PDA

View Full Version : First Pre-Season Power Rankings

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 10:38 AM
32. Detroit - It easy to expect at least some improvement, but they still have a long way to go.

31. St. Louis - Sorry to say, but Spags hasnt done anything to make me a believer. No WR's, weak line, shaky QB situation and the defense cant stop anything

30. Cleveland - Maybe the QB competition sparks something, but I'm guessing there isnt much improvement here.

29. Kansas City - Maybe they improve a little bit, but for now, I dont see it.

28. Oakland - Just insert your joke here. I just dont see how this team is any better or even on a path to improvement

27. Cincinnati - Another team hard to judge this early, but they just havent done enough to take the leap

26. Seattle - A full season of Hasselbach and an actual NFL receiver will help, but too many changes on defense

25. San Francisco - Singletary is getting them there, but he still lacks a quality QB/WR tandem

24. Tampa Bay - Way too many question marks to really even assess much at this point. Not good

23. Jacksonville - A team of overrated underachievers wont win too many games

22. NY Jets - Sanchez will surprise people and Ryan can work the defense, but a rookie QB will make enough mistakes to lose.

21. Miami - Last year was an aberration. Expect them to come back to reality

20. Houston - Another mediocre season looms

19. Buffalo - Look to be improved on both sides of the ball. Question is, will TO eat Edwards for lunch and can Jauron lead them

18. Denver - The biggest question marks will be how the defense improves and how they handle a brutal schedule. Should be better than expected.

17. Washington - Will Campbell crack under the pressure of knowing one big mistake and he's gone? Could be a time bomb to unsettle the offense.

16. Chicago - Minnesota and Green Bay seem to have improved more. A good QB just wont be enough to get them much further.

15. New Orleans - Defense should be better and it looks like the running game is alive in pre-season.

14. Baltimore - Lack of receivers and changes on defense will cause them to take a step backwards

13. Green Bay - Rodgers will be more confident and the defense is in love with Capers and his 3-4 scheme

12. Arizona - Is the defense better? Can Wells help the running game? Will Warner last a full season? If yes, then it could be a better season

11. Dallas - Losing TO helps more than it hurts, but until Romo develops a passion for winning, it will be more of the same

10. Carolina - They'll ride a good defense and a running game to a good season, but the end is near for their window

9. Tennessee - See: Baltimore

8. San Diego - They have an easy schedule, a weak conference and tons of talent. it's all up to them.

7. Indianapolis - Manning and Co. will produce as usual.

6. NY Giants - The offense could be in trouble if a receiver doesnt step up, but the running game and defense will keep them in games

5. Atlanta - The additions can only make them a better team, but can they handle the schedule?

4. New England - Brady is back. Enough said

3. Minnesota - Favre adds an element that allows the offense to do ALOT more. Added to a stud defense, they will be scary good.

2. Pittsburgh - Defending champs just know how to do it. A few scares aside, they'll be fighting in the end.

1. Philadelphia - They lost their defensive leaders in Dawkins and Jim Johnson, but they have enough talent on both sides to be better than last year.

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
LOL. You took a lot of heat last year for keeping the Broncos ranked low during the beginning of the season.

I would wager that you will now take a lot of heat for having them ranked too high.

:D

topscribe
08-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmmm . . . looks pretty good to me for the most part, Coach. I'm not sure I see
Philly in the top spot, however. About #6, perhaps?

Looks as if the teams from 14 through 23 may be pretty closely bunched, and
just about any order could be right?--Although I think you did a pretty good job
there.

-----

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Feel free to use the following form to express displeasure.

YOU'RE WRONG, COACH! ___________ (fill in the blank) should be ranked higher/lower (circle one) than _____________ (fill in the blank) because I say so. Your opinion is stupid.

Nice work as usual, darlin'.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I get crap for having Denver too low and they finished poorly. I also got crap for having Philly too high and they were 2 misytakes away from the Super Bowl.

I'll keep Philly ranked high because I dont believe the defense will lose a step and the offense vastly improved.

