PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams to be cut.

Superchop 7
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Per PFT, Broncos are parting ways with DJ Williams, I dont like the cap hit, but DJ must have said no to a restructure......

SoCalImport
03-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Per PFT, Broncos are parting ways with DJ Williams, I dont like the cap hit, but DJ must have said no to a restructure......

I won't assume that he was offered a restructure (unless I missed something). The Broncos obviously have a plan and all signs right now point to either Irving or Steve Johnson (maybe even Travien?) or they've got someone targeted for Aprils draft.

SoCalImport
03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
that being said I wish there was a way to make it work with DJ. Sucks he's never managed to control his destructive impulses for long. Probably best for both if he goes elsewhere.

Northman
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
We might be seeing Teo afterall.

LTC Pain
03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Rotoworld indicates the same but also that the Broncos will try and trade DJ once the new football year starts on 12 March. The DP mentions the Texans, Redskins, Raiders, Falcons, and Ravens as suitors.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2664/dj-williams

Northman
03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Rotoworld indicates the same but also that the Broncos will try and trade DJ once the new football year starts on 12 March. The DP mentions the Texans, Redskins, Raiders, Falcons, and Ravens as suitors.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2664/dj-williams

Yea, he's servicable enough to maybe get a 4th or 5th round pick for. Hopefully they can gain something like that for him.

BroncoNut
03-03-2013, 10:47 AM
We might be seeing Teo afterall.

I'm not so sure I like Teo that much. He's overrated like most ND players. but it does seem like a move that suggests something like that. Dont' think we reach for Manti

Northman
03-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm not so sure I like Teo that much. He's overrated like most ND players. but it does seem like a move that suggests something like that. Dont' think we reach for Manti

Im not sold on him either but if its true that he is a late first round pick we could see Denver taking him. Im hoping we go with another position and take Minter later.

Lancane
03-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I doubt Denver drafts Te'o at this point, he's the only linebacker the team has shown any interest in, which could mean it's a complete novelty idea.

SoCalImport
03-03-2013, 11:27 AM
near as I can see, the only REAL knock on te'o is his bad game against the National champs. His is one name I'd be pretty excited to hear called when we pick at 28. I trust that Elway wouldn't do it if he had concerns about fake GFs and 40 yd times.

Chef Zambini
03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
DJ...
this is a sad tale.
i wish him well, maybe a fresh start in a new setting is the proper prescription.
as for Man tie te OW ?
JFE better be concerned about an undersized, slow ILB playing on a D where the LBs are expected to make plays !
I personnaly hope we can make better use of our first pick in the draft !
yes he had just one very ugly game, but it was a big one and a reflection of the kind of talent he will face EVERY WEEK in the NFL.
sorry, but unless he makes a better showing at his pro day...
in the words of andy reid and shanahan.... PASS !

Dapper Dan
03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Would DJ's contract hurt our chances of a trade?

OrangeHoof
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't see the Texans as being interested. They are right against the cap already and DJ won't be worth breaking the bank for.

spikerman
03-03-2013, 12:27 PM
near as I can see, the only REAL knock on te'o is his bad game against the National champs. His is one name I'd be pretty excited to hear called when we pick at 28. I trust that Elway wouldn't do it if he had concerns about fake GFs and 40 yd times.

I didn't watch him much in college, but I know his 40 time is a concern and Pat Kirwan from Sirius NFL Radio said that he watched a lot of tape on him and he had some issues getting off of blocks. Those aren't necessarily "show stoppers", but they do raise some red flags.

spikerman
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't see the Texans as being interested. They are right against the cap already and DJ won't be worth breaking the bank for.

Yeah, they already chose to part with a better linebacker (Ryans) so I would be surprised if they're players in a trade - unless they're ready to admit they made a mistake in letting Ryans go.

Simple Jaded
03-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Williams is a damn good LB, the fact that he's so anti-hero is what I liked most about him. I wish there were more players that just don't give a **** about whether or not fans and media like them.......

spikerman
03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Williams is a damn good LB, the fact that he's so anti-hero is what I liked most about him. I wish there were more players that just don't give a **** about whether or not fans and media like them.......

