PDA

View Full Version : I Wonder Why We Kept Five Runningbacks?

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:45 PM
As far as I can remember Shanahan hasn't ever kept this many runningbacks on his active roster.

Earlier today someone mentioned that Green Bay was either waiting for us to release one of our runningbacks so they could sign him or trade with us.

What are the chance that Shanahan kept them all for the purpose trading with Green Bay?

DenBronx
09-01-2007, 10:46 PM
and it will be 6 after we get PITTMAN!!! :cool:

Tned
09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
As far as I can remember Shanahan hasn't ever kept this many runningbacks on his active roster.

Earlier today someone mentioned that Green Bay was either waiting for us to release one of our runningbacks so they could sign him or trade with us.

What are the chance that Shanahan kept them all for the purpose trading with Green Bay?

It could be trade bait, but it also may just be that he sees enough promise in all of them that he doesn't want to let them go, so he will use some of them in a swing role.

It is a bit strange, though.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
and it will be 6 after we get PITTMAN!!! :cool:

Antonio Pittman?

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
It could be trade bait, but it also may just be that he sees enough promise in all of them that he doesn't want to let them go, so he will use some of them in a swing role.

It is a bit strange, though.

Yeah that's true, but I just can't recall him keeping that many on the active roster before.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
It's a bit perplexing. I'd have to say that perhaps a trade could be in the works.

Lonestar
09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Perhaps he is worried about #1 not being able to stay healthy.

LoyalSoldier
09-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Tatum Bell
Mike Anderson
Garason Hearst
Quentin Griffin
Ruben

Calibroncogrl47
09-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I personally think that with Henry and Bell getting hurt in preseason.. he thinks we may need more depth at running back this year.. Just in case..

You guys could be right too though.. a possible trade.. we will see.:lollypop:

topscribe
09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
At this point, I would like to see Bell traded. I just would not like to see him
languishing as a scrub FB, a position at which he's not a natural match,
anyway. He is a naturally good runner, who admittedly needs to improve his
blocking, and he may eventually be even starting material for some team. If
nothing else, he could be #2 RB somewhere. But he's too good to be shoved
into a closet here, IMO.

-----

Skinny
09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
The thing is, nobody is listed as a FB on the roster. Even Paul Smith is listed as a RB

This is how there listed on denverbroncos.com

30 Bell, Mike RB

23 Hall, Andre RB

20 Henry, Travis RB

37 Sapp, Cecil RB

26 Smith, Paul RB

35 Young, Selvin RB

Paul Smith is a FB. As well as Sapp i beleive. So officially that leaves us with 4 RBs

Right?? lol :confused:

topscribe
09-02-2007, 11:51 AM
The thing is, nobody is listed as a FB on the roster. Even Paul Smith is listed as a RB

This is how there listed on denverbroncos.com

30 Bell, Mike RB

23 Hall, Andre RB

20 Henry, Travis RB

37 Sapp, Cecil RB

26 Smith, Paul RB

35 Young, Selvin RB

Paul Smith is a FB. As well as Sapp i beleive. So officially that leaves us with 4 RBs

Right?? lol :confused:
Yes, that occurred to me, too. That makes the number a little more
reasonable . . . maybe pare it down to three RBs, which they might do yet.

-----

Krugan
09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Hiya, nice to see many of the Brocomania posters here. Anyway enough of that.

Im going to add something some wont like, but its just a gut feeling I have.

My thoughts, the extra backs are here simply due to Henry's injury concerns. After Henry we dont have much for experienced depth.

I do see the idea of trading Bell as a decent option, but feel until we see what Young, Hall, Sapp, can do live action against starting caliber players he should be retained.

We know what he did agaisnt starters.

Anyway, hope you all dont mind having an old grumpy Broncomania member here posting with you all! :)

topscribe
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Hiya, nice to see many of the Brocomania posters here. Anyway enough of that.

Im going to add something some wont like, but its just a gut feeling I have.

