PDA

View Full Version : FIRST pick in the FIRST round

SR
08-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Alright, so I'm back in the fantasy football game after being dormant for the past two or three years. I'm in a league with fellow board members, but it makes no difference.

Draft day is Sept 2 at 7pm central time. I've got the first overall pick and I'm not sure if I should burn it on a bona-fide point getter like Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, or Peyton Manning or if I should gamble on a player like Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, etc.

QBs get you the most points on average, so my gut tells me to go with a QB that will score a lot of points and manage to play 13-16 games...Peyton Manning rarely gets injured and is as good as it gets...Phillip Rivers scores a lot of points...Drew Brees...well he's Drew Brees.

What are your thoughts?

nbenallo33
08-25-2009, 11:35 PM
i picked up manning with my 11th pick in the 2nd round

SR
08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I may be on a trip to Ft Benning, GA next week, so I'm not sure I'll even get to participate in the live draft. Maybe I'll luck out and have WiFi in my room.

Jaws
08-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Get Kyle Orton ;)

Thnikkaman
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Alright, so I'm back in the fantasy football game after being dormant for the past two or three years. I'm in a league with fellow board members, but it makes no difference.

Draft day is Sept 2 at 7pm central time. I've got the first overall pick and I'm not sure if I should burn it on a bona-fide point getter like Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, or Peyton Manning or if I should gamble on a player like Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, etc.

QBs get you the most points on average, so my gut tells me to go with a QB that will score a lot of points and manage to play 13-16 games...Peyton Manning rarely gets injured and is as good as it gets...Phillip Rivers scores a lot of points...Drew Brees...well he's Drew Brees.

What are your thoughts?

Maurice Jones Drew. Its a lock.

Hobe
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Do it! I think Farve will negatively impact Peterson's numbers this year.

Ravage!!!
08-26-2009, 11:40 AM

This is a very solid pick.

To the OP. I don't know what your scoring system is, but you can't ever go by taking the HIGHEST scorer.... because those are always QBs. But you have to go by what position has the biggest drop off.

Meaning if the 1st QB averages 100 pts per game, but the 10 QB averages 98 pts per game...taking that 100 pt per game player isn't gaining you anything over the 10th best player at the same position.

But lets use the same example with a RB. If your top RB averages you 100 pts per game (just using that number as an example), but the 10th best RB averages 48 pts per game.... than thats a HUGE difference in gain. The drop-off here is MUCH different.

Don't go with Manning, Breese, fitz, or Rivers.

My best advice, for a 10-12 man league, is to go with either Adrian Peterson, or MJD with the #1 overall pick.

Northman
08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I had the second overall pick in my Fantasy League. I took Tom Brady. The first pick was Peyton Manning and the third was Peterson. Normally, i would go with RB first but the last couple of years ive had QB issues in the long run. I had Cutler last year which was good for most of the year but then towards the end hurt me greatly. Meanwhile, Manning and Brees remained consistent and normally Brady when healthy is a beast as well. I made it a priority this year to get a good QB first. And i still ended up with guys like Tomlinson, Moreno, and Stewart. And got Big Ben as my backup along with the Pitt defense. So i feel pretty good this year.

underrated29
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
you go with AP hands down. SHouldnt even be a consideration.

With the vikes easy schedule and bretty boy there AP is a lock for atleast 16k yards, id venture close to 2k.

Northman
08-26-2009, 11:50 AM

With the vikes easy schedule and bretty boy there AP is a lock for atleast 16k yards, id venture close to 2k.

Maybe. You know how Favre gets with his passing attack. Just depends how smart the Vikings coach is.

MOtorboat
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you in my conference...or the other?

Reidman
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I think you jumped the gun if your talking about the forums league.

The draft order will be randomly selected upon all positions filling up. We are waiting for one more person and then the actual draft order will be determined. I just checked and it shows you at #2 spot now that GEM signed up...

dogfish
08-26-2009, 09:24 PM

^^ this ^^

AD is the consensus top pick, and the highest upside player in the game-- period. . . don't even think about anybody else. . .

Benetto
08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I had the first overall pick and thought about taking Michael Burner...Then I came to my senses and picked the best player in the NFL. Adrian Peterson.

Its a no-brainer. IMHO...