When he puts out the effort he's a solid linebacker, but not an "impact" player, imo.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Just found this on PFT - all they are doing is referencing the article in the DP by Klis, and it is under rumor mill on PFT.

D.J. Williams isn’t expected back with Broncos

Mike Klis of the Denver Post expects that Williams will be a starting linebacker in 2013, but that there’s no chance that he’ll be filling that role on the Broncos defense. Williams is set to make $6 million (and count the same against the salary cap) in the 2013 season, a number Klis believes is too big for a Broncos team that moved on without Williams while missed nine games in 2012 serving two different suspensions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/03/d-j-williams-isnt-expected-back-with-broncos/

Klis' article on DP

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22705767/d-j-will-be-active-2013-but-not

chazoe60
03-03-2013, 04:34 PM
I wish none of the players in the NFL gave a **** about the fans. That's the NFL I want my son watching with me. :rolleyes: :fart:

Poet
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I think NFL players are best when they're being genuine. If you don't care what people think of you, that's fine. Taking it to the extremes is often bad for everyone involved. There are plenty of good players in the league who go about their business and stay quiet. I don't think Barry Sanders gave a damn what people thought about him as a player. He still was good to the fans. If you just be true to yourself you will almost always do fine. Unless being yourself means like acting an ass constantly.

pipes
03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I always liked the way DJ played. He selflessly switched positions over and over.
Obviously the bad part about DJ is the drinking and driving, could've done without that.
I wish him well, just hope he doesn't stay in the AFCW.

Elway is on record as saying he's happy with the current group of ILB's fighting it out.
This most definitely may be a smokescreen! I also don't think it has to be Manti that Denver may have their sites on. There's several ILB that are impressive, but they're probably going to all be gone by the time Denver picks in the third round.

So my guess is either Elway is telling the truth or he's going to nab one in the first or second rounds.
I really don't know of any quality free agent ILB out there.

honz
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
When did Teo become the only interior LB in this draft?

DenBronx
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM
NFL Rumors: Denver Broncos to Trade Former Starter

The move everyone has seen coming since the end of the 2012 NFLseason is all but official now. As reported by Mike Klis in the Denver Post on Sunday, DJ Williams will not be with the Denver Broncos in 2013. The fact that Williams won’t be with the Broncos is not a surprise but the events leading to his departure might be.

Most believed the Williams would just be released before the start of the new league year on March 12th. However it appears as if the Broncos will attempt to trade Williams in an effort to get something in return.

It’s a smart move by the Broncos because Williams is a starting linebacker and there are many teams that could use him. Even if the Broncos are only able to get a low round draft pick in return, it’s better than just releasing him.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/03/nfl-rumors-denver-broncos-to-trade-former-starter/?2rUEWtPw3Ux5fDuA.99

Lancane
03-03-2013, 07:14 PM
When did Teo become the only interior LB in this draft?

He isn't, but he's the only one that Denver is noted to have spoken with. IMHO, I doubt he'll even be on their draft board come April.

Lancane
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
NFL Rumors: Denver Broncos to Trade Former Starter

The move everyone has seen coming since the end of the 2012 NFLseason is all but official now. As reported by Mike Klis in the Denver Post on Sunday, DJ Williams will not be with the Denver Broncos in 2013. The fact that Williams won’t be with the Broncos is not a surprise but the events leading to his departure might be.

Most believed the Williams would just be released before the start of the new league year on March 12th. However it appears as if the Broncos will attempt to trade Williams in an effort to get something in return.

It’s a smart move by the Broncos because Williams is a starting linebacker and there are many teams that could use him. Even if the Broncos are only able to get a low round draft pick in return, it’s better than just releasing him.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/03/nfl-rumors-denver-broncos-to-trade-former-starter/?2rUEWtPw3Ux5fDuA.99

Denver will probably get a 6th Round Pick and a possible pick dependent on Williams' numbers in 2014.

D1g1tal j1m
03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I vote for drafting UConn LB Sio Moore. He's just as athletic as DJ, has a high motor and has been a leader since he stepped on campus. He is a bit small for MLB but is athletic enough to be a solid backup LB.

