio."

If this signing goes down as expected I think we can finally end this notion that Denver ignores the D-Line. I have to say this would be a great day to cap off the first day of free agency.

Buff
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Mo is going to be super pissed that this thread isn't contained in the larger thread...

Dapper Dan
03-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I saw this via www.Twitter.com like minutes before you posted this.

You're late

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Two 330lbs. defensive tackles? That's a lot of flesh in the middle of the defensive line.

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Did anybody else notice the PFT picture on this report? Knighton hitting Rivers! Hahahaha...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/terrance-knighton-broncos-close-to-deal/

Now I'm hoping we sign him more then I originally did!

DenBronx
03-13-2013, 12:52 AM
This Elway guy is agressive!

MOtorboat
03-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Mo is going to be super pissed that this thread isn't contained in the larger thread...

That would've made it a whole hell of a lot easier to read. Especially since he hasn't actually signed.

TXBRONC
03-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I hope Denver can pull this off. Put him in the middle of the defensive line with Vickerson and we should be pretty stout up the middle.

broncofaninfla
03-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Fingers crossed this happens.

It looks like Elway and Co are going to use free agency to hit the immediate areas of need and stick with the best player available approach to the draft. I truly like the direction this team is headed.

CoachChaz
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
I think we could do better than Knighton

Zweems56
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Personally I think he got the bad end of the deal in a coaching change. Dog-housed. Del Rio had some faith in him when he was with the Jags, and IMHO, DR has an eye for big nasty DTs. I like big nasty DTs

Northman
03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
I have no problem with this guy. The mere fact they are actually addressing it makes me happy.

Ravage!!!
03-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I figure it to be a good endorsement when a guy that coached him is willing to go after him. So I'm happy to be getting a big body in the middle, although he's not something "elite"...I never expected that.

That being said, I did NOT say this when we tried to sign Cassle.

TXBRONC
03-13-2013, 11:29 AM

Who? There aren't many big men available in free agency IIRC. The best ones are not going anywhere and quite honestly I would rather have him than Dorsey.

BeefStew25
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Pot Roast!

broncofaninfla
03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Del Rio musy think he's capable being it looks like he's wanted him twice.

NightTerror218
03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Del Rio musy think he's capable being it looks like he's wanted him twice.

or he was telling Elway and Fox he needs to get one drafted.

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
or he was telling Elway and Fox he needs to get one drafted.

Then why would Denver be close to inking Knighton? They may still draft a defensive lineman, but as we all know the team has met with mid round or lower graded defensive tackles, the highest graded D-Lineman they met with were defensive ends or hybrids.

NightTerror218
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Then why would Denver be close to inking Knighton? They may still draft a defensive lineman, but as we all know the team has met with mid round or lower graded defensive tackles, the highest graded D-Lineman they met with were defensive ends or hybrids.

Del Rio was telling them either they need to draft on or get him a starter in FA. They are aiming in FA it looks like to use draft pick elsewhere. Entering FA DL was thin.

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Del Rio was telling them either they need to draft on or get him a starter in FA. They are aiming in FA it looks like to use draft pick elsewhere. Entering FA DL was thin.

Thin on elite talent, but not thin on starter capable defensive tackles. I still think that Wolfe will be Denver's next Trevor Pryce and end up on the inside instead of at his drafted position.

NightTerror218
03-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Thin on elite talent, but not thin on starter capable defensive tackles. I still think that Wolfe will be Denver's next Trevor Pryce and end up on the inside instead of at his drafted position.

Before signing Big Vick back it was empty. Now we have Wolfe and Big Vick, Beal, Siglia, Unrein (or what ever). I do not see much depth there. Anyone hear the size of the Big Vick deal. Is he signed to starter money?

TXBRONC
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Lan, Wolfe was drafted as a defensive tackle.

CoachChaz
03-13-2013, 12:43 PM
You know the well is dry when there is excitement for Vick and Knighton

NightTerror218
03-13-2013, 12:45 PM

why?

Zweems56
03-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Pssh. Vick is underrated IMHO

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Before signing Big Vick back it was empty. Now we have Wolfe and Big Vick, Beal, Siglia, Unrein (or what ever). I do not see much depth there. Anyone hear the size of the Big Vick deal. Is he signed to starter money?

Vickerson is what, 30? He signed a two year deal and will probably make about 2 to 2.5 million a year (best guess) when you look at the league minimum, then I would say he's getting about the market price for someone of his caliber - when you consider his numbers, this past season was only his second as a starter in the league.

