PDA

View Full Version : How much moderation is too much (Part II)

topscribe
11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Okay, this is a good topic for a thread and should be kept going.

Let's see if we can keep this one on topic.

-----

Broncos Mtnman
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
How about when mods arbitrarily close threads....

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Perhaps when a person who falls "victim" to a personal attack(s) in the thread tries to defend themselves, but their posts are deleted and the bashing continues.

topscribe
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Perhaps when a person who falls "victim" to a personal attack(s) in the thread tries to defend themselves, but their posts are deleted and the bashing continues.

Because of your idiotic practice of having PMs turned off, I could not explain
to you why I deleted your post. But it was for your own protection since all
your post would have accomplished was to invite another onslaught.

But don't think for a minute that I took your side. I was moderating.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM

-----

My PM's have been on for a few days Top!

topscribe
11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
My PM's have been on for a few days Top!

I didn't realize that. I don't keep track of your profile.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I didn't realize that. I don't keep track of your profile.

-----

If you'd want to talk to me a little more (get this thread back on-topic) about the other thread, that'd be cool. :)

TXBRONC
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
If you'd want to talk to me a little more (get this thread back on-topic) about the other thread, that'd be cool. :)

You're not helping your own cause Dream.

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:53 PM
This isn't starting out very well.

Once the 'bell was rung' with dream...all bets were off on this thread topic!

Modding was abused on this thread by closing it. That's just me though.

Yes, it was off topic, but it was in direct response to a post made within the thread itself.

Subjective.

LordTrychon
11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I honestly have no idea what to say anymore.

topscribe
11-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Yes, it was off topic, but it was in direct response to a post made within the thread itself.

Subjective.

The discussion was waaaaay off topic and the dog pack was in action against
a poster, despite my pleas to the contrary. What else was I supposed to do?
You call it abuse. I call it having to do something because no one was listening
to me, and my not knowing what else to do.

I guess it escaped you that I immediately restarted the thread, even though
you just now posted in it?

BTW, where were you when the action was taking place?

-----

Rick
11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't always agree with the way the Modding is done here but TOP did exactly what he should have done in that thread.

It was no longer a thread about mod actions and was now exclusively a fight with Dream thread. He tried on several occasions for people to drop it, it wasn't so he closed it.

That is what is supposed to happen.

Dream may have opened the door on the other board but that does not mean the thread should continue to be derailed.

Top I have PMed you on occasions where I did not feel mods did the right thing in their actions, and we have not always agreed on the view of it. In this case though, you did right.

KCL
11-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Sure you do...now you know this is mild compared to GD on BM
when the Broncos lose.;)

DenBronx
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
hey can a mod be bribed?

i'll give one of you $5 to be my message board body guard. that means if i dont like someone you could then just do me a favor and delete their profile. kinda like they never existed? that would be greaaaaaaaat.

just kidding of course....you guys all do a great job for not getting paid. i know id hate to be a mod. work all day (12 hours a day, 7 days a week) then come here and deal with all the knuckle heads.

hey and for what its worth, i got ipd over at broncomania for something pretty silly and it was like water off a ducks back. i dont usually say anything unless i feel it was really unfair or just plain childish. ive got bigger fish to fry in the real world.

LordTrychon
11-16-2007, 06:28 AM

But I've decided to give it a shot.

How about when mods arbitrarily close threads....

I agree that mods shouldn't arbitrarily close threads. Fortunately, I don't believe I've ever witnessed that on this forum.

-----

Mods using the word 'idiotic'= usually bad. (Maybe not always though)

I'm sure I've done it before though too... it happens. Mods are humans too... and they're PEOPLE! Just like the rest of us!

Subjective.

The 'bell was rung' by someone other than Dream. He didn't exactly bring it on himself. Really, it shouldn't matter who started what. Mainly adults here, right? Just because someone starts a fight or 'rings a bell' doesn't mean that the forum rules get thrown out the window, does it? That would be odd.

Closing a thread when posters are continually violating the rules... AFTER being asked not to, and AFTER mentioning that the thread could be closed... hardly seems subjective. Seems more like the logical next step to me.

Sure you do...now you know this is mild compared to GD on BM
when the Broncos lose.;)

Eh... it's a tossup. ;)

hey can a mod be bribed?

i'll give one of you $5 to be my message board body guard. that means if i dont like someone you could then just do me a favor and delete their profile. kinda like they never existed? that would be greaaaaaaaat.

just kidding of course....you guys all do a great job for not getting paid. i know id hate to be a mod. work all day (12 hours a day, 7 days a week) then come here and deal with all the knuckle heads.

hey and for what its worth, i got ipd over at broncomania for something pretty silly and it was like water off a ducks back. i dont usually say anything unless i feel it was really unfair or just plain childish. ive got bigger fish to fry in the real world.

Your outlook is most certainly appreciated by mods on all sites, I'm sure.

SR
11-16-2007, 07:22 AM

I value you as a poster, really I do, but you need to quit trying to dictate how this site is run.

Jody
11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
I value you as a poster, really I do, but you need to quit trying to dictate how this site is run.

Thus far, this is the best post in this thread.

Mike
11-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't always agree with the way the Modding is done here but TOP did exactly what he should have done in that thread.

It was no longer a thread about mod actions and was now exclusively a fight with Dream thread. He tried on several occasions for people to drop it, it wasn't so he closed it.