Denver could change from week to week

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
YOU'RE WRONG, COACH! The Miami Mackers should be ranked the same than the limit of x^2/x as x approaches infinity because I say so. Your opinion is stupid. And your a booger head.

I expected to see the Broncos lower, but I haven't watched all the pre-season games. You are usually spot on, so I have no complaints.

:2thumbs:

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
YOU'RE WRONG, COACH! The Miami Mackers should be ranked the same than the limit of x^2/x as x approaches infinity because I say so. Your opinion is stupid. And your a booger head.

I expected to see the Broncos lower, but I haven't watched all the pre-season games. You are usually spot on, so I have no complaints.

:2thumbs:

I wish i could remember the last time I was called a booger head.

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I wish i could remember the last time I was called a booger head.

I believe it was 10:59 CST.

----------------
Now playing: De La Soul – Rock Co. Kane Flow (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/de+la+soul/track/rock+co.+kane+flow)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I believe it was 10:59 CST.

----------------
Now playing: De La Soul – Rock Co. Kane Flow (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/de+la+soul/track/rock+co.+kane+flow)

I guess that makes sense. Prior to that I'd assume it was 2nd grade.

ursamajor
08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Those are your rankings?

underrated29
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I think cincy and sea will be higher than buffalo. But for now without playing any games those look pretty good.

But i still think the bengals and seabirds surprise teams this year.

also i think ATL and GB should be switched. Call it a hunch, but GB does really really well this year and ATL does not- maybe .500 for them. I dont buy into the matt ryan hype just yet.

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Those are your rankings?

Brilliant.

Yes, those are Coach's rankings. He does them all season.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I think cincy and sea will be higher than buffalo. But for now without playing any games those look pretty good.

But i still think the bengals and seabirds surprise teams this year.

also i think ATL and GB should be switched. Call it a hunch, but GB does really really well this year and ATL does not- maybe .500 for them. I dont buy into the matt ryan hype just yet.

That's why i said Cincy was hard to judge...and Seattle too. I just dont know if they can recoup from all the losses on defense, but...they are in the right devision to get lucky.

I think GB will be good too. Rodgers was good and should be better and that defense is totally buying into the system and they added some nice toys for Capers to play with. (Raji, Matthews)

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Those are your rankings?

Crazy as it seems, yes they are attached to my name. let me apologize for not thinking Chicago did enough to make a major improvement over last year. Certainly not as much as MIN and GB and with those two on the schedule to go with PIT, ATL, ARI, PHI and BAL...I think calling them an 8-8 team is kind.

But...we'll see how it changes over the course of the season

nbenallo33
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
and why do you think your so special to have your own rankings? lol

ursamajor
08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Brilliant.

Yes, those are Coach's rankings. He does them all season.
Gotcha

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Because my mommy said I was

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Because he's willing to take the time to do it. You can have your own rankings if you want.

----------------
Now playing: Luke Vibert – Keep Calm And Carry On *High Quality (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/luke+vibert/track/keep+calm+and+carry+on+*high+quality)

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I get crap for having Denver too low and they finished poorly. I also got crap for having Philly too high and they were 2 misytakes away from the Super Bowl.

I'll keep Philly ranked high because I dont believe the defense will lose a step and the offense vastly improved.

Denver could change from week to week

they are playing for Jim Johnson this year..

Benetto
08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Denver's defense has shown they can stop the run...but are a complete disaster at stopping the air attack. This will be our downfall...If we can get to the QB and put pressure on the opposing O, we can win more than 8 or so games..That will definitely help our injured/young backfield from being picked apart.

I have some confidence in our Offense...With that much talent, sky's the limit if our D pans out. Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.

frauschieze
08-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.

High-fived for this quote. :salute:

Mike
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't know if Denver should be that high, but pretty much it is a guessing game with the teams from 18-27.

Solid rankings. Tough to really judge much through the preseason...especially the top.

