PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in tough spot with Marshall

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2009, 01:29 AM
The Broncos can't afford to let Brandon Marshall go for less than a first- and fourth-round pick.

If you thought Josh McDaniels was in a tough spot with the Jay Cutler trade, don't look now.

The Brandon Marshall situation might be worse. The trust between Marshall and the Broncos has been broken on both sides. Marshall doesn't trust the trainers; he doesn't trust the organization. On the flip side, the Broncos don't trust him enough to offer him a contract extension. Trading him would set more precedents for players who might want to leave the Broncos.

What the Broncos need is a face-saving angel, a team willing to trade the equivalent of a No. 1 and No. 4 pick to resolve this situation. Watching the Broncos play the Seahawks on Saturday night, I think the Broncos can get by with three- and four-receiver sets that feature Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokley and Chad Jackson.

That group of receivers might not be tall, but it's solid enough for Kyle Orton, who is going to operate a quick passing offense out of three- and five-step drops. The problem facing the Broncos is that because their defense is suspect, they probably are going to play a lot of shootouts. Orton is good, but I don't see him winning three games in which the defense surrendered 30 or more points, as Cutler did last season.

Plus, starting in Week 4, the Broncos face an eight-game stretch in which it's going to be hard to win many games. From Oct. 4 to Nov. 26, they face Dallas, New England, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, San Diego and the Giants. They could lose all eight. Getting value for Marshall, who is in the final year of his contract, is the wise thing to do if McDaniels is going to build the Broncos back into a playoff team.

Marshall would be a great fit on the Ravens or the Jets. If neither team -- or another suitor -- offers a No. 1 and a No. 4, the Broncos will have to keep him, even though his attitude might cause his productivity to drop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4418733

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 07:02 AM
He's not going anywhere

claymore
08-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Marshall has all the chips. Worst case he rides pine for 2 years, makes a nice living, then gets a nice contract from someone.

A serious contender would have to lose their #1 WR for us to get a 1st and 4th.

broncofaninfla
08-25-2009, 07:31 AM
I expect fines and a team imposed suspension next. The kid needs to get back on the field and showcase his skills only then will the money he seeks fall into his lap. This is still fixable. Might need a Tony Dungy type to help out since it's obvious the new Broncos brass is still learning how to handle personel issues. Rod Smith maybe?

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Marshall has all the chips. Worst case he rides pine for 2 years, makes a nice living, then gets a nice contract from someone.

A serious contender would have to lose their #1 WR for us to get a 1st and 4th.

Somehow I dont see him or anyone benefitting from riding the pine for 2 years. Highly doubtful that leads to a lucrative contract.

...and there are contenders in need of a WR. Baltimore, Tennessee, NY Giants...

Wanna bet there is a reason they aren't beating down our door for Brandon's services?

claymore
08-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Somehow I dont see him or anyone benefitting from riding the pine for 2 years. Highly doubtful that leads to a lucrative contract.

...and there are contenders in need of a WR. Baltimore, Tennessee, NY Giants...

Wanna bet there is a reason they aren't beating down our door for Brandon's services?

I consider him benifiting from riding the pine cause even league minimum is a shit ton of cash.

All 3 of those teams are legiotimate contenders. I was pissed when Mason Brett Favred us by un retiring. I dont see fisher wasting another #1 on a mental case after Vince young, and Pac Man.

Giants are a possibilty. I dont know off hand who their #1 WR is.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Marshall has all the chips.

He does?

:confused:

claymore
08-25-2009, 07:41 AM
He does?

:confused:

Yes.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes.

He's injured, under contract and is refusing to learn the playbook. I'm failing to see how he has any chips...

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I consider him benifiting from riding the pine cause even league minimum is a shit ton of cash.

All 3 of those teams are legiotimate contenders. I was pissed when Mason Brett Favred us by un retiring. I dont see fisher wasting another #1 on a mental case after Vince young, and Pac Man.

Baltimore will take a step back this season. They basically have a solid running game and 2 TE's to pass to. Add that to their defense pretty much converting to a 4-3 and I'm not sold on their success. Adding a guy like Marshall would go a long way to help, but they dont have what Denver would want in return.