That is what is supposed to happen.

Dream may have opened the door on the other board but that does not mean the thread should continue to be derailed.

Top I have PMed you on occasions where I did not feel mods did the right thing in their actions, and we have not always agreed on the view of it. In this case though, you did right.

Nice post. I agree with it. Top did the right thing in closing the thread. The members got their message/feelings across...further conversation was going nowhere and it was a good time to close it as it was going to lead to bigger problems.

LordTrychon
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

Thus far, this is the best post in this thread.

Thanks for the input.

Very constructive.

:welcome:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
LT - I appreciate your comments, from a mod's standpoint, as I know you have been there - done that. :salute:

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Nice post. I agree with it. Top did the right thing in closing the thread. The members got their message/feelings across...further conversation was going nowhere and it was a good time to close it as it was going to lead to bigger problems.

Yes some of the members got their points made but not all and many did not see the thread.

IMO it was a slap in the face to the forum and should be seen by all. By closing it it took it out of the loop. It should have been allowed to die a natural death, again IMHO.

Very few folks not on the forum at the time, would never go back to see something that is in the past.. Never know it is hear to see.

I saw no one come out to defend the post.. Perhaps someone would have.

Jody
11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input.

Very constructive.

:welcome:

Well, I'm not over on your board telling you how to handle business, I just left. I don't think it's right you being over here advising and judging members on this baord, especially in the light of why most are here. You spend all your time in this thread, advising, so it does not appear to me you actually want to be a part of this community. We'll have to just disagree strongly on this. I've been just as good of a member on either board as you, LT, and most know that to be true.

Rick - I can understand, as he does not know (innocently so) the history many posters here have with dream or BM. He's a good member here, thus I do respect his opinion, even if I don't agree with it.

LordTrychon
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, I'm not over on your board telling you how to handle business, I just left. I don't think it's right you being over here advising and judging members on this baord, especially in the light of why most are here. You spend all your time in this thread, advising, so it does not appear to me you actually want to be a part of this community. We'll have to just disagree strongly on this. I've been just as good of a member on either board as you, LT, and most know that to be true.

Rick - I can understand, as he does not know (innocently so) the history many posters here have with dream or BM. He's a good member here, thus I do respect his opinion, even if I don't agree with it.

While I don't understand your blatant bitterness towards me in particular, I'm not going to hold it against you.

Often times, on BM... I am 'part of the community' by simply moderating and not posting at all. Here, I've chosen to follow the discussions about the way the community is set up, and not much else. It's my choice, and it makes me no less a member.

If there came a time when a large majority of the members said they thought my input was worthless or they simply no wanted any more of it, I would gladly take my leave.

In the mean time, if it's that horrible for you to read me offering opinions, I will try not to be hurt if you decide to put me on 'ignore'. I'm sure that feature is offered on this board.

topscribe
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM

To the contrary, I appreciate Trychon's input here, and I do not think it is
proper to treat him as some kind of stranger here, as if this is "our" board
and the other one is "his." Last I looked, he is listed as a member here.

Rick - I can understand, as he does not know (innocently so) the history many posters here have with dream or BM. He's a good member here, thus I do respect his opinion, even if I don't agree with it.Are you talking about me? When I left BM, I had 20,000+ posts and was the
all-time points leader on the board. I go back with Dream all the way to
Broncology. I don't know the history?

And I was not expressing an opinion. I was doing my job, you know, the one
I stayed with.

-----

Jody
11-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Are you talking about me? When I left BM, I had 20,000+ posts and was the
all-time points leader on the board. I go back with Dream all the way to
Broncology. I don't know the history?

And I was not expressing an opinion. I was doing my job, you know, the one
I stayed with.

-----

On the contrary, Tops, I am very kind. If you appreciate him, then you appreciate his input, then you do, but you cannot expect everyone to think and feel the same way you do about everything. On the contrary, I believed it was LT that was rude to the members on this board. Yet, so we agree to strongly disagree. And I made 'no' reference to you in my last post, so I don't know why you associated that post to anything about you, tops.

topscribe
11-16-2007, 06:20 PM
On the contrary, Tops, I am very kind. If you appreciate him, then you appreciate his input, then you do, but you cannot expect everyone to think and feel the same way you do about everything. On the contrary, I believed it was LT that was rude to the members on this board. Yet, so we agree to strongly disagree. And I made 'no' reference to you in my last post, so I don't know why you associated that post to anything about you, tops.

You referred to Rick's post, and Rick talked about me, unless I missed another
post of his. But that is neither here nor there. You know I like you and you
like me, no matter when and where we disagree.

However, I have seen absolutely nowhere, where Trychon was anything
smacking of rude to anyone on this board. In fact, he has been very
pleasant, IMO. And I will repeat my open-arms welcome to him, which I
would venture to guess is shared by virtually everyone else here.

-----

Tned
11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
While I don't understand your blatant bitterness towards me in particular, I'm not going to hold it against you.

Often times, on BM... I am 'part of the community' by simply moderating and not posting at all. Here, I've chosen to follow the discussions about the way the community is set up, and not much else. It's my choice, and it makes me no less a member.

If there came a time when a large majority of the members said they thought my input was worthless or they simply no wanted any more of it, I would gladly take my leave.

