PDA

View Full Version : Elway Has Preseason Advice For Broncos Fans

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Broncos.elway.denver.2.1144174.html

Former Denver Broncos quarterback and legend John Elway on Monday said he likes what he sees so far in the current Broncos quarterback, Kyle Orton.

Even though Orton has thrown four interceptions in two preseason games, Elway says it's just preseason and fans shouldn't panic.

"Preseason is preseason and the thing is you look at all the rookie quarterbacks, they all have great preseasons; I had a great preseason," Elway said. "Once the regular season starts, that's when things really happen."

Elway says preseason football is always a big adjustment, but the Broncos made strides in the second preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks.

"They can make more strides this week and be ready for the regular season, but it's still kind of an unknown to see how they are going to react with all the different changes which are always tough to get everybody on the same page," Elway said.

After demanding a trade in the offseason, former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler will be coming to Denver with the Chicago Bears to play the Broncos in their third preseason game. It's a similar situation when Elway went to Baltimore as a Bronco after refusing to play for the Colts in his rookie year. Fearing they would get nothing for his rights, the Colts traded Elway to the Broncos.

"It was probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had; going back into Baltimore. But I think the difference is they are coming back here in a preseason game whereas we went back there the second game of the regular season," Elway said. "Plus I think that Broncos fans probably have a little bit more class than the Colts fans did."

The Broncos take on the Chicago Bears at Invesco Field at Mile High on Saturday at 6 p.m.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
You mean, the season isn't over?

Shocking.

Watchthemiddle
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Shocking! I was about to go be a Bear fan or something because I love individual players better than my team, but Elway speaks words of wisdom.

Shazam!
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Broncos quarterback and legend John Elway on Monday said he likes what he sees so far in the current Broncos quarterback, Kyle Orton.

Maybe some people can finally shut the **** up until Orton screws the pooch when it matters instead of blowing head gaskets for nothing.

pnbronco
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Former Denver Broncos quarterback and legend John Elway on Monday said he likes what he sees so far in the current Broncos quarterback, Kyle Orton.

:salute: :salute:

Chris90210
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
maybe he has some preseason advice for McD explaining why Hillis should be #2

Overtime
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
bawahahahahahaha...Elway just owned the Colts fans by saying Broncos fans have more class....priceless!!

Keep 'em coming Johnny Boy!!!

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
bawahahahahahaha...Elway just owned the Colts fans by saying Broncos fans have more class....priceless!!

Unfortunately, from what I've seen this off-season I'm not sure he's right. Whether its fans that all of a sudden manufacture hate for Jay Cutler who was our de facto team leader the past 2.5 seasons, or fans who won't give Kyle Orton a chance and boo him at a fricken' home scrimmage. .. .well, I just haven't seen much class from either side.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I did remember.... 49ers were 0-4 in their pre-season and they have won the Super Bowl with Montana and Young.

Northman
08-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Elway has a point but at the same time he is the face of the Denver Broncos even now. Orange & Blue is in his blood so i really dont expect him to come out and say we suck ass.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Elway has a point but at the same time he is the face of the Denver Broncos even now. Orange & Blue is in his blood so i really dont expect him to come out and say we suck ass.

However, Elway didn't say, " Orton is our guy and he is our future QB Star" like he referred to Jay Cutler over Jake Plummer.

guitarj
08-25-2009, 10:46 PM

You do know that the Colts were in Baltimore back then dont ya? Dont know how many Baltimore Colts fans there are out there, but I suspect its very few...haha

SR
08-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Maybe some people can finally shut the **** up until Orton screws the pooch when it matters instead of blowing head gaskets for nothing.

On that note, if anyone in the area needs a head gasket changed, shoot me a PM. ;)

I :salute: you, Mr. Elway.

SR
08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I did remember.... 49ers were 0-4 in their pre-season and they have won the Super Bowl with Montana and Young.

Dude...the last time the Niners won the Super Bowl was in 1994 against San Diego. You were like two years old...

SR
08-25-2009, 11:28 PM
maybe he has some preseason advice for McD explaining why Hillis should be #2

Because Hillis isn't the best pure RB on our team when Moreno is healthy, period.

Northman
08-25-2009, 11:28 PM
You do know that the Colts were in Baltimore back then dont ya? Dont know how many Baltimore Colts fans there are out there, but I suspect its very few...haha

Yea, they are very few but they also blame Elway for the reason the Colts left Bmore to begin with. I have had Colts fans come up to me and say, i like the Broncos but absolutely hate John Elway. But ironically, they also want no part of the Indianapolis Colts. To them, its not the same team.

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Because Hillis isn't the best pure RB on our team when Moreno is healthy, period.

he is a great BIG RB, but will see more service in other areas.. near the goal he can tote it or receive it and block with the best of them..