Team to watch....GB. They will jump pretty quick. They are going to be a solid team this year...I think they steal their division.

FanInAZ
08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
1 I refuse to drink Farve's kool-ade

2 I agree that dumping TO is a step in the right direction for Dallas

3 Buffalo will regret signing TO

4 Arizona blindsided the entire league by making it to the SB. Will they sink back to the bottom 3rd of the league like I'm used to? Will they stay in the top 3rd like you say? Could they actually win the SB next year like Fitz is talking about? I think your prediction could prove to be accurate, but these are the Cards that were talking about.

Poet
08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
The Eagles are overrated. They got into the playoffs last year largely based on luck (look at the Cincinnati game and then look at how Dallas just collapsed against them). Their offseason changes are going to be minimal.

Pittsburgh should be number one. They just put up a defense that is going to go down as one of the best in recent memory. They are the best team on paper and they have one of the best coaches in the NFL.

Right now it's not even up for debate.

T.K.O.
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
The Eagles are overrated. They got into the playoffs last year largely based on luck (look at the Cincinnati game and then look at how Dallas just collapsed against them). Their offseason changes are going to be minimal.

Pittsburgh should be number one. They just put up a defense that is going to go down as one of the best in recent memory. They are the best team on paper and they have one of the best coaches in the NFL.

Right now it's not even up for debate.

they almost lost to the cards in the sb so anything is possible.;)

Poet
08-29-2009, 07:29 PM
they almost lost to the cards in the sb so anything is possible.;)

But they won the SB. ;)

Point taken.

T.K.O.
08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
its started again....i just heard the announcers on the falcons/bolts game saying this could well be a superbowl preview !
i understand that the chargers have alot of talent but why do these guys go out every year and predict a sb for the bolts.?...they where an 8-8 team that was extremely lucky that the broncos choked so bad they let them sneak into the playoffs.
i think its great that that kind of pressure will be heaped on the team again,it will be that much sweeter when the broncos take the division flying under the radar !!!!:salute:

Poet
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
its started again....i just heard the announcers on the falcons/bolts game saying this could well be a superbowl preview !
i understand that the chargers have alot of talent but why do these guys go out every year and predict a sb for the bolts.?...they where an 8-8 team that was extremely lucky that the broncos choked so bad they let them sneak into the playoffs.
i think its great that that kind of pressure will be heaped on the team again,it will be that much sweeter when the broncos take the division flying under the radar !!!!:salute:

They keep getting picked for the same reasons the Colts kept getting picked; the amount of talent and number of good to great players they have is astounding.

A lot of people feel that the Chargers have a sense of inevitability; their stud players are so young and already so good that it just feels like it has to happen.

Honestly, Phillip Rivers just steeped into the category of an elite QB. I wouldn't be too shocked to see the Chargers win a Superbowl sooner then later.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Tomlinson has been the heart of this team, and he isn't getting younger. Although I believe Rivers is a very good QB, and he is now the centerpiece of this offense instead of Tomlinson.. I'm not so sure this offense doesn't take a dip with the decline of his play. ALthough, to be honest, I think Tomlinson will have a great year.

But until the Chargers get a new coach.. they will never make it to, nor win, the Super Bowl.

Northman
08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Tomlinson has been the heart of this team, and he isn't getting younger. Although I believe Rivers is a very good QB, and he is now the centerpiece of this offense instead of Tomlinson.. I'm not so sure this offense doesn't take a dip with the decline of his play. ALthough, to be honest, I think Tomlinson will have a great year.

But until the Chargers get a new coach.. they will never make it to, nor win, the Super Bowl.

I hope so (just not against us) because my fantasy team is counting on it.

Poet
08-29-2009, 08:54 PM

The thing is that Rivers was the heart of his offense last year and it wasn't the offense that failed them. Their defense was pretty awful for a god stretch of the season. The thing that should worry teams the most about the Chargers is that right now Antonio Gates is 100% healthy. I think Gates is going to take the title of "best TE in football" from Gonzo/Witten this year.