PDA

View Full Version : Little to be Considered for Hall of Fame

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
And its about damn time.

Broncos Ring of Fame member, running back Floyd Little, was one of two seniors committee nominees selected to be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2010.

Little and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau were the two selected and will now be voted on by the full Hall of Fame Board of selectors February in Miami.

Little was the first No. 1 pick signed by the Broncos and finished his career with 6,323 yards rushing. He led the
Broncos in rushing in seven consecutive seasons and led the NFL in rushing in 1971.

topscribe
08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Got my fingers crossed for Floyd. If anybody ever deserved it, he does. He
almost single-handedly saved an entire franchise . . .

-----

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I like to think that all Stud's work on this helped. Here's to hoping Little finally gets the honor he deserves.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
This is GREAT to hear. Congratulations to studbucket and others on MHR for starting a campaign to have Bronco fans send letters to the 9 writers who vote on the two senior selections. For those who missed it, here is studbucket's thread http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45171

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
He deserves as much as anyone.

Poet
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
He should get in.

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Bring on phase two!

studbucket
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
HOLY CRAP WE DID IT.....

Wow...this better be true, that would be a horrible prank Thnikka :)

studbucket
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks to everyone who sent a letter!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
HOLY CRAP WE DID IT.....

Definitely true - denver post is reporting it also:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/25/little-to-be-considered-for-hall-of-fame/

Broncos Ring of Fame member, running back Floyd Little, was one of two seniors committee nominees selected to be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2010.

Little and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau were the two selected and will now be voted on by the full Hall of Fame Board of Selectors February in Miami.

Little was the first No. 1 pick signed by the Broncos and finished his career with 6,323 yards rushing. He led the
Broncos in rushing in seven consecutive seasons and led the NFL in rushing in 1

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
HOLY CRAP WE DID IT.....

Wow! You guys are all to be commended. Hopefully now, the full panel of voters takes the cue as well.

That is really some tremendous news for Broncos fans, and Mr. Little.

Poet
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Get Atwater in, please. He's my favorite safety of all-time.

studbucket
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Get Atwater in, please. He's my favorite safety of all-time.

For sure...patience :) As we've mentioned in the other thread, it's 1 Seniors and 1 regular candidate at a time. We've got to get Shannon in first :)

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
HOLY CRAP WE DID IT.....

Have you known me to play pranks about this?

----------------
Now playing: 9th Wonder Presents Tyler Woods – Slow Jams/Relations (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/9th+wonder+presents+tyler+woods/track/slow+jams+relations)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

studbucket
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Have you known me to play pranks about this?

Nope, I just couldn't find a link to verify :D And I was paranoid.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
He should get in.

Of course, I feel the same way, but we know that the east coast bias is still alive and well, and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau equals east coast team, and could equal, once again, east coast bias.

Stud - what is the next step for fans - i.e. should letters once again be sent, now to the voting members, or is it all in their hands now? If fans can send letters, we need the voting members names and email addresses.

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Of course, I feel the same way, but we know that the east coast bias is still alive and well, and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau equals east coast team, and could equal, once again, east coast bias.

Stud - what is the next step for fans - i.e. should letters once again be sent, now to the voting members, or is it all in their hands now? If fans can send letters, we need the voting members names and email addresses.

I would even write a bot to spam them. :D

----------------
Now playing: Dutchmassive (THEHobbyshopHERO) - Feat. THE NONCE – "5AM FLIGHT" (feat. SACH of THE NONCE) - produced by DUTCHMASSIVE (THE HOBBYSHOP HERO) (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/dutchmassive/track/dutchmassive++-+feat.+the+nonce+%e2%80%93+5am+flight++-+produced)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

broncofaninfla
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I watch "The Express" last night for the first time. Great movie, loved how Floyd Little tied into this movie as well. Little, Gradishar, Atwater, and Sharpe all deserve to be in the HOF.

studbucket
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Well, for now I think fans should lay low. We've got ~5 months before Floyd is voted on, and we want to determine how much (or little) support we'll give Shannon Sharpe as we focus on Floyd. We'll definitely start ramping up our emails, having them sent out to all 44 candidates now.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what the plan is from here on out.

Actually, what everyone can do is send a thank you email to anyone you emailed about this. I think that would be a good thing to do.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, for now I think fans should lay low. We've got ~5 months before Floyd is voted on, and we want to determine how much (or little) support we'll give Shannon Sharpe as we focus on Floyd. We'll definitely start ramping up our emails, having them sent out to all 44 candidates now.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what the plan is from here on out.

