PDA

View Full Version : Broncos seeking to replace Elvis Dumervil as NFL free agency opens

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
A pass-rushing defensive end has transferred from not on the Broncos' offseason wish list to the very top as NFL free agency prepares to open at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

With Elvis Dumervil declining to take a proposed pay cut from $12 million, the Broncos will quickly seek to replace him.

It won't be easy. Dwight Freeney is among the candidates, perhaps in no small part because he is a former teammate of Peyton Manning from their nine playing seasons together (2002-10) in Indianapolis.

During that nine-year span, Freeney made six Pro Bowls to Manning's nine.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22772378/broncos-seeking-replace-elvis-dumervil-nfl-free-agency

Mike
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/bubba_thudd/tumblr_ld1ecr84pW1qb7s29_zps56c17597.gif

broncosfannum24
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
If your a millionaire athlete ,and decline to taking a pay cut for a Superbowl contending team, it comes off as greedy, and almost a selfish player to the public. He probably doesn't want a pay cut cause he's not managing his funds right. Lol

Lancane
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Sorry Carol, I can not high five you this time, because this IMHO is udder craptastic management by the front office, especially when all signs are pointing to Freeney being the replacement. I would sing a different tune if we were talking a productive, younger pass rusher.

GEM
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Shoot me in the ******* head if we get Freeney.

NightTerror218
03-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Broncos should release him after FA opens and other DE get big contracts and he cant.

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 12:16 PM
This is such a ridiculously sensationalist title for the article. Saw the same thing posted on twitter from the post a few minutes ago (meaning, not saying you Carol). Quite literally no developments have been made in the situation since the last 5 articles they posted. They've just decided to tack the same article with a sensationalist title to bring pageviews. Shitty journalism.

broncosfannum24
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
It's easy to say cause these are millionaire's, for playing a sport... When that hits you that your making millions playing a kids game ,then you can see why most of society don't side with the athletes. Not like they wanted to bring him down to the minimum standard, just a decent amount to help out the TEAM, Ben rapistberger didn't have a problem, neither did Carson Palmer and he plays for the raiders lol Bottom line he has premier pass rusher money, when he's hasn't played like one

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry Carol, I can not high five you this time, because this IMHO is udder craptastic management by the front office, especially when all signs are pointing to Freeney being the replacement. I would sing a different tune if we were talking a productive, younger pass rusher.

Is Klis getting it from the Broncos that all signs are pointing to Freeney, or is this Klis' idea? Vic Lombardi has stated that the Broncos will be pursuing free agents, but no one knows for sure who.

NightTerror218
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I hate how this has become the most important thing in FA. Rather then looking for quality depth we have to find replacement for a Pro Bowler. FFS.

Krugan
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
sigh, I was really hoping we could keep pieces and fill in holes, not create new ones.

this team was close last year to being a real threat for a ring, not saying the loss of one dline player will cause an issue, but it sure as hell wont help.

Dapper Dan
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Dang. That sucks. I like Doom :(

Northman
03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
McElway

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Guys... did we even read the article? I understand that it's the start of free agency today, but there's no real evidence presented in this article at all. It's circumstantial at best.

Edit: I mean, really, the article says "broncos are moving on from dumervil and my evidence is because I say so."

Northman
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Guys... did we even read the article? I understand that it's the start of free agency today, but there's no real evidence presented in this article at all. It's circumstantial at best.

Of course, but its fun to meltdown and watch BTB get his panties all up in a bunch.

Buff
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Shoot me in the ******* head if we get Freeney.

Is it possible that maybe you're being a tad dramatic?

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Nah.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
This is such a ridiculously sensationalist title for the article. Saw the same thing posted on twitter from the post a few minutes ago (meaning, not saying you Carol). Quite literally no developments have been made in the situation since the last 5 articles they posted. They've just decided to tack the same article with a sensationalist title to bring pageviews. Shitty journalism.

As free agency starts today - I think the article is very appropriate - because of Dumervil not being willing to work with the Broncos to free up money, they have had to change their strategy in free agency, and first, try to find a replacement for Dumervil, rather than taking the route they had planned on taking.

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
As free agency starts today - I think the article is very appropriate - because of Dumervil not being willing to work with the Broncos to free up money, they have had to change their strategy in free agency, and first, try to find a replacement for Dumervil, rather than taking the route they had planned on taking.

Looks more like a financial standoff to me, waiting for one of the two parties to crack. I don't think I would say, either, that Dumervil is unwilling to work with the team. They submitted a proposal for a restructured contract. As I said, Klis gave no evidence to his claims in this article. This is the closest thing that he provided to any soft of evidence to his title "broncos seeking replacement for dumervil..."