Fisher definitely doesnt seem like the type to want to have anything to do with Marshall. However...if any coach can get a guy on a leash, my money would be on Fisher. Either way, I see them taking a step back as well. Another team relying on the running game and a defense that just doesnt look as good as it did last year.

The Giants are an option, but they invested money in Nicks and Barden in the draft and Marshall would NEVER get along with Coughlin. Not to mention...I think they've had their fill of head case WR's.

So, You now have Marshall and the team with limited options. I can assure you McD wants him in the line-up...and quite honestly...Denver holds the chips. He's under contract for 2 more years and a new CBA could limit his options afterward. If necessary, he could just be tagged. So, in reality, Denver could keep him in town for another 4 years. At that point, he is a 30 year old WR with a degenerative hip and a chip on his shoulder. What kind of money will he get then?

Basically, if Denver wants to play hardball...they can

SR
08-25-2009, 07:47 AM

The dude from NC that they drafted in the first round. He'll be fine. He's a stud.

claymore
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
He's injured, under contract and is refusing to learn the playbook. I'm failing to see how he has any chips...All the Broncos can do is make him ride pine for 2 years while paying him an ass load of money, cut him, or trade him.

All 3 ways works in Marshall's favor.
He can get fined for like 4 games, but At that point its a battle of wills which Marshall is dumb enough to win.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
All the Broncos can do is make him ride pine for 2 years while paying him an ass load of money, cut him, or trade him.

He can get fined for like 4 games, but At that point its a battle of wills which Marshall is dumb enough to win.

but they wont be paying him that ass load for 2 years. After that they can tag him and he'll get a significant raise, but it wont be what he is looking for right now.

It's all irrelevant because there is no way he sits on the bench for the next 2 years anyway. I know everyone is convinced that McD is intentionally trying to destroy the organization as opposed to simply scaring the hell out of people with necessary changes, but he will utilize the talent he has.

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
but they wont be paying him that ass load for 2 years. After that they can tag him and he'll get a significant raise, but it wont be what he is looking for right now.

It's all irrelevant because there is no way he sits on the bench for the next 2 years anyway. I know everyone is convinced that McD is intentionally trying to destroy the organization as opposed to simply scaring the hell out of people with necessary changes, but he will utilize the talent he has.

I am just saying at his current salary. even if he makes $400,000 a year plus endorsemants, that is a shit ton to me. He wont hit the lottery pay day for 2 years, but Marshall could do allot worse than 400k a year. Or whatever his current salary is.

JMCD isnt trying to destroy the Broncos. He is doing it on accident.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
All the Broncos can do is make him ride pine for 2 years while paying him an ass load of money, cut him, or trade him.

See, that's the thing.

They'll fine him for conduct detrimental to the team, they already aren't paying him big bucks, and reports are that he's broke as it is.

After four games, he's riding the pine...so you let him ride the pine some more and you're still not paying him big bucks, and he's not going to get paid big bucks because he's a cancer.

If the dude doesn't want to play he screws himself double.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
JMCD isnt trying to destroy the Broncos. He is doing it on accident.

McDaniels has nothing to do with Marshall not wanting to play and not showing up.

Seriously...I can't even believe you're blaming this on McDaniels.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
McDaniels has nothing to do with Marshall not wanting to play and not showing up.

Really? At this point I expect most people in BroncoNation to blame McD for any parking tickets and mosquito bites they receive.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
He's injured, under contract and is refusing to learn the playbook. I'm failing to see how he has any chips...

I heard he does have a big bag of Frito Lays. :coffee:

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
See, that's the thing.

They'll fine him for conduct detrimental to the team, they already aren't paying him big bucks, and reports are that he's broke as it is.

After four games, he's riding the pine...so you let him ride the pine some more and you're still not paying him big bucks, and he's not going to get paid big bucks because he's a cancer.

If the dude doesn't want to play he screws himself double.

They can only do that for 4 games. Then he files a grievance. And most likely will see some of that money back. All the while devaluing his trade worth for the Broncos.

Marshall makes alot of money right now. Its not as much as he could make, but he makes allot.

The Broncos are the only one's that are in a crap situation here.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:13 AM

Emmm, he isnt making a crapload of money man. Hence why he and his agent are in such a hurry to get a new contract worked out.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
The Broncos are the only one's that are in a crap situation here.

Marshall is in a worse one. If he doesn't play he can't prove he's healthy, and if he doesn't play, or if he plays badly, he won't get the pay day he wants.

