PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos, Atlanta Falcons to court Shonn Greene

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
This offseason, the Denver Broncos reportedly are in the market for a tailback with size. The Atlanta Falcons need a power back to replace Michael Turner, who is expected to be a salary-cap casualty with a $6.9 million pay day on the horizon.

"Spies" at the NFL Scouting Combine tell ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini that impending free agent Shonn Greene is expected to draw interest from both clubs next month.

Despite a 2012 season that looks underwhelming on the surface, Greene has been generating some "buzz" at the combine. A closer look reveals that Greene finished in the top 15 among NFL backs in attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns while splitting carries with Bilal Powell in the second half of the season.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144514/article/denver-broncos-atlanta-falcons-to-court-shonn-greene

BroncoWave
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't see how this is an upgrade in any way over our current backfield. I admit I haven't watched much of Greene, but nothing about him really sticks out in my memory.

broncohead
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Please no!

VonDoom
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
No thanks. I saw enough Jets games to not be that impressed. There has to be a better option for us

Poet
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
He is the epitome of a solid running back who has not lived up to his potential. He's similar to Green-Ellis in terms of ability.

UnderArmour
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind Shonne Greene. While Mangold is a great center, the guard situation in New York has been bad since Faneca got old and they replaced him. The RT position is also crap. When the Jets were an upstart team, their offensive line was among the best in the league. Their receivers both had big-play potential as well. Poor roster management really makes it difficult to say how good of a player Greene actually is or isn't.

He would be an upgrade over McGahee, whose fumbling and injuries make him disposable.

cmc0605
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Would be a good supplement to the depth chart, not sure about a consistent starter

Northman
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
He is the epitome of a solid running back who has not lived up to his potential. He's similar to Green-Ellis in terms of ability.

He was a third round draft pick. I mean if there was a guy who isnt living up to potential Moreno is a clear cut case as Greene has even outperformed him. At this point he's not much of an upgrade but im not sure what his salary is like or what he would be demanding but he's only missed 4 games in the last two years so that says something.

Timmy!
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
If the money isnt horrible I could get behind this. Greene is a solid, reliable back that has very good power and has mileage left. He was stuck in a crap offense last year. A new setting, a Manning offense and he will explode I think.

spikerman
02-24-2013, 06:48 PM
I could look it up, but I'm too lazy. How is he in pass protection and how are his hands? With PFM at QB that's what really matters.

Timmy!
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I could look it up, but I'm too lazy. How is he in pass protection and how are his hands? With PFM at QB that's what really matters.

19 catches last year, 30 catches in 2011. I dont think he is a liability in pass protection, but he's not really a 3rd and long type back.

spikerman
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
19 catches last year, 30 catches in 2011. I dont think he is a liability in pass protection, but he's not really a 3rd and long type back.

Agreed. He's a short yardage back, but there will be times that the Broncos throw on 3rd and short. He needs to be able to protect and to catch the ball in those situations if need be.

Magnificent Seven
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Alternatively, Broncos could get rid of McGahee and Moreno. Sign Shonn Greene and draft Alabama's RB Eddie Lacy.

ravensbaby
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I think he would be a great fit the Broncos, he is a good solid hard runner. The Jets are just bad lol he was one of their stars.

SR
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Alternatively, Broncos could get rid of McGahee and Moreno. Sign Shonn Greene and draft Alabama's RB Eddie Lacy.

Won't happen. But ill play your silly little game.

Lacy is gone in the first round. So if Denver went after Lacy and got him, Greene would be a depth back because you don't draft a guy like Lacy to be a backup.

Dapper Dan
02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Won't happen. But ill play your silly little game.

Lacy is gone in the first round. So if Denver went after Lacy and got him, Greene would be a depth back because you don't draft a guy like Lacy to be a backup.

And Zam would wonder who could Denver get to challenge Greene for second string.

SR
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
And Zam would wonder who could Denver get to challenge Greene for second string.

The correct answer is undoubtedly Caleb Hanie.

Thnikkaman
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
I'd be happy to be able to root for Greene again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGEFR9g-YqM

Dapper Dan
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
I'd be happy to be able to root for Greene again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGEFR9g-YqM

Dang bruh. Thems my jams. Ain't heard them for a minute now.

Thnikkaman
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM

That's funny, I had no idea what songs they put in that video since I had my audio muted.

