PDA

View Full Version : Broncos acquire another Patriots: Tackle Hochstein for a late 2010 pick.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
According to Schefter's Twitter: (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/statuses/3538222597)

Denver and New England at it again. This time the Broncos acquire offensive tackle Russ Hochstein from the Patriots for late-round 2010 pick.

Why?

nbenallo33
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
depth is always good.. we are gonna be connected to the pats for a while just like kubiak was with shanny getting all of our old players

underrated29
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
probably because the third string or whoever it was out there when Brandstater came in to play sucked balls. Poor QB had less then 1 second before he was killed. Still, why trade for a backup you are going to cut?

Oh well.

broncofaninfla
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Seems like we could have waited for the waiver wire. With that being said, 3rd string LT Bryant has been HORRIBLE in the 2 preseason games to date. Oldenburg hasn't been much better.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
So if we lose a 7th rounder in the process...big deal. Garbage for garbage

nbenallo33
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
im sure there was money involved too or something

D1g1tal j1m
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
He has versatility, played C, OG, TE, T & FB for NE. So for a low round pick next year we get a guy who has played in Josh's system and can play multiple positions, plus is a solid ST guy.

claymore
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
So if we lose a 7th rounder in the process...big deal. Garbage for garbage

Hillis was a 7th rounder.

Grover
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't follow any other team like I do the Broncos, so I can't say I recall this guy playing.

But our tackles fall off very deeply in talent after our first string guys in Clady and Harris. Gorin has some experience with the Rams and started a number of games in his seven years in the league. But our other guys have just a handful of snaps between all of them.

Hochstein started ten games over the past two years in New England. If McDaniels traded for him, I'd say he has a better than fair chance of making the 53 man roster over Bryant, Polumbus or Oldenburg.

Tned
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM

woooooo piiiiigggg sooieeeeee

Tempus Fugit
08-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't follow any other team like I do the Broncos, so I can't say I recall this guy playing.

But our tackles fall off very deeply in talent after our first string guys in Clady and Harris. Gorin has some experience with the Rams and started a number of games in his seven years in the league. But our other guys have just a handful of snaps between all of them.

Hochstein started ten games over the past two years in New England. If McDaniels traded for him, I'd say he has a better than fair chance of making the 53 man roster over Bryant, Polumbus or Oldenburg.

I'd expect Hochstein to make the roster, but I wouldn't expect him to be working as a tackle. He's versatile as an interior lineman more than a guy who can get it done at all five spots.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm not going to bet on getting lucky like that on a regular basis

dogfish
08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
holy shit, this is getting to be just as amusing as shanny and the browncos. . . . :lol:

i don't necessarily mind giving up a seventh for an experienced backup, but realistically hochstein is better suited inside-- i don't think he really has the athleticism to start and play well at tackle. . . .

IMO, ryan harris should be the backup left tackle-- his skillset is suited for the position, he got extensive experience there in college, and he's a proven NFL OT who's shown excellent pass pro ability. . .

and i really prefer kuper sliding out to right tackle if we need to replace harris, either due to injury or due to using him on the left side. . . i know kupes hasn't played there since college, but i think he has better overall ability than hochstein. . . i like clady/harris - hamilton - weigmann - lichtensteiger/olsen - kuper better than some combination that has russ hochstein protecting our QB. . . .

oh well. . . i'm assuming this is mostly a depth move. . . .

Tned
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
holy shit, this is getting to be just as amusing as shanny and the browncos. . . . :lol:

i don't necessarily mind giving up a seventh for an experienced backup, but realistically hochstein is better suited inside-- i don't think he really has the athleticism to start and play well at tackle. . . .

IMO, ryan harris should be the backup left tackle-- his skillset is suited for the position, he got extensive experience there in college, and he's a proven NFL OT who's showed excellent pass pro ability. . .

and i really prefer kuper sliding out to right tackle if we need to replace harris, either due to injury or due to using him on the left side. . . i know kupes hasn't played there since college, but i think he has better overall ability than hochstein. . . i like clady/harris - hamilton - weigmann - lichtensteiger/olsen - kuper better than some combination that has russ hochstein protecting our QB. . . .

Harris was drafted to play LT, and likely could fill in and play the spot well. It would be a drop off from Clady, but so would everyone else on our roster.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM

IMO, ryan harris should be the backup left tackle-- his skillset is suited for the position, he got extensive experience there in college, and he's a proven NFL OT who's showed excellent pass pro ability. . .

Except the odds of Patriot players having talent are alot better

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Ryan Harris is the man.

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll bet it was because Bryant sucked donkey nads in sea he was BAD.. really bad at OLT..l

Superchop 7
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
We need a tackle.

WRONG SIDE OF THE BALL JOSH !!!

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
We need a tackle.

And who do you propose that he get?

Simple Jaded
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
This time next year we'll be talking about what a selfish "Me-first" player Ryan Clady/Harris is and how the Broncos are better off with Ross Hochstein.......

dogfish
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
This time next year we'll be talking about what a selfish "Me-first" player Ryan Clady/Harris is and how the Broncos are better off with Ross Hochstein.......

you shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Elevation inc
08-26-2009, 03:41 AM
you asky why???? i think its because outside of our starting 5 OL we have a swing tackle in polumbus, and back-up OL korey licht and seth olsen who are solid but need work and the rest of our depth sucks complete and utter ass.....

are top 3 back-ups are second year players who are nice but have tons of room for improvement

now polumbus, olsen, and licht have to amp it up a bit more....works for me and hochstein is actually a very solid versatile lineman who knows alot about the guard pulling aspects we are trying to implement in our run game.....as well as denvers new offensive system...