In the mean time, if it's that horrible for you to read me offering opinions, I will try not to be hurt if you decide to put me on 'ignore'. I'm sure that feature is offered on this board.

As I haven't had as much time as I would like to post here or on BM, most of my posting on BM in the last couple months have been in the BM feedback forum. Except for my little run in with Jwinn and Alastor, I have tried to provide constructive input and feedback. Much like what I think you are doing here.

Az Snake
11-17-2007, 09:03 PM

-----

I agree topscribe.

I also agree with LDB's previous post. Very good LDB !

We were warned several times, the thing got out of hand, you had to do your job.

LT was merely trying to help by offering his advice and experience.

I at no time sensed "rudeness" or a desire to dictate.

I interpreted LT's input as constructive criticism from a member.

I admit that I was instrumental in instigating the debacle, because I should have known that the statement that I quoted was potentially irritating, although it was humorous and ironic to me, I had no idea it would get that vicious.

While I don't regret posting "The Facts Jack", I do regret that as the dog-pile ensued, topscribe's warnings were not heeded and it was starting to get really ugly fast, fueled by very emotional energy. There was no other option than to close it.

So LT,

Sorry for the negative comments you have received LT, I know that you are a valuable poster and a stand up guy.

Since I've known you so long, I also know that a Sith's skin is so tough that you most likely haven't got your feelings hurt.

:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2007, 09:17 PM

-----

It definitely is shared by me :amen:

LordTrychon
11-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for those of you who voiced your support via this thread or PM. It's most certainly appreciated, and brightens my day. :salute:

That said, let's try to get back on topic...

How much exactly is TOO MUCH of Topscribe and Carol? :confused:

:laugh:

KCL
11-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for those of you who voiced your support via this thread or PM. It's most certainly appreciated, and brightens my day. :salute:

Not enough...maybe you could do double duty and mod here.;)

topscribe
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM

I can't speak for Carol, but my wife thinks she's had too much of me as soon as I walk into the room. :pound:

-----

LordTrychon
11-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I can't speak for Carol, but my wife thinks she's had too much of me as soon as I walk into the room. :pound:

-----

*gives a virtual high five*

dogfish
11-17-2007, 10:00 PM

-----

I have seen absolutely nowhere, where Trychon was anything

-----

absolutely! i made a lot of good friends on BM, and i personally hate the idea of it being "us against them". . . i don't at all like what STEVE did to that board, but i myself generally had a lot of respect for almost all of the mods over there, and as far as i'm concerned they are MORE than welcome to participate in our community over here. . . they are good posters and good people, and i believe that LT has a sincere interst in seeing how this little experiment develops. . . i think the knowledge of someone who has "been there, done that" can be a very useful contribution to a thread like this. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2007, 10:03 PM

LT - you AIN'T seen nuttin yet - :fight:

LordTrychon
11-17-2007, 10:23 PM
LT - you AIN'T seen nuttin yet - :fight:

Oh yeah?

What are ya gonna do?

IP me?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah?

What are ya gonna do?

IP me?

I'm still a member you know where :cool:

LordTrychon
11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm still a member you know where :cool:

lol...

You should post there more. ;)

Seriously though... as far as 'how much moderation is too much'... I think giving out IPs on one site to spite someone on another would fall under the category of 'slightly over the line'.

I think it would likely also increase the number of members here who... shall we say... are less than appreciative of my presence here. :D

topscribe
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Okay, I would like to make a little explanation here.

The Mods have been recipients and topics of PMs, posts, and little snipes
about how often we edit and delete posts and threads, and close other
threads, and how that is evident of a common "power trip" among us.

To those who feel this way, do you understand the alternatives? Many of
us, in the past, have been the objects of IPs, suspensions, and bannings
elsewhere. When we Mods encounter personal attacks, obscenities, and
other violations of the Rules and Guidelines, we have to do something, or
we are not doing our jobs.

The reason we opt for editing and deleting is a sign of reaching out to our
members and trying to show some understanding and leniency here. That is
not to say that you can't push us to submit you to the Advisory Board for
more stringent action. But we are just trying to be positive here.

You even have an avenue of appeal here, to a body (Advisory Board) who
represents YOU, the poster, because it is made up of, well, posters. If you
feel you have been treated unjustly by one of us Mods, you can submit
your case to the Board, of which we Mods will have no part. We are not
even privy to the Board's discussion in such a case.

If you don't like our policy of editing and deleting posts and closing threads,
let us know. If we get enough feedback on it, who knows? . . .we may go
to the alternatives.

Is that what we really want? :coffee:

-----

saddletramp
12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Okay, this is a good topic for a thread and should be kept going.

Let's see if we can keep this one on topic.