Actually, what everyone can do is send a thank you email to anyone you emailed about this. I think that would be a good thing to do.

Would it not be better that we lay low until it gets closer to February, as if we start flooding them with letters on Floyd's behalf now, by the time February rolls around, our letters might be long forgotten.

Also, I just sent the following email to contact us (whoever that might be) on Denver Broncos.com, as I think every Bronco site should post something on how the fans can help to get Floyd into the HOF.

My email:

It was just announced that Floyd Little is one of the two senior candidates for the 2010 HOF. Mile High Report had a major campaign going for fans to send letters to the 9 members who vote on who the two senior candidates will be. If fans can participate in sending letters to those who now vote on the finalists, I would like to see a story on this on the Broncos website, with information as to who, and by what means, letters should be sent by fans on behalf of Floyd.

Thanks,

Carol

studbucket
08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Would it not be better that we lay low until it gets closer to February, as if we start flooding them with letters on Floyd's behalf now, by the time February rolls around, our letters might be long forgotten.

Also, I just sent the following email to contact us (whoever that might be) on Denver Broncos.com, as I think every Bronco site should post something on how the fans can help to get Floyd into the HOF.[/Floyd]

Yep, we'll probably wait at least until the 25 regular candidates get announced, if not later.

[QUOTE=Denver Native (Carol);722579]
My email:

It was just announced that Floyd Little is one of the two senior candidates for the 2010 HOF. Mile High Report had a major campaign going for fans to send letters to the 9 members who vote on who the two senior candidates will be. If fans can participate in sending letters to those who now vote on the finalists, I would like to see a story on this on the Broncos website, with information as to who, and by what means, letters should be sent by fans on behalf of Floyd.

Thanks,

Carol

Cool, it would be great to widen the fan audience even more!

titan
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe the letter writing/email campaign worked!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/25/little-to-be-considered-for-hall-of-fame/

Little a Seniors finalist for Hall of Fame
by Jeff Legwold on August 25, 2009

Little and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau were the two selected and will now be voted on by the full Hall of Fame Board of Selectors February in Miami.

Broncos in rushing in seven consecutive seasons and led the NFL in rushing in 1971.

titan
08-25-2009, 01:12 PM
whoops - didn't see the other thread. go ahead and delete or merge this, mods. I was just so excited to hear the news I had to post it!

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
You can delete your own thread actually. Edit your first post. :2thumbs:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9260

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Soon, "The Franchise" could be "The Hall of Famer."

Floyd Little, one of the four original Broncos Ring of Fame inductees, was announced as a senior nominee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010.

The Senior Committee made its two recommendations, Little and Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, on Tuesday. Both men are automatically among the finalists for next year's class of Hall of Famers.

"I'm telling you, I'm elated," Little said. "It's just unbelievable. I don't know what to say. There have been so many Broncos fans who have been so supportive and have signed petitions and have really been wanting this to happen. I cant thank the Broncos organization and their fans any more."

From here, the Board of Selectors will narrow down the number of nominees to 25 in November. In early January the list will be trimmed to 15 modern-day finalists, along with Little and LeBeau.

Both senior nominees are voted on separately -- they still have to get the mandatory 80 percent vote to enter the Hall -- and the largest possible number of inductees is seven, including the senior nominees. The fewest is four.

"We've got another hump to go over, but in the mean time we're gonna celebrate between now and Super Bowl week!" Little said, hardly containing his excitement.

A first-round pick in 1967 from Syracuse University, Little finished his Broncos career ranked No. 1 on the franchise's all-time list for rushing attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. He played in the Pro Bowl in 1970, 1971 and 1973, and partipcated in the AFL All-Star Game in 1968 and '69.

He led the team in rushing for seven consecutive seasons from 1967-73 -- the longest such streak in club history -- also leading the NFL in rushing in 1971. During his career, the only running back to total more rushing yards than Little was Hall of Famer O.J. Simpson.

"When I think about being drafted, I was supposed to go to the Jets, so when Denver drafted me I was thinking, "Where the hell is Denver?" Little laughed. "But it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, being drafted by the Denver Broncos and playing my whole career there."

Little spoke about all the Broncos who played with him and after him who belong in the Hall of Fame. He mentioned everyone from Karl Mecklenburg, Randy Gradishar and Tom Jackson to Louis Wright, Billy Thompson and Steve Atwater. He said he feels both Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis belong in Canton, and he called President and CEO Pat Bowlen "a Hall-of-Fame owner."

