PDA

View Full Version : Should Brackenridge be penalized?

omac
11-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Against the Chiefs, first Sapp turns Marshall's head with the facemask, then as Marshall's going down, Brackenridge clearly makes a fist and punches Marshall in the groin before sliding his hand to the waist. If he was trying to make a tackle, he'd have an open hand for grabbing, but he had a fist instead. This was clearly intentional.

It also begs the question, are the Chiefs cheap shot artists? That play looked like a mugging; are they being encouraged to do that, the way maybe the Colts of old were taught to do in a different era?

(edit: added)Sorry, that was probably out of line. Sapp played looked like a pretty clean player the rest of the game, so maybe it's just Brackenridge.

The facemask from Sapp could've been incidental, but the punch to the groin by Brackenridge clearly wasn't. I've watched the slowmo a few times and there's no question that it was intentional.

Do the Broncos resort to that?

omac
11-16-2007, 01:37 AM
To make it worse, Denver was charged for the timeout from the injured player. So the Chiefs first yank Marshall's head around, then punch him in the groin. They're only charged with the facemask penalty, and the refs don't do anything with the clearly intentional punch.

I sure hope Goodell does something about it. The refs this season have really stunk it up.

gobroncsnv
11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I know that the league is reviewing it. There is just absolutely no place for this kind of crap. I am pretty sure Romo did this kind of thing... and that just keeps me from missing him at all. I loved the intensity, and the way he always showed up around the ball, but I hated his tactics. There is no need for this stuff at all.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Hopefully the NFL will do something here, do not hold your breath.

lex
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Against the Chiefs, first Sapp turns Marshall's head with the facemask, then as Marshall's going down, Brackenridge clearly makes a fist and punches Marshall in the groin before sliding his hand to the waist. If he was trying to make a tackle, he'd have an open hand for grabbing, but he had a fist instead. This was clearly intentional.

It also begs the question, are the Chiefs cheap shot artists? That play looked like a mugging; are they being encouraged to do that, the way maybe the Colts of old were taught to do in a different era?

(edit: added)Sorry, that was probably out of line. Sapp played looked like a pretty clean player the rest of the game, so maybe it's just Brackenridge.

The facemask from Sapp could've been incidental, but the punch to the groin by Brackenridge clearly wasn't. I've watched the slowmo a few times and there's no question that it was intentional.

Do the Broncos resort to that?

Yes the Chiefs have a history of cheap shots. Go look at the 1997 game at Arrowhead and youll see what I mean. Sunday was more of that.

But nothing will be done. The commissioner is on the east coast. Guys like Mike Perreira are too worried about like green dots.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes the Chiefs have a history of cheap shots. Go look at the 1997 game at Arrowhead and youll see what I mean. Sunday was more of that.

And yes, Brackenridge should be shot and dismembered for the cheap shot.

But nothing will be done. The commissioner is on the east coast. He really doesnt give a **** about stuff like this. Guys like Mike Perreira are too worried about like green dots.

But 1997 is a long time ago. I believe that the cheap shots are allowed and even encouraged by the HEAD coach and staff. Not to say that the chefs do this all the time as I have heard that Herm is a class guy. I suspect this is an aberration.

Krugan
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I still think it wasnt meant to hit him in the junk.

My first thought when I saw it was, he was thinking of trying to punch the ball, not the pair.

Had to hurt regardless, that was a mighty smack 'o' the nards.

TXBRONC
11-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Should the NFL fine the creep? Yes they should will they I don't know. Also the Chiefs should have been hit the 15 yarder on the face mask penalty.

omac
11-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I still think it wasnt meant to hit him in the junk.

My first thought when I saw it was, he was thinking of trying to punch the ball, not the pair.

Had to hurt regardless, that was a mighty smack 'o' the nards.

I checked the slowmo a few times; it was an intentional punch, nowhere near the ball ... well, the football. :D It was obvious he was trying to make it look like it was a motion to grab the waist. Before that point, Marshall was pretty effective catching the ball. That took him out for a while.

KCL
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't believe that the whole team should be judged by one

player.There are some good guys on our team.Tony G, Priest Holmes,

Brian Waters,Our 2 QBs,Jared Allen,Derrick Johnson,Tamba Hali...just to name a few.