-----

any moderation is too much.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/Saddletramp69/SMILEYS/rofl2.gif

atwater27
01-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I totally dig this site and am a happy new member. My input tp this topic is this... The P and R thread is pretty heavily policed, and IMO that should not be the case. There are disclaimers and such, plus the heavy topics are bound to illicit strong, heartfelt, and occasionally personal reactions. It's just part of the territory. I am not saying you guys should let it slip down to the orange mane level, which last time I checked was basically a no holds barred chainsaw death match, but I would say it's slightly extreme how much moderating is spent on that particular area. I know, I'm new but i been around the broncos discussion forums block enough to have a solid opinion on it. You know, if someone really felt the need to spend alot of time there, a much better use would be to do factchecking on some of the pathologically ..... er... incorrect "facts" you see thrown around in there quite a bit. That would be pretty cool. "Post deleted due to its factually innacurate nature. Please check your facts before further posting. Further postings of this nature could result in infractions or banning in the future."
Oh man, I crack myself up.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I totally dig this site and am a happy new member. My input tp this topic is this... The P and R thread is pretty heavily policed, and IMO that should not be the case. There are disclaimers and such, plus the heavy topics are bound to illicit strong, heartfelt, and occasionally personal reactions. It's just part of the territory. I am not saying you guys should let it slip down to the orange mane level, which last time I checked was basically a no holds barred chainsaw death match, but I would say it's slightly extreme how much moderating is spent on that particular area. I know, I'm new but i been around the broncos discussion forums block enough to have a solid opinion on it. You know, if someone really felt the need to spend alot of time there, a much better use would be to do factchecking on some of the pathologically ..... er... incorrect "facts" you see thrown around in there quite a bit. That would be pretty cool. "Post deleted due to its factually innacurate nature. Please check your facts before further posting. Further postings of this nature could result in infractions or banning in the future."
Oh man, I crack myself up.

Thank you for your input. It is always appreciated, sincerely.

P&R is heavily modded because it can get very ugly in a hurry there. We
have no choice. But the only time we edit or delete, as a usual rule, is when
post become personal, or excessive profanity or vulgarity is implememted . . .
at least, that's how I do it, and that is what I have witnessed from the
other Mods.

P&R is a section that is constantly under review. It was not unanimous from
the start that it should even be a part of this message board, and it is
subject to being taken down at any time. As it stands, however, it looks as
if it will be here for a while. For the most part, we have witnessed some
pretty responsible posters (if sometimes inaccurate, as you alluded), and
intervention is needed less than I originally envisioned.

While the Mods do watch P&R closely and lurk extensively, we try to be as
hands off as we can in our invasive measures and will continue to do so.
But we will continue to watch it closely. :smile:

-----

atwater27
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
P&R is a section that is constantly under review. It was not unanimous from
the start that it should even be a part of this message board, and it is
subject to being taken down at any time. As it stands, however, it looks as
if it will be here for a while. For the most part, we have witnessed some
pretty responsible posters (if sometimes inaccurate, as you alluded), and
intervention is needed less than I originally envisioned.

While the Mods do watch P&R closely and lurk extensively, we try to be as
hands off as we can in our invasive measures and will continue to do so.
But we will continue to watch it closely. :smile:

-----
Cool.
I have one suggestion though. If you guys are considering eliminating the P and R, seriously.... don't do it. Alot of us are here to make the place a community and talk about EVERYTHING together. Eliminating that aspect would really hurt your site. Just about every site like this has a politics thread, because there is a demand for it. Eliminating something that is in demand makes absolutely no sense on any level, especially if your goal is to attract more posters.

SR
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Cool.
I have one suggestion though. If you guys are considering eliminating the P and R, seriously.... don't do it. Alot of us are here to make the place a community and talk about EVERYTHING together. Eliminating that aspect would really hurt your site. Just about every site like this has a politics thread, because there is a demand for it. Eliminating something that is in demand makes absolutely no sense on any level, especially if your goal is to attract more posters.

I was thinking the same thing. What would the basis of deleting P&R be? Because sometimes it gets a little personal? Because you guys don't want guests/potential future members to see any heated discussion because it might taint the image of the website? Because you want everything to appear hunkey dorey? P&R is great. Damn near every message board I'm on has a P&R section.

atwater27
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Alot of administrators and mods don't want to admit that those threads actually provide as much if not more interest and spirited debate than the broncos part of it. Hell, just look at the post counts on these threads.

Mike
01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Cool.

As long as I am around I will always advocate for the continuance of P&R. I remember how upset I was when another site that I used to frequent got rid of P&R.

I feel comfortable saying that the people of this board will have input on the topic before/if a decision is made to remove that forum.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to alarm you on P&R. What I tried to express is that, as it
stands, it doesn't look as if the forum is going anywhere. I certainly don't
want it to . . . I'm one who likes the forum . . . but then I don't have a vote
on the Advisory Board, who in the end would decide whether it goes or stays.

However, I don't see where they are even discussing it or have any intention
to discuss it. So I wouldn't worry about it right now. We do see the forum's
value here, too. :beer:

-----

Lonestar
Cool.

I was thinking the same thing. What would the basis of deleting P&R be? Because sometimes it gets a little personal? Because you guys don't want guests/potential future members to see any heated discussion because it might taint the image of the website? Because you want everything to appear hunkey dorey? P&R is great. Damn near every message board I'm on has a P&R section.

From my MOD vantage this is the area that we get the most by far reported posts..

Many of them justified by the current COC that is now under review.. If that changes then it is less likely to be an issue..

It is hot spot that needs to be watched. We are member driven and if you believe the COC should be loosened then voice your Opinions to do so the advisory board is listening..

Rex
Eliminating the P&R will only result in that talk filtering through all the other threads.

SR
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
From my MOD vantage this is the area that we get the most by far reported posts..

Many of them justified by the current COC that is now under review.. If that changes then it is less likely to be an issue..