Hell, the Broncos really aren't in a crap situation at all.

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM

He is the head coach. He is fully responsible. JMCD could have gotten Marshall paid, or traded before this all blew up.

MOtorboat
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
He is the head coach. He is fully responsible. JMCD could have gotten Marshall paid, or traded before this all blew up.

He deserved neither. How is that McDaniels fault that he didn't cave in to a whiner?

Dear lord, have you just completely lost all perspective?

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Marshall is in a worse one. If he doesn't play he can't prove he's healthy, and if he doesn't play, or if he plays badly, he won't get the pay day he wants.

Hell, the Broncos really aren't in a crap situation at all.

Everyone in the league knows Marshall can play. He will get payed, and it might be 2 years down the road on some incentive laden contract, but he will get payed.

BM will not just slip into retirement after life with the Broncos.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
I am just saying at his current salary. even if he makes $400,000 a year plus endorsemants, that is a shit ton to me.

To someone like you and me, yes. To a top 10 receiver its like living on the streets. Brandon Marshall likes to wine and dine like the rest of them. He has at least 2 morgages that im aware of and at least had to shovel out some money to pay off his lawyer and court fees. For a WR who likes to live large like Marshall does 400,000 can go REAL quick.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Interesting. The last time McD gave into a whiner's demands, he started his own persecution. Now that he wont give in (assuming that is his power to begin with) he gets persecuted even more.

At some point even the biggest McDaniels haters have to look in the mirror and realize that they are just taking this blame game to unintelligent and ridiculous lengths.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Everyone in the league knows Marshall can play. He will get payed, and it might be 2 years down the road on some incentive laden contract, but he will get payed.

IF...and that's a ludicrous IF...but IF Denver sat him for two years, I can assure you that no team is going to give him a big payday...and if they do, it will be someone like the Raiders. At that point, it's even more obvious that money comes before team to Marshall. Those are the guys I want shipped out of Denver ASAP

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:22 AM
He deserved neither. How is that McDaniels fault that he didn't cave in to a whiner?

Dear lord, have you just completely lost all perspective?

You dont take over a team and go hard ass on your stars without earning their respect. Especiall when one of your stars is highly underpaid.

JMCD is not Belicheat. He hasnt earned anything yet, but he is handling busiuness like him.

No manager in the world can handle business like that.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:26 AM
You dont take over a team and go hard ass on your stars without earning their respect. Especiall when one of your stars is highly underpaid.

JMCD is not Belicheat. He hasnt earned anything yet, but he is handling busiuness like him.

No manager in the world can handle business like that.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is that NO manager in the world can come into a job and instill their methods of management until they have earned the respect of their employees and/or have been doing it for a long time?

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Interesting. The last time McD gave into a whiner's demands, he started his own persecution. Now that he wont give in (assuming that is his power to begin with) he gets persecuted even more.

At some point even the biggest McDaniels haters have to look in the mirror and realize that they are just taking this blame game to unintelligent and ridiculous lengths.He didnt give into a whiners demands. He initiated an issue with the starting QB. And in the end the QB said "fine trade me". and He did.

If JMCD wanted Cutler to stay, he would have stayed.

You guys keep on calling Cutler a whiner or a bitch or whatever. But the fact is he did nothing wrong.

IF...and that's a ludicrous IF...but IF Denver sat him for two years, I can assure you that no team is going to give him a big payday...and if they do, it will be someone like the Raiders. At that point, it's even more obvious that money comes before team to Marshall. Those are the guys I want shipped out of Denver ASAP
Im cool with Brandon leaving. I just hope we get good value.

Marshall has lost money. That is for sure, but the Broncos have lost Value. But BM will get payed. Mike Vick makes more than Marshall, and he just spent 2 years in prison.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
He didnt give into a whiners demands. He initiated an issue with the starting QB. And in the end the QB said "fine trade me". and He did.

You guys keep on calling Cutler a whiner or a bitch or whatever. But the fact is he did nothing wrong.

I'm STILL curious where everyone is getting this inside information. If anyone at this point cant see the million places where Cutler could have handled this differently, then they never will. I wont ever say McD handled the situation to perfection, but regardless of how things happened, it's obvious Cutler didnt want to be here after Shanny was let go. Just cant figure out how that's so hard to see.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:33 AM
He didnt give into a whiners demands. He initiated an issue with the starting QB. And in the end the QB said "fine trade me". and He did.

