PDA

View Full Version : TD on Work Comp

Rex
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/nationworld/wire/la-fi-proathletes-workers-comp-20130223,0,4488516.story

SACRAMENTO — In his seven-year career with the Denver Broncos, running back Terrell Davis, a former Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, dazzled fans with his speed and elusiveness.

At the end of his rookie year in 1995, he signed a $6.8-million, five-year contract. Off the field he endorsed Campbell's soup. And when he hung up his cleats, he reported for the National Football League Network and appeared in movies and TV shows.

So it may surprise Californians to find out that in 2011, Davis got a $199,000 injury settlement from a California workers' compensation court for injuries related to football. This came despite the fact Davis was employed by a Colorado team and played just nine times in California during an 88-game career, according to the NFL.

Thnikkaman
02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow, glad I'm not a tax paying California resident.

BORDERLINE
02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I pay taxes here in Cali. And for those two super bowls......I'm not upset

BroncoWave
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I pay taxes here in Cali. And for those two super bowls......I'm not upset

I bet your tax money has gone to workers comp for Raiders players too, however.

Davii
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow, glad I'm not a tax paying California resident.

California sucks. If you want to learn how a government should NOT use taxpayer money California will show you.

SR
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
I bet your tax money has gone to workers comp for Raiders players too, however.

All the OTHER absolutely stupid shit Californians have to pay for is what'd really piss me off. This is just one of those shoulder shruggers IMO.

Npba900
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
California sucks. If you want to learn how a government should NOT use taxpayer money California will show you.

True. The middle class is taxed too much from the Goverment and pays in taxes for Corporate Welfare and subsidies for millionaires and billionaires. We are doubled taxed most definitely.

BORDERLINE
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Let's make it clear now in those cases I'm really upset.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2013, 01:00 AM
I have no opinion on this whatsoever.......

Poet
02-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Dafaq?

Dzone
02-27-2013, 09:45 AM
well, since TD has been robbed by the Hall Of Fame voters, maybe he should get compensated. Sue the NFL for the rip off and all the money TD has lost by getting screwed

OrangeHoof
02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Nobody seems to ask in these stories "so, what did you do with the hundreds of thousands, sometimes millions of dollars you received for playing a sport"? Whether ex-football stars have medical needs that deserve workers comp is one question - why they need the government to pay them after signing million-dollar contracts is another.

It's a crime so many players go to college and yet never get taught how to handle their money. I realize a lot of these guys are from poor income neighborhoods and money flows through them like melted butter but, geez, somebody hands me $500,000 and, even if taxes take a big chunk of it, I'm doing my best to hold onto the rest.

That guys like Vince Young and Andre Rison are broke just makes no logical sense if anyone had just given them some stable financial advice.

Chef Zambini
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
bingo! penniless millionaires! shame on their agents, accountants and lawyers and shame on them!
an average human being in america can live off the interest of a million dollars.
i shed no tears for those who squander their riches!
as for workers comp for injuries/
yawn. we taxpayers pay for boob jobs and plastic surgery for military wives and politicians !
a soldier cant get a flk jacket but a generals wife gets a face lift!
athletes are so good at pissing away money, they should be politicians !