Poet
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
He was a third round draft pick. I mean if there was a guy who isnt living up to potential Moreno is a clear cut case as Greene has even outperformed him. At this point he's not much of an upgrade but im not sure what his salary is like or what he would be demanding but he's only missed 4 games in the last two years so that says something.

He shouldn't have fallen that far. Moreno offers more dimensions as a runner than this guy. He was drafted to be a quicker power back. Remember when Thomas Jones was pushing out some nice numbers for the Jets? They always wanted that power guy in there.

As far as durability, he's a man. He is a power runner and consistently plays, which is something of value. I just remember hearing talk of my team drafting him in the early second or late first round.

DenBronx
02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Greens not better than Moreno or McGahee, so pass. Moreno is excellent catching the ball out of the backfield and really stepped up and we all know how good of a powerhouse runner McGahee is. Lets keep these two around a little longer. Draft another back in rounds 2-4.

I don't see how you like this kind of music. Its so repetitive and annoying, sorry.

dogfish
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
i really liked three backs that year-- knowshon, lesean mccoy, and shonn green. . . he's been a bit disappointing the last few years, but he still has ability, and some good mileage left. . . he's more of a fit for fox's offensive philosophy than the manning offense, but we do need a closer like that-- between mcgahee's fumbling and knowshon's durability issues, it won't be a surprise at all if we look for a more reliable closer-type back to add to the stable. . . we could conceivably cut ball, and keep all three plus hillman, but more likely salary cap would dictate that willis and knowshon might be battling for one spot. . . green doesn't add much as a receiver, and is average at best in pass pro, but a more rugged and durable between the tackles runner would be a welcome addition. . .

Dapper Dan
02-24-2013, 11:19 PM
So it's Shonn or No Shonn.

Get it?

:rofl:

Ravage!!!
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I've always liked Shonn... not a game breaker, but Moreno certainly isn't. He's powerful, and has stayed healthy. Being 27, he has 2-3 years still. I would definitely be ok with Green.

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM

zactly. and who would be that back up's back up to challenge him and so on and so on

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Tatum Bell was a good back for us.

TXBRONC
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
If Elway is able to get him so be it. My preference is that they draft a running back like Lacy.

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 12:40 PM
If Elway is able to get him so be it. My preference is that they draft a running back like Lacy.

waste of a pick imo

BroncoWave
02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Tatum Bell was a good back for us.

I agree, nut. He was pretty underrated among Broncos fans I think. He showed a lot when he came back from selling cell phones and played really well for the Broncos for a few weeks. I was hoping Denver would give him a shot in camp the next year but they did not.

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
I agree, nut. He was pretty underrated among Broncos fans I think. He showed a lot when he came back from selling cell phones and played really well for the Broncos for a few weeks. I was hoping Denver would give him a shot in camp the next year but they did not.
he played some pretty solid football for us. he's got pretty good numbers

TXBRONC
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
waste of a pick imo

My first choice is generally to draft a runnng back because the mileage factor.

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
My first choice is generally to draft a runnng back because the mileage factor.

i see what you're saying and you're not alone there as rbs tend to go early I believe. they do in fantasy football anyway. I just think we should draft for bpa this year. I like our stable now and rbbc seems to be the norm in today's NFL. Hillman may indeed prove to be quite valuable. I like what I see in him as a scat back and reciever. We need to draft other positions, I'd say linebacker, dt, and safety ahead of a running back. kinda a hybrid of position of need and best player available.

Rex
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
i see what you're saying and you're not alone there as rbs tend to go early I believe. they do in fantasy football anyway. I just think we should draft for bpa this year. I like our stable now and rbbc seems to be the norm in today's NFL. Hillman may indeed prove to be quite valuable. I like what I see in him as a scat back and reciever. We need to draft other positions, I'd say linebacker, dt, and safety ahead of a running back. kinda a hybrid of position of need and best player available.

Mmm hmmm. Biscuits and mustard

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Mmm hmmm. Biscuits and mustard

eff you Rex. just eff you. that there isa good post mmmmhmmm

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
shonn greene played at Iowa but he's from Texas I do believe

Rex
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
shonn greene played at Iowa but he's from Texas I do believe

google.com

BroncoNut
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
google.com

well, I know he played for Iowa, but I was wrong on the texas part. I did google and he is from New Jersey in fact. pretty mediocre numbers last season, but you really need to consider the system in which he was playing. what do you think Rex?

underrated29
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
No! Do not want!

