PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: Facing Cutler not special

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Denver Broncos first-year coach Josh McDaniels said Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears carries no extra meaning, despite the return of quarterback Jay Cutler.

The public rift between the rookie coach and Pro Bowl quarterback ultimately resulted in Cutler being traded with a draft pick to the Bears for quarterback Kyle Orton and draft picks.

The Bears visit Denver on Sunday night.

"No, it is just another great opportunity for us to fix things that we haven't done well," McDaniels said Tuesday, when asked if the game carried extra significance. "We are trying to go out there and fix some things that we made mistakes on [against] Seattle today.

"This game is another step in our process of getting ready for the regular season. If you try to make too much of the game or the opponent in the preseason, I think you are kind of missing the point. The point is it is an opportunity for us to go out there and improve, and that is what we are going to treat it as."

Denver fans likely would disagree about the game not being more significant. Cutler ruffled some feathers during an Aug. 4 interview on ESPN 1000 when he talked about the passion of Bears fans, who numbered 20,000 for training camp.

"In Denver, we didn't have this many fans at all," he said on the "Waddle & Silvy" show. "We weren't even able to accommodate that many fans [at practice]. That's Chicago Bears fans for you. They're proud of their Bears.

"It's a lot [different]. Denver's like a six and Chicago's like a nine. It's quite a bit different. Just the fans and how passionate they are, that's probably the biggest difference."

Cutler and Orton are both coming off strong performances, and both will want to keep their focus on the game.

"It'll be a lot of fun, are y'all going?" Cutler joked with reporter after Saturday's win over the New York Giants. "It's a preseason game -- obviously there's going to be a little bit of drama wrapped around it, but we just have to focus and keep moving forward as an offense, and keep doing the stuff out there on the field that's going to help us in the future."
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4422541

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
McDaniels says it, I believe it. ;)

This game has no special meaning to anyone at all at least no more than any other game.

Shazam!
08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
That's Chicago Bears fans for you. They're proud of their Bears. It's a lot [different]. Denver's like a six and Chicago's like a nine. It's quite a bit different. Just the fans and how passionate they are, that's probably the biggest difference.

I hate him.

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I hate him.

no need to hate the guy

what goes around comes around..

he may rue the day he asked for that trade..

and maybe not..

Shazam!
08-26-2009, 12:45 AM
no need to hate the guy

what goes around comes around..

he may rue the day he asked for that trade..

and maybe not..

**** him and the money I wasted on my authentic Jersey.

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 12:48 AM
**** him and the money I wasted on my authentic Jersey.

hey did you learn something from it if so chalk it up to an educational expense :salute:

Hmm I wonder if you could deduct that on your taxes?:D

Shazam!
08-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I gave it to an assistant manager at my local Gamestop. We talk football all the time.

Hopefully he'll take my returns that he normally shouldn't now...

He actually thinks Denver is a sleeper this year.

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I gave it to an assistant manager at my local Gamestop. We talk football all the time.

Hopefully he'll take my returns that he normally shouldn't now...

He actually thinks Denver is a sleeper this year.

I think they are also just do not think they will be play off bound think they will be more spoiler than sleeper.

Just like the giants did to us spoiling that perfect season when we were 13-0 and toomer caught that pass in the back of the EZ with almost no time to go..:mad:

silkamilkamonico
08-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Good for McDaniels.

Focusing on what denver needs to do to improve, and not worrying about the success or failures of an ex bronco, or another teams player.

I'm really happy with what we have in McDaniels and hope he can succeed here in Denver.

Gamechanger
08-26-2009, 01:16 AM
as if a preseason game is important

Watchthemiddle
08-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Who's Cutler?

Dirk
08-26-2009, 05:25 AM
McD might not admit it...but I know the fans want to see the Broncos put a hurtin' on Cutty! :lol:

I don't wish him harm...but 2 or 3 ints would be nice. :D

claymore
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
McD might not admit it...but I know the fans want to see the Broncos put a hurtin' on Cutty! :lol:

I agree. If Both Cutler and Orton embarrass the Broncos, its all that will be talked about for a week or less.

I would think players, media and fans that bought into JMCD's philosophy would begin to question it.

Orton needs to have a good game.

Mike
08-26-2009, 08:36 AM

That and to see him get planted a few times. :beer:

Dean
08-26-2009, 08:41 AM
This is the third game. It is the one that teams game plan for and treat like a normal game during the year. We should get a look at what we are planning to do this season.

It will be worth the watching.

Mike
08-26-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree. If Both Cutler and Orton embarrass the Broncos, its all that will be talked about for a week or less.

I would think players, media and fans that bought into JMCD's philosophy would begin to question it.

Orton needs to have a good game.

True...it would be good for Denver, publicity wise, if Orton has a good game. The fans who aren't happy with McD and the Cutler saga will be joined by the media bashing the deal if Orton plays poorly and Cutler plays well.

On the other hand, hopefully most fans will understand that the Broncos are rebuilding and learning a new system. That McD's philosophy is brand new and will understand that judging his system around the 3rd game (a preseason game at that) is sheer stupidity. At this point, I think fans should hope to see chemistry, team-work, heart, and some improvement.

Any fan hoping for more is asking to be disappointed and will become bitter and angry.

BigSarge87
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Seriously, I've avoided watching Cutler this year on purpose just because I think it's going to make me sick. This weekend is going to be hard for me. I know it's old news, I just think Cutler could have been a HOFer in this offense. It just blows my mind that the dude couldn't work it out with McDaniels.