Horse pucky. Cutler was bitching and moaning before McD even took the job. Making demands like "You better not let Bates go" and so on. He was the only one that was carrying on like a little girl after Shanahan was cut loose. Then when McD was hearing offers to see how he could better the team Jay couldnt handle it and could never MOVE ON from it. Rather than go out and prove that he was the man for the job Jay folded up his tent and requested a trade and got his wish. So the whole "Jay didnt do anything wrong" excuse of BS.

Im cool with Brandon leaving. I just hope we get good value.

Not likely. If teams wanted Brandon that bad or felt he was worth the risk they would be offering more than they are.

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is that NO manager in the world can come into a job and instill their methods of management until they have earned the respect of their employees and/or have been doing it for a long time?

You cant come in trying to replace the best guys you have without earning respect.

If you took over a sales manager job, and tried replacing the companies best sales guy for a dude you worked with at the old company. There would be issues.

I cant think of any job where firing your best guys and replacing them with scrubs works well. ESPECIALLY if you have zero credentials as the Boss.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
You cant come in trying to replace the best guys you have without earning respect.

If you took over a sales manager job, and tried replacing the companies best sales guy for a dude you worked with at the old company. There would be issues.

I cant think of any job where firing your best guys and replacing them with scrubs works well. ESPECIALLY if you have zero credentials as the Boss.

If those best guys disrupt the team philosphy i can see them being removed. Thats not unheard of. Ive never seen when a new boss comes into play that the best workers walk up to him and say "you need to earn our respect" before we will listen to you. Thats just nonsense.

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Horse pucky. Cutler was bitching and moaning before McD even took the job. Making demands like "You better not let Bates go" and so on. He was the only one that was carrying on like a little girl after Shanahan was cut loose. Then when McD was hearing offers to see how he could better the team Jay couldnt handle it and could never MOVE ON from it. Rather than go out and prove that he was the man for the job Jay folded up his tent and requested a trade and got his wish. So the whole "Jay didnt do anything wrong" excuse of BS.

Not likely. If teams wanted Brandon that bad or felt he was worth the risk they would be offering more than they are.

So New England called us and wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel? We know thats not what happened. We still dont know what was said to him in the meeting in Denver. That meeting is where Cutler got pissed. After all of the trade stuff went down.

Teams will not offer a 1st and a 4th for BM because they know his value is decreasing. They would be dumb to offer that when we might take a second next month.

Plus teams are evaluting their teams in preseason to see if they need a guy like Marshall.

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
If those best guys disrupt the team philosphy i can see them being removed. Thats not unheard of. Ive never seen when a new boss comes into play that the best workers walk up to him and say "you need to earn our respect" before we will listen to you. Thats just nonsense.

You get your best guys on board with the team philosphy before you make waves.

You dont try to trade your best guys before you have any credibility.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:47 AM
So New England called us and wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel? We know thats not what happened. We still dont know what was said to him in the meeting in Denver. That meeting is where Cutler got pissed. After all of the trade stuff went down.

Oh, we do know why Cutler got pissed. He said so himself. He was upset because McDaniels couldnt give him a guarantee that he would never be traded. But McDaniels said nobody's job was guaranteed because in the end it was about doing whats best for the team. You were either on board or you werent and Cutler decided he didnt want to buy in and prove his worth to the new coach.

Teams will not offer a 1st and a 4th for BM because they know his value is decreasing. They would be dumb to offer that when we might take a second next month.

Plus teams are evaluting their teams in preseason to see if they need a guy like Marshall.

Uh, thats a stretch my friend. Teams arent offering anything for Marshall because they know he is a problem off the field. They arent offering anything because they know he is coming off a hip and hand injury which is to this date a HUGE question mark because Marshall refuses to get out there and show he is 100% like he says he is. For a team like Bmore he could really use a guy like Marshall waiting until preseason is over is actually a dumb move. So far Flacco has done well with Mason returning and now ive noticed a guy named Harper who has been working well with Smith who may just rise up the roster chart. So no, teams waiting until after the preseason could hurt Brandon's chances as opposed to helping his cause.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:49 AM

First of all, it's merely assumption that McD has anything to do with the Marshall debacle. This all stems from Marshall wanting more money and having issues with the training staff and PR staff. McD has nothing to do with any of those 3 areas and has been nothing but supportive of marshall. So let's stop talking about best players as a plural. Marshall is in his current situation for one reason...himself.