La'von Bell- this is the guy who brings so much more than green, would cost less and is not a huge huge ? We already have that with kneeshon. We dont need anymore of those.

Northman
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
No! Do not want!

La'von Bell- this is the guy who brings so much more than green, would cost less and is not a huge huge ? We already have that with kneeshon. We dont need anymore of those.

You love Kneeshon. Why you hatin?

underrated29
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
You love Kneeshon. Why you hatin?

I do like kneeshon, but the FO doesnt. They want him to be a backup this year and then he is going to be gone. So with that in mind we need to improve. As you know I loved adding willis. Well, in regards to greene i am not so sure. I liked him coming out but as a runner for the jets I have been underwhelmed. The FO has said theyy want a bellcow type back. Bigger, stronger guy. I dont want a question mark there with green. I want a big boss who can be had in the 3rd or later and is just as strong, but cheaper and better.

ShaneFalco
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
please dont...

PA+
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Don't think Lacy is anything special, i have a feeling he will be another Glen Coffee or Mark Ingram in the pros.

I am all for signing Greene.

Lancane
02-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Shonn Greene is relatively young (only 27) and has played full-time for only three seasons, the last two of which both he rushed for over 1,000 yards, over 700 before but then look at the touches he had, etc. and he's a (?) ?

Personally he is a safer bet then a good portion of free agent running backs, he has the power and insight to be a workhorse tailback, he doesn't have injury or character issues like Mendenhall and Jones or age issues like Bradshaw and Benson. Shonn Greene is a safe bet, a productive back that has years ahead of him in the sport and has done well in three different schemes...he's not Peterson, but if he could be Denver's Corey Dillon, well that's not too damn shabby in my book.

underrated29
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Shonn Greene is relatively young (only 27) and has played full-time for only three seasons, the last two of which both he rushed for over 1,000 yards, over 700 before but then look at the touches he had, etc. and he's a (?) ?

Personally he is a safer bet then a good portion of free agent running backs, he has the power and insight to be a workhorse tailback, he doesn't have injury or character issues like Mendenhall and Jones or age issues like Bradshaw and Benson. Shonn Greene is a safe bet, a productive back that has years ahead of him in the sport and has done well in three different schemes...he's not Peterson, but if he could be Denver's Corey Dillon, well that's not too damn shabby in my book.

I'm pretty sure Bradshaw is younger than he. If not they are real close in age. How are his numbers in comparison with knowshon? I have no clue. But I think he is a ?

He could be awesome here but I don't trust him. Maybe all he needs is that change of scenery. I'd rather just draft the younger, stronger, cheaper bell out of Michigan. I don't know what their numbers are respectively either, shonn vs bell but bell ran a pretty quick .40 for his size and he is pretty light on his feet.

dogfish
02-26-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm pretty sure Bradshaw is younger than he. If not they are real close in age. How are his numbers in comparison with knowshon? I have no clue. But I think he is a ?

He could be awesome here but I don't trust him. Maybe all he needs is that change of scenery. I'd rather just draft the younger, stronger, cheaper bell out of Michigan. I don't know what their numbers are respectively either, shonn vs bell but bell ran a pretty quick .40 for his size and he is pretty light on his feet.

i don't see it happening, homes. . . pass protection is the number one responsibility of backs in our system, like it or not-- and hillman is already questionable enough. . . i doubt the coaching staff wants another inexperienced guy heavy in the rotation. . . i know it's better return on investment to draft backs, but under these specific circumstances i think you'll see us put a premium on getting another veteran back in the rotation instead. . . JMO, obviously. . .

also, green's other big selling point is that he's been pretty durable-- something bradshaw clearly doesn't bring at this point, even if he is a significantly more dynamic player. . . foxy knows what he wants in a back, and green is a reliable between the tackles grinder. . .

BroncoNut
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I haven't seen much of Greene, don't know if I've posted that . College highlight reels really only tell so much if really anything. Iowa homerism aside, In reviewing his numbers with the Jets, they are rather pedestrian. He's a young back though, and has been a feature back during his short time in the league. He might be a good fit here in Denver. Still want to see a bit more of Moreno. I haven't counted him out yet. I think some time in the dog house may have done some good. sorry.