"Denver has a history of great players, great athletes, who gave a lot to the game, and somewhere along the line they have to be recognized," he said.

For now, Little is the first in that line to get recognized. The man who wore No. 44 -- one of three retired numbers in Broncos history -- has a chance to be the next player to be enshrined in orange and blue.

"I'm just so happy," he said. "My wife and I are going to celebrate big time. I don't drink at all, but I might have to have a Coors."

To check out a list entitled "44 Reasons to Elect Floyd Little to the Pro Football Hall of Fame," click here. (on link)

girler
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
:worship: You go, people!!! :beer: Let the HOF hear us ROAR!!!! :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Scott & Al talk with Denver Bronco great Floyd Little on possibly getting in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame!

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1132991

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Alfred Williams just said he found the stats, and that right now, Floyd is 66th on the list of rushers. Consider this - he is still 66th, and how many running backs have there been since Floyd for him to still be 66th.

studbucket
08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
This 44 reasons for #44 article is amazing...only resource we'll ever need :)

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/44-reasons-to-elect-no-44/

20 - Little retired as only 1 of 7 NFL players to total more than 100 yards per game (104), more than Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen, Leroy Kelly and Lenny Moore (to name just a few).

21 - Little’s versatility was evident from the get-go - leading the league in Combined Yards 2 years in a row - in 1967 (as a rookie) and again in 1968

22 - Little led the AFL/NFL in punt returns as a rookie in 1967 with a 16.9 average

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 05:57 PM
This 44 reasons for #44 article is amazing...only resource we'll ever need :)

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/44-reasons-to-elect-no-44/

I hope the voters see the merits of why Floyd Little belongs in the Hall of Fame.

studbucket
08-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Just an update, Dave Goldberg (who wrote a great article recently and helped get Floyd the nomination) wants me/us to hold our horses:

Dave Goldberg: Please!!! We voted for Little on merit _ Broncos stunk when he played there. Too much pressure could hurt him later.

Me: Definitely a concern. It was hard to contain excitement this AM. Wasn't sure if he would be chosen. Thanks again! :)

Dave Goldberg: Tell ur friends. A lot of us, including me, respond negatively to organized campaigns. He's 70 % chance. Don't ruin it.

Me: Consider it done. Thanks for the advice. Our enthusiasm and biases often get the best of us.

This doesn't change the committee's goals or purpose, but we may change up our actions to give Floyd the greatest chance at succeeding. Just so everyone knows.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Just an update, Dave Goldberg (who wrote a great article recently and helped get Floyd the nomination) wants me/us to hold our horses:

This doesn't change the committee's goals or purpose, but we may change up our actions to give Floyd the greatest chance at succeeding. Just so everyone knows.

I definitely hope Mr. Goldberg is accurate in what he is stating, as we all know that the Bronco players have NEVER been high on any of the HOF voting members minds, except for John Elway, and they would have looked like COMPLETE IDIOTS if they had NOT voted John in, and I DEFINITELY do NOT understand his statement that the Broncos stunk when Floyd was here - EXCUSE ME - they are NOT voting on the Broncos for the HOF, they are voting on Floyd for the HOF.

However, we will hold back and not do anything further until you let us know what the next steps will be.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I know you guys have to play their game so that Little will get voted in but what Goldberg said is irritating. He says the voted on the merit of Little's case but if you guys campaign to hard they might get all pissy and not vote him in.

studbucket
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I know you guys have to play their game so that Little will get voted in but what Goldberg said is irritating. He says the voted on the merit of Little's case but if you guys campaign to hard they might get all pissy and not vote him in.

I think he's worried that the other 35 voters may not respond so well to our pressure, especially if they are down on Floyd or on the edge. They will also talk to each other about the emails they have received, and it may convince them to say "No" to Floyd to show that a campaign is not a guaranteed way to get a candidate in.

We are in some deep discussion now about how to move forward. Dave's comments hit home hard. We are thinking about updating "the masses" on our progress, but having only a handful of people email the voters. Specifically those who have seen Floyd play and maybe those of us on the committee who haven't. These letters would be completely their own and have no templates or anything in them.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out so far...I never would have dreamed he would be a candidate this year. And who knows, maybe we have our eye on some of you from Broncosforums to send out these letters ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/01/serving_on_the_hall_of_fame_se.html

Found the following 2007 article, written by John McClain. Just a few things from his article. One thing he stated:

This is my 15th year on the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee, and it is a privilege to represent the players, coaches and administrators of the Houston Oilers.