It is hot spot that needs to be watched. We are member driven and if you believe the COC should be loosened then voice your Opinions to do so the advisory board is listening..

I don't think anything with the CoC is going to change, regardless of how much anyone grips, so I won't waste my finger energy.

Mike
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think anything with the CoC is going to change, regardless of how much anyone grips, so I won't waste my finger energy.

People should always feel free to let us know their thoughts. That doesn't mean that those changes will be implemented...but their thoughts will be taken into consideration.

Telling them not to waste their energy seems to stymie that policy. ;)

Lonestar
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM

People should always feel free to let us know their thoughts. That doesn't mean that those changes will be implemented...but their thoughts will be taken into consideration.

Telling them not to waste their energy seems to stymie that policy. ;)

I agree with out your input there can be no changes..

This group of Advisors are pretty good at listening.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with out your input there can be no changes..

This group of Advisors are pretty good at listening.

Yes, our Board of Advisors is very concerned about what the community as a
whole thinks. The input of the posters here weighs very heavily on their
decisions. As I explained before in these threads, the attitudes of the members
of the Board is that they represent YOU, the posters here. This is the way it
was set up, and it seems to be working out pretty well that way.

Yes, and the Rules and Guidelines are presently under review, and some
changes will be made, and the opinions here are indeed influencing those
changes.

-----

Tned
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM

We are asking for feedback for a reason, not as some kind of feel-good farce.

The advisory board is looking for input from the membership to see if the posting rules/guidelines should be changed based on what our members want.

SR
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
P&R isn't the problem. The people reporting the posts are the problem. People report stupid crap. Threads get off topic. People who post in P&R as passionate about their beliefs and it's bound to get a little tense. That isn't something that moderators need to feel obligated to try to stop or moderate. It's going to happen regardless of who reports posts or how many times mods step in and say "stop flaming each other and get back on topic". If attracting more members is the goal of this website, make the forums off limit to people who aren't registered users. If people want to be a part of this site, they will register regardless of if they get a change to take a gander before hand or not.

I don't see any reason to moderate that forum unless threads go from talking about Presidential Elections to stepping on gum while on vacation in Turks and Caicos or if it gets down to personal attacks. In that case, all a mod has to do is use the handy dandy "close thread" option.

However, as I've always said, case by case basis. Or, maybe we should do like a lot of forums do and assign moderators to certain groups of forums. It's easier to do that than have moderators flying around all over the place just trying to find things that violate the CoC.

If the advisors want to do things, they need to do things. Start making polls asking for votes, take a day or two to talk about the poll results amongst yourselfs, and take some action.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Public polls are not good. The questions in the polls can be worded (either
intentionally or unintentionally) to elicit a certain response. It is better to get
the written responses and opinions of the posters so we can get their true
opinions.

Regarding the moderation of P&R, I assure you that it will continue to be
closely moderated as long as personal attacks and excessive profanity abound,
to which I don't see an end there. Popular or not, that is a dire necessity.
It's better than the alternative . . . :coffee:

-----

SR
01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Public polls are not good. The questions in the polls can be worded (either
intentionally or unintentionally) to elicit a certain response. It is better to get
the written responses and opinions of the posters so we can get their true
opinions.

Regarding the moderation of P&R, I assure you that it will continue to be
closely moderated as long as personal attacks and excessive profanity abound,
to which I don't see an end there. Popular or not, that is a dire necessity.
It's better than the alternative . . . :coffee:

-----

Public polls ARE good. They give us regular folk an idea of what people are working on and it gives those who 'make the decisions' a chance to hear people out. If the advisory board wants people's opinion on stuff, then they need to be proactive in getting it, otherwise nothing will get done.

Excessive profanity in P&R? Last time I checked, the language filters haven't changed. If you want to see less profanity, have tned filter out compound curse words.

Also top, it isn't your decision as to whether or not P&R will be moderated so strictly or not. Last time I checked, that was the job of the advisory board...

dogfish
01-02-2008, 03:06 PM
If the advisors want to do things, they need to do things. Start making polls asking for votes, take a day or two to talk about the poll results amongst yourselfs, and take some action.

If the advisory board wants people's opinion on stuff, then they need to be proactive in getting it, otherwise nothing will get done.

just so you know, we're not looking to make a bunch of changes just for the sake of changing. . . if enough people want something, they can let us know-- that's what this forum is for. . . i've got better things to do with my time than constantly making threads just fishing for people's opinions. . .

SR
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
just so you know, we're not looking to make a bunch of changes just for the sake of changing. . . if enough people want something, they can let us know-- that's what this forum is for. . . i've got better things to do with my time than constantly making threads just fishing for people's opinions. . .

If you don't want to proactively make this board better, you shouldn't be on the board of advisors.

Holy nice avatar, by the way. :eek:

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Public polls ARE good. They give us regular folk an idea of what people are working on and it gives those who 'make the decisions' a chance to hear people out. If the advisory board wants people's opinion on stuff, then they need to be proactive in getting it, otherwise nothing will get done.

Excessive profanity in P&R? Last time I checked, the language filters haven't changed. If you want to see less profanity, have tned filter out compound curse words.

Also top, it isn't your decision as to whether or not P&R will be moderated so strictly or not. Last time I checked, that was the job of the advisory board...

