PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe's versatility won't keep Broncos from evaluating D-linemen

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Rodney Adams. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: When Broncos coach John Fox said he wanted Derek Wolfe to add weight shortly after being drafted, I took that to mean he was drafted as a defensive tackle. Didn't we all? We never hear about needing a new left defensive end because people see Wolfe over there, but wasn't that more due to circumstance rather than design? Robert Ayers quickly lost his starting role as left defensive end to Jason Hunter, and then Hunter was lost to injury. Wolfe moved outside, and the rest is history. Am I missing something?

A: Rodney, when the Broncos selected Wolfe with the 36th pick of the 2012 draft, there is no question they saw him as a defensive tackle who could play defensive end in some situations.

But injuries did force the Broncos' hand — at least some. And defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio also liked what Wolfe did as a defensive end in offseason workouts and training camp. So, Wolfe started 16 games at left defensive end and became the team's first defensive lineman since Barney Chavous in 1973 to start every game as a rookie.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22672682/derek-wolfes-versatility-wont-keep-broncos-from-evaluating

Lancane
02-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Well that's good, because unless he's so versatile that he can play two or more positions at the same time Denver better evaluate defensive lineman...they have only one defensive tackle with any experience signed at this time.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Wolfe needs to be voted 20th ProBowl Alternate before he can breath easy at draft time.......

DenBronx
02-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Cullen Jenkins.

Make it happen.

TXBRONC
02-28-2013, 06:22 AM
Wolfe needs to be voted 20th ProBowl Alternate before he can breath easy at draft time.......

He's not on the edge of being let go. From what I've heard the team is pleased with the progress he made this year.

BroncoNut
02-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Derek Wolfe had a solid rookie performance,and from what I've heard about the young man, he's not the breath easy type. I expect him to continue to produce and improve at the position. but that is just me.

Rex
02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Derek Wolfe had a solid rookie performance,and from what I've heard about the young man, he's not the breath easy type. I expect him to continue to produce and improve at the position. but that is just me.

Do you have a site where you cut and paste these answers from?

BroncoNut
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM

no Rex, why? were you raelly that impressed with the post and apparently others?

MOtorboat
02-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Word document.

Superchop 7
03-03-2013, 01:14 AM
I said it from day 1 that Elway hoodwinked us into a DE......clever......no problems with Wolfes play.....but the only bonafide stud at DT was Warren.

TXBRONC
03-03-2013, 08:51 AM
I said it from day 1 that Elway hoodwinked us into a DE......clever......no problems with Wolfes play.....but the only bonafide stud at DT was Warren.

If you were hoodwinked that's your problem not mine. I wasn't hoodwinked into anything.

The only thing Warren is bonefided at is being on the I.R.

Superchop 7
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Most fans were hoodwinked into thinking we got a DT.

agreed on IR, too bad though.

As most of you know, I want Seymoor and Kawaan Short......BUT.....I'm adding a new name to my list.....Sammie Lee Hill.

The injury is not serious. Hill, 26, started three games this season and registered 15 tackles. Even though he didn't record a sack on the season, Pro Football Focus gave him a very solid grade in pass rush situations. Hill was credited with 17 quarterback hurries. He's one of several Detroit defensive players scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency this offseason.

He is a solid guy that was stuck behind the numbers game, also he is 329 lbs. Hurt his toe at the end of the season.

So....lets look at what happens when he does play.

Even more interesting .... Mlive.com breaks down all 19 of Hill's snaps.

This guy is drawing double-teams and triple teams, and was very effective when double-teamed.

1 -- Taking advantage of a double-team on Suh, Hill overpowered center Scott Wells, driving the center back seven yards before quarterback Sam Bradford fired off an eight-yard completion.

2 -- Hill peeled off block by guard Robert Turner to hit Steven Jackson in the backfield, taking down the powerful running back for a one-yard gain.

3 -- Hill beat a double-team in a short-yardage situation, got into backfield, but Jackson was able to find a lane for seven yards

4 -- Hill again overpowered Turner to fill a running lane two gaps over, spilling Jackson for a one-yard gain.

5 -- The Rams ran an 11-yard toss sweep away from Hill, limiting his impact on the play, but it appeared Wells got an underhook on the monstrous defensive tackle limiting pursuit.

6 -- Facing a double-team, Hill clogged the desired running lane, forcing Jackson to cut back where he was taken down by Nick Fairley and Stephen Tulloch for a one-yard gain.

7 -- Hill is double-teamed as Bradford gets away quick pass for four yards

8 -- Hill manages to draws triple-team, allowing Fairley to get the sack

9 -- Hill loses his first individual battle, being pushed aside by a double-team. Rams gain three yards on the run play.

10 -- Hill absolutely bullies guard Rokevious Watkins back six yards before disengaging and getting a hit on Bradford just after the quarterback releases the ball for an eight-yard completion.

11 -- The Rams contain Hill, but the Lions bring the blitz forcing Bradford to rush his throw before taking a big hit.

12 -- The Rams take away Hill's ability to impact the play by throwing a quick seven-yard pass from the shotgun.

