PDA

View Full Version : DJ Finally Released

Zweems56
03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Source: #Broncos have released linebacker D.J. Williams.

Been waiting on that.

DenBronx
03-11-2013, 04:02 PM
How much money do we save even with any cap hits?

Ziggy
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Mays next I assume. That will free up 10 million between the two.

NightTerror218
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
And Haine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Williams-Hanie-to-be-Released/0e4542f4-ff61-4ce8-b12a-45d9f2c94c02

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Did get it confirmed. Cutting DJ saves the Broncos exactly 6-mill in cap space.

Zweems56
03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
How much money do we save even with any cap hits?

6 mil

blamkin86
03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I really, really, deeply hate drunk driving. I hope DJ gets his sh*t together.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

RT @AlexyJoeS: Does this help the Elvis situation any?----not really

Lancane
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Unless Denver can sign a pass rusher for less they'll likely ink the revised deal from Dumervil's camp.

DenBronx
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Didnt think it would. When the Broncos want to make a move they do it. Which is why I am a little nervous about the Elvis situation. Most likely Freeney will be a Bronco.

DenBronx
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
And Haine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Williams-Hanie-to-be-Released/0e4542f4-ff61-4ce8-b12a-45d9f2c94c02

There is zero need for Hanie. Brock is the clear #2 here now.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
The Broncos released veteran linebacker D.J. Williams and No. 3 quarterback Caleb Hanie.

Williams had been a Broncos starter since he was the team's first-round pick in the 2004 draft through the 2011 season. He was suspended through the first nine games of the 2012 season and did not recapture his starting position back from outside lineback Wesley Woodyard.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22766419/d-j-williams-caleb-hanie-cut-by-denver-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM

DMac and Alfred just discussed Hanie being released, and both of them now feel the Broncos will go after a QB either in free agency, or the draft.

NightTerror218
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
DMac and Alfred just discussed Hanie being released, and both of them now feel the Broncos will go after a QB either in free agency, or the draft.

I think they will stick with Adam Weber and move him up from PS.

CoachChaz
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM

I'd say he is the #2 by default, but I must have missed where he proved he was the "clear" #2 with his play on the field

CoachChaz
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Unless Denver can sign a pass rusher for less they'll likely ink the revised deal from Dumervil's camp.

Shouldnt be very hard. Avril, Osi, Freeney, Bennett, etc will all get less than 10 mil

Tned
Broncos press release:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday released linebacker D.J. Williams and quarterback Caleb Hanie, Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway announced.

Williams, who was selected by the Broncos in the first round (17th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft, was tied with cornerback Champ Bailey as the longest-tenured player on the team.

“We appreciate the contributions made by D.J. Williams during his time with the Broncos,” Elway said. “He was a solid player with this team for a number of years, showing a lot of versatility at linebacker. Our organization wishes D.J. all the best going forward.”
In 127 career regular-season games (115 starts), Williams totaled 886 tackles (673 solo), 20.5 sacks (139.5 yds.), two interceptions (10 yds.), 41 passes defensed, 14 forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. He opened five-of-six postseason contests for the Broncos, contributing 40 tackles (23 solo), 0.5 sacks (3.5 avg.) and three passes defensed.

Williams is one of just five NFL players during the last nine seasons to post at least 800 tackles and 20 sacks. He displayed his versatility by starting at the weakside, middle, strongside and inside positions during his tenure in Denver.

Hanie spent the 2012 season with the Broncos as the club’s third quarterback and was a gameday inactive during the regular season and playoffs.
The former Colorado State University standout was signed by Denver as an unrestricted free agent on April 28 following four seasons with the Chicago Bears.

NightTerror218
Shouldnt be very hard. Avril, Osi, Freeney, Bennett, etc will all get less than 10 mil

can they get 10 sacks and 6 FF?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Does anyone think either the Chargers or Raiders will try to sign DJ?

CoachChaz
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
can they get 10 sacks and 6 FF?