The Chiefs are not cheap shots and I also don't believe Herm would
encourage this type of behavior.

The face mask...I don't believe was intentional.What Brackenridge did
did look intentional,I will give you all that.I think it should be reviewed
and dealt with.

But to you all who say that the Chiefs are cheap shots are wrong.I
believe every team has a player or two that you could put in that catagory.

TXBRONC
11-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Brian Waters,Our 2 QBs,Jared Allen,Derrick Johnson,Tamba Hali...just to name a few.

and dealt with.

The problem with face masking is he didn't let go right away so he should have been hit with a P.I. and there should have been a P.I. on the shot to the groin.

I agree with you not all the players on the Chiefs take cheap shots.

KCL
11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
The problem with face masking is he didn't let go right away so he should have been hit with a P.I. and there should have been a P.I. on the shot to the groin.

I agree with you not all the players on the Chiefs take cheap shots.

I think tho that when a player has ahold of the face mask and is going down as a result of the tackle...its hard to let go once the fingers are caught up in the face mask.

And even if it was or wasn't intentional...it isn't the Chiefs fault that a flag wasn't thrown and I know you are not saying it was.The refs miss calls all the time and I am sure there were probably some flags that should of been thrown on both teams.

KCL
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
BTW...It felt good to include Priest Holmes again when naming some of
our players...:beer:

sorry... off topic I know.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Had he not gotten up and then go back down no one would have know this happened. Until they went in to find with replay what happened then there was a collective groan by every man in the US watching. Even my wife winched when she saw it.

The Referees would have probably never been able to see it from their vantage point. Had they you bet there would have been flags raining down till nightfall.

omac
11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I think tho that when a player has ahold of the face mask and is going down as a result of the tackle...its hard to let go once the fingers are caught up in the face mask.

And even if it was or wasn't intentional...it isn't the Chiefs fault that a flag wasn't thrown and I know you are not saying it was.The refs miss calls all the time and I am sure there were probably some flags that should of been thrown on both teams.

The timing of the groin punch was pretty good. Marshall was very effective catching passes, then after the hit, he had to sit out for quite a while and it took time before he could play effectively again. Also, it was done by a player 3rd on the your depth chart; in basketball, they call that an enforcer ... someone who'll make the cheap hit to take a player out of the game, but he himself isn't as important as the rest of the starters, in case he gets penalized. It's that kind of circumstance that makes the Chiefs coaching staff look suspicious. Cheap hits like those can cause players or coaches to take matters into their own hands; a team could try to injure Bowe as payback, and no one wants to see something like that happen to a promising young player.

KCL
11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
The timing of the groin punch was pretty good. Marshall was very effective catching passes, then after the hit, he had to sit out for quite a while and it took time before he could play effectively again. Also, it was done by a player 3rd on the your depth chart; in basketball, they call that an enforcer ... someone who'll make the cheap hit to take a player out of the game, but he himself isn't as important as the rest of the starters, in case he gets penalized. It's that kind of circumstance that makes the Chiefs coaching staff look suspicious. Cheap hits like those can cause players or coaches to take matters into their own hands; a team could try to injure Bowe as payback, and no one wants to see something like that happen to a promising young player.

Not sure how that makes our coaching staff look suspicious.For all we know
Herm may be dealing with this within the team as well.I still don't think Herm had prior knowledge to any plans by one player to intentionally hurt anyone.I really doubt that they sat on the sidelines or in locker room and talked about it.

Like I said....the team as a whole should not be judged by one moron.

Look what happened to Priest Holmes a couple of yrs ago in SD by
Merriman...some thought that was intentional...if it was I sure didnt think
Marty was to blame.

broncos9697
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
kclady your right we cant judge a whole team on just one players or-deal...
but as i reviewed the tape he ment to do it and thats cheep he should be fined just like anybody else thats does that should be fined...
and every tea in the nfl has at least one player that is dirty like that,and thats sad to think..
but kclady i am on your side with this one lets not judge a team on one players action..