As far as Cutler goes, the truth and resolution will never be seen nor met and everyone will always assume they have the inside knowledge on what really happened. but regardless of how it all went down, you are going to have a hard time convincing ANYONE that a coach would go into his first job and INTENTIONALLY AND WILLINGLY discuss getting rid of top talent without being given a reason to do so.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh, we do know why Cutler got pissed. He said so himself. He was upset because McDaniels couldnt give him a guarantee that he would never be traded. But McDaniels said nobody's job was guaranteed because in the end it was about doing whats best for the team. You were either on board or you werent and Cutler decided he didnt want to buy in and prove his worth to the new coach.

AKA - Pretentious egomaniac

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM

And yet ironically, 51 other guys who dont have egos are on board with his philosphy. Who would of thunk it? :lol:

Fan in Exile
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Clay I think you're missing that Marshall isn't just concerned about this next contract he's also concerned about the one after that. He needs a contract and soon or he's going to lose a lot of money.

He's 25 right now if he signs a five year contract then at 30 he still has a chance to sign another good one. If he sits for 2 years making 2.2 mil and then whatever the franchise tag is then he's probably going to be 32 at his next contract and there's no shot a big deal for that one then.

I will agree that Marshall is going to get paid on his next contract but the one after that really depends on how soon this one gets done.

Northman
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
First of all, it's merely assumption that McD has anything to do with the Marshall debacle. This all stems from Marshall wanting more money and having issues with the training staff and PR staff. McD has nothing to do with any of those 3 areas and has been nothing but supportive of marshall. So let's stop talking about best players as a plural. Marshall is in his current situation for one reason...himself.

Not only that but Marshall has been just as positive about McD as McD has been about him. This has to do with money and that falls on Bowlen, not McDaniels.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 08:58 AM
And yet ironically, 51 other guys who dont have egos are on board with his philosphy. Who would of thunk it? :lol:

That's been my point the whole time. If McD is such a douche then why arent the plethera of other skilled veterans on this team up in arms about it? Bailey, Dawk, Royal, Clady, Stokes, DJ...

...they've all been positive. Even when they have been honest and said they were unsure at first, they've stated that they are more comfortable now. Cutler never allowed that process to happen and Marshall is OBVIOUSLY all about money

claymore
08-25-2009, 08:58 AM
AKA - Pretentious egomaniac
Or he made an informed decision. I admit JC could have man'ed up returned calls and been here now. To say JMCD didnt cause the rift, and fail to fix his mistake is ridiculous. (thats not what you said, im just stating that)

Its Ironic that we have like 50 new guys, that are just trying to make an NFL team.

Clay I think you're missing that Marshall isn't just concerned about this next contract he's also concerned about the one after that. He needs a contract and soon or he's going to lose a lot of money.

He's 25 right now if he signs a five year contract then at 30 he still has a chance to sign another good one. If he sits for 2 years making 2.2 mil and then whatever the franchise tag is then he's probably going to be 32 at his next contract and there's no shot a big deal for that one then.

I will agree that Marshall is going to get paid on his next contract but the one after that really depends on how soon this one gets done.I wont get into his 2nd big contract because he would have to do good on his first big contract to earn a second one.

I do think he will get payed. By a team other than the Broncos. My wish is that JMCD handles this quick so we can cut our losses at talent/ and trade value.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Or he made an informed decision. I admit JC could have man'ed up returned calls and been here now. To say JMCD didnt cause the rift, and fail to fix his mistake is ridiculous. (thats not what you said, im just stating that)

Its Ironic that we have like 50 new guys, that are just trying to make an NFL team.

I wont get into his 2nd big contract because he would have to do good on his first big contract to earn a second one.

I do think he will get payed. By a team other than the Broncos. My wish is that JMCD handles this quick so we can cut our losses at talent/ and trade value.

**So basically, we can agree that the blame cant lay wholly at McD's feet. Even if we assume he made a mistake...Cutler punked out afterward and never really allowed for it to be rectified.

