PDA

View Full Version : Broncos should look at Saints' RB Chris Ivory in free agency

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Chad Olsen in Bozeman, Mont.:

Q: There's been plenty of talk about the Broncos going after Steven Jackson and Shonn Greene. What about New Orleans running back Chris Ivory? He is relatively young, has low mileage, has an impressive yards-per-carry average and would be relatively inexpensive in the free agent market...

A: Chad, a perceptive call on your part. In terms of financial demands and potential output, Chris Ivory deserves a long look from any team in search of a back with some size.

rest - plus comments on Bolden - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22710326/broncos-should-look-at-saints-rb-chris-ivory

Lancane
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Chris Ivory would be a good addition, he's not as proven as Shonn Greene...but they could do far worse.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I like Ivory but he is useless in the passing game

Lancane
03-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I like Ivory but he is useless in the passing game

I'd be more concerned with his pass blocking and ball running skills, Coach. But it is a viable concern if they want an all purpose back, however when you have Hillman and Knowshon that area of concern may not be as great.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd be more concerned with his pass blocking and ball running skills, Coach. But it is a viable concern if they want an all purpose back, however when you have Hillman and Knowshon that area of concern may not be as great.

But wouldnt it be nice to have at least one back that could run, catch and block that wasnt a threat to be injured regularly?

Lancane
03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
But wouldnt it be nice to have at least one back that could run, catch and block that wasnt a threat to be injured regularly?

Yes it would, then again Denver knew we had that issue last off-season which was statistically proven and still they took Hillman (who was drafted as a change of pace, but is now according to Coach Fox, capable of being an all purpose back!). Denver has not according to any reports met with any tailback draft prospects, so either they are on the same page about Hillman or are looking to simply fill the need through free agency, if not both.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes it would, then again Denver knew we had that issue last off-season which was statistically proven and still they took Hillman (who was drafted as a change of pace, but is now according to Coach Fox, capable of being an all purpose back!). Denver has not according to any reports met with any tailback draft prospects, so either they are on the same page about Hillman or are looking to simply fill the need through free agency, if not both.

I'm still on the Steven Jackson campaign. 2 years, 15 mil. I'd be happy

Lancane
03-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Jackson really wants to return to St. Louis according to local media sources, so he is likely going to re-work his current contract or at least that is what they believe.

I'd be fine with Greene or Ivory, but you do have to wonder if the team is really sold on Hillman becoming a primary, everydown running back.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Jackson really wants to return to St. Louis according to local media sources, so he is likely going to re-work his current contract or at least that is what they believe.

I'd be fine with Greene or Ivory, but you do have to wonder if the team is really sold on Hillman becoming a primary, everydown running back.

I dont think he was ever intended to be an every down back. And if that's their plan for him...they're in for a rude awakening.

G_Money
03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Hillman is not gonna be a bell cow kind of back. I like that he's willing to run it up the gut, but he's not a three-down back because he's too light in the pants to hold off a LB or DL who comes free on a blitz, and he's not gonna move a pile on third-and-short.

I wanted Turbin last year as a bigger back, and this year I'd take Christine Michael in that role (even though I have issues with his attitude and his pass-blocking, that may have been a schematic thing). I'd take Stepfan Taylor because he's good at everything (receiving, pass-protection, short yardage) except finding a 5th gear (or maybe a 4th) even though he's not the biggest back.

Maybe we figure we can go another year with McGahee and Hillman, but our offense changes a lot when we can't get 3rd-and-shorts converted. We need a guy who is able to get a first down when everybody knows he's getting the ball.

VERY important for this team. Ivory might fill in in a pinch, and I'd LOVE Steven Jackson (it would be hilarious to me to make up for that draft day snafu by ditching DJ and using his money on the back we should have drafted in his spot). But failing that, I want someone who can take over for Willis within the year, and have Hillman available in a package role.

Por Favor.