Screw it....I hope we break his collarbone.

claymore
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
True...it would be good for Denver, publicity wise, if Orton has a good game. The fans who aren't happy with McD and the Cutler saga will be joined by the media bashing the deal if Orton plays poorly and Cutler plays well.

On the other hand, any level-headed Bronco fan will understand that the Broncos are rebuilding and learning a new system. That McD's philosophy is brand new and will understand that judging his system around the 3rd game (a preseason game at that) is sheer stupidity. Fans should hope to see chemistry, team-work, heart, and some improvement.

Any fan hoping for more is asking to be disappointed and will become bitter, angry fans.So you are defining a level headed Bronco fan as someone that expects a poor performance, and expects to lose?

I think we are all level headed Bronco fans then.

Chemistry, team-work, heart and improvement would mean TD's and less turnovers.

Im not looking to get sunshine blown up my ass durring the post game presser's stating that Orton has never been so confident, and JMCD stating Orton had a great game besides the turnovers and lack of points.

The final score this Sunday doesnt count, but the perfomance of Our starting unit's damn sure does.

Mike
08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
So you are defining a level headed Bronco fan as someone that expects a poor performance, and expects to lose?

I think we are all level headed Bronco fans then.

Chemistry, team-work, heart and improvement would mean TD's and less turnovers.

Im not looking to get sunshine blown up my ass durring the post game presser's stating that Orton has never been so confident, and JMCD stating Orton had a great game besides the turnovers and lack of points.

The final score this Sunday doesnt count, but the perfomance of Our starting unit's damn sure does.

Yeah, it was a poor choice of words...I just changed it while you were posting.

I would say improvement would be playing together as a team, cutting down on the turnovers, generating turnovers, less confusion on both sides of the ball, looking sharp in the red-zone, and good solid fundamentals (tackling, blocking, catching, throwing, etc). That is what I hope to see when I watch the game. It would be great to win though. But I don't expect to see world beaters out there at this point in time.

I still say that not all fans have been level-headed lately though...and that they have unrealistic expectations of a team learning to play together under a new system. And those unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment, bitterness, and anger. ;)

claymore
08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, it was a poor choice of words...I just changed it while you were posting.

I would say improvement would be playing together as a team, cutting down on the turnovers, generating turnovers, less confusion on both sides of the ball, looking sharp in the red-zone, and good solid fundamentals (tackling, blocking, catching, throwing, etc). That is what I hope to see when I watch the game. It would be great to win though. But I don't expect to see world beaters out there at this point in time.

I still say that not all fans have been level-headed lately though...and that they have unrealistic expectations of a team learning to play together under a new system. And those unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment, bitterness, and anger. ;)
My problem is that rookies have come into new systems this year, with less time to prepare as Orton.

They have for the most part looked better.

I want to see Ortons scoring drives outnumber his turnovers, and the defense I just want to see some 3 and outs. Thats all I want.

I could care less what the score is.

NightTrainLayne
08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I want to see Ortons scoring drives outnumber his turnovers, and the defense I just want to see some 3 and outs. Thats all I want.

Just for the record. Last week Ortons scoring drives outnumbered his turnovers and the defense did force some 3 and outs.

;)

claymore
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Just for the record. Last week Ortons scoring drives outnumbered his turnovers and the defense did force some 3 and outs.

;)

Well I want to see it against the bears. :D

NightTrainLayne
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM

That makes two of us. :salute:

claymore
08-26-2009, 09:53 AM

;)

I know its to much to ask for, but I want them to be TD's.

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
McDaniels says it, I believe it. ;)

This game has no special meaning to anyone at all at least no more than any other game.

McDaniels might not, but i know Cutler does. He takes everything personal. :lol:

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:09 AM

Thats the bottom line for me. I dont care if we look like crap with our last preseason game. I just want to look sharp against the Bears. I want Jay and the Bronco fans leaving after the game believing that we will be ok without him. Just give me something to look forward too this year. In the first two games we have seen the same Jeckyl and Hyde performances that have plagued this team for the last 6 years. Im still excited because this is a new era for us but at the same time i want to see a progression, a new attitude, and better execution. If anything, just give me this game for now so that we dont get mocked at for the rest of the year over it. Even though its preseason, if Jay burns us we will never hear the end of it. Hell, i dont care if we even lose, just dont get blasted out of the stadium and dont look like utter crap like we did last week.

claymore
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Thats the bottom line for me. I dont care if we look like crap with our last preseason game. I just want to look sharp against the Bears. I want Jay and the Bronco fans leaving after the game believing that we will be ok without him. Just give me something to look forward too this year. In the first two games we have seen the same Jeckyl and Hyde performances that have plagued this team for the last 6 years. Im still excited because this is a new era for us but at the same time i want to see a progression, a new attitude, and better execution. If anything, just give me this game for now so that we dont get mocked at for the rest of the year over it. Even though its preseason, if Jay burns us we will never hear the end of it. Hell, i dont care if we even lose, just dont get blasted out of the stadium and dont look like utter crap like we did last week.

There will be far reaching consciences if Orton ends up getting booed. Heaven forbid people chant "We want Jay".

I said it before, but this is a very important game for the players and fans mentaly.

