PDA

View Full Version : Brock Osweiler would be among best QBs in 2013 NFL draft

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Larry Friend in Springfield, Mo.:

Q: I was in favor of the Broncos selection of Brock Osweiler in the second round of the 2012 draft... Do you think that if he had stayed at Arizona State for one more year, and barring injury, that he would have been selected in the top five of the first round this year. Considering the number of teams needing quarterbacks this year, I think he might have been selected No. 1 overall.

A: Larry, the Broncos made Osweiler the 57th pick of the draft last April — he was the 25th player selected in the second round. He was the fifth quarterback selected — four were taken in the first round — in what is considered one of the deepest drafts at the position in decades.

Several teams, Broncos included, had a second-round grade on him heading into that draft. That grade was largely due to the fact Osweiler had been a starter for just one year at Arizona State and entered the draft as a 21-year-old junior because his offensive coordinator for the Sun Devils was moving on and the team was going to switch schemes.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22692320/brock-osweiler-would-be-among-best-qbs-2013

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Hah.. yeah he would. He would have been a first round pick, easily.

**Heyyy.. that question is from my home town! Whoot whoot

Northman
03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Admit it Rav, it was you.

Lancane
03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
A few scouts had him rated as the best quarterback behind Tannehill. Mayock even stated that Osweiler could work himself into the first round. If he'd have had similar numbers to those he had before leaving school, its quite possible that Osweiler could have ended up in KC or Oakland, even Buffalo or Arizona early in this draft.

Northman
03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
A few scouts had him rated as the best quarterback behind Tannehill. Mayock even stated that Osweiler could work himself into the first round. If he'd have had similar numbers to those he had before leaving school, its quite possible that Osweiler could have ended up in KC or Oakland, even Buffalo or Arizona early in this draft.

I think he is saying to himself "Thank you John" for not letting that happen. The kid ended up in the best possible position for himself. Learning from one of the best cerebral QB's ever and having the confidence from one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game running the show. Suffice to say, Tebow was an idiot for wanting to be traded.

DenBronx
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I think he is saying to himself "Thank you John" for not letting that happen. The kid ended up in the best possible position for himself. Learning from one of the best cerebral QB's ever and having the confidence from one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game running the show. Suffice to say, Tebow was an idiot for wanting to be traded.

Ehhhh, I almost believe Manning and Elway had a private discussion about that. I don't think Manning wanted to deal with that and Elway probablly didnt either. They eliminated all distractions. So what choice would Tebow of had??? Switch positions??? If Tebow was smart he would have just stepped up to the plate and talked with Elway about wanting to sit behind Manning and keep developing.....but I doubt Elway wanted to risk Tebowmania in full force if Manning would have struggled during some game.

On a side not, Tebowmania wasnt in full force in NY like it was here in Denver. I think we under estimate our own fan base sometimes. We are very vocal fans.....it was Broncomania that was divided, not Tebowmania. It was our own fans that was divided during the QB carosel.

As for Brock, he fits the prototypical QB that we like. I can wait because we have one of the best right now but I am super excited for when Brock actually gets to play. He has the smarts, the size and the arm. Teams are realy going to regret passing on him when its finally his turn to shine.

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Admit it Rav, it was you.

hah.. No.

If it WAS, I would have signed it "Zam".... I promise you

Northman
03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Ehhhh, I almost believe Manning and Elway had a private discussion about that. I don't think Manning wanted to deal with that and Elway probablly didnt either. They eliminated all distractions. So what choice would Tebow of had??? Switch positions??? If Tebow was smart he would have just stepped up to the plate and talked with Elway about wanting to sit behind Manning and keep developing.....but I doubt Elway wanted to risk Tebowmania in full force if Manning would have struggled during some game.

Do you honestly believe that had Tebow stayed there would of been people chanting his name in the stadium? I dont think so at all man. The minute Manning was signed Teebs was a distant memory outside the very few diehards who latched on from gatorland. While im sure that John loved the idea of Tim going away i dont believe for one second that they were worried about the Tebow chants. It wasnt like we were putting Orton back in. But i do agree with you that Tebow should of stayed, and should of learned from both of them but he apparently bought into his own hype and wanted to try to start elsewhere.

On a side not, Tebowmania wasnt in full force in NY like it was here in Denver. I think we under estimate our own fan base sometimes. We are very vocal fans.....it was Broncomania that was divided, not Tebowmania. It was our own fans that was divided during the QB carosel.

Again, cant agree here. The minute Manning was signed the Tebow fans scattered like roaches when the lights came on. Sure, early in the season when Manning had some struggle issues we saw them pop their heads back in here and troll but i saw a LOT of jersey's that were #15 last year turn very quickly into #18 and that was like 3 games into the season. The reason why Tebowmania never took off in NY is because the FO there didnt believe it would of made a difference. And lets face it, when Fox and company played Tim it wasnt like they expected him to will his way to a few wins. But the issues in NY were close to the same, even that fireman guy was getting ridiculed and threatened for supporting Sanchez. I think had Tebow started at any point and had any success the mania would of run rampant.

