PDA

View Full Version : Nate Irving, Steven Johnson to get first chance to be MLB for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Mark Baldwin. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: This year's draft class lacks quality depth at middle linebacker. In previous seasons, the Broncos have had little success defending tight ends or slot receivers over the middle. In my opinion, this position needs an upgrade with someone who can run sideline to sideline and cover. Do the Broncos feel they have that kind of talent in (Nate) Irving and (Steven) Johnson, or are they just two down linebackers? Have they considered free agent Brad Jones from the Packers?

A: Mark, you are correct in the general consensus about the class of middle and/or inside linebackers in this draft. While the draft is enormously deep in defensive line and offensive line, at safety after the first round and wide receiver, it is not considered a deep affair on the inside at linebacker.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22680518/nate-irving-steven-johnson-get-first-chance-be

G_Money
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
This is why I wanted Ogletree not to be a knucklehead, because as a former safety he can run in coverage as well as punish RBs and QBs up the middle. He fits my idea of a MLB in a passing league.

Still, I would take a 2-down MLB who could actually diagnose plays and stuff runs, which Mays is not capable of (he basically flips a coin, picks a gap, and hopes it was the right one). If we're serious about Johnson or Irving as our trial MLB :hurk: then I really do hope we spend a 5th on Mauti - cuz we're gonna need him.

~G

Timmy!
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
If they are serious about johnson and irving they better resign old man brooking because he will be starting by week 5.

broncohead
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
DJ is still on the team.

DenBronx
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
DJ is still on the team.

Yeah, I dont understand why DJ isnt giving the opportunity here. He did ok last time he was in the middle but remember, we had a terrible scheme, d-cordinator and we wernt that great of a team overall. I would imagine Del Rio could work wonders with DJ in the middle. Resign Brooking for insurance.

If we are not going to draft one of the top ILBs then we need to go with this plan.

G_Money
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
DJ's getting 6 million bucks next year. We may want the money for something else, especially since he could always huff dog urine or get high on cake frosting before crashing his car into a 24-hour donut shop and spilling his Whizzinator on a buncha cops tomorrow.

~G

Zweems56
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I dont understand why DJ isnt giving the opportunity here. He did ok last time he was in the middle but remember, we had a terrible scheme, d-cordinator and we wernt that great of a team overall. I would imagine Del Rio could work wonders with DJ in the middle. Resign Brooking for insurance.

If we are not going to draft one of the top ILBs then we need to go with this plan.

My guess is that they trade DJ for whatever they can get as soon as the market opens up. Wood isn't giving up his spot. It's the only possibility if they're not giving him the MLB Spot.

G_Money
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I don't expect DJ to be on the team next year. Woodyard has been my boy since before draft day and I hate DJ's idiocy, so I'm absolutely biased, but Wes is making half of what DJ is for next season and the odds of him being lost for the season due to pathological brain cramping is infinitely lower than DJ's odds.

But I've been wrong on the "trade DJ" front before.

~G

DenBronx
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
My guess is that they trade DJ for whatever they can get as soon as the market opens up. Wood isn't giving up his spot. It's the only possibility if they're not giving him the MLB Spot.

Not saying Wood to give up his spot. Saying have DJ restructure and play the middle.

Zweems56
02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Not saying Wood to give up his spot. Saying have DJ restructure and play the middle.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't. What I'm saying is that the Denver Broncos are openly broadcasting that it's time for Nate Irving to step up. Also they're looking at MLBs in the draft. If they were going to give DJ the job, they would be saying "DJ is playing the Mike this year." He's certainly played well enough to earn the nod if he was ever going to get it. The fact that they're NOT broadcasting that speaks volumes.

Zweems56
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I don't expect DJ to be on the team next year. Woodyard has been my boy since before draft day and I hate DJ's idiocy, so I'm absolutely biased, but Wes is making half of what DJ is for next season and the odds of him being lost for the season due to pathological brain cramping is infinitely lower than DJ's odds.

But I've been wrong on the "trade DJ" front before.

~G

Right there with ya, G. We'll call it the Woodwagon. I wasn't a follower before we drafted him, but in those 6 starts in his rookie season, a ton of us saw that the kid was going to be a GREAT backer for us in the future. Beginning of every year was a sad day when he wasn't starting over DJ.