Gamechanger
08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I know its to much to ask for, but I want them to be TD's.

but what if he throws them left handed again? :shocked:

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Dont make me pull a Tonya Harding and go to Indy and smack Peyton's leg. Tread lightly my friend, tread lightly. :coffee::lol:

Gamechanger
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Dont make me pull a Tonya Harding and go to Indy and smack Peyton's leg. Tread lightly my friend, tread lightly. :coffee::lol:

I'll send Curtis Painter as a peace offering

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I'll send Curtis Painter as a peace offering

In a heartbeat. ****, just give me Sorgi. :lol:

claymore
08-26-2009, 10:28 AM

I dont even know how to respond to that. :(

Gamechanger
08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
In a heartbeat. ****, just give me Sorgi. :lol:

Sorgi is flipping glass

how the hell do you get a hammy injury by holding a clipboard?

claymore
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorgi is flipping glass

how the hell do you get a hammy injury by holding a clipboard?

At least he has a spleen. :coffee:

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG, just fell out of my chair. hahahahaaa

Gamechanger
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM

rotflmmfao

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
There will be far reaching consciences if Orton ends up getting booed. Heaven forbid people chant "We want Jay".

I said it before, but this is a very important game for the players and fans mentaly.

Let's hope that no one is classless enough to chant we want jay.

Nor have we love jay posters in the stands. As the national media will focus on that instead of any good points that this team has done.

I know that their are many bitter fans about the many changes that happened this year, but this is the time to be the 12th man for the Broncos NOT the Bears. Let's see if the fans in DEN are the ones I used to know or have they become Philly fans that booed Mc Nab on draft day.

Traveler
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Think I'll stay away from the Forum this weekend. I can already see by reading various comments that this place is going to explode with another weak performance by the Orton and the defense.

Not sure I can stomach it, especially if Cutler plays well. I personally think he will unless the defense steps up. The Cutler supporters and McDaniels haters, including the media are gonna re-hash the drama for all it's worth.

That said, at least we'll get to see if Cutler has stopped pressing when it's counts. I know it's only a preseason game so no comments about that please.

Everyone is fooling themselves if they believe both McDaniels or Cutler's comments that this is only another game to try and get better. Both are out to prove a point and anyone familiar with the drama this offseason knows it.

Should also be interesting to again see NFL Networks Cutler/Orton QB comparisons.

OH THE DRAMA!

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
This will be a time that fans take the opportunity to express their displeasure with the FO/coach/GM by having signs that will read "we miss you Jay"..or.."we love Jay".... or some clever play on Jay/Orton's name. Thats the nature of mass crowds mixed with media exposure.

Doesn't make them classless. It makes them using the 1st amendment to their fullest advantage.

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
It makes them classless. JMHO.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Think I'll stay away from the Forum this weekend. I can already see by reading various comments that this place is going to explode with another weak performance by the Orton and the defense.

Not sure I can stomach it, especially if Cutler plays well. I personally think he will unless the defense steps up. The Cutler supporters and McDaniels haters, including the media are gonna re-hash the drama for all it's worth.

That said, at least we'll get to see if Cutler has stopped pressing when it's counts. I know it's only a preseason game so no comments about that please.

Everyone is fooling themselves if they believe both McDaniels or Cutler's comments that this is only another game to try and get better. Both are out to prove a point and anyone familiar with the drama this offseason knows it.

Should also be interesting to again see NFL Networks Cutler/Orton QB comparisons.

OH THE DRAMA!

yeah.. I think I'm with you on this one. I think the week after the game will definitely be one to stay away from the boards.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Its not classless to express your displeasure with your team or organization. If that were the case, we can name a LOT of Denver Bronco fans on the board ALONE that have been PRETTY DAMNED classless over the years in regards to every draft choice that has been made.

Expressing your fanhood by buying tickets and rooting for your team is showing you are a fan.... buying that same ticket and then expressing a dislike for choices your team has made is STILL showing the same kind of passion for the team.

Being a fanatic for the Broncos doesn't mean you always have to be a positive fanatic.

claymore
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Let's hope that no one is classless enough to chant we want jay.

Nor have we love jay posters in the stands. As the national media will focus on that instead of any good points that this team has done.

I know that their are many bitter fans about the many changes that happened this year, but this is the time to be the 12th man for the Broncos NOT the Bears. Let's see if the fans in DEN are the ones I used to know or have they become Philly fans that booed Mc Nab on draft day.

If Orton sucks, I hope they boo the shit out of him and JMCD. I want Bowlen to hear it. And I want it fixed ASAP.

I refuse to blindly accept poor decisions by our front office. Hopefully all the people that payed money for tickets feel the same way.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about it being a new system, new QB etc... McDaniels was hired to make us better. Trading Cutler away damn sure better have made us better.

And Sunday night is a chance for JMCD to prove that. I hope he does.

Traveler
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
If Orton sucks, I hope they boo the shit out of him and JMCD. I want Bowlen to hear it. And I want it fixed ASAP.

I refuse to blindly accept poor decisions by our front office. Hopefully all the people that payed money for tickets feel the same way.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about it being a new system, new QB etc... McDaniels was hired to make us better. Trading Cutler away damn sure better have made us better.

And so it begins....

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Its not classless to express your displeasure with your team or organization. If that were the case, we can name a LOT of Denver Bronco fans on the board ALONE that have been PRETTY DAMNED classless over the years in regards to every draft choice that has been made.

