View Full Version : Turnover margin troubling for Broncos

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13196683

Turnover margin troubling for Broncos
Defense looking for first takeaway since late last season
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

If you think it has been, well, forever since the Broncos' defense snagged a turnover, you're not the only one.

"Years, it seems like," cornerback Champ Bailey said.

While Bailey might be going heavy on the hyperbole, his sentiment is right.

Dating to last season, the Broncos have gone four games — two to end 2008 and two preseason games to start 2009 — without a takeaway. The last turnover created came on Dec. 14, when safety Josh Barrett picked off a pass from Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme.

While coaches often are quick to dismiss preseason statistics, there is no denying the Broncos' minus-6 turnover margin through two preseason games is troubling. Denver has lost four interceptions (all by starting quarterback Kyle Orton) and two fumbles (by Tony Scheffler and Kenny McKinley) while failing to force any on defense.

It's the same problem that plagued the 2008 version of the defense. The Broncos had only 13 total takeaways — six interceptions (second-worst in the NFL) and seven recovered fumbles — for a total turnover margin of minus-17 for the season.

"I think it's hanging over our heads right now, especially with the amount of turnovers they had here last year," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "It's been a point of emphasis. We've been focusing on it all training camp, so now it's just a matter of getting it."

The focus on creating turnovers was evident throughout the Broncos' training camp, with interception, ball-stripping and ball-recovery drills a staple in every practice for each defensive position group. Turnovers also have been emphasized in just about every defensive meeting.

"It's something we've talked about a ton. Maybe we haven't talked enough about it or maybe we've talked too much about it," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "But down three in both games now is something we want to fix. We'll address it as early as we possibly can on Tuesday and try to fix that. Because you're not going to win games losing three turnovers, and then not getting any on defense."

History shows McDaniels to be correct.

Of the 30 AFC teams to make the playoffs in the past five seasons, 26 had a positive turnover margin, with two teams even and only two in negative numbers (one was the 2004 Broncos at minus-9). Every AFC playoff team in 2008 was in the black.

Bailey, who had only one interception in 2008, a career low, said the Denver defense is confident there won't be a repeat of last season. The lack of early turnovers, Bailey said, is the result of so many new players learning to play with each other while also learning a new defensive scheme.

"Obviously we've got to put ourselves in better positions to do it," Bailey said. "I think we're not making the right guesses. As we get better in our pass rush and our coverage, and those two things are coming together, we'll start making those plays."

The new 3-4 defense has begun to show signs of an improved pass rush with seven sacks in two preseason games, and the Broncos have been credited with six passes defended. Still, none of that has resulted in turnovers. That has affected the offense, Mc-Daniels said, just as the offense's fumbles and interceptions — such as Scheffler's fumble deep in Denver territory against the Seattle Seahawks — hurts the defense.

"Turnovers — anytime you turn the ball over like that you're going to put yourself in the hole," McDaniels said. "They didn't have to go as far to score points as we did. That's our fault. It starts with the turnovers."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Shazam!
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
They'll get at least one on Sunday if they can hurry Cutler.

broncofaninfla
08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
I think Nolans scheme will help us out here once the regular season starts. Looks like we are going to have more pressure on teh QB's this year whcih should equal interceptions.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 09:18 AM
They'll get at least one on Sunday if they can hurry Cutler.

The Giants didn't get any picks off of him this past Saturday and we know how good their defense is.

Northman
08-25-2009, 09:24 AM
The Giants didn't get any picks off of him this past Saturday and we know how good their defense is.

Dont read too much into it.

The Giants were depleted on defense. Linebackers Antonio Pierce and Michael Boley were on the inactive list, as were cornerback Aaron Ross and safety Kenny Phillips. Defensive tackles Rocky Benard and Chris Canty also were sidelined by injuries. Backup defensive tackle Jay Alford was carted off with a knee sprain early in the third quarter.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
The Giants didn't get any picks off of him this past Saturday and we know how good their front seven is.

Edited for accuracy

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Dont read too much into it.

The point as I understood if we get pressure on Cutler he'll throw an interception. The Giants were able to get pressure on regardless of who was in there and he didn't turn the ball over.

Northman
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
The point as I understood if we get pressure on Cutler he'll throw an interception. The Giants were able to get pressure on regardless of who was in there and he didn't turn the ball over.

Well, going by Jay's history he has always been up and down. So he sucked in week 1 and excelled in week 2. Maybe this means he will suck again come gametime on Sunday. :D

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Edited for accuracy

Edit your posts. I said exactly what I meant to say.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM

The Giants secodary is full of opportunists. They are not an upper echelon group by any means.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
The Giants secodary is full of opportunists. They are not an upper echelon group by any means.

So what? The point was that if he's preasured he'll turn the ball over. Regardless of who was in their for Giants he didn't throw interception when he was pressured.

Shazam!
08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Who cares what happens in preseason week to week? Because a team wins by a blowout against a team that is not only injured but due to struggle a little bit, means they're unstoppable now? The Broncos progressed nicely last week from their opener and hopefully they'll get even better as they gel (I hate using the word but hey). McDaniels may be downplaying this game, but I believe the whole team will be fired up not only for this game against Cutler but on national TV.

claymore
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Who cares what happens in preseason week to week? Because a team wins by a blowout against a team that is not only injured but due to struggle a little bit, means they're unstoppable now? The Broncos progressed nicely last week from their opener and hopefully they'll get even better as they gel (I hate using the word but hey). McDaniels may be downplaying this game, but I believe the whole team will be fired up not only for this game against Cutler but on national TV.