No, it is my decision. And I do moderate it closely and will continue to do so.
But I don't believe I am particularly invasive there. I keep close tabs, but
I take pains not to disrupt anything. If you think I do, then you are in the
minority because I have gotten many PMs of appreciation as to how I do
things.

And I believe the Board has been very good lately in getting things done.

-----

BroncoJoe
01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow. I didn't realize those words above aren't filtered. Why is **** filtered? (that would be d i c k)

My .02 is if people really have skin thin enough to be "insulted" on an internet board or a specific thread, they should simply stay out of said thread.

DallasChief
01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
My motto in moderating has always been that "less is best" .

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 03:13 PM
My motto in moderating has always been that "less is best" .

It really is hard staying on topic when DC lays one out there like that...

As far as P&R. I enjoy the conversations, as long as it doesn't turn into name calling. I've been guilty of it in the past, but I have not done so on this forum, and plan on not doing so in the future. It's good discussion, and I love being on this board (gives me something to do during downtime at work...which is quite a bit) and I can't discuss the fourth string cornerback for hours at a time, I just can't do it. So giving us other stuff to talk about is a good thing. It keeps me coming back to the board. If this was eliminated, then the posts would just pop up somewhere else, most likely in the "What's on your mind" Forum.

SR
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
things.

-----

It is not your decision! If it is, then why the hell do we have a board of advisors? If people vote to loosen up moderation in the P&R and the advisory board says they agree, you're up the creek without a paddle because, guess what, you relinquish the power to make those decisions to the board of advisors.

You do a great job moderating and I've told you that before, but when it comes to making decisions as to how this board is run, you're powerless.

Tned
01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
things.

-----

It's Top's (and the other mods) job to moderate to the Forum Rules, which state that personal attacks and flaming are not allowed.

As to proactive, that is what this thread is about: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7047

We are asking for input on whether people think we hit the mark with the rules, or if we are too lenient or too strict. If people don't give us feedback, then we can't make a good decision as to whether the rules need to be modified.

As to polls. They simply don't work. People vote in polls before reading the discussion that accompanies them, which is why you often see, "I voted xxxxx, but after reading xxxxxx, I would probably vote different now."

If the only feedback/input a person is willing to give is to click a poll, then that's not good enough. We need discussion, like you are providing in this thread, by people explaining what they think should be cahnged, and why.

Threads like the one I linked above are there to allow members of this forum to give the advisory board input, so we can make changes if that is what we believe the both the majority of people want and is in the best interest of the message board.

Unfortunately, most people are not taking advantage of their opportunity to provide input.

Tned
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
It is not your decision! If it is, then why the hell do we have a board of advisors? If people vote to loosen up moderation in the P&R and the advisory board says they agree, you're up the creek without a paddle because, guess what, you relinquish the power to make those decisions to the board of advisors.

You do a great job moderating and I've told you that before, but when it comes to making decisions as to how this board is run, you're powerless.

SR, the mods enforce the rules that are in place. There is a certain amount of interpretation that takes place, and that is what Top is talking about. He and the mods decide what flies and doesn't fly in P&R (and other forums), based on the rules that are in place. If we (advisory board, based on input from all forum members) change the rules, such as making them more lenient, then the mods will enforce the new, more lenient rules. Until there are rules changes. the mods have to enforce the current rules.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Where and how I moderate is not a Board of Advisors issue, unless I go over
the top on something, or a poster disagrees with how I handled things.
Then the poster has the right to appeal it to the Advisory Board, who
represents that poster at that point.

I do have to do it within the parameters of the rules, of course.

But legislating as to where I go on the message board and how I do would
be a very messy proposition. There is no way to detail that. I either do a
good job at what I do and stay, or I do not, and I leave. That would be
decided by the Board at that time. But getting down to where I can go and
what I can do here and there is out of the question. I think they know that,
not because I say so, but because the Board is composed of people who
have some common sense.

-----

dogfish
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
If you don't want to proactively make this board better, you shouldn't be on the board of advisors.

Holy nice avatar, by the way. :eek:

you're the only person who has ever suggested that, but you're welcome to campaign for the spot if you want to spend all of your time on the board trying to fish out people's opinions instead of posting. . . truth is, even the discussion threads we post usually get a few days worth of responses and then die. . . .

oh, and that's kate beckinsale. . . . ;)

SR
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, most people are not taking advantage of their opportunity to provide input.

That's because people want to just be able to come here and post without having to worry about the behind the scenes stuff. Personally, I just want to come here and post, that's why I stepped down as a moderator and do not participate much with the advisory board. I don't care about that stuff enough to really want to make any kind of lasting impact. I come here, as do others, to escape the day to day grind of life. I deal with enough decision making and political BS on a daily basis...no need for me to come here and deal with it too.

If you want my honest to God opinion, people need to loosen up. Regardless of what happens in P&R, at the end of the day we all have one of two things in common; we love the Broncos and/or football. I don't hold grudges on anyone based on discussions in P&R. If you can't take the heat...

SR
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
oh, and that's kate beckinsale. . . . ;)

Damn right it is. :D

Mike
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Sorry, SR. The advisory board does not tell us how to moderate. They exist to represent the people of the board.

And the COC does not end where P&R begins. We will continue to moderate it within those boundaries.