~G

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Hillman is not gonna be a bell cow kind of back. I like that he's willing to run it up the gut, but he's not a three-down back because he's too light in the pants to hold off a LB or DL who comes free on a blitz, and he's not gonna move a pile on third-and-short.

I wanted Turbin last year as a bigger back, and this year I'd take Christine Michael in that role (even though I have issues with his attitude and his pass-blocking, that may have been a schematic thing). I'd take Stepfan Taylor because he's good at everything (receiving, pass-protection, short yardage) except finding a 5th gear (or maybe a 4th) even though he's not the biggest back.

Maybe we figure we can go another year with McGahee and Hillman, but our offense changes a lot when we can't get 3rd-and-shorts converted. We need a guy who is able to get a first down when everybody knows he's getting the ball.

VERY important for this team. Ivory might fill in in a pinch, and I'd LOVE Steven Jackson (it would be hilarious to me to make up for that draft day snafu by ditching DJ and using his money on the back we should have drafted in his spot). But failing that, I want someone who can take over for Willis within the year, and have Hillman available in a package role.

Por Favor.

~G

Just as an FYI on Michael...his attitude issues are really non-existent. Yeah, he might have handled his problem with Sumlin better, but if he wasnt mis-lead by Sumlin in the first place, I dont think it would have been a problem. At the end of the day...he still performed.

As far as pass blocking, I think it's something he can learn. He didnt look good at it at the senior bowl practices, but it also wasnt something he was asked to do very often in Sherman's offense and certainly not in Sumlin's offense with a fleet-footed QB.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
The catch with Ivory is that he's a RFA so depending on how the Saints tender him, he'll potentially cost a draft pick and they'll have right of first refusal (the right to match) anything anyone offers for him. I don't think it will be too expensive with Ingram, Sproles, and Thomas on the roster, but we might have to give up something (other than just contract $) to get him.

I'd love to have him, but I doubt Elway will be willing to give up a pick for him.

Lancane
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Again, Denver has (according to various sources) not met with any running back draft prospects...if not for the article linking Denver to Shonn Greene and Elway's own words it would look as though the Broncos are not looking to upgrade the position, especially given Coach Fox's recent support for Hillman as a primary back. I'm really not sure Denver will even look at Jackson to be quite honest...at least I don't believe so.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Again, Denver has (according to various sources) not met with any running back draft prospects...if not for the article linking Denver to Shonn Greene and Elway's own words it would look as though the Broncos are not looking to upgrade the position, especially given Coach Fox's recent support for Hillman as a primary back. I'm really not sure Denver will even look at Jackson to be quite honest...at least I don't believe so.

If Hillman is the primary back, then Manning better start getting ready right now. He's going to have a lot of throwing to do and Gase might want to install the Texas A&M offense.

Lancane
03-04-2013, 05:52 PM
If Hillman is the primary back, then Manning better start getting ready right now. He's going to have a lot of throwing to do and Gase might want to install the Texas A&M offense.

Not that I disagree Coach, and hopefully the coaching staff and front office understand as much themselves.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2013, 01:59 AM
I think Ivory was tendered original round, if so he won't cost a draft pick as he was an ufa.......

smith49
03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

I'm on board with this!!! Love Jackson. I think he's got plenty left in the tank as well. JMO

CoachChaz
03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm on board with this!!! Love Jackson. I think he's got plenty left in the tank as well. JMO

I think he proved that last year. The bonus is he wont have to carry the ball 280 times in our offense and I think he can be effective longer into the season.

Lancane
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Does anyone on this board honestly believe that Denver is going to dish out the money it would take to retain Jackson?

TXBRONC
03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Does anyone on this board honestly believe that Denver is going to dish out the money it would take to retain Jackson?

I don't think they will dish out the kind of cash it's going to take to bring in Jackson. I understand some people are not concerned about Jackson being used up but I don't see how that concern can just brushed aside just because he had a solid season last year. Including last season's 257 attempts Jackson has 2395 for his career.