13 -- Shifting the entire offensive line to the left, Hill is muscled off his spot by a double-team. Still, Jackson only manages to gain a single yard on the outside run.

14 --Drawing just a single blocker, Hill gets good push collapsing the pocket on Bradford, but the quarterback hangs tough and delivers a beautiful 23-yard touchdown pass.

15 -- Jackson ran a play away from Hill's side of the field for no gain.

16 -- Turner tries to handle Hill on his own and is beaten badly. The defensive tackle took a swing at Bradford's arm during the throwing motion, but just missed. The play resulted in an 11-yard completion.

17 -- The Rams hit Hill with a wham block to clear a running lane for Steven Jackson, but Justin Durant fills gap for a two-yard loss.

18 -- Hill beats double-team, plus additional block from Jackson, to flush Bradford from the pocket. The quarterback scrambles goes for just two yards.

19 -- Hill again beats a double-team, gets a hand up in Bradford's passing lane, nearly batting down the pass that ultimately fell incomplete.

The guy played for 1.26 Million last year, makes plays when given the opportunity, has the size Del Rio loves.

Jsteve01
03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
pretty good stuff chop. Now if he can just stay healthy

TXBRONC
03-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Most fans were hoodwinked into thinking we got a DT.

agreed on IR, too bad though.

As most of you know, I want Seymoor and Kawaan Short......BUT.....I'm adding a new name to my list.....Sammie Lee Hill.

The injury is not serious. Hill, 26, started three games this season and registered 15 tackles. Even though he didn't record a sack on the season, Pro Football Focus gave him a very solid grade in pass rush situations. Hill was credited with 17 quarterback hurries. He's one of several Detroit defensive players scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency this offseason.

He is a solid guy that was stuck behind the numbers game, also he is 329 lbs. Hurt his toe at the end of the season.

So....lets look at what happens when he does play.

Even more interesting .... Mlive.com breaks down all 19 of Hill's snaps.

This guy is drawing double-teams and triple teams, and was very effective when double-teamed.

1 -- Taking advantage of a double-team on Suh, Hill overpowered center Scott Wells, driving the center back seven yards before quarterback Sam Bradford fired off an eight-yard completion.

2 -- Hill peeled off block by guard Robert Turner to hit Steven Jackson in the backfield, taking down the powerful running back for a one-yard gain.

3 -- Hill beat a double-team in a short-yardage situation, got into backfield, but Jackson was able to find a lane for seven yards

4 -- Hill again overpowered Turner to fill a running lane two gaps over, spilling Jackson for a one-yard gain.

5 -- The Rams ran an 11-yard toss sweep away from Hill, limiting his impact on the play, but it appeared Wells got an underhook on the monstrous defensive tackle limiting pursuit.

6 -- Facing a double-team, Hill clogged the desired running lane, forcing Jackson to cut back where he was taken down by Nick Fairley and Stephen Tulloch for a one-yard gain.

7 -- Hill is double-teamed as Bradford gets away quick pass for four yards

8 -- Hill manages to draws triple-team, allowing Fairley to get the sack

9 -- Hill loses his first individual battle, being pushed aside by a double-team. Rams gain three yards on the run play.

10 -- Hill absolutely bullies guard Rokevious Watkins back six yards before disengaging and getting a hit on Bradford just after the quarterback releases the ball for an eight-yard completion.

11 -- The Rams contain Hill, but the Lions bring the blitz forcing Bradford to rush his throw before taking a big hit.

12 -- The Rams take away Hill's ability to impact the play by throwing a quick seven-yard pass from the shotgun.

13 -- Shifting the entire offensive line to the left, Hill is muscled off his spot by a double-team. Still, Jackson only manages to gain a single yard on the outside run.

14 --Drawing just a single blocker, Hill gets good push collapsing the pocket on Bradford, but the quarterback hangs tough and delivers a beautiful 23-yard touchdown pass.

15 -- Jackson ran a play away from Hill's side of the field for no gain.

16 -- Turner tries to handle Hill on his own and is beaten badly. The defensive tackle took a swing at Bradford's arm during the throwing motion, but just missed. The play resulted in an 11-yard completion.

17 -- The Rams hit Hill with a wham block to clear a running lane for Steven Jackson, but Justin Durant fills gap for a two-yard loss.

18 -- Hill beats double-team, plus additional block from Jackson, to flush Bradford from the pocket. The quarterback scrambles goes for just two yards.

19 -- Hill again beats a double-team, gets a hand up in Bradford's passing lane, nearly batting down the pass that ultimately fell incomplete.

The guy played for 1.26 Million last year, makes plays when given the opportunity, has the size Del Rio loves.

I'm not sure you can speak for most fans Chop.

Superchop 7
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Fans know what he does "now".....I am referring to perceptions at the time he was drafted.

TXBRONC
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Fans know what he does "now".....I am referring to perceptions at the time he was drafted.

I heard right around the time we drafted him that he was seen as versitile player at Cincinatti and that he was used all over defensive line.

IIRC Jason Hunter went into camp as the starting left defensive end before he was lost I.R. list and it was only moved to defensive end. I don'y call that being hoodwinked.