SR
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry, SR. The advisory board does not tell us how to moderate. They exist to represent the people of the board.

If typed out about 7 different things and deleted them all.

What has the advisory board accomplished thus far?

Mike
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM

To the first...huh? :confused:

To the second...what has been brought to them?

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:41 PM

I think that's a question best asked of the Advisory Board itself.

-----

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I have no issues. If you tell me once and I don't listen, ban me. You know when you are told to be careful, you are getting close. If you continue, you push your own fate. I've been there, been banned 4 timer at the Freak. I always knew it was coming and even banned myself one time for 3 days cause I had a complete meltdown in a thread and asked to banned. There was one time Me and Beef got banned for 3 days for making fun a guy that git struck by lightning on a roof and died. It was apparently one of the MODS friends, we had no clue. But we sent the MOD flowers in Canada and he lifted the Ban...Ha..

I don't take bannings personal any more. I know when I got it coming. I read every post before I hit the reply button. I know what I wrote, everybody else does too.

SR
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
To the first...huh? :confused:

To the second...what has been brought to them?

You made a post, then deleted it. I had a whole bunch of different responses written out, but I deleted them after I got done typing them because I started off with a point, and just digressed from the beginning.

And don't answer a question with a question. Plenty of things have been brought to their attention, I'm sure. The biggest thing that stands out to me that has been done is the increased size limits for avatars. You're welcome. Aside from that, I honestly don't know what they've done. It's not a crack on them, I'm just asking what good has come from them.

SR
01-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I think that's a question best asked of the Advisory Board itself.

-----

Why? If they're here to represent 'the people', isn't it kind of fair for 'the people' to know what the people who represent them are up to? Don't you like knowing what Congress is up to?

Mike
01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
You made a post, then deleted it. I had a whole bunch of different responses written out, but I deleted them after I got done typing them because I started off with a point, and just digressed from the beginning.

And don't answer a question with a question. Plenty of things have been brought to their attention, I'm sure. The biggest thing that stands out to me that has been done is the increased size limits for avatars. You're welcome. Aside from that, I honestly don't know what they've done. It's not a crack on them, I'm just asking what good has come from them.

I posted it then realized that tned and top posted theirs before me so I deleted it. Sorry to waste your time. :D

What are you, my wife? She always tells me not to answer a question with a question. I will say the same thing to you....why?:eviltongue:

I will state it again...the advisory board exists to represent the people. What can be expected to be accomplished when no real problems have been presented? Just because you haven't seen anything "good" out of them thus far doesn't mean that nothing "good" will ever come from them. We just haven't reached a point that they have had to be utilized (which is a good thing IMO).

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Why? If they're here to represent 'the people', isn't it kind of fair for 'the people' to know what the people who represent them are up to? Don't you like knowing what Congress is up to?

Sure, but if I want to know what congress is doing, I'll ask Congress.

We Mods are not voting members of the Advisory Board. In fact, we are not
privy even to all their conversations in their capacity. So, if you want to know
what they have done, then ask them, not us Mods.

-----

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't see any moderation problems on this site. Where we came from, it was horrible to say the least and the guy that ran the place was never there. It was so unorganized. This place has better structure and is ran 10 times better than the place we came from.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't see any moderation problems on this site. Where we came from, it was horrible to say the least and the guy that ran the place was never there. It was so unorganized. This place has better structure and is ran 10 times better than the place we came from.

Thanks Mom. :D

Seriously, that is exaclty what we want. We Mods are posters, too. So are
those on the Advisory Board. So is Tned (God bless his confused soul). We
want to enjoy it here as well. :beer:

-----

DallasChief
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Butt kisser

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Butt kisser

Still got some butt left. :D

-----

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Butt kisser

Oh bite my ass troll...:D That allowed your sorry ass there, see what I mean. The place was a mess!!!:elefant:

DallasChief
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh bite my ass troll...:D That allowed your sorry ass there, see what I mean. The place was a mess!!!:elefant:

Well, they're allowing me here too. :D

topscribe
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Now you see, that's what I'm talking about.

We need more love like this on the boards. :kiss:

-----

Mike
01-02-2008, 03:59 PM

That can be taken care of.

How much is it worth? :ponder:

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

I'll fix that...:cool: Pretty soon your little reply box will be gone!!!!

DallasChief
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I'll fix that...:cool: Pretty soon your little reply box will be gone!!!!

There's a Chiefs fan on the board. I'm golden. :cool:

topscribe
01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
There's a Chiefs fan on the board. I'm golden. :cool:

Yes, I just checked and kcvet is on the board.

Is that what you meant? :dance:

-----

Rex
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I got banned at the Freak for a thread that was a joke....about a guy who was in on it.

I have no problems with the mods here.

dogfish
01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

do you have a SPECIFIC question about some issue. . . ?

if you think that anyone from the advisory board is gonna spend their time typing out a detailed summary of everything we do, you my friend are sadly mistaken. . . . :D

:beer:

seriously though, that's what we're here for-- to deal with issues raised by the community. . . NOT to go around looking for things that can be changed- we're not the MB version of spiderman, swinging around looking for crimes to fight. . . i understand that you, and some other individuals, want the standards for moderation loosened in P+R-- but remember, for rules to be changed we have to feel that it's something that the majority of the community wants, not a few vocal individuals. . . i'll read back through this thread and see if i'm missing something, but at first glance it doesn't look to me like there's exactly a public outcry. . .