Lancane
03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't think they will dish out the kind of cash it's going to take to bring in Jackson. I understand some people are not concerned about Jackson being used up but I don't see how that concern can just brushed aside just because he had a solid season last year. Including last season's 257 attempts Jackson has 2395 for his career.

My biggest thing TX is that the fans lose their ever lovin' minds come free agency and believe Denver is going to bring in people like Jackson, Wallace, Jennings, Revis, Long, Albert, Melton, Avril, Kruger, Phillips, Woodson, etc. We were linked to Manning early, similar to Shonn Greene this year which likely means he's Denver's primary free agent target this off-season, but I don't expect them to run the board on free agents. I've noticed they are the same when it comes to the draft, though the Broncos have shown little or no interest in those draft prospects that they want Denver to take...lmao.

NightTerror218
03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
My biggest thing TX is that the fans lose their ever lovin' minds come free agency and believe Denver is going to bring in people like Jackson, Wallace, Jennings, Revis, Long, Albert, Melton, Avril, Kruger, Phillips, Woodson, etc. We were linked to Manning early, similar to Shonn Greene this year which likely means he's Denver's primary free agent target this off-season, but I don't expect them to run the board on free agents. I've noticed they are the same when it comes to the draft, though the Broncos have shown little or no interest in those draft prospects that they want Denver to take...lmao.

I see them adding depth but no starters will come out of FA. We may be lucky and a player may give us a discount thinking we could make it to SB. I can see them going after 1 starter per FA and depth. We got Mcgahee 2 years ago, Manning last year and this year I could see a DT coming in and starting. I say DT because we are losing 2 of ours and I think Vickerson will be the only one to come back .

Lancane
03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I see them adding depth but no starters will come out of FA. We may be lucky and a player may give us a discount thinking we could make it to SB. I can see them going after 1 starter per FA and depth. We got Mcgahee 2 years ago, Manning last year and this year I could see a DT coming in and starting. I say DT because we are losing 2 of ours and I think Vickerson will be the only one to come back .

Actually, I believe we'll see the exact opposite, but not to the extent some might believe. Right now, IMHO, I see Denver going after Shonn Greene to possibly replace McGahee and Terrance Knighton to replace Bannan. Those are the two whom I feel Denver will be the most aggressive about obtaining in Free Agency. I expect them to re-sign Vickerson, Gronkowski, Stokely, Bruton, Carter and Hunter, maybe even re-sign Brooking as insurance. Wouldn't at all surprise me if they brought in Geoff Schwartz to compete against Kuper at right guard and for depth. Denver's first two picks are likely to be Cornerback and Wide Receiver, followed by Safety, Defensive Line and Offensive Line.

Tebowtime2011
03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
And chris ivory being injury prone doesn't scare you off at all?

Simple Jaded
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Shonn Greene sucks.......

Lancane
03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Shonn Greene sucks.......

Opinions vary...

TXBRONC
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM

I wouldn't mind if Denver persued Melton but it seems highly unlikely.

CoachChaz
03-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry, but Jackson would be affordable on a short deal and regadless of the "wear and tear" on him, he is significanty better than Greene or Bush or Ivory. He hasnt missed any significant playing time in 5 years and despite the "wear and tear" and playing behind a horrible line...he just cranks out 1000 yards every year.

Despite our record and success, this team has needs and we cant fill them all in the draft. With PM under center, our RB doesnt need to carry the ball 300 times. But he does need to be reliable, be able to catch and be able to block. He does all the things we currently get separately out of 4 running backs. Jackson would be a perfect back for this offense and he is available. Denver would be foolish to ignore that and hope they an find someone later in the draft.

As far as the Revis and Reed comments, the people that think we can acquire every great player out there can have all that crap. Jackson is a legit option at a reasonable price. Now whether they can lure him here is another situation altogether. But to piss on the idea as if it doesnt make sense and it's just a fantasy team dream to have him is ridiculous.