Well, the forced fumble stat is an anamoly. It's not something you are paying for because it can change drom year to year, But all the guys on that list have proven they can get 10 sacks a year

NightTerror218

Both will prob be all over him. Raiders need help and chargers just ditched Spikes

NightTerror218
Well, the forced fumble stat is an anamoly. It's not something you are paying for because it can change drom year to year, But all the guys on that list have proven they can get 10 sacks a year

Freeney....use to .

Lancane

Will the production be there though? Freeney is nearly washed up, Osi comes with a few question marks and neither wants to play in Denver according to their camps. Avril and Bennett would be interesting, but will Denver go that route?

Just a lot of questions and it could backfire on the front office.

BeefStew25
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

There is no 'try' Carol. There is only 'do'.

BeefStew25
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
FYI Weber is on the Bucs practice squad, a source earlier told BroncosForums.com.

CoachChaz
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Freeney....use to .

Wouldnt be my forst choice, but there are benefits to any player that plays on the opposite side of Miller

CoachChaz
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Will the production be there though? Freeney is nearly washed up, Osi comes with a few question marks and neither wants to play in Denver according to their camps. Avril and Bennett would be interesting, but will Denver go that route?

Just a lot of questions and it could backfire on the front office.

Which is why I would expect Elway to have something in place before getting rid of Elvis. I'm not advocating this move...just stating that it isnt the end of the world that people make it out to be if it happens

Lancane
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd say he is the #2 by default, but I must have missed where he proved he was the "clear" #2 with his play on the field

Must not have been watching, from what I saw he is clearly the number two!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones

DJ Williams: "I just want to let the whole Denver family know that I’ll always be a Bronco. I enjoyed my time there."

Magnificent Seven
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Looks like he might head to Washington Redskins. He can be reunited with Coach Shanahan.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
And the peasants rejoiced...

chazoe60
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I never hated DJ the way some did. He made some mistakes, some really dumb mistakes even, but they're the same mistakes quite a few of my own friends have made. I wish him luck. Hope he doesn't go to a division rival.

Northman
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Bout time.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
from article:

Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams was one of the obvious choices for Around the League's AFC veterans on the roster bubble. On the wrong side of 30 and scheduled to make $6 million, Williams had no chance of staying in Denver after a pair of suspensions in 2012.

A source tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport that the Broncos released Williams on Monday. Personnel czar John Elway was reportedly shopping Williams; it's no surprise that he came up empty.

Now that he's free to sign elsewhere, Williams could find interest from former coaches Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, and Mike Nolan with the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons, respectively. If he wants to return to his West Coast roots, he would also make for a low-cost veteran addition on an Oakland Raiders team trying to spend more intelligently this offseason.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149428/article/dj-williams-released-by-denver-broncos

gregbroncs
03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
from article:

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149428/article/dj-williams-released-by-denver-broncosHaha. The Raiders trying to do something intelligently?

atwater27
03-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I liked him as a Bronco. Hope he does well elsewhere.

Magnificent Seven
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
It looks like SLB Von Miller, and WLB Wesley Woodyard will be starters for season '13. Moreover, Danny Trevathan, Keith Brooking, Steven Johnson, Joe Mays, and Nate Irving will have a huge battle for # 1 spot.

G_Money
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM
And the peasants rejoiced...

:elefant:

G_Money
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
It looks like SLB Von Miller, and WLB Wesley Woodyard will be starters for season '13. Moreover, a slim weak-side backer, an 84 year old veteran, a special teams player, and overpaid special teams player, and a guy who likes to hurt himself playing special teams will have a huge battle for # 1 spot.

FIFY. :tsk:

Find me a MLB, Elway, jeez.

~G

MOtorboat
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
FIFY. :tsk:

Find me a MLB, Elway, jeez.

~G

Williams could have easily been a good middle linebacker and the team could address other issues. Instead, he's cut, and Denver is actually talking about going with Nate Irving at MLB.

:sigh:

Maybe Elway is the mad scientist, going all Ozzie Newsome on the Broncos roster, but these moves just worry me.