Expressing your fanhood by buying tickets and rooting for your tea is showing you are a fan.... buying that same ticket and then expressing a dislike for choices your team has made is STILL showing the same kind of passion for the team.

Being a fanatic for the Broncos doesn't mean you always have to be a positive fanatic.

Just expressing my opinion too. I think it's classless to boo a QB or to have a sign that is directed at the opposing teams QB when it's obvious he won't be back rather than support your own team and the QB who had nothing to do with any of the events that led up to this day.

Class would be to support your team and your QB.

JMHO.

Northman
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Amen.

They have the right to show their displeasure. Ravage is right about that. However, im all about the Denver Broncos not just one player no matter if i think he is talented or not. Im not a coach nor am i affiliated with the Denver Broncos organization to sit here determine if they were right/wrong about the moves they made. I may have opinions on the matter but in the end i will support my team and the guys who are ACTUALLY ON IT. Still thought it was a strange way to handle the QB position by McD but im even more disappointed in Jay for the way he handled it considering there were guys who were counting on him to be there when it mattered the most. To me, he let them down. Not vice versa.

But just like i hope fans dont come out throwing batteries at the guy i hope that the fans get behind the team no matter what. Its not their fault what transpired in the offseason and they deserve the support no matter how you feel about the Cutler fiasco. If you come out with signs rooting for Cutler you just dont get it when it comes to be a fan of the Denver Broncos and i feel sorry for you. Had Reeves succeeded in trading Elway so many moons ago i would of still loved Elway but would have never rooted for him to beat my team at any given moment. And i agree with you Day that would be truly classless.

WARHORSE
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Its just another Ho-Hum preseason game with no special meaning other than workin on our team.

I just want to see Orton throw a left hander into the endzone for a score........three times.........thats all I want. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Just expressing my opinion too. I think it's classless to boo a QB or to have a sign that is directed at the opposing teams QB when it's obvious he won't be back rather than support your own team and the QB who had nothing to do with any of the events that led up to this day.

Class would be to support your team and your QB.

JMHO.

Again, I understand its your opinion, and I totally respect that.

But signs to the QB, or opposing QB, aren't really signs to them....but to the coach/owner/GM to see.

Showing your displeasure IS supporting your team. Fans want to be better, they spend their money, spend their emotions ROOTING, cheering, cursing and crying for/with this team. Their hearts are with this team.

Emotions run HIGH for/with the Denver Broncos. You can't even be married to the person you LOVE the most in the world and never expect not to have a fight or disagreement. Boo'ing the team's performance on the field and/or flashing a sign to the camera's is just one of the very few ways we can communicate our displeasure to our spouse (team).

Considering the high emotions that have circled this trade... expect this kind of reaction for years. Fans on here will continue to bash Jay by calling him names and such..... and that to me is just as classless. Just as childish, just as immature as they claim he is being/has been. But the emotions are high on this topic.

You'll see signs that will have pictures of crying babies just as much as you see signs supporting Jay. But is it as classless to knock the opposing QB?

Traveler
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Its just another Ho-Hum preseason game with no special meaning other than workin on our team.

I just want to see Orton throw a left hander into the endzone for a score........three times.........thats all I want. :coffee:

You can cut through the sarcasm here with a knife.

Northman
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
But is it as classless to knock the opposing QB?

No.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Amen.

They have the right to show their displeasure. Ravage is right about that. However, im all about the Denver Broncos not just one player no matter if i think he is talented or not. Im not a coach nor am i affiliated with the Denver Broncos organization to sit here determine if they were right/wrong about the moves they made. I may have opinions on the matter but in the end i will support my team and the guys who are ACTUALLY ON IT. Still thought it was a strange way to handle the QB position by McD but im even more disappointed in Jay for the way he handled it considering there were guys who were counting on him to be there when it mattered the most. To me, he let them down. Not vice versa.

But just like i hope fans dont come out throwing batteries at the guy i hope that the fans get behind the team no matter what. Its not their fault what transpired in the offseason and they deserve the support no matter how you feel about the Cutler fiasco. If you come out with signs rooting for Cutler you just dont get it when it comes to be a fan of the Denver Broncos and i feel sorry for you. Had Reeves succeeded in trading Elway so many moons ago i would of still loved Elway but would have never rooted for him to beat my team at any given moment. And i agree with you Day that would be truly classless.

Is having a sign of support for Jay a sign that you hope he beats the broncos?

I agreed with everything you said except the bolded red... simply because I feel you countered yourself with what you said about Elway. You would have supported Elway...yet not to beat the team. Had Elway been traded, don't you think there would have been signs of support for John on the crowds? Does that mean we would hope that Elway (Jay in this case) beats our team?

I personally don't see it as being the same. I can support/like/root for a player and be disgruntled with the Broncos and STILL know in my heart that I'm a HUGE fan. I'm not a lemming. I dont' simply accept every move made as being happy-happy-joy-joy...but I'm a fan even when I express my displeasure for certain players, coaches, GM, or even the owner.

If I wasn't a fan... I wouldn't even care enough to express my displeasure in their moves/hires/fires/draft choices. Its BECAUSE I care that erupts emotions, and sometimes those emotions aren't positive.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
No.

Hmmm... seems odd to me. Seems like thats a blind fan that simply 'accepts' everything that is done simply because they represent the Broncos.

I guess we'll just have to disagree here.

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM

If fans like yourself go into the game with this kind of attitude. Then the slightest mistake is going to bring out the boo's. Which IMHO is classless.

