PDA

View Full Version : Elway, Fox back at Dove Valley headquarters

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
The NFL scouting combine has concluded. Scouting reports on the 330-plus draft-eligible are in the process of getting updated.

Now it’s time for the Broncos’ football operations boss John Elway, and his executive assistants, and head coach John Fox and his coaching staff to huddle and finalize their offseason plan. The Broncos have six positions of need. In order:

1. (tie) Cornerback, defensive tackle

3. Offensive lineman

4. Running back

5. Safety

6. No. 2 1/2-type receiver.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/02/27/elway-fox-back-at-dove-valley-headquarters/18680/

Lancane
02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Not sure that I'd call Cornerback, where Denver has at least three under contract equal to Defensive Line where the Broncos have only one Defensive Tackle under contract who has any experience whatsoever.

G_Money
02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm interested in the idea that MLB is NOWHERE on that need list.

But I guess we all gauge these things differently. And I wouldn't call our need for a slot receiver our #6 need - Stokley was huge for us this year and Caldwell isn't gonna get time there. If something were to happen to Decker or DT, neither of whom are paragons of health, we kinda need another receiving target available.

Just a thought.

~G

Lancane
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
IMHO the list should be:

1. Defensive Tackle (The defensive tackles they interviewed at the combine are mostly mid round picks)
2. Tailback (Courting Shonn Greene, haven't heard much else)
3. Linebacker (Other then Te'o has shown little interest at the position)
4. Wide Receiver (Shown little interest in fixing the position)
5. Offensive Line (More interest then most anywhere else but defensive backfield)
6. Defensive Back (Seems to be the most important positions for the team, despite not being the weakest!)

I'm a little concerned that so far this feels like a Shanahan-esque draft board!

Northman
02-28-2013, 02:31 PM

But I guess we all gauge these things differently. And I wouldn't call our need for a slot receiver our #6 need - Stokley was huge for us this year and Caldwell isn't gonna get time there. If something were to happen to Decker or DT, neither of whom are paragons of health, we kinda need another receiving target available.

Just a thought.

~G

Agreed.

NightTerror218
02-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Just a thought.

~G

I keep hearing they want to use their 2 young players Irving and Johnson battle it out for starter.

G_Money
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
IMHO the list should be:

1. Defensive Tackle (The defensive tackles they interviewed at the combine are mostly mid round picks)
2. Tailback (Courting Shonn Greene, haven't heard much else)
3. Linebacker (Other then Te'o has shown little interest at the position)
4. Wide Receiver (Shown little interest in fixing the position)
5. Offensive Line (More interest then most anywhere else but defensive backfield)
6. Defensive Back (Seems to be the most important positions for the team, despite not being the weakest!)

I'm a little concerned that so far this feels like a Shanahan-esque draft board!

For several of our needs, though, we can address them in the middle rounds. Good OL (especially at guard or center) are often available in the middle rounds. This is definitely a rounds-2-to-4 kind of draft for running backs. We should be able to get a useful slot receiver from the 3rd round on if the really explosive guys like Austin are already off the board (and honestly I feel like there will be some excellent specialty weapons there who maybe aren't as fast as Austin but can learn to produce like Stokely in a PFM offense).

We could really clean up in the middle of this draft and address needs at the same time, just based on how the talent looks distributed currently. I'm really curious as to who will be there for our first rounder (and if we'll pull the trigger this time). Now that we have the ultra-key position of backup-QB filled, I shouldn't get any major surprises in the early rounds who are not contributing on the field, and we could finish the rotational aspects of last year's draft.

I wish I knew how Bolden looked other than on special teams, because I have high hopes for him to make cornerback not a real concern for us in this draft. If we take a first round corner I'll probably have my answer. :coffee:

~G

G_Money
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
I keep hearing they want to use their 2 young players Irving and Johnson battle it out for starter.

:lol: :laugh:

Oh wait... were you serious?

:throwup:

~G