TXBRONC
03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Just found this on PFT - all they are doing is referencing the article in the DP by Klis, and it is under rumor mill on PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/03/d-j-williams-isnt-expected-back-with-broncos/

Klis' article on DP

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22705767/d-j-will-be-active-2013-but-not

Chop tends to overlook those things.

Ziggy
03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Denver will probably get a 6th Round Pick and a possible pick dependent on Williams' numbers in 2014.

I'd be shocked if they got a 6th. Everyone knows that he's going to be released, that he's one infraction away from a permanent suspension, and that he has a high salary. I'd be happy with a conditional 7th.

Magnificent Seven
03-03-2013, 09:08 PM

I am not surprised at this point. I am okay with this situation. He could head to Washington Redskins and works for Coach Mike Shanahan.

Magnificent Seven
03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Alternatively, He might head to Oakland.

The paper counts the Raiders as a possible suitor for him on the open market if he is cut. It makes a lot of sense. The Raiders need help at the position, Williams is from the Bay Area and he was coached by Oakland head coach Dennis Allen.

If Williams doesn’t get a better offer (and with his history he may not), Oakland might be able to swing something here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55497/could-d-j-williams-be-oakland-bound

ShaneFalco
03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
trade up for jarvis jenkins!

DenBronx
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I'd be shocked if they got a 6th. Everyone knows that he's going to be released, that he's one infraction away from a permanent suspension, and that he has a high salary. I'd be happy with a conditional 7th.

Ziggy, it's true everyone knows DJ might be released. But you are guaranteeing your team the rights to DJ for a conditional 6th rounder. Who else are you going to draft with the same talent that DJ has in the 6th round of the draft? DJ is already proven and a contender might be wanting his services on the weakside to help win now. So yes maybe a 3rd or higher is out of reason but a 6th deffinitely isnt and it will be a good deal for whoever needs a WLB.

DenBronx
03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Alternatively, He might head to Oakland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55497/could-d-j-williams-be-oakland-bound

Fine, send his ass to Oakland and let him die there. He grew up a raider fan anyway. I would love to see Manning torch him all year!!

Trade him straight accross for RUN DMC.

pipes
03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Ziggy, it's true everyone knows DJ might be released. But you are guaranteeing your team the rights to DJ for a conditional 6th rounder. Who else are you going to draft with the same talent that DJ has in the 6th round of the draft? DJ is already proven and a contender might be wanting his services on the weakside to help win now. So yes maybe a 3rd or higher is out of reason but a 6th deffinitely isnt and it will be a good deal for whoever needs a WLB.
Yeah but wouldn't that team have to pay him $6 million?
That alone makes him practically untradeable.

MOtorboat
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Fine, send his ass to Oakland and let him die there. He grew up a raider fan anyway. I would love to see Manning torch him all year!!

Trade him straight accross for RUN DMC.

Lol

MOtorboat
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah but wouldn't that team have to pay him $6 million?
That alone makes him practically untradeable.

Yes.

He won't be traded.

MOtorboat
03-03-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm disappointed that a talented player like Williams will be gone, but his contract is the problem.

jhildebrand
03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Rex Ryan and the Jets have liked DJ and tried to inquire about him a couple of times. I know part of the issue was denver wanted Harris.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets or Ravens make a move.

Lancane
03-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Yes.

He won't be traded.

No offense Mo, but didn't you and even I say the same for Tebow before he was traded to the Jets? I know Tebow was a quarterback, or so some claim...but it's fair to say that Williams has more value because he's a proven commodity compared to the likes of Tebow, he's an immediate starter for whomever trades for him and by doing so they forgo a bidding war, can sure up a part of their defense for a rather low pick, a pick in which six out of ten usually are nothing more then back-ups at the next level or busts.

DenBronx
03-04-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm disappointed that a talented player like Williams will be gone, but his contract is the problem.

Not really, not for a team thats needs a LB and is in a position to win now.