Just because they have that right to do so does not mean they should.

Turning their back on a team in almost total rebuild does not accomplish anything.

Remeber jay is only one piece in the change in chicago in a very simple offensive system unlike the changes in DEN.

While I hope for us to play well I'm not stupid enough to know there are not going to be glitches in the team work till later in the year.

If someone wants to protest the time to do so was when mike was fired, jay was traded and some did by writing and turning in saeson tickets. Houray for them.

Now is the time for the fans of old to remember how it is to back your team through thick and thin.

What has been done is DONE and mike and jay are not coming back. Nothing can be "fixed ASAP".

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not buying the 'rebuilding' thing. I'm just not.

This offensive unit didn't need to be rebuilt. The team went 8-8 with the YOUNG offense and a HORRENDOUS defense. That means there is ONE thing that should be worked on and rebuilt..... the defense.

But thats not the case. Now all of a sudden EVERYTHING is being 'rebuilding mode' and we are supposed to simply accept a 5 win season as "well it wasnt' his fault."

That doesn't work for me.

Plus... again... this is a pre-season game. If there is a time to express your displeasure, it would be a pre-season game and NOT a regular season game. So I'm glad this matchup is happening now, in pre-season, instead of the regular season so that the fans can get it out of their system.

Northman
08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Is having a sign of support for Jay a sign that you hope he beats the broncos?

I think so. Because at that point you've made it about Jay vs the Broncos. If said fan wants to travel to a Bears/Vikings game and show that sign than great. I dont want to see that in Invesco stadium.

I agreed with everything you said except the bolded red... simply because I feel you countered yourself with what you said about Elway. You would have supported Elway...yet not to beat the team. Had Elway been traded, don't you think there would have been signs of support for John on the crowds? Does that mean we would hope that Elway (Jay in this case) beats our team?

Do i think there would of been signs? Oh yea. But i still disagree with it. I would support John quietly in my own house when he is playing someone other than Denver. I would never go to a Denver game and openly root for him to beat my team which is exactly how it would come across not only to other fans but the players who would see that crap.

I personally don't see it as being the same. I can support/like/root for a player and be disgruntled with the Broncos and STILL know in my heart that I'm a HUGE fan. I'm not a lemming. I dont' simply accept every move made as being happy-happy-joy-joy...but I'm a fan even when I express my displeasure for certain players, coaches, GM, or even the owner.

I guess that is where you and i differ my friend. I never get disgruntled with the Denver Broncos. Am i frustrated that we look like crap and arent winning like we used too? Absolutely. But i dont find myself blasting the organization or feel the need to post signs saying they were wrong with the choices they made. Do i question the moves they make at times? Oh yea, but im behind this team no matter what. They feel they are doing what they think is best for the organization and im going to support them in their decisions. Whether it comes to fruitition or not will be determined at a later date. But the minute i start broadcasting that on live TV or in the stadium that would send a poor message to all the players who are working hard to try and get this team back to greatness.

At that point you have put your emotions ahead of the respect for the players who playing the game for YOU. Those other guys who are out there are playing their hearts out and you think that seeing a sign blasting the organization or promoting a former player is a positive one for them? Screw that. This team is struggling as it is and the last thing they need to see is some dillweed saying that they would be better off with a former player. In the end man, its about respect for the guys who are still here. At some point you have to figure out what kind of message you want to send. Do you want to send a message that its all about you and your unhappiness or that you will support the team no matter how upset you are with what has transpired.
I hated the move to sign Dale Carter, in fact i was enraged. But i still supported the team and their choice. I never went and showed a sign "Shanny, you sign thugs you complete idiot" just because i disagreed with a move. Sends the wrong message to the guys who matter most.

frauschieze
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I hope that Cutler sees this as a grudge match. He didn't play that great when San Diego trounced us all those times when he and Rivers were flappin' their jaws at each other.

The greatest satisfaction I'd have is Cutler in a dirty jersey.

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Again, I understand its your opinion, and I totally respect that.

But signs to the QB, or opposing QB, aren't really signs to them....but to the coach/owner/GM to see.

Showing your displeasure IS supporting your team. Fans want to be better, they spend their money, spend their emotions ROOTING, cheering, cursing and crying for/with this team. Their hearts are with this team.

Emotions run HIGH for/with the Denver Broncos. You can't even be married to the person you LOVE the most in the world and never expect not to have a fight or disagreement. Boo'ing the team's performance on the field and/or flashing a sign to the camera's is just one of the very few ways we can communicate our displeasure to our spouse (team).

Considering the high emotions that have circled this trade... expect this kind of reaction for years. Fans on here will continue to bash Jay by calling him names and such..... and that to me is just as classless. Just as childish, just as immature as they claim he is being/has been. But the emotions are high on this topic.

You'll see signs that will have pictures of crying babies just as much as you see signs supporting Jay. But is it as classless to knock the opposing QB?

Can you demonstrat to me how booing Orton and/or having signs that say "We love you Jay" is telling the front office anything at all? Can you also demonstrat to me how this is supporting the Broncos? All I see is that it means "we don't like you Orton and we want Cutler back".

Totally classless. Yes they have the right to do it. They also have the right to have sign that says "We love you Kyle" or a sign that says "We think the FO is stupid for letting Jay go" if they want to let the FO know they are upset.

The right to do it don't give you the right to have class if you do.