My question to the above statement is - do the Broncos have one of the voting members who represent them?????

Another statement:

Would I give it up because of controversy? Never. Do I tire of getting hundreds of e-mails from fans around the world asking and demanding that I vote for their favorite candidates? Of course, but I understand that it's part of the process that goes with the territory.

From that statement, fans send them e-mails?????

Also, Mr. Goldberg said that right now, Floyd is 70% chance. It takes 80% to be voted in. Can we count on the members who fall into the 70% category, to convince enough of the remaining ones to give Floyd the 80% needed?

studbucket
08-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Found the following 2007 article, written by John McClain.

McClain seems to be good guy. One of the few that responded to my questions about Seniors committee.

My question to the above statement is - do the Broncos have one of the voting members who represent them?????

Yes, I believe it is Jeff Legwold. No clue how well he has done in that role...used to be Woody Paige, but he was forced to give it up when he went to NY. Hasn't gotten it back now that he is back in Denver. Hall of Fame page has exactly who it is.

From that statement, fans send them e-mails?????

Yep, they get tons. Which is probably why they don't respond to me, and why they get annoyed by the tons of 'spam' they might get around nomination time.

Also, Mr. Goldberg said that right now, Floyd is 70% chance. It takes 80% to be voted in. Can we count on the members who fall into the 70% category, to convince enough of the remaining ones to give Floyd the 80% needed?

Via twitter, Bernie Miklasz seems to think it's 50/50 (another really good guy who corresponded back and forth with me), but he says he is going to keep an open mind and Nancy Gay thinks Floyd is a toss up. I don't know how much work it's gonna take, but we are gonna have to plan well, and make sure that every voter is contacted in some way.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I think he's worried that the other 35 voters may not respond so well to our pressure, especially if they are down on Floyd or on the edge. They will also talk to each other about the emails they have received, and it may convince them to say "No" to Floyd to show that a campaign is not a guaranteed way to get a candidate in.

We are in some deep discussion now about how to move forward. Dave's comments hit home hard. We are thinking about updating "the masses" on our progress, but having only a handful of people email the voters. Specifically those who have seen Floyd play and maybe those of us on the committee who haven't. These letters would be completely their own and have no templates or anything in them.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out so far...I never would have dreamed he would be a candidate this year. And who knows, maybe we have our eye on some of you from Broncosforums to send out these letters ;)

This was in today's DP.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13200103

Broncos' Little finalist for Hall of Fame
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/25/2009 12:42:59 PM MDT
Updated: 08/25/2009 01:54:25 PM MDT

Even if the bust of Floyd Little is not yet bronzed, it would not be premature to commission a sculpture.

The first Broncos player who was considered a star on a national level, Little took a major step toward election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame today when he was one of two candidates nominated by the seniors committee.

History suggests the nomination means Little is all but ready to call Canton, Ohio, home to his immortality.

"My wife and I just looked at one another and we both saw tears in our eyes," Little said minutes after receiving the news from Joe Horrigan, who heads the Hall of Fame communications department. "We talked about how my son Marc wrote a letter to the Denver Post 25 years ago, explaining my disappointment and to ask, "why?" So after 25 years, it's hard to believe this is happening."

Little and Dick LeBeau, the other senior nominee, are now guaranteed to be one of the 17 finalists brought before a 44-member Board of Selectors on Feb. 6, the eve of Super Bowl 44 _ Little's number that has been retired by the Broncos and Syracuse University.

To understand the election process is to realize Little has virtually no competition other than his own merits for football's ultimate honor. The 15 modern-era finalists will compete for up to five spots for election. There are two other Hall of Fame spots for the two senior nominees. All they need is 80 percent "yea's" for election.

Since 1998, 16 of the 18 senior nominees have received the necessary number of votes for elections.

"Hopefully, the next step is easy and we can all celebrate together in Canton," Little said.

If Little is elected, he would join John Elway as the only Hall of Fame players to have spent their entire careers with the Broncos. Left tackle Gary Zimmerman, who played five of his 12 NFL seasons with the Broncos, was inducted last year.

A case can be made that Little saved the Broncos from extinction by becoming the team's first, No. 1 draft pick to sign with the AFL franchise in 1967. After some horrific early seasons, the Broncos were discussing plans to relocate their franchise to Chicago or Birmingham until they secured the highly touted Little, a three-time All American from Syracuse.

In part because of the excitement surrounding Little, fans voted for an expansion of Mile High Stadium that was pivotal to the Broncos staying in Denver.

