PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will consider moving Orlando Franklin from OT to OG

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Bill Streeter in Thornton:

Q: There is been a lot of talk about moving Orlando Franklin from offensive tackle to guard. What are the chances that the Broncos draft a right tackle and move Franklin to guard? Are there many right tackle prospects in this draft or free agency? Franklin seems to struggle at pass protection at times.

A: Bill, the Broncos have mulled the idea about moving Franklin to guard since last offseason. Franklin is a physical drive blocker who has performed far better in the run game than he has from time to time in pass protection.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22661285/broncos-will-consider-moving-orlando-franklin-from-ot

Simple Jaded
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Is it just me or does this article just stop mid-sentence?.......

OrangeHoof
02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Broncos will consider moving Orlando Franklin (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/503592-Broncos-will-consider-moving-Orlando-Franklin-from-OT-to-OG)
Will they need a forklift?

dogfish
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
works for me. . . draft a big right tackle like DJ fluker, move orlando to right guard, and we've got a monster run blocking side for the next decade-- something that would really help the transition to osweiler or whoever when peyton retires. . .

ask kuper to renegotiate and compete at left guard, bring back koppen to compete/backup the center spot, and the entire line looks much stronger. . .

jhildebrand
02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
But posters on this board said it was a bad idea and only idiots would want to do such a thing. Guess the FO are idiots and have no idea :noidea:

dogfish
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
But posters on this board said it was a bad idea and only idiots would want to do such a thing. Guess the FO are idiots and have no idea :noidea:

players only switch positions in madden, J-- it's absurd to think such a thing could happen in real football. . . :listen:

BroncoWave
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM

It's very fortunate for us that the coaches and front office don't take suggestions from this board. We'd be out of players because we'd cut everyone who got injured or had a bad game! :lol:

MOtorboat
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
If they do it right, draft a tackle in the first and move Franklin over, that does mean they are either signing in free agency or ignoring the core of the defense again.

I really see no reason for it...

OrangeHoof
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Tackles move to guard in the NFL all the time because tackles must have a certain skill set in the NFL, particularly fast feet to defend against edge rushers. Usually, the best linemen in any college program are the tackles just like the best DBs in any college program are the corners but if they just don't have the tools in the pros, coaches will consider switching them to guard or safety as it were and some of them excel at the new less-demanding position.

The big worry switching a tackle to guard is how they handle being physical in limited space. Can they be effective "in a phone booth" and can they show the power to neutralize larger DTs than the DEs they faced on the edge?

MOtorboat
02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Tackles move to guard in the NFL all the time because tackles must have a certain skill set in the NFL, particularly fast feet to defend against edge rushers. Usually, the best linemen in any college program are the tackles just like the best DBs in any college program are the corners but if they just don't have the tools in the pros, coaches will consider switching them to guard or safety as it were and some of them excel at the new less-demanding position.

The big worry switching a tackle to guard is how they handle being physical in limited space. Can they be effective "in a phone booth" and can they show the power to neutralize larger DTs than the DEs they faced on the edge?

And that pesky problem of having to find someone to play the position they vacated. It's also not that common.

They can move him inside, but then they have question marks at one position instead of two. The only way Denver does this is if they draft a guy they think will play RT for the next 10 years. And that's still no guarantee.

Slick
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Has anyone directly from the organization commented on this? Seems like speculating and nothing else.

Ziggy
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Has anyone directly from the organization commented on this? Seems like speculating and nothing else.

Exactly. None of the sports writers around here are insiders any more. They haven't been since Adam Schefter left. He still knows more about the inner workings of Dove Valley than the local guys.

D1g1tal j1m
02-25-2013, 11:43 PM
This move make sense. During the draft Franklin was scouted as a better guard than Tackle. He doesn't have the quick feet that you would like to have in a tackle. He is a stud run blocker at he tackle position and that translate well as a guard. A solid right tackle is easier to find than a solid left tackle, so finding a replacement for Franklin on the right side shouldn't be too difficult.

NightTerror218
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
I doubt it happens when you have 2 pro bowl alternative guards. It would make sense if they want to ditch kuper with injury issues. I think depth is an issue for sure. I would get OL in 3rd or later unless they get a C.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2013, 01:23 AM
I doubt it happens when you have 2 pro bowl alternative guards. It would make sense if they want to ditch kuper with injury issues. I think depth is an issue for sure. I would get OL in 3rd or later unless they get a C.

Maybe they could trade Zane Beadles to the Jets for Darrelle Revis and Sharrif Floyd. They may not be able to afford his contract demands anyway.......

Timmy!
02-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Ya....not happening.

TXBRONC
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Ya....not happening.

They're considering it so it's possible that Franklin gets moved inside. I wouldn't see it a demotion but rather away of getting putting Franklin in an even better position to succeed. However, Elway and Fox kicking the idea around doesn't mean they will do it. In the 2011 draft they considered moving back into the first round to draft Nick Fairley but then decided against it.

MOtorboat
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
They're considering it so it's possible that Franklin gets moved inside. I wouldn't see it a demotion but rather away of getting putting Franklin in an even better position to succeed. However, Elway and Fox kicking the idea around doesn't mean they will do it. In the 2011 draft they considered moving back into the first round to draft Nick Fairley but then decided against it.

Actually, at this point we have a journalist considering it...

TXBRONC
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Actually, at this point we have a journalist considering it...

That's really not the point. The point is if they are considering it that doesn't mean they'll do it.

MOtorboat
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
That's really not the point. The point is if they are considering it that doesn't mean they'll do it.

Right, but we don't even know if they are considering it or not.

I really hate when Legwold writes the mailbags and writes it as if he's an exec with the team. Even it's just a "source" tell me you have it.

I'm left assuming in this case...

TXBRONC
02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Right, but we don't even know if they are considering it or not.

I really hate when Legwold writes the mailbags and writes it as if he's an exec with the team. Even it's just a "source" tell me you have it.

I'm left assuming in this case...

It's not some major thing that if he doesn't tell me that he has a source that's all that big of deal.

Again if Elway and Fox are considering it doesn't mean much until they actually make the move.

Slick
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Where has Fox or Elway said anything about it Tex?

TXBRONC
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Where has Fox or Elway said anything about it Tex?

Elway and Fox don't tell us everything that is going on behind close doors.

jhildebrand
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Someone should let them know he is too tall at 6'6".

As for it being speculation....hardly. Legwold is a guy around the team every single day. I highly doubt he would write it if it hadnt been mentioned or discussed in some form or fashion.

The Broncos were in love with Decastro last year. I think they are still in love with the idea of a true pass blocking RT and wouldn't be surprised if they go that route this year. While I wouldn't be too upset over that the D is what needs the attention. This team needs a player at every part of the middle-DT, LB, S.

Lancane
02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
His talent leads people to believe that he could fit inside and succeed, his physique however says something else all together. He has been rated by players in the NFL as the 6th Best Right Tackle in the league I believe two times now. Something to consider, if J.D. Walton and Chris Kuper both fully return and are healthy, Denver will have all five starters returning which includes an All-Pro Left Tackle, Pro-Bowl Left Guard and Right Guard and capable Center and Right Tackle. Philip Burke will be challenging J.D. Walton's and possibly Kuper's spot, and Walton might be given a chance at guard. Kicking Franklin inside makes sense if they are planning to have him replace Kuper and are drafting one of the top ranked right tackles, otherwise this could be fruitless.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Too tall? Franklin measured in at 6-5 1/2 at the combine, Kuper came in at 6-4 3/8, that "ProBowl" LG came in at 6-4 3/8. I wonder where in that extra 1 1/8" does a player get to be too tall to play inside.......