PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Claim Spann Off Waivers

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-claim-spann-off-waivers/

The Broncos on Monday claimed defensive back Antwain Spann off waivers from Buffalo and waived receiver Travis Shelton.

Spann played for New England from 2006 to 2008 and competed in training camp this season with the Buffalo Bills. He entered the league with the New York Giants in 2005 as an undrafted free agent.

Spann has appeared in 19 career regular-season games and totaled 11 special-teams tackles along with one defensive stop. He has also played in three postseason games, notching two special teams tackles.

Ravage!!!
08-24-2009, 06:12 PM
phwew.. I was worried we wouldn't get the chance to snag another ex-patriot :lol:

MOtorboat
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
:championship:

Grover
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Carter and Smith were both hurt in the Seattle game. Not sure how badly, as that's top secret.

This guy might just be a stopgap for ten days until our guys are healthy. I know one thing, he's got experience in three playoff games, so maybe he can share that experience with the 70% of our players that don't have any.

Disclosure: I made up the 70% number above. I have no idea what the percentage really is.

dogfish
08-24-2009, 06:55 PM
:championship:

you stole my line, bitch!

:yardog:

Broncos Mtnman
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, that's a relief.

We haven't signed an ex-Patriot in nearly a week.

:coffee:

Mike
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Another Patriot? Get a rope....or some other overreaction. :coffee:

LoyalSoldier
08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Patriots west.

Noticehow we are picking up all the cast offs rather than any reasonably good players?

MOtorboat
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Patriots west.

Noticehow we are picking up all the cast offs rather than any reasonably good players?

I don't think the Smith, Paxton, Jordan or Gaffney pick ups are that bad. I think this dude is just camp fodder. Just by the shear numbers, we've got way too many other defensive backs for him to stick, unless he does something special.

dogfish
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
just get vince wilfork next year, josh, and all will be forgiven. . . .

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 10:01 PM
By The Denver Post

Posted: 08/24/2009 06:29:19 PM MDT
Updated: 08/24/2009 06:31:45 PM MDT

The Broncos can't get enough former New England Patriots. They signed Antwain Spann, a special teams coverage contributor for New England from 2006-08, today and waived receiver Travis Shelton.

Spann is the second former Patriot picked up by the Broncos in the past week. The Broncos acquired 5-technique defensive end Le Kevin Smith in a trade with New England last week. Smith was playing with the first team defense by the third series in the preseason game Saturday.

Other 2008 Patriots brought here by McDaniels, who was New England's offensive coordinator from 2006-08: Receiver Jabar Gaffney, running back LaMont Jordan and long snapper Lonie Paxton.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13195223?source=rss

TXBRONC
08-24-2009, 10:16 PM
just get vince wilfork next year, josh, and all will be forgiven. . . .

The only way that happens is if McDaniels has pictures of Belichick in a compromising position with some little tart. :D

dogfish
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
The only way that happens is if McDaniels has pictures of Belichick in a compromising position with some little tart. :D

not necessarily. . . i know what you mean, but the pats under bellyache have a firmly established tradition of not overpaying for veteran players. . . they traded deion branch rather than pay him what he was looking for, and they let asante samuel walk. . . so far it doesn't seem like they've shown much inclination to re-sign wilfork, and they did spend a second round pick on nosetackle ron brace this year, as well as several later picks on developmental DTs like myron pryor. . .

i kinda think they're hedging their bets and waiting to see if one of those young guys can step up, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket in case they don't know for sure by the end of the year. . . i know vince has said that he isn't necessarily looking to break the bank, he wants to stay in NE and he just wants a fair deal, and i know they place a lot of value on their DLs. . . but i won't be a bit surprised if they franchise him next year and then let him walk the following season, just like they did with samuel. . . .