My thoughts, the extra backs are here simply due to Henry's injury concerns. After Henry we dont have much for experienced depth.

I do see the idea of trading Bell as a decent option, but feel until we see what Young, Hall, Sapp, can do live action against starting caliber players he should be retained.

We know what he did agaisnt starters.

Anyway, hope you all dont mind having an old grumpy Broncomania member here posting with you all! :)
I don't know what's not to like about that post. You show a lot of insight
in that, one I haven't seen until now. Yes, present injuries and the resulting
instability would seem a definite factor in keeping an extra RB.

And, yes, Young has impressed . . . big time. But that was preseason, as
you implied. We have seen some "preseason wonders" in our time, haven't
we? I think we know what Sapp can do . . . and I suspect he is kept for
his value at FB, anyway. So we see what Young and Hall can do in the real
season, then we make our moves.

Good post. :beer:

-----

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Perhaps he is worried about #1 not being able to stay healthy.

Maybe, but I really don't think that's what going on. Henry has been durable to this point in his career.

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 02:05 PM

Tatum Bell
Mike Anderson
Garason Hearst
Quentin Griffin
Ruben

Anderson was on I.R. and Droughns was a fullback at the time.

Krugan
09-02-2007, 02:12 PM
You know the more I think about this, the more it makes sense.

The release of a pretty one dimentional player in Kyle Johnson, the keeping of multiple unproven HB's, the lack of a true FB.

It has to lead to the concern about how durable our guys are or how unproven they all are.

Seem almost like a overkill to cover a flaw.

BigBroncLove
09-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I think one thing to consider is the fact that the Broncos may be transfering to a two tight end set for much of the coming season. The fact that KJ was released, the only real "pure" FB that remains is Paul Smith, and the Broncos will maintain 5 TE's this year (another year of tons of TE's) makes me think the FB will take a lesser role in offensive formations this coming year, and the flexability of the Two TE set with the Broncos versatility at the position of TE will be something we see more of.

It is interesting that Hall made the team, I thought he would have been cut. I do think Sapp remains a very good FB for the team, and though he is listed as an RB, that his ability to perform at the FB position was more then apparent last year.

It certienly is an interesting set of developments, and I doubt KJ will sit on the market for to long. If he somehow makes it through waivers, I would bet he goes on the practice squad.... bt I think it is more likely someone will snatch him up.

Broncos Mtnman
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM

I think there are a few reasons for this...

1) It was discussed in the Post today that Bell may be available for a trade.

2) During camp, it was discussed that we will run more 2 TE and even 3TE sets this year. Remember when Hape was on the team? We often used 3 TE sets where he would motion to the FB spot (or motion out to TE if he started in the FB spot). I think you'll see a return to that.

3) With the change in offensive philosophy, Shanny was able to keep more RBs, giving us depth at a position where the starter has an injury history.

:cool:

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I think there are a few reasons for this...

1) It was discussed in the Post today that Bell may be available for a trade.

2) During camp, it was discussed that we will run more 2 TE and even 3TE sets this year. Remember when Hape was on the team? We often used 3 TE sets where he would motion to the FB spot (or motion out to TE if he started in the FB spot). I think you'll see a return to that.

3) With the change in offensive philosophy, Shanny was able to keep more RBs, giving us depth at a position where the starter has an injury history.

:cool:

This reason I think Shanahan did it. The Packers are in need of runningback and considering that we our rushing attacks are very similar it makes sense to take a look at runningbacks from our system. The Packers may have been hoping that we would release one or two of them and pick up one of them up without any extra costs (i.e. draft picks or players on their roster).

rcsodak
09-02-2007, 11:39 PM
One thing I think is being overlooked, is probably the most glaring reason...

...the QB!

Cutler has 5games under his belt...

...and the last thing Shanny wants to do, is for the season to be thrown onto his shoulders in the case of injury.

Of course, this is fluid, as the season progresses, and with the offense getting into a good flow of run/pass.

I just think Shanny & co. are being extra careful to start out with.