For that reason, Little became known as "The Franchise." During his nine-year career, Little became one of the NFL's first multipurpose running backs who excelled not only as a rusher, but as a receiver and returner.

Perhaps, the most impressive of Little's accomplishments is that when he retired following the 1975 season, he was the NFL's seventh all-time leading rusher. The six backs ranked ahead of him _ Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, Joe Perry, Leroy Kelly and John Henry Johnson — were all elected into the Hall of Fame.

It's clear that when nominating this year's senior candidates, the nine-person senior committee wanted to correct the omission of stellar players who mostly played on bad teams.

The Green Bay Packers have 10 players and coach Vince Lombardi from their 1960s dynasty. The Oakland Raiders have 11 players, owner Al Davis and coach John Madden from their dominant run that carried from the late-1960s to mid-1980s. The Kansas City Chiefs, have six players, owner Lamar Hunt and coach Hank Stram from the late-1960s to mid-1970s core.

LeBeau, who played on some bad Detroit Lions teams, and Little were overlooked.

"The teams I played on were challenging," Little said. "I played with some great players, individual players who were very supportive. One of the criteria I didn't really like is that in order to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame you had to have played in the Super Bowl and that's really not fair."

With Little getting through the senior's committee, there's a decent chance the Broncos will have not one, but two players elected into the Hall of Fame in February. Shannon Sharpe, a tight end who made into the round of 10 finalists last year, will be an odds-on favorite for the class of 2010.

"It's about time," Little said. "Denver has some great players who have been overlooked for a long time. Maybe now they'll start letting a lot more people in."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 07:09 PM
From article TX posted:

Since 1998, 16 of the 18 senior nominees have received the necessary number of votes for elections.

This sounds promising. I would imagine the major factor would be the number going in in 2010, and I do not understand why that number is not always the same.

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 07:38 PM
The one thing that I would like to share with voters, something that I wrote when discussing this via IM:

John Elway may be the reason why I became a Broncos fan at 6 years old in 1986, but Floyd Little is the reason there is a Broncos team to be a fan of.

It's that saving grace that means so much to a fan like me who was too young to have had the opportunity and pleasure to see Little when he was still playing.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
The one thing that I would like to share with voters, something that I wrote when discussing this via IM:

John Elway may be the reason why I became a Broncos fan at 6 years old in 1986, but Floyd Little is the reason there is a Broncos team to be a fan of.

It's that saving grace that means so much to a fan like me who was too young to have had the opportunity and pleasure to see Little when he was still playing.

Good post, and John has said many times in regards to his selection to the HOF - "Floyd Little should already have been there before him"

titan
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I saw this tonight:

Since 1994, 18 of the 22 Seniors nominees were inducted into the Hall the following summer.

And I read in this thread that since 1998 16 of 18 have been elected.

In either case it looks like Floyd has an excellent chance.

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 10:09 PM
hate to be a Debbie downer here but if they have to chose between him and Dick L. he does not stand a chance as Dick played in the OLD NFL against mostly east coast teams.. and is now a respected coach in the league..

also IF Sharpe is indeed on the ballot most folks will vote for him but not TWO broncos at the same time..

When Y'all look at where all the votes are on the HOF you will see that about 75% of them are in or near east coast teams.. who rarely if ever saw broncos play.. in Littles case I'd say that almost none of them saw him play..

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Then don't be a downer. It's not a competition between Floyd and Dick, so there's no need to worry. He needs 80% of the vote and he's in. Period.

There are still five more months for you to nay say all you want about how Floyd not getting in. Why not let the honor of even being nominated settle for at least a day?

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Then don't be a downer. It's not a competition between Floyd and Dick, so there's no need to worry. He needs 80% of the vote and he's in. Period.

There are still five more months for you to nay say all you want about how Floyd not getting in. Why not let the honor of even being nominated settle for at least a day?

I just do not see it as much as him and about 6-7 other Broncos deserve to be in there.. If there is only 7 players to be inducted the odds of him and Sharpe are slim and not happening.. same goes for him and Dick.. that would only leave 4 other players to get in if the three of them were to get voted in.. odds are REALLY huge against that..

with that said I hope it works out for him as he certainly deserves it..:salute:

Lonestar
08-26-2009, 12:28 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u3iumTFfCGE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u3iumTFfCGE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TXBRONC
08-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I guess you didn't read Studbucket's post with the tweets from Dave Goldberg who just so happens to be on the senior committee? He told Stud that Little has a 70% of chance getting.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/floyd-little/

August 25th, 2009 - 12:31pm by jim_saccomano

You had to be there back in the day to know how much Floyd Little meant to the Denver Broncos.