Right now Denver has Unrein, Wolfe, Ayers, Beal, Vickerson, Siliga, Jackson, Garland and Dumervil. Hunter is an UFA as is Bannan, neither is likely to be a priority for the team. So the line is still relatively weak overall, adding Knighton boosts the interior with Vickerson, Siliga, Unrein, Garland and Wolfe, where Denver will be more thin is at end with Wolfe, Beal, Jackson, Ayers and Dumervil, especially depending on what happens to Doom and with Wolfe being better suited inside? I'll feel better about the interior with Knighton then I will for the end positions with who Denver has at defensive end, especially if Denver parts ways with Dumervil.

Lancane
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Knighton has been an impact starter at times and Vick proved his worth in Del Rio's defense this past season, both serviceable and capable in the defense in question which relies on them simply being roadblocks and utilizes the ends and outside linebackers more.

topscribe
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
He evolved into an inside-outside player as the season progressed and the
Broncos began to shift between a 4-3 and a quasi- 3-4. In the 4-3, he was
either at DE or inside Ayers as a DT. Then he would find himself playing
LDE among three down linemen. Actually, Pryce did that a lot, too.

Rick
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Can't have Suh, JPP, etc at every position, have to pick where you have stars(and are paying them as such) and where you have starters (and are paying them as such)

I think having 2 starting quality players at DT IS something to get excited about, it is a team game, they don't always have to be cream of the crop.

BroncoWave
03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
This deal is now official. This day just keeps on getting better!

shank
03-13-2013, 04:44 PM
is chaz the new board-official debby downer?

CoachChaz
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
is chaz the new board-official debby downer?

No...just not impressed by an interior of Vick and Knighton. We'll still have to draft a DT

CoachChaz
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
This deal is now official. This day just keeps on getting better!

Tell me we got DRC and Doom restructured and I will sleep well

Rick
03-13-2013, 05:33 PM
With bringing a guy like Welker on board we may need a guy like Doom even more as we may be able to let the rushers off thier leashes a bit more.

G_Money
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Tell me we got DRC and Doom restructured and I will sleep well

Abso-freakin-lutely.

Vasquez = great OL addition.
Vick and Knighton = good beef inside on D (which will help our future MLB be it Bradley or someone else stay clean to make tackles).
Welker for that price = Hell yes! (We essentially replaced DJ with Welker, who wouldn't do that?)

If we re-negotiate Doom for less, then add DRC, and THEN hit on a couple of guys in the draft (man, I wish Ogletree wasn't a knucklehead)...

This team is fixing the holes we saw in it over the course of the year, so it's nice that the guys in charge were watching the same games. That hasn't always been the case.

MLB, RB, CB, another DL, and a mid-round WR or athletic TE. Not too much for the rest of FA plus the draft. Lookin' good! :salute:

~G

Northman
03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
I like the Knighton pickup but agree, Doom would make me very happy if he stays.

nevcraw
03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Abso-freakin-lutely.

Vasquez = great OL addition.
Vick and Knighton = good beef inside on D (which will help our future MLB be it Bradley or someone else stay clean to make tackles).
Welker for that price = Hell yes! (We essentially replaced DJ with Welker, who wouldn't do that?)

If we re-negotiate Doom for less, then add DRC, and THEN hit on a couple of guys in the draft (man, I wish Ogletree wasn't a knucklehead)...

This team is fixing the holes we saw in it over the course of the year, so it's nice that the guys in charge were watching the same games. That hasn't always been the case.

MLB, RB, CB, another DL, and a mid-round WR or athletic TE. Not too much for the rest of FA plus the draft. Lookin' good! :salute:

~G

agreed!!
gotta keep Doom and figure away to stop pass catching TE's..

Nomad
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Denver's weakness is collapsing the pocket of opposing QBs....hopefully Vickerson and Knighton can do it.

Simple Jaded
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
G if Ogletree wasn't a knucklehead the Broncos wouldn't have a chance at drafting him.......

Ziggy
03-14-2013, 05:00 AM
How can you not love beefing up the defensive line in a Jack Del Rio defense? He doesn't need superstar defensive tackles. He needs tackles that can eat up double teams and keep the linebackers clean running to the ball. Vickerson and Pot Roast are both very agile for thier size, and fit the bill perfectly. Over 650 pounds of beef in the middle of a Broncos defensive line? I'll take it and love every minute of it. Elway saw this team get pushed around on both sides of the ball against the Ravens. We finally have a GM that is willing to do something about it. Great signing.