**Take another look at the roster and look at the veterans on this team that havent complained once and support the coach. I dont think we have 51, 41, 31 or even 21 newbies

**Marshall may never get the first big contract. If he plays throught hsi contract and we tag him a few times, he'll be 30 by the time his first chance comes up

claymore
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
That's been my point the whole time. If McD is such a douche then why arent the plethera of other skilled veterans on this team up in arms about it? Bailey, Dawk, Royal, Clady, Stokes, DJ...

...they've all been positive. Even when they have been honest and said they were unsure at first, they've stated that they are more comfortable now. Cutler never allowed that process to happen and Marshall is OBVIOUSLY all about money

Dawkins is only here cause we payed him more than the Eagles. So he is all about the money, and really shouldnt say anything. Champ cant say anything cause he is getting payed as well, so is DJ and Clady. Stokley is just happy to be in the league and making what he is making cause he is at the end of his career.

In the end they are all about the money. Try paying Champ $400k a year.

claymore
08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
**So basically, we can agree that the blame cant lay wholly at McD's feet. Even if we assume he made a mistake...Cutler punked out afterward and never really allowed for it to be rectified.Yes. I put some of the blame on Bowlen to. He should have been the adult in the situation.

**Take another look at the roster and look at the veterans on this team that havent complained once and support the coach. I dont think we have 51, 41, 31 or even 21 newbies
We have like 40 new guys. I forgot the exact number. As for Vets, in the grand scheme of things not many of those guys opinion mean anything to me. Dawkins is a bandaid. Champ probably wont be here in a couple years. DJ, I think we ruined him and never let him develop. Royal, and Clady are our only stars right now IMO (cant judge this draft yet).

**Marshall may never get the first big contract. If he plays throught hsi contract and we tag him a few times, he'll be 30 by the time his first chance comes upYeah, but if we tag him a few times, that equates to a very big contract. thats what 30-40 million for 3 years?

Mike
08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Anybody ever see the movie "Groundhog Day"?

Northman
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Dawkins is only here cause we payed him more than the Eagles. So he is all about the money, and really shouldnt say anything. Champ cant say anything cause he is getting payed as well, so is DJ and Clady. Stokley is just happy to be in the league and making what he is making cause he is at the end of his career.

In the end they are all about the money. Try paying Champ $400k a year.

Yet, none of those guys have 13 arrests.

claymore
08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Yet, none of those guys have 13 arrests.

Yeah Marshall loves trouble. Cant deny that.

Tned
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Lost in all this is Clayton's article.

He essentially says:

The Broncos are going to suck, Orton can't score 30 with or without Marshall, they are going to get killed when they play the tough stretch of games after the first three, so Marshall on the team or off won't matter.

Northman
08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Lost in all this is Clayton's article.

He essentially says:

The Broncos are going to suck, Orton can't score 30 with or without Marshall, they are going to get killed when they play the tough stretch of games after the first three, so Marshall on the team or off won't matter.

Guess its a good thing they have to actually play the games. I wonder if Clayton can predict the lotto numbers so i can win and retire as well. :lol:

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Clayton is a douche. Sometimes I just want to break his glasses and shave his goofy head

topscribe
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Baltimore will take a step back this season. They basically have a solid running game and 2 TE's to pass to. Add that to their defense pretty much converting to a 4-3 and I'm not sold on their success. Adding a guy like Marshall would go a long way to help, but they dont have what Denver would want in return.

Fisher definitely doesnt seem like the type to want to have anything to do with Marshall. However...if any coach can get a guy on a leash, my money would be on Fisher. Either way, I see them taking a step back as well. Another team relying on the running game and a defense that just doesnt look as good as it did last year.

The Giants are an option, but they invested money in Nicks and Barden in the draft and Marshall would NEVER get along with Coughlin. Not to mention...I think they've had their fill of head case WR's.

So, You now have Marshall and the team with limited options. I can assure you McD wants him in the line-up...and quite honestly...Denver holds the chips. He's under contract for 2 more years and a new CBA could limit his options afterward. If necessary, he could just be tagged. So, in reality, Denver could keep him in town for another 4 years. At that point, he is a 30 year old WR with a degenerative hip and a chip on his shoulder. What kind of money will he get then?