You had to see him, watch him, hear him to appreciate his play and his leadership.

He had a lot of things going against him at a young age, not a lot of money, family fighting to make it, and AFTER high school he went to a military school, Bordentown Academy, and he became not a man, but a man among men.

Floyd Little came to the Broncos at the age of 25 and for nine years put it all on the line. He played here for nine years, and NINE times he was voted team captain by his teammates.

Floyd was bowlegged, made for some great shots by NFL Films, but maybe that physical condition came from being the best back in the American Football League while simultaneously carrying a team and a city on his shoulders.

A growing town like Denver can get pretty heavy when you have to carry it for nine years.

His nickname was The Franchise, and it did not do him justice.

With the vote earlier today taking Floyd Little out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Veterans Committee, he is now just one vote away.

At Syracuse he was the first three time consensus All-American in college football since Doak Walker—and does anybody really understand what that means, or hard it was to do?

It means that the only halfback named on every All-American team for three straight years was Floyd Little.

And now, finally, his time is near at hand.

And every Bronco season ticket holder, every fan who watched this team grow and emerge through the 1960’s and 1970’s, is rewarded as well.

You had to see him play.

And you had to know him as a leader and as a man.

A great day for the Denver Broncos franchise, as The Franchise, Floyd Little, carries the city one more time.

studbucket
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Some great stuff in this AP article:

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2009/08/26/sports/doc4a95ef116f72e818262068.txt

Little had given up on Hall of Fame consideration

By ARNIE STAPLETON – 18 hours ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Former Broncos running back Floyd Little says he had given up hope of ever making it on the Pro Football Hall of Fame ballot.

Little told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home in Seattle on Wednesday that after a quarter century of hoping and praying he figured that his final football dream would go unfulfilled.

The hall's senior committee, however, chose the 67-year-old Little, who gained more than 12,000 total yards in the NFL, and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a star defensive back before becoming a coach, as finalists for the Hall on Tuesday.

They will join 15 modern-era candidates on the complete list of finalists for the 2010 class, which will be voted on Feb. 6 at the Super Bowl in Miami. Up to two senior candidates and five modern-era hopefuls can be elected.

"I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I've ever been," Little said.

He said not a month goes by that somebody doesn't approach him to settle a bet: which year did you make it into the Hall?

"And I have to tell them I'm not in the Hall of Fame and I've never even been nominated," Little said.

For that reason, Little said that he decided a few years back not to get his hopes up anymore.

"I was running out of guys who had seen me play," said Little, whose career in Denver spanned the years 1967-75, lean times in the former AFL franchise's history. "The people that had seen me play were starting to fade off and retire.

"All these guys were no longer there, so who's going to talk about Floyd Little? Nobody. I thought I'd just fallen through the cracks never to be seen or heard from again."

When John Elway became the first Bronco enshrined and in his acceptance speech, he said there were many others who played before who deserved the honor, including Little. When Gary Zimmerman went into the Hall last summer he said the same thing.

Little said he was shocked to get the call from Hall vice president Joe Horrigan.

"I knew he wasn't calling to tell me I was passed over again," Little said. "It was thrilling. I haven't slept in two days."

Little was chosen for five Pro Bowls, rushing for 6,323 yards and 43 touchdowns, making 215 receptions for 2,418 yards and nine TDs. When he retired in 1975, Little ranked seventh in career rushing.

He also was one of the league's best kick returners, leading the AFL in punt returns as a rookie in 1967.

Little earned the nickname "Franchise" in Denver because it was his signing that was credited with keeping the team from bolting to another city and helped persuade voters to approve funds for Mile High Stadium, which has been replaced by Invesco Field.

In July, Little closed down his Ford dealership in Seattle after 32 years.

"I've worked for 50 years. Now, it's time to take a moment off to enjoy the family, do some traveling," he said.

He hopes that will include a stop in Canton, Ohio, next summer.

"I'm hopeful that it will happen. I pray that it will happen," Little said, suggesting the stars are aligned for him at last.

"It's the 44th Super Bowl," he said. "An African-American just became our 44th president. I wore No. 44. I just feel it's my time."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

TXBRONC
08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Some great stuff in this AP article:

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2009/08/26/sports/doc4a95ef116f72e818262068.txt

I didn't get to see Floyd play but my dad told me about Floyd and how he was the Denver offense. "Up the middle with Little."