NightTerror218
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
How can you not love beefing up the defensive line in a Jack Del Rio defense? He doesn't need superstar defensive tackles. He needs tackles that can eat up double teams and keep the linebackers clean running to the ball. Vickerson and Pot Roast are both very agile for thier size, and fit the bill perfectly. Over 650 pounds of beef in the middle of a Broncos defensive line? I'll take it and love every minute of it. Elway saw this team get pushed around on both sides of the ball against the Ravens. We finally have a GM that is willing to do something about it. Great signing.

Gotta love having a Football minded GM rather then a numbers GM. He knows what needs to be fixed rather then looking at bottom line (he knows how to do that too).

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM

If we draft a DT that has pass-rushing skills, then I'll be more content with Vick and Knighton. I'd like to see more of a middle rush

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
If we draft a DT that has pass-rushing skills, then I'll be more content with Vick and Knighton. I'd like to see more of a middle rush

I'll second this. An edge rush is great, but when they ask QB's about disruptive pass rush they always say that a push up the middle is more disruptive than anything.

broncofaninfla
03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
With the DT strength of this years draft i can't help but think we'll add at least one into the rotation. The more i look at who we've signed, the more excited i am for the draft. I'm hoping Doom stays on board but i still feel good about the DL and the possibility of getting even better via the draft.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
With the DT strength of this years draft i can't help but think we'll add at least one into the rotation. The more i look at who we've signed, the more excited i am for the draft. I'm hoping Doom stays on board but i still feel good about the DL and the possibility of getting even better via the draft.

Kawaan Short suddenly interests me at 28

broncofaninfla
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Kawaan Short suddenly interests me at 28

i was just checking out videos of him before logging on here. the kid is a BEAST!

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
i was just checking out videos of him before logging on here. the kid is a BEAST!

At first I wasnt thrilled because he had a tendency to take plays off. But looking at what he's been doing since the season ended and listening to interviews, he's grown on me quite a bit

broncofaninfla
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
At first I wasnt thrilled because he had a tendency to take plays off. But looking at what he's been doing since the season ended and listening to interviews, he's grown on me quite a bit

Living in Florida i didn't see many Purdue games but the stuff i've been reading and the videos online certainly looks like the kid can bring the pressure up the middle. With Miller on one edge and hopefully Doom on the other, pressure up the middle from a kid like him would make this DL very disruptive.

broncofaninfla
03-14-2013, 12:41 PM
K. Short: 2009-2012 he had 49.5 tackles for a loss and 18 sacks. I'm still trying to find how many QB pressures he had but the kid seems to bring heavy pressure up the middle.

CoachChaz
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
K. Short: 2009-2012 he had 49.5 tackles for a loss and 18 sacks. I'm still trying to find how many QB pressures he had but the kid seems to bring heavy pressure up the middle.

I'm just waiting for his workout on the 26th. He missed the combine and couldnt work at his Pro Day

Nomad
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM

I'll second this. An edge rush is great, but when they ask QB's about disruptive pass rush they always say that a push up the middle is more disruptive than anything.

Yep!! A glaring weakness for a long time.

Ziggy
03-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Short has first round talent, but a second rate motor. Unless Elway changes his draft philosophy, he won't be a Bronco.

Ziggy
03-14-2013, 07:07 PM

I would too Coach. He doesn't have to be a penetrator. Someone who could collapse the pocket consistently would be just as effective. That's where I like guys like Jesse Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, and Geathers would be most effective. I think that Vick and Knighton together will surprise some folks though.

Nomad
03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
I would too Coach. He doesn't have to be a penetrator. Someone who could collapse the pocket consistently would be just as effective. That's where I like guys like Jesse Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, and Geathers would be most effective. I think that Vick and Knighton together will surprise some folks though.

You better watch saying that word around here.....don't drop the soap:lol:

dogfish
03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
keep it in the lounge, nomad!

Poet
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I heard they call Dogfish the penetrated.

dogfish
03-14-2013, 07:40 PM
I heard they call Dogfish the penetrated.

i heard that's what i call yo mama. . . :wave:

Poet
03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
i heard that's what i call yo mama. . . :wave:

My mother is an upstanding woman and would never stoop to the likes of you. You withdraw that comment or else.

Nomad
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
keep it in the lounge, nomad!

Aye, Sir!

Lancane
03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
:eek:

You all keep talking like this and someone is going to get raw dogged in the butt...you know Beef can't handle such excitement, especially when someone says...'penetration or penetrable'.

:lol:

dogfish
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
My mother is an upstanding woman and would never stoop to the likes of you. You withdraw that comment or else.

fine. . . next time you're out this way, i'll buy you a burger. . .