The only reason we dont need him is because Woody outplayed him. It wasnt about contract, it was because he was out played. Teams will be more worried about his NFL drug policy abuse than paying him 6 mill.

DenBronx
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Rex Ryan and the Jets have liked DJ and tried to inquire about him a couple of times. I know part of the issue was denver wanted Harris.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets or Ravens make a move.

The Ravens would be a good landing spot for DJ. They always seem to get the most out of their LBs. I even wonder with London Fletcher retiring if Shanahan would try and make a move for him.

DenBronx
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
And its rumored that the raiders will shop Darren McFadden. Dont think they would trade with a division rival but if it meant getting a LB like DJ then anything is possible. Plus they need help on defense badly.

According to Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com, the Oakland Raiders are expected to put running back Darren McFadden on the trade block this offseason to see what they can get in return for him. Parr also wrote that Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie is “open to listening if a team showed a willingness to part with a draft pick, or picks, for McFadden’s services.”As great as McFadden is, he is injury prone and running backs don’t have a lot of trade value

Simple Jaded
03-04-2013, 01:20 AM
I wish none of the players in the NFL gave a **** about the fans. That's the NFL I want my son watching with me. :rolleyes: :fart:

Don't much give a shit what you want your son to watch.......

Dapper Dan
03-04-2013, 02:06 AM
We're the good guys. The Raiders are the criminals. That's the way it should be.

I believe in forgiveness. But how many times can a teammate get in trouble before you lose faith in him. I'm sure none of the players want their kids acting like Uncle DJ. It's pretty naive to think that players are robots and a teams success deals with skill alone. A team's chemistry has a great deal to do with their success.

Northman
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM

The only reason we dont need him is because Woody outplayed him. It wasnt about contract, it was because he was out played. Teams will be more worried about his NFL drug policy abuse than paying him 6 mill.

Agreed.

MOtorboat
03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

If he was only due $2 million instead of $6 million, he'd probably be starting in the middle next year, and they wouldn't be talking about using Irving.

MOtorboat
03-04-2013, 07:52 AM
And its rumored that the raiders will shop Darren McFadden. Dont think they would trade with a division rival but if it meant getting a LB like DJ then anything is possible. Plus they need help on defense badly.

According to Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com, the Oakland Raiders are expected to put running back Darren McFadden on the trade block this offseason to see what they can get in return for him. Parr also wrote that Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie is “open to listening if a team showed a willingness to part with a draft pick, or picks, for McFadden’s services.”As great as McFadden is, he is injury prone and running backs don’t have a lot of trade value

So, you don't think very highly of Williams, but you think Denver could trade him straight up for McFadden?

TXBRONC
03-04-2013, 08:13 AM

Because of constant struggles with injuries I wouldn't go anywhere near him. I agree he's talented and when he's heathly he's explosive but he spends to much time on the sideline with injury.

Northman
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
I dont think Oakland would be that desperate to trade McFadden for DJ straight up.

MOtorboat
03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
No offense Mo, but didn't you and even I say the same for Tebow before he was traded to the Jets? I know Tebow was a quarterback, or so some claim...but it's fair to say that Williams has more value because he's a proven commodity compared to the likes of Tebow, he's an immediate starter for whomever trades for him and by doing so they forgo a bidding war, can sure up a part of their defense for a rather low pick, a pick in which six out of ten usually are nothing more then back-ups at the next level or busts.

I don't think he gets anywhere near $6 million a year in free agency, and even if he did somehow, the cap hit would likely be less than his current cap hit, so I have a hard time thinking there's a team out there that will do it.

It's not comparable to Tebow's situation, really.

MOtorboat
03-04-2013, 08:25 AM
To further explain...Andrew Brandt just tweeted this:
@adbrandt: Seeing reports of Flacco details: $30M in 2013, $1M salary and $29M bonus, prorated at $5.8M for Cap each year. Cap # of $6.8M.

Flacco's cap hit is 6.8, Williams' cap hit would be 6, so I have a hard time thinking the Broncos will find someone willing to pay that.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I would like to have McFaggot just so that we don't have to play against him. Between his time in Arkansas and his time in Oakland, I'm sick of him having success against my teams.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Would DJ's contract hurt our chances of a trade?