Orange7
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
But thats not the case. Now all of a sudden EVERYTHING is being 'rebuilding mode'

I agree, we had a young o-line, young receivers and a young quarter back. There was no need to rebuild the Offense, all we needed to do was slowly build the defense by drafting cleverly, and making a couple of decent FA pickups. Now the whole team is "rebuilding".

Really, our team last season is alot better than this season's team.

Mike
08-26-2009, 12:00 PM

We must have been watching two different teams last year.

Traveler
08-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm not buying the 'rebuilding' thing. I'm just not.

This offensive unit didn't need to be rebuilt. The team went 8-8 with the YOUNG offense and a HORRENDOUS defense. That means there is ONE thing that should be worked on and rebuilt..... the defense.

But thats not the case. Now all of a sudden EVERYTHING is being 'rebuilding mode' and we are supposed to simply accept a 5 win season as "well it wasnt' his fault."

That doesn't work for me.

Plus... again... this is a pre-season game. If there is a time to express your displeasure, it would be a pre-season game and NOT a regular season game. So I'm glad this matchup is happening now, in pre-season, instead of the regular season so that the fans can get it out of their system.

Ravage,

This where we'll have to agree to disagree.

The highlighted portion is exactly what I'm referring to when I mention the division of Bronco fans.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone wouldn't understand that even if things looked great on one side of the ball, that means it wasn't necessary for changes to be made.

I will say that type of reasoning might be vaild if the same offensive system was going to be used. But it isn't. So, it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that the new regime tore down what seemed to be okay.

Everyone shoud feel free to voice their displeasure. Hell, I don't agree with some of the changes that have been made. But, I've been around long enough to know that not all change is bad. Even if I don't happen to agree with it.

This team badly needed a change in direction and leadership. It needed to be torn down and rebuilt. It still remains to be seem if this was the right decision.

The Shanahan magic was lost quite awhile ago. The team became mediocre at best. Ten years and the team didn't get better and noticeably digressed in most cases. Rarely did they show up when it counted most and that was a direct reflection of the "Little Man Upstairs." That's not a shot at Shanahan, just my expression of how the saying the "team takes on the image of their coach."

I'm willing to wait and see and would hope others would do the same.

Orange7
08-26-2009, 12:03 PM

8-8, with one of the most promising offenses in the league.

The same cannot be said for this year.

claymore
08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
If fans like yourself go into the game with this kind of attitude. Then the slightest mistake is going to bring out the boo's. Which IMHO is classless.

Just because they have that right to do so does not mean they should.

Turning their back on a team in almost total rebuild does not accomplish anything.

Remeber jay is only one piece in the change in chicago in a very simple offensive system unlike the changes in DEN.

While I hope for us to play well I'm not stupid enough to know there are not going to be glitches in the team work till later in the year.

If someone wants to protest the time to do so was when mike was fired, jay was traded and some did by writing and turning in saeson tickets. Houray for them.

Now is the time for the fans of old to remember how it is to back your team through thick and thin.

What has been done is DONE and mike and jay are not coming back. Nothing can be "fixed ASAP".

If we are rebuilding then JMCD is already a failure. He was hired to get us over 8-8. Not to take us to 4-12.

Make it sound as pretty as you want, but he is not getting payed to lose more games than we lost last year.

9-7 is what I expect. Any less and Bowlen screwed up royaly.

If we go 4-12 or worse this year, I will have the rebuilding discussion with you next year.

claymore
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Yeah, Ortons one Preseason td was great. :rolleyes:

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
If we are rebuilding then JMCD is already a failure. He was hired to get us over 8-8. Not to take us to 4-12.

Make it sound as pretty as you want, but he is not getting payed to lose more games than we lost last year.

If we go 4-12 or worse this year, I will have the rebuilding discussion with you next year.

Already a failure? Wow, jumping the gun a little aren't you?

CoachChaz
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Insanity. Having a young star QB whine his way out of town (if it can be assumed McD pushed him out, then I think it's legit for me to assume he worked his way out), having to rebuild the defense, install a more efficient offense, trying to find as many players as possible to accomplish this, facing a tough schedule...

...how the hell can 9-7 be the benchmark? I'll say this much. if Shanny and his gang were still here, Cutler might throw for 5000 yards this season (with 25 TD's and 20 INT's), but we'd still have a worse record than what McD will help us get

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Can you demonstrat to me how booing Orton and/or having signs that say "We love you Jay" is telling the front office anything at all? Can you also demonstrat to me how this is supporting the Broncos? All I see is that it means "we don't like you Orton and we want Cutler back".

Totally classless. Yes they have the right to do it. They also have the right to have sign that says "We love you Kyle" or a sign that says "We think the FO is stupid for letting Jay go" if they want to let the FO know they are upset.

The right to do it don't give you the right to have class if you do.

If you don't see fans holding up signs that say "we love your jay" (or whatever) is telling the FO that they are displeased taht he isn't here, than I don't know what else to say to you. It doesn't mean we 'want you back', because we know he'll never be back. But it could say "we sure as hell wish you never left." That is saying something. You don't think Bowlen knows/hears/reads/sees the reactions about this debacle??? Damned right he does. How is expressing displeasure in a FA pick-up, signing, or draft choice NOT supporting your team? Maybe you think that simply nodding your head and believing everything they do is "the right way" as support?? Thats just being a blind follower.

