PDA

View Full Version : Cutler eager to face Young

omac
11-15-2007, 03:00 AM
From Broncos07.com Live News Feed section of the forums ....

http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/nov/15/cutler-eager-to-face-young/

Cutler eager to face Young
Texas standout was drafted eight spots before Vanderbilt QB

Associated Press
Thursday, November 15, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — Jay Cutler doesn't take the insult too seriously, especially since it came from a cartoon character.

The Broncos quarterback was dissed by Stan on a recent episode of "South Park" when Stan said, upon being introduced to him, "You kinda (stink), but my dad said you might be good someday."

Cutler laughed at the comment Wednesday.

"It was cool," he said. "I thought it was funny. They can make fun of me if they want to."

After all, he has bigger scores to settle, like proving he's the best quarterback out of the 2006 draft class. Tennessee's Vince Young (picked third) and Arizona's Matt Leinart (10th) were both selected ahead of him.

"I think everyone in the league has a little sense of pride, a little chip on their shoulder, when they get passed over by teams," said Cutler, who was taken with the 11th pick after the Broncos traded up to nab him. "I want to play well, but I have to move past all that stuff."

Still, he can't wait to face off against Young on Monday night in front of a national audience.

"Going against Vince, it's going to be fun," Cutler said. "It's a friendly competition."

The two had a quarterbacks' night out in October. Cutler, a Vanderbilt product, showed up in Nashville, Tenn., during the Broncos' bye week to watch a Commodores game and then went bowling with Young.

"He's a cool guy," Young said. "That was my first time even getting a chance to sit down with Jay, and just talk to him, understand who he is as a person. He was a good guy to meet."

Young and Cutler drew constant stares at the alley.

"We're just sitting down talking and watching the people walking by and saying, 'Hey, Vince Young and Jay Cutler are over there talking,'" Young said.

Cutler doesn't pay attention to the stats of Young. Or what type of numbers Leinart is putting up for that matter.

He just monitors how he's playing. Cutler has thrown for 1,882 yards and nine touchdowns this season. He's also been picked nine times.

"A few more interceptions than I thought I would," he said with a grin. "But I'm still learning."

In comparison, Young has thrown for 1,112 yards, four touchdown passes and 10 interceptions. He's also run for 217 yards a two touchdowns.

Young is coming off a game in which he threw a career-high 41 passes in a 28-13 loss to Jacksonville. He finished 24-for-41 for a career-high 257 yards, and rushed for another 52 yards.

Tim Crowder can't wait to get his hands on Young — or at least make the attempt. Crowder was teammates with Young at the University of Texas and the Longhorns had one rule: don't touch Young.

"We would've got kicked off the team if we would've touched him," Crowder said with a laugh. "It was fun being out there with him. He's got a motor mouth. He never shuts up. Vince and I have been talking all summer about playing. It's going to be fun."

Since Cutler played down the road at Vanderbilt, the Titans knew quite a bit about him. On draft day, though, the team went with Young.

"I wouldn't have minded staying there," Cutler said. "I had a lot of friends and had a lot of fans. But it didn't work out."

In a way, though, it did. Titans coach Jeff Fisher thought enough of Cutler to give him a glowing review to Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan, who counts Fisher as one of his closest friends, took the endorsement to heart and traded up to draft Cutler.

Walker making strides

Javon Walker still can't go full-speed at practice, but he's getting there.

The wide receiver hasn't played since Week 3 because an injured right knee. He underwent surgery on the knee in mid-October.

"I ran around a little bit today," Walker said. "Whenever they feel comfortable for me to get out there and start practicing, that's what I'm going to do."

Walker shined for the Broncos early in the season, catching 17 passes for 220 yards in the team's first two games. His effectiveness was limited in the team's third game of the season against Jacksonville, though, as he had only two catches for 10 yards. He hasn't seen the field since.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan hasn't said whether Walker will be available for Monday night's game against Tennessee.

Walker isn't counting himself out just yet.

"I never said anything," Walker said. "I'm going to take the time to do whatever the coaches need me to do. They just don't want anything to be another setback."

Notable

Running back Travis Henry didn't practice on Wednesday. He's nursing a sore left knee. Shanahan said he expected Henry to return to action on Thursday. ... Safety John Lynch is also expected to test his neck Thursday when the Broncos go full-speed in practice. "We'll see where he's at tomorrow," Shanahan said. "He said he's ready to go. Hopefully there's no setback when he does hit."

gobroncsnv
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
"I want to play well, but I have to move past all that stuff" -- Cutler speaking about where he was drafted compared to Young and Leinart.

Here's where Jay shows off his real smarts. If he tries to get this to be a competition between he and Young, the way so many are trying to do for him, he will lose focus on what the real deal is... we need to win the game, not worry about if he can outshine his draft classmate. Jay's keeping a level head about him, and THAT is what I admire about him. Leave the "Me's-a-ME" crap to the TO types.

The Titans drafted Young because they were built around McNair. Hoping that they would catch a similar bolt of lightning. Young has much better wheels, and is not nearly the passer that Steve is (was?). Doesn't shock me at all that they went after him first.

Jay will continue to grow and develop here as long as we can get leak-free pockets. He runs well, is getting MUCH better at avoiding pressure, but I can't wait to see how he'll play when our Oline improves.

Tned
11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Jay will continue to grow and develop here as long as we can get leak-free pockets. He runs well, is getting MUCH better at avoiding pressure, but I can't wait to see how he'll play when our Oline improves.

If our O-line improves. This level of o-line play has been pretty consistant during the Shanahan era. Maybe it is a 'little' worse right now with all the changes and injuries, but in terms of pass protection it's close to on par. This is why the only way the Denver offense has been successful, is when they move the pocket and create misdirection.

For many, many years, the Denver offense has only worked when the running game worked (o-line and RB), which setup play action, both straight drop and rollouts. Without a solid running game, setting up play action, our o-line is simply to small to compete in straight up pass protection, and this has been the case for many, many years.

So, I agree that the line is a big part of whether or not this team wins down the stretch, but I don't think it will be via a leak proof pocket, because I don't think they are capable of that, but instead by opening up running lanes like they did in KC.

TXBRONC
11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
"I want to play well, but I have to move past all that stuff" -- Cutler speaking about where he was drafted compared to Young and Leinart.

Here's where Jay shows off his real smarts. If he tries to get this to be a competition between he and Young, the way so many are trying to do for him, he will lose focus on what the real deal is... we need to win the game, not worry about if he can outshine his draft classmate. Jay's keeping a level head about him, and THAT is what I admire about him. Leave the "Me's-a-ME" crap to the TO types.

The Titans drafted Young because they were built around McNair. Hoping that they would catch a similar bolt of lightning. Young has much better wheels, and is not nearly the passer that Steve is (was?). Doesn't shock me at all that they went after him first.

If I may NV from what remember, Fisher would have drafted Cutler instead of Young, but Bud Adams wanted Young so they took him.

Astrass
11-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Wonder if Selvin has had anything to say about this game too..

gobroncsnv
11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
If I may NV from what remember, Fisher would have drafted Cutler instead of Young, but Bud Adams wanted Young so they took him.

Actually, I think I remember that as well, now that you mention... but the way the Titans were built when they had McNair, and now Young, there are a lot of similarities, if you remember the McNair of his youth. I don't know, maybe with Adams, it was a Texas thing, especially since Young is from Houston.