As for Brock, he fits the prototypical QB that we like. I can wait because we have one of the best right now but I am super excited for when Brock actually gets to play. He has the smarts, the size and the arm. Teams are realy going to regret passing on him when its finally his turn to shine.

Agreed. Nothing is ever in stone but i remember watching him at ASU and liking what i saw. I think we have a very good QB in the making there.

slim
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
No way he is a first round pick this year. The new system at ASU was not a good fit for him...it would have ended badly.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Do you honestly believe that had Tebow stayed there would of been people chanting his name in the stadium? I dont think so at all man. The minute Manning was signed Teebs was a distant memory outside the very few diehards who latched on from gatorland. While im sure that John loved the idea of Tim going away i dont believe for one second that they were worried about the Tebow chants. It wasnt like we were putting Orton back in. But i do agree with you that Tebow should of stayed, and should of learned from both of them but he apparently bought into his own hype and wanted to try to start elsewhere.

Again, cant agree here. The minute Manning was signed the Tebow fans scattered like roaches when the lights came on. Sure, early in the season when Manning had some struggle issues we saw them pop their heads back in here and troll but i saw a LOT of jersey's that were #15 last year turn very quickly into #18 and that was like 3 games into the season. The reason why Tebowmania never took off in NY is because the FO there didnt believe it would of made a difference. And lets face it, when Fox and company played Tim it wasnt like they expected him to will his way to a few wins. But the issues in NY were close to the same, even that fireman guy was getting ridiculed and threatened for supporting Sanchez. I think had Tebow started at any point and had any success the mania would of run rampant.

Agreed. Nothing is ever in stone but i remember watching him at ASU and liking what i saw. I think we have a very good QB in the making there.

I like already seeing his progression. He was considered raw coming out of college with 1 year worth of starts under belt. But his footwork and mechanics are better. I loved seeing his progress when he was able to make a few passes against KC. His biggest mechanic his fixed was his throwing motion. At time his armed dropped and that looked fixed.

Kudos to Elway for taking his guy who was raw so he could be molded with mechanics and letting him watch and learn from Manning.

Lancane
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I truly think teams are going to be surprised at what Osweiler looks like when he finally is under center, he was raw with tremendous upside and as North has pointed out gets to sit behind Peyton Manning, who is probably the best field general of the past two decades. And if he learns even a quarter of what Manning knows and then add in his physical ability and natural talent...It's no secret that Osweiler has a harpoon for an arm, but can you say damn!

Lancane
03-01-2013, 05:27 PM
No way he is a first round pick this year. The new system at ASU was not a good fit for him...it would have ended badly.

I agree with you on ASU's offense, but from an athletic perspective...I don't see how Gene Smith is a better pro prospect and personally, I believe between the Combine and the Senior Bowl he'd have been the top quarterback on several boards.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I truly think teams are going to be surprised at what Osweiler looks like when he finally is under center, he was raw with tremendous upside and as North has pointed out gets to sit behind Peyton Manning, who is probably the best field general of the past two decades. And if he learns even a quarter of what Manning knows and then add in his physical ability and natural talent...It's no secret that Osweiler has a harpoon for an arm, but can you say damn!

I would like to see our offense put out more points so Oz can get some more 4th quarter time and get some more passing attempts in as he is progressing.

Lancane
03-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I would like to see our offense put out more points so Oz can get some more 4th quarter time and get some more passing attempts in as he is progressing.

True...but we'll also get to see a lot more of him in pre-season as the number two on the depth chart and really see how far he's progressed on a week to week basis.

Superchop 7
03-02-2013, 09:40 AM
The kid couldn't handle a coaching change so he entered the NFL early, screws his teamates. (boo hoo)

On the other hand, my man Foles stayed for his senior season despite a freshman O line and having to run for his life his senior season, he could have come out early, done it the easy way, been drafted higher.....but.....he committed to the team through thick and thin, good and bad.

Brock has a tattoo that says "leave your legacy"

Whatever Brock.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
The kid couldn't handle a coaching change so he entered the NFL early, screws his teamates. (boo hoo)

On the other hand, my man Foles stayed for his senior season despite a freshman O line and having to run for his life his senior season, he could have come out early, done it the easy way, been drafted higher.....but.....he committed to the team through thick and thin, good and bad.

Whatever Brock.

And FOles looked like shit.......

Simple Jaded
03-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Whatever Brock.

Incredibly stupid take.......

TXBRONC
03-02-2013, 06:20 PM

The other assumption that was made was that there wouldn't have been a change in offensive coordinators.

Army Bronco
03-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Brock showed some good zip on his passes against KC. I hope he becomes a good accurate passer with that zip. On Tebow staying..... Bullgator would have paid for billboards to play Teebs and bench manning after the NE game.

TXBRONC
03-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Anyway, I glad Denver drafted him and I sure hope develops into great quarterback but only time will tell.