I support our govt, but I sure as hell don't want to be some blind follower simply because they tell me its the right thing to do. I guess holding up signs that were anti-bush were classless?

I guess you never thought of the fans in N.O. years ago that would go to the games wearing bags over their heads as 'fans?' Yet each and every week those same fans were sitting the butts in the stadium, wearing the jersey's they bought...but putting bags over their heads. Why? To make a point. I guess you see that as classless too? I don't know.

How about just a fan that REALLY likes Jay Cutler?? Isn't it ok for a Denver fan to be a FAN of another player?? WHy not? I'm a HUGE Jay Cutler fan! I think he has SICK talent, and our organization was absolutely effing NUTS to trade him away, and honestly feel it will bite us in the ass for the next 10 years. But despite that, I'm a FAN of the game of football. I LOVE football. I like players on other teams, and I enjoy watching ALL the games. I'm a Jay Cutler Fan, and don't see a problem with being one.

So how is it that if I'm expressing my like for one player, is any LESS classy than fans that express hatred/dislike for opposing players? I don't have to be a drone to be a fan.

Since when is expressing a positive message (a love you dude) sign LESS classy than holding up some derogatory message about another? Because its a sporting event? Right.

To you, expressing anything against the Broncos is 'classless.' Thats fine, thats your opinion and how you see things, and I respect your perspective as being your perspective. I think of it as just being a disgruntled fan. Fan=fanatic.... doesn't mean we have to be positive fanatics all the time. It means we are SOOO fanatical about our team, that we cry when they fail, cry when they succeed, jump up-n-down when things go well, and get pissed if they do something stupid.

I promise you though... simply from watching the pre-season games and seeing/hearing the reactions all over this Cutler thing. You will see some pretty 'classless' reactions in Denver stadium, and its not all going to be "we love you Jay" signs.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I'll say this much. if Shanny and his gang were still here, Cutler might throw for 5000 yards this season (with 25 TD's and 20 INT's), but we'd still have a worse record than what McD will help us get

If it were possible, I would jump all over this bet with both feet

claymore
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Insanity. Having a young star QB whine his way out of town (if it can be assumed McD pushed him out, then I think it's legit for me to assume he worked his way out), having to rebuild the defense, install a more efficient offense, trying to find as many players as possible to accomplish this, facing a tough schedule...

...how the hell can 9-7 be the benchmark? I'll say this much. if Shanny and his gang were still here, Cutler might throw for 5000 yards this season (with 25 TD's and 20 INT's), but we'd still have a worse record than what McD will help us get

The Cutler thing happened on MCd's watch, thats his responsibility.

9-7 is the benchmark. I doubt Bowlen hired him to make the team worse.

as for the 5000 yards stuff, whatever. thats crap.

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree, we had a young o-line, young receivers and a young quarter back. There was no need to rebuild the Offense, all we needed to do was slowly build the defense by drafting cleverly, and making a couple of decent FA pickups. Now the whole team is "rebuilding".

did you expect Josh to come in here and learn mikes system?

if that was what Pat wanted he would have stripped mike of all duties except being OC and hired and new GM and DC to fix those areas he thought needed to be fixed..

Do you think Pat hired Josh to be a mike clone or to bring him in to do what he knew best and that is the NE spread offense..

josh was hired to fix the broncos in the manner he knows best..

it was not his fault jay got butt hurt and wanted out of town.. it was jays fault for it and forcing himself out of town.. could josh have held his hand and bowed to King cutler probably but then he would have just perpetuated the problem..

jay has load of potential and I wish him well in playing for the team he always wanted to go to, just not this year (hoping for a top draft choice 8-13).. it is to bad that he did not want to become the next Tom Brady..

as for your last comment this team not being better than last year I guess you missed the draft and all the UDFA that signed..

and to judge the team over two preseason game is absurd..

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
8-8, with one of the most promising offenses in the league.
The same cannot be said for this year.

an epic fail when it came down to scoring TD's against a weak assed schedule to get their asses kicked 3-4 times and we just do not know what this year will bring.. against what some folks that know these things, say is the hardest schedule this coming year..

I suspect if mike and jay were around we would not have fared any better that 5-11 either.. then we would have to start looking of a new coach and take another year to rebuild the team..

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I saw the draft and the UDFA

But the reality is, this team is a 5 win team (+ or minus 1)

silkamilkamonico
08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I saw the draft and the UDFA

But the reality is, this team is a 5 win team (+ or minus 1)

Irrelevant. The team wasn't any better than a 9 win team had Shanahan not been fired. At least this way we can hope to see some progress within the organization, something that hasn't happened since 2005, and more importantly 1 time in the last 10 years.

claymore
08-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Irrelevant. The team wasn't any better than a 9 win team had Shanahan not been fired. At least this way we can hope to see some progress within the organization, something that hasn't happened since 2005, and more importantly 1 time in the last 10 years.

Shannahan grew stagnant. But its better than going backwards overnight.

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
If you don't see fans holding up signs that say "we love your jay" (or whatever) is telling the FO that they are displeased taht he isn't here, than I don't know what else to say to you. It doesn't mean we 'want you back', because we know he'll never be back. But it could say "we sure as hell wish you never left." That is saying something. You don't think Bowlen knows/hears/reads/sees the reactions about this debacle??? Damned right he does. How is expressing displeasure in a FA pick-up, signing, or draft choice NOT supporting your team? Maybe you think that simply nodding your head and believing everything they do is "the right way" as support?? Thats just being a blind follower.