Elevation inc
08-26-2009, 03:48 AM
We need a tackle.

lol this is funny, there arent any quality Nt's we can get right now and there are few DT's even worth a damn out there much less that can play De in teh 3-4 right off the bat....

we dont need a DT we need a NT and those arent around right now.....in fact BJ raji seems to have been the only legit guy in FA and the draft and sadly for us we didnt have the 9th pick....

we need anotehr OL guy becasue our depth sucks and our top 3 back-ups are second year players with plenty of room to improve. Hochstein is a legit vet back-up presence who is actually very familiar with the blocking schemes and thus has beneficial knowledge for the guard pulling aspects we are trying to add to our ZBS schemes....and also has quality starting and playoff experience something our OL doesnt have much of...he is in no way a starter over what we have but if lets say hamilton or kuper go down i feel a bit better knowing we have a vet back there with talent and knowledege against starting defenses in case our rookie seth olsen or korey licht dont do as well agaisnt first team defenses.....

look outside the box.....and the move was justifiable

CoachChaz
08-26-2009, 07:06 AM

Every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing ever here...someone does even better. Congrats, Link!!!

Mike
08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Rar, Rar...rabble, rabble

:protest:

sneakers
08-27-2009, 05:21 AM

Shannon Sharpe

silkamilkamonico
08-27-2009, 09:12 AM

With all the crying and legal problems Clady and Harris have been getting into the last couple years, we should be concerned about.......oh wait.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-27-2009, 05:03 PM
He's another ex-Patriot who "knows the system". Face it, McD is trying to make us "Patriots West". It's no surprise. Kubiak tried to make the Texans "Denver South" his first year picking up all of our FA trash. Dayne, Putzier, Nick Ferguson, etc.

If we look at it, and all of McD's wishes had come true (the original Cutler trade) we'd have Cassel, Jordan, Paxton, Gaffney, Hochstein, Smith... anyone else I missed?

Tell me he's not going to the same well over and over. The Pats are his security blanket. The problem is that without a QB like Brady, it doesn't matter who we bring in, we won't be "Patriots West" like he wants.

Ravage!!!
08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm SHOCKED!! another patriot....

Wait a minute..... if this was Shanahn, wouldn't we be calling this team the Denver Brotriots by now?

Ravage!!!
08-27-2009, 05:09 PM
He's another ex-Patriot who "knows the system". Face it, McD is trying to make us "Patriots West". It's no surprise. Kubiak tried to make the Texans "Denver South" his first year picking up all of our FA trash. Dayne, Putzier, Nick Ferguson, etc.

If we look at it, and all of McD's wishes had come true (the original Cutler trade) we'd have Cassel, Jordan, Paxton, Gaffney, Hochstein, Smith... anyone else I missed?

Tell me he's not going to the same well over and over. The Pats are his security blanket. The problem is that without a QB like Brady, it doesn't matter who we bring in, we won't be "Patriots West" like he wants.

No no no! he just answered the phone, he did not try to bring in a patriot!!

/sarcasm

Lonestar
08-27-2009, 05:17 PM

and what did mike do when he came to town he changed the offense from two runs and give it to John to bail my ass out..

DID anyone think that whoever came in would keep mikes fail system.. by failed I mean lack of quality RB or not recognizing them until they went through 6 others (HILLIS) or light assed OLINE.. or keeping the coaching staff in place..

it was Obvious to me the Pat wanted a rebuild because the contract for life was not making it happen with out a slew of HOF players

mike walked in to a bunch of HOF players on the team already John, ZIM, Sharpe, Atwater, Rod, IIRC Nalen. he brought in Gibbs and wallah the ZBS system was installed..

sorry but newbies are hired to fix the problem.. and so far I for one like the chainsaw attack on D, ST and to a degree on O..

Simple Jaded
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing ever here...someone does even better. Congrats, Link!!!

That's just the tip of the iceberg, there Coach, ya see, I'm a product of my environment so my capacity for "dumbest thing ever" is virtually limitless.

Thank you very little.

But just for shits and grins, say the new running game, something that Josh McDaniels calls his "baby", say the new running game continues to struggle clear through this season, and on top of that, say the sack totals go up for one reason or another, who do you think is going to take the blame if the offense takes a major step back as a result? It sure as hell isn't going to be Josh McDaniels, he's been accountable for exactly nothing since he's been here, since Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall will no longer be in any position to take all the blame, chances are the offensive lineman and their position coach would be blamed/branded for "not fitting McDaniels system" and as a result, their time in Denver would be fleeting.

So considering how this team has turned into a freaking punchline since McDaniels has taken over, anything that can go wrong has gone wrong and from here on out anything is possible, I would think that Broncos fans might want to give any and all possibilities a second or third or tenth thought before they wipe their ass with them.

You may think this is the dumbest thing ever, but I think any player that Josh McDaniels didn't bring in is living on borrowed time, that includes players like Harris, Clady and Champ Bailey. Because as we all know, when it comes to the new regime, it's not about the talent in the players, it's about the genius of Josh McDaniels and his system, he'd just as soon get it done with Russ Hochstein as Ryan Clady.......