Dumervil, who had 20½ sacks the past two seasons, has asked for his release by 2 p.m. Tuesday, but the Broncos are expected to wait until they have secured his replacement. Besides a pass-rushing defensive end from free agency, the Broncos also are planning to give more playing time to either Robert Ayers, their first-round pick in the 2009 draft, or veteran Jason Hunter, who missed last season with a triceps tear.

The first sentence is missing a vital piece of information. He asked for a cut before 2 pm on tuesday IF THEY'RE GOING TO CUT HIM. That's a pretty big omission. The rest of this junk is just speculation on a Dumervil-less scenario. None of this justifies a title like "Broncos seeking to replace Dumervil."

Again, nothing against you Carol, but this kind of sensationalist journalism really grinds my gears, so to speak.

Northman
03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
There was initial word that Doom and his agent sent an offer to the FO last friday and they were waiting to hear back on that. But, FA starts in 10 minutes so we will know for sure by then im assuming.

dogfish
03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
**** you pat, you greedy old drunk!

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
There was initial word that Doom and his agent sent an offer to the FO last friday and they were waiting to hear back on that. But, FA starts in 10 minutes so we will know for sure by then im assuming.

A release would be ******* vomit inducing to me. I'm still at work. I don't like puking on the job.

BroncoWave
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM

It starts in 2 hours, not 10 minutes. 4PM EST/1PM Pacific.

Northman
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
**** you pat, you greedy old drunk!

TacoJohn? Is that You?

Northman
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
It starts in 2 hours, not 10 minutes. 4PM EST/1PM Pacific.

Thanks. I was looking at my clock thinking it starts at 2pm.

BroncoWave
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I was looking at my clock thinking it starts at 2pm.

It's really making the day crawl by. At least I'm on west coast time so 1 doesn't seem as bad as 4.

CoachChaz
03-12-2013, 01:07 PM
It's really making the day crawl by. At least I'm on west coast time so 1 doesn't seem as bad as 4.

Still...2 more hours seems like 2 more days

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Still...2 more hours seems like 2 more days

I'll be making an hour trip in 2 hours. Can't someone make a thread with all broncos-related free agency moves on the top post so I can check it quickly when I park the car.

Buff
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I'll be making an hour trip in 2 hours. Can't someone make a thread with all broncos-related free agency moves on the top post so I can check it quickly when I park the car.

I would, but I don't really want to.

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I would, but I don't really want to.

Do it, *****.

rationalfan
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM

but very effective SEO.

rationalfan
03-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Is Klis getting it from the Broncos that all signs are pointing to Freeney, or is this Klis' idea? Vic Lombardi has stated that the Broncos will be pursuing free agents, but no one knows for sure who.

i wondered the same thing. makes me, strongly, consider klis has some inside info he can't source, so he's writing it as an opinion piece.

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 01:37 PM
but very effective seo.

hurrrk.

rationalfan
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Looks more like a financial standoff to me, waiting for one of the two parties to crack. I don't think I would say, either, that Dumervil is unwilling to work with the team. They submitted a proposal for a restructured contract. As I said, Klis gave no evidence to his claims in this article. This is the closest thing that he provided to any soft of evidence to his title "broncos seeking replacement for dumervil..."

The first sentence is missing a vital piece of information. He asked for a cut before 2 pm on tuesday IF THEY'RE GOING TO CUT HIM. That's a pretty big omission. The rest of this junk is just speculation on a Dumervil-less scenario. None of this justifies a title like "Broncos seeking to replace Dumervil."

Again, nothing against you Carol, but this kind of sensationalist journalism really grinds my gears, so to speak.

you're not wrong, but you do realize the reason this kind of sensationalistic journalism is (too) common is because people like us click on the articles ALL THE TIME.

Zweems56
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
you're not wrong, but you do realize the reason this kind of sensationalistic journalism is (too) common is because people like us click on the articles ALL THE TIME.

Of course I realize. Sad thing is that the Post has decent articles sometimes, so I can't boycott them.

rationalfan
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Of course I realize. Sad thing is that the Post has decent articles sometimes, so I can't boycott them.

the post does a good job.

i go to sites that i loathe all the time just in the hope that they might have a minor broncos-related tidbit.

that's the internet; so easy to love, so easy to hate.

Lancane
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
the post does a good job.

i go to sites that i loathe all the time just in the hope that they might have a minor broncos-related tidbit.

that's the internet; so easy to love, so easy to hate.

On here it's hate - hate, or Nut tries to hump your leg while your being insulted by Tubby and assailed by Mo. :laugh:

GEM
03-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Look at the genius on this guy.....I just really don't want Freeney.

BroncoNut
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
On here it's hate - hate, or Nut tries to hump your leg while your being insulted by Tubby and assailed by Mo. :laugh:

I try to keep the peace.

Lancane
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I try to keep the peace.

Is that what you call it? ;)

NightTerror218
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

.@RapSheet is reporting that Elvis willing to take a paycut. How much remains to be seen. Freeney is still the back-up plan.