Broncos Mtnman
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Calm down Bronco Nation. Elway has liked "what he sees" in every quarterback since he retired.

Here's his take in 2006 when Jay took over for St. Jake....

Elway likes what he sees in Cutler (http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-155456098/elway-likes-he-sees.html)

Byline: Frank Schwab

DENVER _ The Denver Broncos are on their eighth season and third regular starting quarterback since John Elway retired.

Brian Griese couldn't fill Elway's shoes. Neither could Jake Plummer. Elway said rookie first-round pick Jay Cutler might be the one who can. Cutler started his first game Sunday, and struggled for most of a 23-20 loss to Seattle.

"Jay's the guy," Elway said Monday. "I'm going to answer those questions until they find the guy. Jay's got a chance to do it. Jake did a good job but Cutler's just a different guy, a different style. He can throw the ball downfield and drop back a little bit."

Elway held a press conference at the steakhouse that bears his name Monday morning. He was there to discuss the Colorado Crush, the Arena Football League team he operates as the chief executive officer. He spent most of the 30-minute press conference discussing the Broncos' quarterback situation.

Elway is a Hall of Famer who retired after guiding the Broncos to their second straight Super Bowl win at the end of the 1998 season. Until someone approaches his success in Denver, quarterbacks will be measured against him.

"I kind of feel bad because I'm brought into it all the time," Elway said. "Because of the bar that has been set here and the expectations the fans have, that's tough."

Broncos Mtnman
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Elway becomes Plummer fan - Denver Post - Patrick Saunders

Thursday, August 14, 2003 - The Broncos' favorite son returned to training camp Wednesday for the first time since his retirement more than four years ago. John Elway liked what he saw, especially from Jake Plummer, the team's new quarterback.

GEM
08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Broncos.elway.denver.2.1144174.html

Even though Orton has thrown four interceptions in two preseason games, Elway says it's just preseason and fans shouldn't panic.

"Preseason is preseason and the thing is you look at all the rookie quarterbacks, they all have great preseasons; I had a great preseason," Elway said. "Once the regular season starts, that's when things really happen."

Elway says preseason football is always a big adjustment, but the Broncos made strides in the second preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks.

"They can make more strides this week and be ready for the regular season, but it's still kind of an unknown to see how they are going to react with all the different changes which are always tough to get everybody on the same page," Elway said.

After demanding a trade in the offseason, former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler will be coming to Denver with the Chicago Bears to play the Broncos in their third preseason game. It's a similar situation when Elway went to Baltimore as a Bronco after refusing to play for the Colts in his rookie year. Fearing they would get nothing for his rights, the Colts traded Elway to the Broncos.

"It was probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had; going back into Baltimore. But I think the difference is they are coming back here in a preseason game whereas we went back there the second game of the regular season," Elway said. "Plus I think that Broncos fans probably have a little bit more class than the Colts fans did."

The Broncos take on the Chicago Bears at Invesco Field at Mile High on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Alright...at any point does anyone high 5 this article and then bring up the comment on they're a 6, CHI is a 9 is blazing hypocrites. I now have to forever shut my mouth on this because the I smiled at the bolded portion of the article as I read it. :lol:

claymore
08-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Maybe some of you guys can quit blowing sunshine up each others asses and wait to see if he can perform durring a real game.

Northman
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe some of you guys can quit blowing sunshine up each others asses and wait to see if he can perform durring a real game.

Sunshine............on my shoulder................makes me happy.......... :laugh:

CoachChaz
08-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Share that with the cronies that are busy with something else up the last quarterbacks ass

claymore
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Share that with the cronies that are busy with something else up the last quarterbacks ass

Who McDaniels? He's the only one that stuck anything up Cutlers ass.,

Requiem / The Dagda
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, which explains your disdain for McDaniels. You are just jealous Claymore.

spikerman
08-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Yes, but most of those Baltimore Colts fans are now Baltimore Ravens fans so the insult still hit a large group of the same people.

FanInAZ
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Elway will defend any QB that puts on a Broncos uniform because he remembers what it was like to be unfairly criticized before you have a chance to learn the ropes. He was thrown under the bus as a rookie by many of the fans and football "experts". He was even written off by Terry "half of his teammate are in the HOF" Bradshaw for not being able to win SBs back when he had no supporting cast on offense. He will never do to other QBs what others did to him.

Dr Velcro
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Bobby Irsay was not the same owner as Jim.

Like night/ day.

I don't blame Elway for not going there back in the day.

I don't think he would have turned them down in modern day.

Chris90210
08-31-2009, 04:55 PM

moreno is torain part 2

G_Money
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
:lol:

I guess it's possible. At least you're calling your shot early.

Remember to put that quote in your sig when Moreno is using our ZBS and his talent to go all Adrian Peterson on the league.

~G

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I thought we weren't continuing the zbs