Dapper Dan
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Maybe I'm just optimistic and have too much faith, but I think it's possible that Irving steps up and plays well enough. I would also agree with getting Mauti late in the draft.

Zweems56
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Maybe I'm just optimistic and have too much faith, but I think it's possible that Irving steps up and plays well enough. I would also agree with getting Mauti late in the draft.

I was pretty high on him coming out of college, but what i've seen from him seems too "Joe Mays" to me. Ability to read a play severely lacking

Ziggy
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Arthur Brown is the forgotten man in this draft. He's a 3 down linebacker that can cover. He showed up to the combine at 241 pounds, but couldn't partake in the drills due to an injury. He has great speed, brings the wood for a smaller linebacker, and diagnoses plays quickly. If he performs like he should at his pro day, he'll be a first round lock. Word is, he's being looked at by teams for both MLB and WLB.

Dzone
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Obviously Nate Irving is no Luke Kuechly. Irving is mediocre at best

Dapper Dan
02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
I forgot about Nate's car wreck. Insane that he came back to play at all. Here's a feature about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H56vB3Y6Udc

G_Money
02-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Arthur Brown is the forgotten man in this draft. He's a 3 down linebacker that can cover. He showed up to the combine at 241 pounds, but couldn't partake in the drills due to an injury. He has great speed, brings the wood for a smaller linebacker, and diagnoses plays quickly. If he performs like he should at his pro day, he'll be a first round lock. Word is, he's being looked at by teams for both MLB and WLB.

I dunno that Brown is a MLB, or at least is as good a MLB as he would be a Will. I don't like his ability to shed interior blocks at times, which is totally understandable given his size, but he's got a lot of ability and can cover as well as tackle. Not really a traditional run-stuffer though. Still, I've always been a huge Jon Beason fan (who has a similar game) and I didn't care one whit about his size. I don't think Brown is as good as Beason, but he has the kind of relentless work ethic I always appreciate and I wouldn't be disappointed to draft him.

I'd rather it be in the 2nd than the first, though, and I don't think a team drafting a MLB takes him over some of the other guys in the first. MLB tends to be a second round pick these days unless you're the best guy and you won't find a ton of folks who think Brown is the best. Maybe we'll get to drop back in the draft again to try to pick up a guy who then goes ahead of us - so much fun to be had there...

~G

topscribe
03-01-2013, 12:13 AM
DJ would at least be good insurance if the other two don't cut it, or even
backup if one does, IMO. He played Mike without any previous experience at
the position and did a credible job. In fact, he can backup at every linebacker
position. I'm just not so sure as many others that he will be gone if he will
restructure.

But that is not to discount Irving. Dude is a baller.

dogfish
03-01-2013, 01:49 AM
i feel like DJ and chris kuper are prime candidates to be back on legitimately restructured deals. . . we need to lower both of their cap numbers-- but we aren't exactly so flush with talent at either spot that we can just casually dismiss skilled vets with lots of game experience, and time in our systems. . .

i'd like to see the FO work it out so we can retain those guys at a fair price, and spend our picks and FA dollars finding players like another RB and WR, coupla DTs, etc. . . NOT that i would mind drafting a MIKE, either, but at the moment it's looking like we might go another direction. . . you can never tell for sure this time of year, though. . .

in any case, if we do actually decide to roll with irving/johnson as the initial depth chart at MIKE, i'd feel more comfortable if we still had DJ around-- for all of his flaws, he's still a hell of a lot better option than joe mays. . . :shudder:

underrated29
03-01-2013, 02:11 AM
This is the kind of thing that has me curious. I have been thinking we would for sure go db or DT at #1, but then they come out with things like this. It could be true, but I will never forget the year well before the draft and right around pre combine or combine time where mike shanahan said that Ryan Harris is a better LT and will compete with Eric pears? Or someone at that position. It was all just fluff as we obviously drafted clady that year.

This, along with elways comments about teo has me pausing for a moment to check and see if this is a bluff.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 02:16 PM
This is the kind of thing that has me curious. I have been thinking we would for sure go db or DT at #1, but then they come out with things like this. It could be true, but I will never forget the year well before the draft and right around pre combine or combine time where mike shanahan said that Ryan Harris is a better LT and will compete with Eric pears? Or someone at that position. It was all just fluff as we obviously drafted clady that year.

This, along with elways comments about teo has me pausing for a moment to check and see if this is a bluff.

