PDA

View Full Version : Lynch is back

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Good News

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=81053

Lynch returns to full practice, looks forward to Titans

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - John Lynch isn't ready to call it quits just yet.

The Denver Broncos All-Pro safety said he should be ready to play against Tennessee on Monday night after going through a full-contact practice Thursday for the first time in weeks.

Lynch suffered a pinched nerve in his neck the last time the Broncos played on Monday night against the Green Bay Packers on Oct. 30. He hasn't played since.

"It went good," Lynch said. "It was the plan this week to add some contact, we had some spirited contact out there and I think all things are looking good."

There was plenty of caution when he was initially diagnosed with the stinger. He had surgery on his neck after the 2003 season.

Lynch, 36, knows he's not getting any younger.

"You have time to think about a lot of things, so sure, you reflect a lot," Lynch said. "But most of all, once the reports were good, I was just doing everything I could to get back and looking forward to that."

The Broncos secondary had mixed results with Lynch out of the lineup. The defense surrendered 246 yards passing and two touchdowns against Detroit in a 44-7 loss the week after Lynch went down. They bounced back against Kansas City, allowing just 217 yards passing and no touchdowns to go along with three interceptions in the 27-11 win.

"The guys did a great job last week when I was out and I'm looking forward to being out there with them this week," Lynch said.

He'll be tested immediately. The Titans run the ball more than any other team in the league. Lynch's specialty? Big hits in run support.

"I guess there's a couple of ways to look at it," Lynch said. "You get tested right away, and that's a good thing. So you better be ready to play and better be ready to bring it against these guys. Big backs that are loads and I kind of like that style."

RETURN TO FORM: Jason Elam may be the Broncos' oldest player, but he doesn't seem to be slowing down.

The Denver kicker was back to kicking from nearly 60 yards Thursday after he had lost some range the past few weeks because of a pulled right calf.

"It was like someone had shot me," Elam said.

His maximum range was 50 yards Sunday against the Chiefs. So when coach Mike Shanahan called on his longtime sure thing, Elam was curious about the outcome.

"I told coach before the game, I said 'You're going to have to get to the 32, that's about all I've got today,"' Elam said. "That's right where we got to. Had it been 32 and a foot, we wouldn't have had it."

It's been nine years since Elam tied the NFL record for the longest made field goal (63 yards), but even at 37, he has plenty left in his leg.

"I'm back up to 55ish," Elam said.

UNDER REVIEW: Shanahan raised a few eyebrows across the league when he iced Oakland kicker Sebastian Janikowski mere seconds before Janikowski kicked what would have been a game-winning field goal.

Since that happened in Week 2, several other similar instances have occurred across the league and at the college level.

Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, Shanahan's longtime friend and this week's opponent, said the NFL competition committee will be taking a look at that tactic in the coming months.

"I'm sure it will come up," Fisher said. "At first glance, I don't think there's much that will be done, at least that would be my opinion now, without hearing the other opinions of the committee members. As soon as a head coach ices a kicker and the kick is missed and then re-kicked and made, I don't think you'll see it happen ever again."

EXTRA POINTS: The Broncos are averaging 5.7 yards per play, good for sixth in the NFL. ... P Todd Sauerbrun is averaging a career-best 48.5 yards per punt. ... LB D.J. Williams leads the Broncos with 98 tackles. ... WR Javon Walker and FB Paul Smith did not practice on Thursday.

topscribe
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Great article. Thanks for the read! :2thumbs:

It's good to see Lynch back in action and laying the wood again.

-----

omac
11-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Great article Denver Native (Carol), thanks! :cheers:

The Broncos are averaging 5.7 yards per play, good for sixth in the NFL.

Nice to see Denver's pretty good at moving the ball. On a similar note, someone at Broncomania posted that Cutler has the best 3rd down completion percentage in the league, but I couldn't find the stats to verify if that was true.

broncosfanscott
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the article.

I am glad to see that Lynch is feeling better and the same goes for Elam.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 09:29 PM
well lets hope he plays and does well without him we have been up shat creek witout a paddle..

MY adoptee

TXBRONC
11-18-2007, 09:44 AM
well lets hope he plays and does well without him we have been up shat creek without a paddle..

MY adoptee

Abdullah has played well in Lynch's absence. It's not that I don't want a starter like Lynch out there but from a physical standpoint we might be a little better off.

Lonestar
11-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Abdullah has played well in Lynch's absence. It's not that I don't want a starter like Lynch out there but from a physical standpoint we might be a little better off.

As it stands he is a HUGE upgrade in experience. One either wishes to use all the best men to win or not.

I for one wish to win if we can, however I does not bother at this point in THIS season to loses out while giving all the youngsters as much playing time as we can give them to see if they have what it takes to do the job next year.

IMO this is the time to to do just that.

TXBRONC
11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
As it stands he is a HUGE upgrade in experience. One either wishes to use all the best men to win or not.

I for one wish to win if we can, however I does not bother at this point in THIS season to loses out while giving all the youngsters as much playing time as we can give them to see if they have what it takes to do the job next year.

IMO this is the time to to do just that.

I'm glad Shanahan doesn't follow that line of thinking.

Besides Jr I'm fairly certain you're going to find fault with Shanahan anyway so I rather he try win games since that what he's paid to do.

By the way don't put words in my mouth I never said said that I don't want the best people on the field. However, since I watched the games and saw how Abdullah preformed I for one am not uncomfortable with him being in there if Lynch can go and athletically Abdullah is probably a better at this point his career.

Lonestar
11-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm glad Shanahan doesn't follow that line of thinking.

Besides Jr I'm fairly certain you're going to find fault with Shanahan anyway so I rather he try win games since that what he's paid to do.

By the way don't put words in my mouth I never said said that I don't want the best people on the field. However, since I watched the games and saw how Abdullah preformed I for one am not uncomfortable with him being in there if Lynch can go and athletically Abdullah is probably a better at this point his career.

Perhaps is is right now a better athelte, but alot of this game is between the ears.. I'll take John in heart beat there.