Basically, if Denver wants to play hardball...they can

I was going to post my own comment in here, but I don't think I could say it any better than this . . .

-----

topscribe
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Clayton is a douche. Sometimes I just want to break his glasses and shave his goofy head

Ordinarily I'd have to agree with you (although maybe not so violently :laugh: ).
But this year's schedule is the last thing a team, who is trying to mold together
so many new pieces at once, needs. This could be brutal . . .

-----

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Ordinarily I'd have to agree with you (although maybe not so violently :laugh: ).
But this year's schedule is the last thing a team, who is trying to mold together
so many new pieces at once, needs. This could be brutal . . .

-----

...or it could be a blessing. Suppose they go out as a team and beat one of the tougher teams on the schedule early in the season. Imagine what that does for the confidence of the team as a whole.

Or...they at least stay competetive with a tough schedule and get a more realistic 2nd place schedule next year and improve upon that.

Either way, I think they can take positives from it all

Tned
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
...or it could be a blessing. Suppose they go out as a team and beat one of the tougher teams on the schedule early in the season. Imagine what that does for the confidence of the team as a whole.

Or...they at least stay competetive with a tough schedule and get a more realistic 2nd place schedule next year and improve upon that.

Either way, I think they can take positives from it all

I hope next year's second place schedule doesn't resemble this year's second place schedule. :lol:

Brings up an interesting point. Wasn't this the last year of the predefined schedule rotation, or is there one year left?

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I hope next year's second place schedule doesn't resemble this year's second place schedule. :lol:

Brings up an interesting point. Wasn't this the last year of the predefined schedule rotation, or is there one year left?

Yeah, we got the shaft with Indianapolis and New England being 2nd place teams

Thnikkaman
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Everyone in the league has also seen him drop ball after ball in the end zone.

Lonestar
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
not sure that this was said but ..

marshall will be a RFA (3.2mil) in 2010 unless they sign a new CBA

which means if we tender him high it could mean a 1st and 4th draft choice.. If we match their offer (unlikely IMO considering his baggage.) then he is ours.

marshall can be franchised for two consecutive years.. and then traded if someone is dumb enough to do so..

which mean he would be 29+ year old when his next contract would be available to him..

I can only hope he gets his head out of his rectum or they find someone dumb enough to get top value for him..

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
not sure that this was said but ..

marshall will be a RFA (3.2mil) in 2010 unless they sign a new CBA

which means if we tender him high it could mean a 1st and 4th draft choice.. If we match their offer (unlikely IMO considering his baggage.) then he is ours.

marshall can be franchised for two consecutive years.. and then traded if someone is dumb enough to do so..

which mean he would be 29+ year old when his next contract would be available to him..

I can only hope he gets his head out of his rectum or they find someone dumb enough to get top value for him..

Yeah...I covered this somewhere earlier, but a different spin might help the understanding

ursamajor
08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
If those best guys disrupt the team philosphy i can see them being removed. Thats not unheard of. Ive never seen when a new boss comes into play that the best workers walk up to him and say "you need to earn our respect" before we will listen to you. Thats just nonsense.100% untrue. I have worked in sales. You dont produce, you are dogshit. You produce, you are golden. No one cares about attitude. To get a rough idea of what it is like, watch Glen Garry Glen Ross. Most accurate potrayal of the atmosphere of a sales ofice i have ever seen.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Anything can be twisted to fit an arguement.

topscribe
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
If those best guys disrupt the team philosphy i can see them being removed. Thats not unheard of. Ive never seen when a new boss comes into play that the best workers walk up to him and say "you need to earn our respect" before we will listen to you. Thats just nonsense.100% untrue. I have worked in sales. You dont produce, you are dogshit. You produce, you are golden. No one cares about attitude. To get a rough idea of what it is like, watch Glen Garry Glen Ross. Most accurate potrayal of the atmosphere of a sales ofice i have ever seen.

Sales is a bit different, Ursa. In most employment capacities, being a good
employee involves more than production. You need to respect your boss and
return his calls; you need to refrain from bashing your employer in public; and
you need to get along with staff and the other employees. Employers have little
use for "good producers" who are disruptions to their entire organization.

-----

SR
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Marshall makes alot of money right now. Its not as much as he could make, but he makes allot.

I have nothing useful to add, but this did kinda make me chuckle a little.