Last year EFX talking about DL and behold Wolfe was drafted with top pick. Same with RB and QB. All 3 positions were talked about a lot and interviewed all the positions a lot.

CoachChaz
03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I dont think any of it is a mystery. Any team can look at another and tell what their biggest needs are. The whole bluff game is retarded.

Lancane
03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
As I pointed out in another thread, Denver has only met thus far with Trufant, Allen, Hopkins and Te'o, whom are graded as first round talent. Te'o might interest them but they have met with no other linebackers as far as I can tell, and my favorite of this class is Chase Thomas. I'd say that Denver is likely to run with Irving and Johnson unless Te'o falls into their laps and they feel he is a better option. Still, I can't stop thinking about Hopkins and Allen, they're really looking at the wide receiver position and early, the lowest graded prospect they've talked with is Swoop who is graded out to go in the 3rd or 4th round. I'm not sure what to expect this draft, but as of right now, I'd say that safety, offensive line, running back, tight end, defensive end, linebacker and even defensive tackle are not likely to be the pick (at this time) come their first pick of the draft.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
As I pointed out in another thread, Denver has only met thus far with Trufant, Allen, Hopkins and Te'o, whom are graded as first round talent. Te'o might interest them but they have met with no other linebackers as far as I can tell, and my favorite of this class is Chase Thomas. I'd say that Denver is likely to run with Irving and Johnson unless Te'o falls into their laps and they feel he is a better option. Still, I can't stop thinking about Hopkins and Allen, they're really looking at the wide receiver position and early, the lowest graded prospect they've talked with is Swoop who is graded out to go in the 3rd or 4th round. I'm not sure what to expect this draft, but as of right now, I'd say that safety, offensive line, running back, tight end, defensive end, linebacker and even defensive tackle are not likely to be the pick (at this time) come their first pick of the draft.

I think Swope is graded to a second rounder after a very strong combine. Very fast 40 speed which was not expected from him.

Lancane
03-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I think Swope is graded to a second rounder after a very strong combine. Very fast 40 speed which was not expected from him.

Which makes me think that Denver is seriously thinking of taking a wide receiver in this draft and early. Swoop would likely end up in the slot, but Allen and Hopkins are number two receivers which could mean they're thinking heavily about moving Decker to the slot position.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Which makes me think that Denver is seriously thinking of taking a wide receiver in this draft and early. Swoop would likely end up in the slot, but Allen and Hopkins are number two receivers which could mean they're thinking heavily about moving Decker to the slot position.

I want Swope. Need a Stokely replacement. Decker has good size as a #2. I would take Austin, Swoope or Wheaton for the slot.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm not overly confident in Irving or Johnson, but I'm even less confident in Mays or DJ. Neither Mays nor DJ are good starting caliber MLBs. DJ was terrible there in spot duty last year and continues to prove that he's got all the physical tools but is pudding between the ears. He overruns plays and plays the wrong gap all the time. Our run defense was consistently better with old-man Brooking on the field than either Mays or especially DJ.

Cut DJ and his big cap number and find a good FA. Doesn't have to be a superstar, just a solid MLB.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
DJ isn't a MLB, and never was a MLB before we put him there because of NEED. Now again, we are in NEED of a MLB and people want to blame DJ for not doing the job of a vet.

I'm concerned that we aren't going to get that MLB in this year's draft, and will once again be lacking. I think the 40 time is about the last thing I would ever look at for MLB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM

I said long before the combine that I thought this was a good FA class on the defensive side of the ball and I expect Denver to shock some people by going heavy on the offensive side of the ball.

topscribe
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm not overly confident in Irving or Johnson, but I'm even less confident in Mays or DJ. Neither Mays nor DJ are good starting caliber MLBs. DJ was terrible there in spot duty last year and continues to prove that he's got all the physical tools but is pudding between the ears. He overruns plays and plays the wrong gap all the time. Our run defense was consistently better with old-man Brooking on the field than either Mays or especially DJ.

Cut DJ and his big cap number and find a good FA. Doesn't have to be a superstar, just a solid MLB.
Not surprising. Old man Brooking is a multiple-time Pro-Bowler. If he has anything
at all left in that tank, some good will come out of it. I won't be surprised if
they keep him this year, if for nothing else, for backup and insurance. In fact,
Brooking might be a reason they would be willing to let DJ go?