Lancane
02-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Bradshaw is a year or two older, injury prone and has played near full-time his whole career and has what? Two 1,000 yard seasons?

I'd rather the Broncos drafted Joseph Randle, Stepfan Taylor, Le'Veon Bell or Ciere Wood even...but I can understand the Broncos wanting to fill the running back need through free agency for now, especially with just drafting Hillman and focusing on other areas with the draft. And in that sense I think Shonn Greene is better then most other FA tailbacks.

underrated29
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Hey guys i just pointed out bradshaw is 26 or 27, I am not advocating we get him. He is hurt more than kneeshon. I do not want bradshaw!

I do not know about bells ability to pass pro or not, but at 6'1 233 or whatever he came in at, I do not think he have that hard a time adjusting. Sure it makes sense to use the picks elsehwere, and fill through FA, but aside from proven NFL experience I can not see one thing that shonn does better than bell can/will do.

Lancane
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Hey guys i just pointed out bradshaw is 26 or 27, I am not advocating we get him. He is hurt more than kneeshon. I do not want bradshaw!

I do not know about bells ability to pass pro or not, but at 6'1 233 or whatever he came in at, I do not think he have that hard a time adjusting. Sure it makes sense to use the picks elsehwere, and fill through FA, but aside from proven NFL experience I can not see one thing that shonn does better than bell can/will do.

But it may be that one thing, or just that he's proven to be somewhat successful at this level that interest Denver. I won't be dissapointed if we sign him, nor will I be overly excited, he's a good addition. I'd be more upset if the Broncos started signing non productive or severely injury proned players. I would like to see us draft a tailback, but if the team feels he's a better option then I'm game...it's not like he's Travis Henry...which was a horrid signing.

BroncoWave
02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
But it may be that one thing, or just that he's proven to be somewhat successful at this level that interest Denver. I won't be dissapointed if we sign him, nor will I be overly excited, he's a good addition. I'd be more upset if the Broncos started signing non productive or severely injury proned players. I would like to see us draft a tailback, but if the team feels he's a better option then I'm game...it's not like he's Travis Henry...which was a horrid signing.

Just as long as we don't draft another Maurice Clarett! :lol:

Lancane
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Just as long as we don't draft another Maurice Clarett! :lol:

Don't open up that F'n wound! :laugh:

CoachChaz
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Wanna help the running game? Draft Tavon Austin

NightTerror218
02-26-2013, 06:47 PM

how would that help? just curious of thought process.

MOtorboat
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Stretch the middle of the field and get linebackers on skates...

Nomad
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM

I'm sure Chip Kelly has him in the top 2 of his draft board......btw, I didn't come with this on my own, I read an article about it.:lol:

BroncoWave
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Don't open up that F'n wound! :laugh:

I was actually (stupidly) excited when we drafted him. I liked his talent in college and thought he would have a chip on his shoulder for us. I didn't realize what a complete screw-up he really was.

Northman
02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
I did. I knew the minute the issues surrounding him at OSU was going to be trouble and even his combine didnt go well. I thought it was a joke when people mentioned we might take him and was highly pissed off when we did. What a waste and i was totally right.

Dzone
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
bring in about 15 running backs. Let the best man win

CoachChaz
02-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Stretch the middle of the field and get linebackers on skates...

A safety or LB isnt going to cover Austin or any other weapon in the slot, so it will require another DB and/or a pass coverage scheme in the middle of the field and likely open up some running room.

PMFM should be our best weapon when it comes to the run game with the threat of our passing game. Give that aspect the weapons and the rest will follow

ShaneFalco
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
i dont understand dealing with these old washed up backs. Just draft Lacy, sit back and enjoy.

underrated29
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Don't want lacy

ShaneFalco
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
why? the guy is beast, i think he will be better then TRich.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
why? the guy is beast, i think he will be better then TRich.

I think it's a draft position thing for most, in that they would rather that #1 be used on a different position. I'd be fine with it, personally.......

ShaneFalco
02-27-2013, 11:08 PM
well there will always be another Lacy, but i just feel it couldnt hurt to go young at RB position again. Let Hillman and the rookie develop together. Speed and Power.

underrated29
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
I don't think he's worth a first on this draft. I think he is going to have fumbling issues in the nfl early in his career. I do not see him being better than trich. I think we could land an almost as good rb later in the draft while using our 1 on something that we kind find as good later.