You guys want to talk about fans losing their minds over FA's and that's fine...people do that. But on the same hand there are people that lose their minds thinking some guy we pick up in the 4th or 5th is going to make a huge impact when the odds are against it. Every year there are a handful of people that come in here and proclaim a player to be the next piece of greatness and that player ends up doing nothing. It works both ways and personally...I'd prefer to go with what we know will work.

Lancane
03-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry, but Jackson would be affordable on a short deal and regadless of the "wear and tear" on him, he is significanty better than Greene or Bush or Ivory. He hasnt missed any significant playing time in 5 years and despite the "wear and tear" and playing behind a horrible line...he just cranks out 1000 yards every year.

Despite our record and success, this team has needs and we cant fill them all in the draft. With PM under center, our RB doesnt need to carry the ball 300 times. But he does need to be reliable, be able to catch and be able to block. He does all the things we currently get separately out of 4 running backs. Jackson would be a perfect back for this offense and he is available. Denver would be foolish to ignore that and hope they an find someone later in the draft.

As far as the Revis and Reed comments, the people that think we can acquire every great player out there can have all that crap. Jackson is a legit option at a reasonable price. Now whether they can lure him here is another situation altogether. But to piss on the idea as if it doesnt make sense and it's just a fantasy team dream to have him is ridiculous.

You guys want to talk about fans losing their minds over FA's and that's fine...people do that. But on the same hand there are people that lose their minds thinking some guy we pick up in the 4th or 5th is going to make a huge impact when the odds are against it. Every year there are a handful of people that come in here and proclaim a player to be the next piece of greatness and that player ends up doing nothing. It works both ways and personally...I'd prefer to go with what we know will work.

Jackson said that he wants to continue playing for the Rams, as he’s impressed by what coach Jeff Fisher has brought to the organization. Jackson sees a bright future for the team and said he’d like to be a part of it.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/rams_rumors_stephen_jackson_mulling_retirement/12524671

Per Jackson, he wants to stay in St. Louis, and I highly doubt Denver is going to lure him away unless the Rams outright refuse to give him a contract extention.

And fans do lose their minds when it comes to Free Agency and the Draft, the last blockbuster deal the Broncos benefited from was the one that brought Champ Bailey to Denver give the signing of Manning last off-season. Denver has always been the NFL's "island of misfit toys". Elway refused to play for Baltimore and got traded to the Broncos, our best wide receivers were an undrafted minor program quarterback, a third round pick who bounced from team to team early in his career, a fourth round pick that became an All-Pro Diva and Pain in the arse, the teams best pass rusher before Miller was also a mid round pick in Dumervil and before him...Karl Mecklenburg was selected in the 12th round and Simon Fletcher was a second round linebacker/defensive end hybrid who became the teams all-time sack leader. Our best tight end was selected in the 7th round, our best tailback in the sixth. In fact, Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright and Ryan Clady could be considered the best overall first round picks in Denver's history, while Pryce and Wilson deserve some recognition...I myself am hoping that Miller ends up being mentioned with the first five. Fans go loco over mid round and late round picks because throughout the history of the Broncos, the best teams have always consisted of re-treads and mid to late round picks. Tom Jackson, Steve Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Bill Romanowski, Karl Mecklenburg, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Keith Bishop, Tom Nalen, Mark Schlereth, Rich Jackson, Rubin Carter, Darrent Williams, Lionel Taylor, Brandon Marshall, Paul Smith, Eric Decker, Billy Thompson, Elvis Dumervil, Lyle Alzado, Wesley Woodyard and the list goes on and on.

Any fan of this team knows we find more gems later then we do early Coach, problem is those who think the most notorious draftees are better picks, Von Miller wasn't a popular pick but thus far he's better IMHO then those others wanted us to take. Case and point, Denver should have drafted Jackson, they took Williams instead...but the team got eight good seasons from Williams who was for a time our best linebacker.