KCL
11-16-2007, 04:23 PM
kclady your right we cant judge a whole team on just one players or-deal...
but as i reviewed the tape he ment to do it and thats cheep he should be fined just like anybody else thats does that should be fined...
and every tea in the nfl has at least one player that is dirty like that,and thats sad to think..
but kclady i am on your side with this one lets not judge a team on one players action..

thanks...Like I stated earlier...it should be dealt with.

broncos9697
11-16-2007, 04:29 PM
thanks...Like I stated earlier...it should be dealt with.

your right....

if a player wants to deliver cheep shots they need to be fined everytime in the NFL.....I dont care who it is...plus they should be punished by the team its self like sitting out a game or not starting...

KCL
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
your right....

if a player wants to deliver cheep shots they need to be fined everytime in the NFL.....I dont care who it is...plus they should be punished by the team its self like sitting out a game or not starting...

I didnt like seeing that as a fan of the Chiefs.Not at all. I hope Herm is dealing with it...and if so...it is probably something that will stay private.

omac
11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
BTW...It felt good to include Priest Holmes again when naming some of
our players...:beer:

sorry... off topic I know.

Good for him. I was glad not only that he could play with some effectivity, but that he could take some hits, which was really the most important thing. Because of his former injury, I was concerned that playing again could be dangerous to his health. Here's to him not having any major injury all the way through retirement.

KCL
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Good for him. I was glad not only that he could play with some effectivity, but that he could take some hits, which was really the most important thing. Because of his former injury, I was concerned that playing again could be dangerous to his health. Here's to him not having any major injury all the way through retirement.

He has alot of heart coming back the way he has.He may never be back
to his former self...but he didnt look too bad altho he didnt rack up many
yards.

He seems like a very humble guy and I have always liked him better
than LJ.

I would love to see him have a good career as a backup.

broncos9697
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM

I do understand holmes he is past his prime but he is still better then 70% of the nfl's starting RB's..Did you see the moves he had last game wow if only he had room to break a few of those amazing...I am not a holmes fan at all he has torched my broncos to many times...But its amazing to see him come back from a injury he had....He's go to be a bunch a of little kids hero.....

KCL
11-16-2007, 08:02 PM
To make it worse, Denver was charged for the timeout from the injured player. So the Chiefs first yank Marshall's head around, then punch him in the groin. They're only charged with the facemask penalty, and the refs don't do anything with the clearly intentional punch.

Should the NFL fine the creep? Yes they should will they I don't know. Also the Chiefs should have been hit the 15 yarder on the face mask penalty.

In going back thru this thread....these 2 post are saying 2 different things about the same play.Now was he flagged for the facemask or not?:confused:
I can't remember.

gobroncsnv
11-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't see how anyone in their right mind would look at Herm as calling for that kind of crap. Way too classy. He almost makes the Chiefs likable... :laugh:

I know the refs would have flagged this if they had seen it. This is the kind of thing that they will review on a weekly basis at the league office. If there is justice, he'll get a fine.

Krugan
11-16-2007, 08:39 PM
In going back thru this thread....these 2 post are saying 2 different things about the same play.Now was he flagged for the facemask or not?:confused:
I can't remember.

I think they got hit with the 5 yard garden variety face mask.

KCL
11-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks as I couldnt remember. That is one game I want to forget...:laugh:

omac
11-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Yup, it should've been the flagrant type penalty, since Brandon Marshall's head was twisted around by the facemask yank.

arapaho2
11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
well i dont think herm teaches it or allows it, but i do think it was intentional

i will go one further...i also think allens hit on cutler below the kness was borderline cheap...there is a rule about hitting a qb below the knees.....now he was blocked , but if you watch it slow he was blocked down to the ground then just dove at cutlers knees and to make it worse rolled on him...that kind of crap is what ends a guys career

lex
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM

and dealt with.

What you say about Allen is suspect. But in any case, the Chiefs are dirty.