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 10:30 PM
not necessarily. . . i know what you mean, but the pats under bellyache have a firmly established tradition of not overpaying for veteran players. . . they traded deion branch rather than pay him what he was looking for, and they let asante samuel walk. . . so far it doesn't seem like they've shown much inclination to re-sign wilfork, and they did spend a second round pick on nosetackle ron brace this year, as well as several later picks on developmental DTs like myron pryor. . .

i kinda think they're hedging their bets and waiting to see if one of those young guys can step up, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket in case they don't know for sure by the end of the year. . . i know vince has said that he isn't necessarily looking to break the bank, he wants to stay in NE and he just wants a fair deal, and i know they place a lot of value on their DLs. . . but i won't be a bit surprised if they franchise him next year and then let him walk the following season, just like they did with samuel. . . .

they have a habit of letting quality players go DB to many to count the let another DT go a few years back, Bledso was allowed to walk.. there 4-5 players in KC that came over..

if they ask to much they are allowed to mosey on down the gold brick road..

BCJ
08-25-2009, 01:19 AM
At least we didnt dump a quality guy to let a former Patriot take his place like our durable long snapper Mike Leach.... What? McDaniels didnt? He did? F! Never mind.

honz
08-25-2009, 01:27 AM
I like how people say "Patriots West" like it's a bad thing. You know all Bronco fans are jealous of the success that NE has had over the past decade or so...

Requiem / The Dagda
08-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Just goes to show that nepotism really isn't exclusive to Shanahan. At any case, it is quite understandable. With the injuries listed, we needed to bring someone in. It isn't surprising that it's a player McDaniels has probably interacted with and knows first hand. Familiarity can be a good thing and I think it is obvious that Josh believes this guy is coachable in some manner. Oh well.

LoyalSoldier
08-25-2009, 01:33 AM
I like how people say "Patriots West" like it's a bad thing. You know all Bronco fans are jealous of the success that NE has had over the past decade or so...

I say it because the last two attempts to copy the patriots has failed.

topscribe
08-25-2009, 01:51 AM
By The Denver Post

Posted: 08/24/2009 06:29:19 PM MDT
Updated: 08/24/2009 06:31:45 PM MDT

The Broncos can't get enough former New England Patriots. They signed Antwain Spann, a special teams coverage contributor for New England from 2006-08, today and waived receiver Travis Shelton.

Spann is the second former Patriot picked up by the Broncos in the past week. The Broncos acquired 5-technique defensive end Le Kevin Smith in a trade with New England last week. Smith was playing with the first team defense by the third series in the preseason game Saturday.

Other 2008 Patriots brought here by McDaniels, who was New England's offensive coordinator from 2006-08: Receiver Jabar Gaffney, running back LaMont Jordan and long snapper Lonie Paxton.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13195223?source=rss

Looks like the Broncos are going to have the Patriots' entire practice team
when NE comes to town. Ought to make a good scrimmage for the Pats in
preparation for their next opponent . . .

-----

BroncoBJ
08-25-2009, 02:31 AM
I don't know why everyone is bitching. I'd rather have a bunch of Ex-Patriots then a bunch of Ex-Browns. :coffee:

JDL
08-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Realistically, it would be asking a lot for a player to come in here and give productive scout team or other reps if he hadn't been in the system before.

I think our secondary looks fairly set, so he is probably a camp body that will get cut when everyone heals, but at least one who knows what is expected and what to do out there and won't slow down practices with coaches constantly having to catch him up to speed. Seems like a practical reason why coaches do that - no big deal.

Absolutely, love the Browns line above though...lol.. that was funny (but oh so sadly true.)

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Call me crazy but I prefer adding ex WINNERS as opposed to all the ex-Lions Shanny use to sign.

TXBRONC
08-25-2009, 07:19 AM

I guess I just can't see him letting Wilfok go unless he's wanting a contract comparable to that of Albert Haynesworth.

broncofaninfla
08-25-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm guessing the injuries to Smith and Carter had a lot to do with this signing.

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I guess I just can't see him letting Wilfok go unless he's wanting a contract comparable to that of Albert Haynesworth.

If that's the case, Washington can have him too