No one care about the score. But some of us care about the performance of the starters while they are in.

If nobody thought pre season was an excellent gauge of your players they either wouldnt have it, or they would add the games to the regular season.

For everyone that says "preseason doesnt count" They are wrong. The winner and loser does not count but individual performances do count.

Ravage!!!
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
well.. If they added to the regular season, the owners would have to pay the players for those games. As it is right now, the owners get 2 free games worth of income without paying out 'game day' salaries.

I personally believe pre-season is just for the fans.

That being said, I understand its a fun 'knock' on Cutler to assume we'll simply get a pick if we pressure him, but thats all it is.... nothing but an attempt at smack on him. Doesn't really hold any truth to it. Same could be said about pressuring Orton for sure.

If we are talking about decreasing the ratio, the Bears defense has a much better chance of causing turnovers than our does......especially if we are predicting based on the history of defenses and the history of this preseason thus far.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 10:48 AM
well.. If they added to the regular season, the owners would have to pay the players for those games. As it is right now, the owners get 2 free games worth of income without paying out 'game day' salaries.

I personally believe pre-season is just for the fans.

That being said, I understand its a fun 'knock' on Cutler to assume we'll simply get a pick if we pressure him, but thats all it is.... nothing but an attempt at smack on him. Doesn't really hold any truth to it. Same could be said about pressuring Orton for sure.

If we are talking about decreasing the ratio, the Bears defense has a much better chance of causing turnovers than our does......especially if we are predicting based on the history of defenses and the history of this preseason thus far.

Do the owners charge full price for preseason tickets?

True preseason games do matter as far the standing are considered but the do have value.

Ravage!!!
08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Do the owners charge full price for preseason tickets?

True preseason games do matter as far the standing are considered but the do have value.

Some teams do. Not to mention the parking, concessions, and all the other articles of clothing. But yeah, its very common for teams to charge full (or nearly full) price on pre-season tickets. As hard as it is to believe :lol:

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Some teams do. Not to mention the parking, concessions, and all the other articles of clothing. But yeah, its very common for teams to charge full (or nearly full) price on pre-season tickets. As hard as it is to believe :lol:

I would have never guessed. ;)

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Cowboys have been doing it as they unveil JerryWorld. Parking for pre-season AND regular season games is $75. Pay it or park at the Rangers stadium for $30 and walk 3 miles. Sad.

claymore
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Cowboys have been doing it as they unveil JerryWorld. Parking for pre-season AND regular season games is $75. Pay it or park at the Rangers stadium for $30 and walk 3 miles. Sad.

I wish I liked another sport. The cost of going to a game is just ridiculous.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I wish I liked another sport. The cost of going to a game is just ridiculous.

I saw something the a few nights ago about how people have started attending more minor league baseball games because the cost of a major league game so outrage.

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I saw something the a few nights ago about how people have started attending more minor league baseball games because the cost of a major league game so outrage.

Even minor league AAA games are getting expensive.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM

I have a minor league team in my backyard and I go to about 20 games a year. The tickets alone for 20 games alone cost less than one football ticket plus parking and the same as 3 major league games plus parking.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Even minor league AAA games are getting expensive.

Talking about the Drillers? Hicks has to because he's hurting for money.

claymore
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM

I need to start doing this, its cheeper, closer, and probably more fun cause I dont care who wins or loses.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I need to start doing this, its cheeper, closer, and probably more fun cause I dont care who wins or loses.

Most minor league baseball games are fun. They always have some crazy promotions going on and it's very personal. Close to the action...just a great atmosphere

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Talking about the Drillers? Hicks has to because he's hurting for money.

No, that's Tulsa. I'm talking about the OKC Redhawks, the Rangers AAA affiliate. But on the plus side our ballpark is just as nice as a lot of MLB parks if just smaller.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
No, that's Tulsa. I'm talking about the OKC Redhawks, the Rangers AAA affiliate. But on the plus side our ballpark is just as nice as a lot of MLB parks if just smaller.

That's what I meant. Not sure why the Drillers came to mind. Either way, the Redhawks are funded by Hicks, who is hurting for money. I'm right next to their AA affiliate, Frisco. The prices of their games have increased too, but still a much better deal.

At least you get to go out and watch Chris Davis and Justin Smoak play.

Shazam!
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
That being said, I understand its a fun 'knock' on Cutler to assume we'll simply get a pick if we pressure him, but thats all it is.... nothing but an attempt at smack on him. Doesn't really hold any truth to it.

I wasn't saying they will get an INT, but if they can get pressure, they can get a TO.

I think Champ is just a little familiar with him too.

If you can get pressure on virtually any QB in the NFL you can get INTs, especially a QB who relies so heavily on arm strength and getting the ball into fast closing spots. So, there goes your average analysis defending your hero.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I wasn't saying they will get an INT, but if they can get pressure, they can get a TO.

I think Champ is just a little familiar with him too.

If you can get pressure on virtually any QB in the NFL you can get INTs, especially a QB who relies so heavily on arm strength and getting the ball into fast closing spots. So, there goes your average analysis defending your hero.

True but that also works in reverse.

dogfish
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
if cutler's a turnover machine, what does it matter if we can snag a cheap INT from him in the preseason? we need to be able to generate them on a consistent basis in the regular season. . . and STOP coughing up so many ourselves! picking jay off would make some people around here happy, but it (or any other turnover) doesn't get us very far if orton or the "special" teams gives it right back. . . .