Let's say Denver brings in Urlacher, as was rumord earlier at the age of 75, over Williams and both would've cost Denver $6 million this year. What's the point? Williams is faster and at this point in his career is going to make a better impact, but Urlacher is a "good guy" and has name recognition? That's a terrible decision, IMO.

Likewise, we let a sack guy go in the middle of his prime to sign one of (hopefully) a trio of grandpas?

Here's the kicker. Denver doesn't need the money this year. They might need it next year or the year after to sign Clady, Miller and Thomas. But they don't need it this year. These are pointless releases because of that. Keep this team intact this year, because you DO have the cap space and then make the cap space decisions next year when it's much more critical to the future of the team.

Lancane
03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Funny thing IMHO is that all teams have to spend what 99.0% of the cap I believe or they are penalized by the league - does Elway and Bowlen not know this?

Simple Jaded
03-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Brad Jones.......

Poet
03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Funny thing IMHO is that all teams have to spend what 99.0% of the cap I believe or they are penalized by the league - does Elway and Bowlen not know this?

There are some tricks with that number. You can announce that you're reserving money from one year to the next with certain stipulations. At least that is what I have hard. Sorry to not be more of a help.

NightTerror218
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Mays is still around........

TXBRONC
03-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Didnt think it would. When the Broncos want to make a move they do it. Which is why I am a little nervous about the Elvis situation. Most likely Freeney will be a Bronco.

Freeney at best would give us half the production we've gotten from Dumervil.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2013, 10:28 AM

He proved he was the clear number two when he was listed as the #2 and when we had the #2 come into the game, it was Os.

The coaches don't need to see "proof" on the field...... only the fans do.

tubby
03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I think they will stick with Adam Weber and move him up from PS.

Good idea except he's a Tampa Bay Buccaneer. :der: :fart:

Ravage!!!
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Good idea except he's a Tampa Bay Buccaneer. :der: :fart:

Hah.. from what I'm reading, so will Revis soon

tubby
03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
If Nate Irving cuts his corn rows, the sky's the limit!

Lancane
03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
If Nate Irving cuts his corn rows, the sky's the limit!

No...we need him to look like the Predator, that way others remain scared of him! :lol:

G_Money
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Williams could have easily been a good middle linebacker and the team could address other issues. Instead, he's cut, and Denver is actually talking about going with Nate Irving at MLB.

Look, I don't think Irving is any kind of useful as a MLB, which is a shame since I liked him coming out of college (but not as a Mike). DJ was making a ton of money, though, and he's not a good MLB. He's an okay one, but not for the money, and maybe REALLY not for the headaches he's brought on the org (and might continue to bring). So now we'll see what the plan is.

My guess is we draft one. What's gonna be weird is if we keep Mays (he and his 4 mil/yr contract haven't been cut yet, right?) over DJ as a MLB option. Neither's good at the position, but DJ is better. Maybe not X-millions-of-dollars better, but that's why I'm very curious to see what we do next. Can't be starting Johnson or Irving at MLB and call the need seriously addressed.

Brooking in a wheelchair and a rookie-in-training? We'll see.

~G

MOtorboat
03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Look, I don't think Irving is any kind of useful as a MLB, which is a shame since I liked him coming out of college (but not as a Mike). DJ was making a ton of money, though, and he's not a good MLB. He's an okay one, but not for the money, and maybe REALLY not for the headaches he's brought on the org (and might continue to bring). So now we'll see what the plan is.

My guess is we draft one. What's gonna be weird is if we keep Mays (he and his 4 mil/yr contract haven't been cut yet, right?) over DJ as a MLB option. Neither's good at the position, but DJ is better. Maybe not X-millions-of-dollars better, but that's why I'm very curious to see what we do next. Can't be starting Johnson or Irving at MLB and call the need seriously addressed.

Brooking in a wheelchair and a rookie-in-training? We'll see.

~G

I will withdraw my questioning of the move if Stewart Bradley is signed.

WARHORSE
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Seems to be crickets on the DJ Williams news front these days.........