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I got banned at the Freak for a thread that was a joke....about a guy who was in on it.

I have no problems with the mods here.

i got called a butt kisser, careful. :D

atwater27
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I got banned from the freak for making fun of Kurt Warner's wife.

frauschieze
01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
My two cents on polls:

I am not sure about here, but at the Freak, we had quite a few members who fairly quiet (unlike me) and didn’t post a lot. However, these guys still logged in everyday or close to it. Now, as outspoken as I am here, I’m not very active on the political front. But I still do my research on the candidates and I still votes in all the elections. I still have an opportunity to have ‘my voice heard’ but I don’t have to talk a lot. And I like it that way. I think it would be nice to let some of the quieter voices on this forum still have their say in this manner. I can sympathize with the difficulties a poll on a forum can cause and I don’t have a lot of answers to those problems. One thing might be to have the discussion thread long before the poll so those vocal members can have their say. Then have the official poll. No thread. No discussion. No changing your vote if you change your mind.

Just something to chew on anyway. I’m pretty happy with the way things are around here and at the moment, can’t think of anything I’d want to change.

Tned
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM

That's a fair question, I am at work, and only popping in here or there, so I can't give a detailed response, but a few of the things:

Set the forum rules
Discusssed and Voted in board replacements
Discussed and Voted in moderator replacements
Defined limited moderator banning privelages and guidelines how they can be used
In the process (waiting on further feedback in town hall thread) of creating suspension/banning guidelines
In the process (waiting on further feedack in town hall thread) of reviewing the forum posting rules/guidelines.
Decided on the paramaters of the Mile High Salute system (after getting input, proposing a system, getting more input and refining the original proposal)
Have had to discuss and at times resolve certain complaints or concerns raised about moderator actions, such as sig removals.
Loosened up some words that were originally in the profanity filter

There are a few other things we are discussing at the moment. We don't spend every hour of every day legislating, we deal with problems or suggestions as they arise, in the same way that the admin would do on his own in most forums.

BroncoBJ
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
The Mods on this forum Pwn. :salute:

Tned
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
That's a fair question, I am at work, and only popping in here or there, so I can't give a detailed response, but a few of the things:

Set the forum rules
Discusssed and Voted in board replacements
Discussed and Voted in moderator replacements
Defined limited moderator banning privelages and guidelines how they can be used
In the process (waiting on further feedback in town hall thread) of creating suspension/banning guidelines
In the process (waiting on further feedack in town hall thread) of reviewing the forum posting rules/guidelines.
Decided on the paramaters of the Mile High Salute system (after getting input, proposing a system, getting more input and refining the original proposal)
Have had to discuss and at times resolve certain complaints or concerns raised about moderator actions, such as sig removals.
Loosened up some words that were originally in the profanity filter

There are a few other things we are discussing at the moment. We don't spend every hour of every day legislating, we deal with problems or suggestions as they arise, in the same way that the admin would do on his own in most forums.

I should add, that our goal (on the advisory board) is not to make change, just for the sake of justifyig our existance, but instead to deal with problems/complaints that arise, and try and make changes as the forum matures, so that we do the best possible job of making a place that is in line with what our members want. If that means we go weeks or months without making a change, then great. If it is days between having to make decisions, then so be it.

we are just trying to enjoy the forum like everyone else, but when it comes time to make a decision about a change, then rather than me making the call unilaterally, the advisory board makes the call.

If there is a need for major changes (rules changes, salute systems, etc.) that we know people are very passionate about, then we will create a town hall discussion first, or create a proposal and then post it for comment, before finalizing it.

LordTrychon
01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
The Mods on this forum Pwn. :salute:

Oh?

And what exactly do they 'Pwn.'?

dogfish
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh?

wel, they don't pwn their TVs to buy 40 oz.s-- unlike some other mods out there, i'm told. . . .

Lonestar
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh?

I thought I was the only one not to know this term..

LordTrychon
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
wel, they don't pwn their TVs to buy 40 oz.s-- unlike some other mods out there, i'm told. . . .

:cheeky:

(Fine... that was a pretty good one... took me a while to catch though)

I thought I was the only one not to know this term..

I was just teasing him... 'Pwn' is 'leet speak' or '133+'... gamer talk for 'own'.

He was saying you 'Own' me, Jr...

I simply couldn't let it stand.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
:cheeky:

(Fine... that was a pretty good one... took me a while to catch though)

I was just teasing him... 'Pwn' is 'leet speak' or '133+'... gamer talk for 'own'.

He was saying you 'Own' me, Jr...

I simply couldn't let it stand.

I gave you your freedom and the Turbo . . . and now JR owns you? :shocked:

What a waste . . . :tsk:

Well, JR, he's good at waxing floors and polishing the car. Just see he takes
care of the Turbo, okay? :wave:

-----

LordTrychon
01-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I gave you your freedom and the Turbo . . . and now JR owns you? :shocked:

What a waste . . . :tsk:

Well, JR, he's good at waxing floors and polishing the car. Just see he takes
care of the Turbo, okay? :wave:

-----

NO!

I was rebelling!

I'm don't WANNA be pwnd! I'm don't WANNA be pwnd!

:tsk: :mad:

Damnit.