I support our govt, but I sure as hell don't want to be some blind follower simply because they tell me its the right thing to do. I guess holding up signs that were anti-bush were classless?

I guess you never thought of the fans in N.O. years ago that would go to the games wearing bags over their heads as 'fans?' Yet each and every week those same fans were sitting the butts in the stadium, wearing the jersey's they bought...but putting bags over their heads. Why? To make a point. I guess you see that as classless too? I don't know.

How about just a fan that REALLY likes Jay Cutler?? Isn't it ok for a Denver fan to be a FAN of another player?? WHy not? I'm a HUGE Jay Cutler fan! I think he has SICK talent, and our organization was absolutely effing NUTS to trade him away, and honestly feel it will bite us in the ass for the next 10 years. But despite that, I'm a FAN of the game of football. I LOVE football. I like players on other teams, and I enjoy watching ALL the games. I'm a Jay Cutler Fan, and don't see a problem with being one.

So how is it that if I'm expressing my like for one player, is any LESS classy than fans that express hatred/dislike for opposing players? I don't have to be a drone to be a fan.

Since when is expressing a positive message (a love you dude) sign LESS classy than holding up some derogatory message about another? Because its a sporting event? Right.

To you, expressing anything against the Broncos is 'classless.' Thats fine, thats your opinion and how you see things, and I respect your perspective as being your perspective. I think of it as just being a disgruntled fan. Fan=fanatic.... doesn't mean we have to be positive fanatics all the time. It means we are SOOO fanatical about our team, that we cry when they fail, cry when they succeed, jump up-n-down when things go well, and get pissed if they do something stupid.

I promise you though... simply from watching the pre-season games and seeing/hearing the reactions all over this Cutler thing. You will see some pretty 'classless' reactions in Denver stadium, and its not all going to be "we love you Jay" signs.

Comparing the government to a football team is not even in the same category whatsoever. I won't even address that whole thing.

I just think that especially during the pre-season we should be showing support and enthusiasm rather than pesssimism and dismay when it comes to the players.

How do you think Kyle Orton feels when he gets booed and sees signs supporting the opposing teams QB? Maybe it makes him play better, I doubt it.

I'm not blindly following something I think may have been a mistake but I am at least willing to give it a chance before I hang the man. People that don't think Orton and McDaniels deserve a fair shake are one thing, people that show up at pre-season games and boo the QB they just acquired when he had no say are another. A lot of so called fans have decided they don't like Orton or McDaniels and are unwilling to even so much as give it a chance.

Since you've already decided what you think I think then there is no more discussion with you.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Since you've already decided what you think I think then there is no more discussion with you.

So, since I already have my opinions, on the matter, in place.... there is no more discussion. Couldn't that be said about anything? :confused:

I'm pretty sure those that choose to boo Orton aren't worried about hurting Orton's feelings ( just as Im sure no one will be concerned about Jay's feelings and sense of 'classlessness' when they are booing and displaying signs of dislike). If he's (Kyle) gets his feelings hurt, then we really are in a world of hurt.

ITs not a matter of comparing the govt to the football team :lol: its a matter of using an extreme example of loyalty and expressing displeasure while still maintaining that loyalty. If I can show displeasure with our VERY leader, our President, and/govt...but still be loyal to my govt and country, why can I not do the exact same thing with a football team and its decisions? :laugh:

Oh well. To which there own and thats what makes the world go 'round.

Day1BroncoFan
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
So, since I already have my opinions, on the matter, in place.... there is no more discussion. Couldn't that be said about anything? :confused:

I'm pretty sure those that choose to boo Orton aren't worried about hurting Orton's feelings ( just as Im sure no one will be concerned about Jay's feelings and sense of 'classlessness' when they are booing and displaying signs of dislike). If he's (Kyle) gets his feelings hurt, then we really are in a world of hurt.

ITs not a matter of comparing the govt to the football team :lol: its a matter of using an extreme example of loyalty and expressing displeasure while still maintaining that loyalty. If I can show displeasure with our VERY leader, our President, and/govt...but still be loyal to my govt and country, why can I not do the exact same thing with a football team and its decisions? :laugh:

Oh well. To which there own and thats what makes the world go 'round.

MOTS :lol:

Government decisions affect my loved ones, life, money, ambitions and potentially my freedom.

Football decisions affect my football team.

That's the difference to me.

I didn't, am not and have never even suggested that you cannot express what ever you want to express just that certain things are classless is all I said.

Stop putting words in my mouth since I have the same right to express my feelings. The fact that you disagree is perfectly fine with me. I could care less.

I have the right to walk around in my front yard in my underwear but it doesn't mean it's classy to do it.

claymore
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
MOTS :lol:

Government decisions affect my loved ones, life, money, ambitions and potentially my freedom.

Football decisions affect my football team.

That's the difference to me.

I didn't, am not and have never even suggested that you cannot express what ever you want to express just that certain things are classless is all I said.

Stop putting words in my mouth since I have the same right to express my feelings. The fact that you disagree is perfectly fine with me. I could care less.

I have the right to walk around in my front yard in my underwear but it doesn't mean it's classy to do it.
I do believe you would get arrested for that. Just sayin. :D

Davii
09-10-2009, 01:30 AM

I know i'm late to the game here, but this has to be one of the Claymore top ten. Frigging hilarious.