I like lacy but I don't think he's all that great.

TXBRONC
02-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Don't want lacy

I do because we need someone that can be the lead horse.

Ravage!!!
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't think he's worth a first on this draft. I think he is going to have fumbling issues in the nfl early in his career. I do not see him being better than trich. I think we could land an almost as good rb later in the draft while using our 1 on something that we kind find as good later.

I like lacy but I don't think he's all that great.

I don't think he's going to be near as good as trent richardson, and I absolutely am against using a first round pick on a running back. Makes more sense to supliment our RBs with proven vets and draft a guy in the 3-4 round and STILL get quality player at that position.

NightTerror218
02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
I think Teams will reach for Lacy since he is the top RB in a class that is not outstanding. I rather take lattimore later. He showed last season he could heal great from injury and then had that freak accident injury to his knee. I think he could bounce back and Elway has taken chances on players that have talent that drop due to injury in the draft.

Northman
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I like Lacy but agree with most i dont want to use a first on him.

underrated29
02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
I do because we need someone that can be the lead horse.

I agree we do need one, no doubt. But check this guy out and tell me he could not be a lead horse for us and be near as good but cost us a 3rd or lower. Probably lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQ

That right there is a guy that can finish out the games in the NFL. Ray Lewis would go home crying.

Lancane
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
I agree we do need one, no doubt. But check this guy out and tell me he could not be a lead horse for us and be near as good but cost us a 3rd or lower. Probably lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQ

That right there is a guy that can finish out the games in the NFL. Ray Lewis would go home crying.

I like Bell, he's probably the best tailback to hail from my Alma Mater in the last decade...but I'd prefer either of the following backs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkezITd1u8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00ziPxn0Os

but I would be fine with Shonn Greene if Denver feels that using their draft picks elsewhere is more important.

Poet
03-01-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't think he's going to be near as good as trent richardson, and I absolutely am against using a first round pick on a running back. Makes more sense to supliment our RBs with proven vets and draft a guy in the 3-4 round and STILL get quality player at that position.

I remember once that you said you'd take a RB in the first round if he was a legitimate superstar, like AP. I'm not making a comparison between them because they played at the same school but, how did you view Richardson from last year's draft? BTW I do agree with you, you take a back in the first round if it's a pure luxury pick or if the guy is a true standout.

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I remember once that you said you'd take a RB in the first round if he was a legitimate superstar, like AP. I'm not making a comparison between them because they played at the same school but, how did you view Richardson from last year's draft? BTW I do agree with you, you take a back in the first round if it's a pure luxury pick or if the guy is a true standout.

I felt Richardson was an absolute beast in the draft last year. Would I have wanted him if we would have been high enough to take him? Man, I don't know. I mean, for me to use a first round pick on a RB is a pretty hard sell as it is, to use a top 3 pick on a RB would be ridiculous! I guess that all comes down to what other player is out there at what position that you could have gotten instead? Depends on the draft? Ugh... I doubt that if we had the #3 pick in last year's draft, that I would have been promoting Richardson.....although I truly felt he was a man at RB. After watching him play, I think he is a beast in the NFL as well!

I know I would not want to take a RB at 3, but I probably would have felt afterwards (had we drafted him) the same way I did about Moreno. "No No NO....don't take a RB in the first!!!" But at the same time, I'm thinking "Holy shit, Denver finally has a 1st round talent at RB!!!" I was upset, and tentatively excited all in one.

Poet
03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
I understand that view. I think it comes down to a lot of things. A big sell on Richardson was that he could really help whatever QB they ended up. I think Richardson softened the blow of drafting Brandon Weeden, haha. A running back in the first round has to be a star, unless it's the end of the round and he's the BPA in your eyes. Even then, I don't really like that idea because that's how you end up with guys like Mendenhall and Donald Brown on your team.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I like Bell, he's probably the best tailback to hail from my Alma Mater in the last decade...but I'd prefer either of the following backs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkezITd1u8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00ziPxn0Os

but I would be fine with Shonn Greene if Denver feels that using their draft picks elsewhere is more important.

I would gladly take Taylor, but I would take a chance on Lattimore in 4th or later. Bell looks good and is also a good pass blocker which is a must.