Medford Bronco
11-17-2007, 12:03 AM
What you say about Allen is suspect. But in any case, the Chiefs are dirty.

lex its one player

do you remember when George Foster of the Broncos
cut someone from the Bengals who was not looking
and broke his leg. It was a legal play but the guy
was defenseless and extremly dirty

Are all the Broncos dirty or just
George Foster, Same situation.

hate on the single player not the whole team for being
dirty and i am sure Herm does not condon this

he has enough issues managing the clock
to codone anything, (okay that was a joke
on Herm, had to take the jab :laugh: )

lex
11-17-2007, 12:13 AM
lex its one player

do you remember when George Foster of the Broncos
cut someone from the Bengals who was not looking
and broke his leg. It was a legal play but the guy
was defenseless and extremly dirty

Are all the Broncos dirty or just
George Foster, Same situation.

hate on the single player not the whole team for being
dirty and i am sure Herm does not condon this

he has enough issues managing the clock
to codone anything, (okay that was a joke
on Herm, had to take the jab :laugh: )

A lot of DEs will tackle the QB up high because they might disrupt the throwing motion whereas if they dont and go for the legs, some QBs might get the throw off before he is sacked. With that in mind, I found it kind of interesting that practically every opportunity Allen had to hit Cutler, he went low. And again, he went into the face of conventional thinking to do it.

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 12:50 AM
A lot of DEs will tackle the QB up high because they might disrupt the throwing motion whereas if they dont and go for the legs, some QBs might get the throw off before he is sacked. With that in mind, I found it kind of interesting that practically every opportunity Allen had to hit Cutler, he went low. And again, he went into the face of conventional thinking to do it.

I did not watch it that closely but Might I add the Allen just might be taking the route to the QB he can get at them with.

Like Dumervil is shorter than most OT that he goes up against it would be hard for him to go over top of them unlike some of the giant DE's out there that just bull rush and completely overpower the OLINE to get at the QB.

Like Water the DE usually take the path of least resistance that might be why he is going low to the QB.. I don't know this for fact but he is probably taking what he can get from our OLINE.

Food for thought

omac
11-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Allen had a monster game. The left side couldn't do much against him. There was one play where he was completely outblocked and charging towards Cutler's back; good thing Cutler handed of to Young, and he stuffed Young immediately after the handoff. If that was a fake handoff, Cutler would've been hit hard from behind and face down on the ground.

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Allen had a monster game. The left side couldn't do much against him. There was one play where he was completely outblocked and charging towards Cutler's back; good thing Cutler handed of to Young, and he stuffed Young immediately after the handoff. If that was a fake handoff, Cutler would've been hit hard from behind and face down on the ground.

I remember him having a really good game I did not analyze each play. It is obvious that Lepsis is not bringing his A game yet. If he comes back next year I think he will be back to that level after the knee surgery, regardless of what hey say I have yet to see the player comeback the next year to the level of play thy had before the injury. they may be OK but he is not his normal self. May never be hoping that he is cause he is IMO one of the top LT in the game.

KCL
11-17-2007, 08:11 AM
As far as Jared Allen...he is not a dirty player...he doesn't
have to resort to taking cheap shots as he is having a good year.

The only thing dirty about Allen was his stupidity at getting 2 DUIs
last year and being suspended for 2 games this season.

And thanks Medford...always a classy person!

Medford Bronco
11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
As far as Jared Allen...he is not a dirty player...he doesn't
have to resort to taking cheap shots as he is having a good year.

The only thing dirty about Allen was his stupidity at getting 2 DUIs
last year and being suspended for 2 games this season.

And thanks Medford...always a classy person!

No problem KCL

I do not think its right to bash a whole team
for being dirty when its one person/play

Denver has had plenty of these situation

someone else broke Paul Spicers leg a few
years ago, I cant remember his name
but it was dirty as well.

ALL teams have some dirtiness etc, Its the
nature of the NFL. Its a hard hitting game
that sometimes in split second decisions
can go awry.

Just a small dots take in enemy territory
in Boston :laugh:

broncofanatic1987
11-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Considering players get fined for unintentional helmet to helmet hits, I think the league should fine the guy for the punch, even if they think it wasn't intentional.

Lonestar
11-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Considering players get fined for unintentional helmet to helmet hits, I think the league should fine the guy for the punch, even if they think it wasn't intentional.

I'd guess that the league will look at it and do just that..