Why, yes, I believe it would. Good post.

Lancane
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't think he gets anywhere near $6 million a year in free agency, and even if he did somehow, the cap hit would likely be less than his current cap hit, so I have a hard time thinking there's a team out there that will do it.

It's not comparable to Tebow's situation, really.

But what if the trade in question forced him to restructure as many trades have done in the past? He has two years remaining on his current contract, but if the Jets or Ravens offered him a four year deal worth 12 million which included a 3 million dollar signing bonus over the period of the contract then he'd be due a little over 2 million a year and it could be worked to have a higher back-end given any signing bonuses.

We've seen too many trades where a player has had to rework their contract and that could be the case here as well, especially if a team doesn't want to wait for a bidding war to acquire his services.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd have to believe the chance of a trade is slim when you consider his contract and history.

G_Money
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I would love for some team to trade for DJ and give us a 5th rounder.

I don't expect it to happen - that's a lot of dough for a one-year rental, and if you sign him to an extended contract you know he's still one strike from being gone for a season, so it makes negotiation difficult. The player believes in his worth, after all.

*shrugs* I just don't want him around. He was a fine Will, an okay Sam, and an ineffectual-yet-highly-"productive" Mike. But I like the Will we have now in Woodyard, especially from a team leadership POV, so there's no reason to keep DJ around if he's not gonna start.

And no, I don't want him as our MLB.

~G

PS - :elefant:

DenBronx
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM

If he was only due $2 million instead of $6 million, he'd probably be starting in the middle next year, and they wouldn't be talking about using Irving.

So you think teams will think a couple extra mill a year isnt worth keeping a talented LB on the roster? Its not about money MO. Get that out of your thinking. DJ wasnt even a top 7 paid LB last year. I think even old man London Fletcher got paid more than DJ. Its that DJ cant out play Von or Woody, we have a couple young guys that want a shot and most likely we will look for someone in the draft to play MLB too. Its also his history of suspension issues.

DenBronx
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I would like to have McFaggot just so that we don't have to play against him. Between his time in Arkansas and his time in Oakland, I'm sick of him having success against my teams.

When hes healthy he runs like a monster. Hes got a large upper torso but hes also got twig legs, which seem to get hurt the most.

If Oakland truly going to shop McFadden then I dont see them getting much in return.

Northman
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
*shrugs* I just don't want him around. He was a fine Will, an okay Sam, and an ineffectual-yet-highly-"productive" Mike. But I like the Will we have now in Woodyard, especially from a team leadership POV, so there's no reason to keep DJ around if he's not gonna start.

Couldnt of said it any better myself.

broncohead
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
It'll be dumb to just dump him but if we could trade him for a draft pick or to move up in a round then that would be fine. I just can't imagine an unknown LB coming in and being a better option. Our SB window is short so downgrading at a position doesn't seem like a good idea

Dapper Dan
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
It'll be dumb to just dump him but if we could trade him for a draft pick or to move up in a round then that would be fine. I just can't imagine an unknown LB coming in and being a better option. Our SB window is short so downgrading at a position doesn't seem like a good idea

We could trade him for a washing machine.

broncohead
03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Ya we prob won't get anything out of him unless he re structures for a trade.

MOtorboat
03-04-2013, 11:59 PM

That's where price factors in, despite what others in this thread have insinuated. If he were cheaper, he'd be in Denver next year.

I fundamentally disagree with the "window" idea, though.

broncohead
03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
That's where price factors in, despite what others in this thread have insinuated. If he were cheaper, he'd be in Denver next year.

I fundamentally disagree with the "window" idea, though.

I just think after manning our QB situation is a big unknown is all.

MOtorboat
03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
I just think after manning our QB situation is a big unknown is all.

Every team has an unknown two or three years down the road, regardless of quarterback.

sneakers
03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
I am surprised it has taken this long.

broncohead
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Every team has an unknown two or three years down the road, regardless of quarterback.

True but QB is the most important position

MOtorboat
03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
True but QB is the most important position

I'm not disagreeing with that.