PDA

View Full Version : Elway says it’s not in Clady’s best interests to show up in Week One

DenBronx
02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
With Broncos tackle Ryan Clady making it clear he won’t sign the franchise tender any time soon, there’s a chance Clady will exercise his right to wait until a few days before the start of the season to accept the offer and still earn the full amount of his $9.66 million guaranteed salary for 2013. Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway realizes that this risk exists, and Elway said so on Friday’s Pro Football Talk.

“You know, it could happen,” Elway said. “I don’t think it’s the best thing for Ryan. I think for Ryan to be what he wants to do and what he wants to be as a football player is not good to sit out an offseason. Especially when you have a small window as a football player and how long you play in the league, to be able to sit back and sit out realizing what the situation is, I don’t think its advantageous to him or us so I’m hoping that doesn’t happen.”

The Broncos have yet to apply the franchise tag to Clady, but they undoubtedly will. Elway made it clear that a long-term package won’t be offered until Clady has recovered from recent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/23/elway-says-its-not-in-cladys-best-interests-to-show-up-in-week-one/

Nomad
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
So if he sits out an offseason and the BRONCOS still give him the tag and he accepts, what will he have proven?

SR
02-23-2013, 08:38 PM
So if he sits out an offseason and the BRONCOS still give him the tag and he accepts, what will he have proven?

Nothing.

DenBronx
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
I kind of hope the Broncos just give him a new deal this offseason with questions about his shoulder still lingering. Why do I want us to do this? Because we all know Clady is going to be fine and still play at a high level. We would save a little in the long run by just doing it now. If Clady gets tagged, comes back and plays like he did last year then he is going to command even more. So, just do it now.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2013, 10:00 PM
I really don't like the idea that Clady may play hardball. There is nothing to gain from that, plus he is missing the off season. To me, that indicates he is not a "team guy". New offensive coordinator could mean some new plays, etc. Just how far would Clady be behind?

DenBronx
02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
I really don't like the idea that Clady may play hardball. There is nothing to gain from that, plus he is missing the off season. To me, that indicates he is not a "team guy". New offensive coordinator could mean some new plays, etc. Just how far would Clady be behind?

Because he knows we have the money to sign him and we need to protect a QB with 4 neck surgeries. Clady would probablly get more money on the open market, which is why his ego is a little hurt. Looks like Broncos will play hardball with him and make sure he plays healthy next year then give him a deal.

Hope he doesnt drag this out or cause any drama, its unlikely he will do that.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2013, 12:34 AM
I sincerely hope Elway doesn't expect Clady's camp to accept a ******* rotator cuff as reason to lower Clady's asking price. They tried to get a long term deal done last year, it's pointless to do nothing at all this year.......

Poet
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Simply put, it's Clady's time to get paid. That rotator cuff injury is a non-issue. This issue will be resolved with a contract. Clady should act like a grown-up.

PA+
03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
This year draft and free agency is loaded with OTs, it maybe risky but i would let him test the market. He wants Joe Thomas type money, i don't think any team will shell that type of money on him.

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM

His blocking is always pretty much going to be the same. There never really is anything new that the OL can't pick up on pretty quickly, because their job is to block from inside out. Anything else after that is pretty easy to change around.

But as far as holding out.... players today don't have anything else to do. They obviously can't miss games, they can't miss time as players in the past once did without being fined...... so players today do what they CAN to show that they aren't happy with their contract. It's not much, it doesn't benefit them any, but it's what does get some attention in the media and does get some questions to the 'bosses' about why he's not in camp and why a contract hasn't been worked out. It's all th ey have.

As far as this "not being a team guy".... when they are putting off the contract because they now want to see how much more he can play, then why aren't THEY being accused of "not being a team guy?" Meaning, Clady knows that if he's hurt, they cut him. Why should he..or any OTHER player.... have this "team loyalty" when the team management doesn't have any loyalty to them?

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
This year draft and free agency is loaded with OTs, it maybe risky but i would let him test the market. He wants Joe Thomas type money, i don't think any team will shell that type of money on him.

Oh yes they will. People said the same thing about Brandon Marshall.... saying he wouldn't get Fitzpatrick money. Guess what, when you are considered one of the very top in the NFL, and its YOUR turn to hit the open market.... you WILL get the TOP money in the NFL. He would be the HIGHEST paid LT in the NFL....UNTIL another top LT hits the open market. GM's aren't going to try and hash out this "you aren't quite as good" stuff that FANS try to make. You are a top LT, and we need a top LT....pay the man.

I think its a TERRIBLE idea to simply try and 'take a chance' with the Draft. There is a reason that LTs are the second highest player on the team. Its not because drafts are LOADED with top guys that can simply come in with a plug-n-play result.

G_Money
03-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Walter Jones of the Seahawks used to do this all the time. He'd get franchised, then skip all of training camp, then demolish fools in the regular season. It's not a thing, and it has nothing to do with being a team player. None of his teammates will fault him, and he'll be there when the games count. When they're dying in summer conditioning they'll probably wish they were good enough to get franchised and skip camp. It's not the first camp with Manning and a new offense, so it's not crucial.

Stop low-balling him and I'm sure he'd be happy to come to camp with a shiny contract full of massive signing bonuses and guarantees. Joe Thomas got 7/84 with 44 guaranteed. We offered 5/50. If we split the difference and went 6/70 with 35 guaranteed he'd probably ink the deal, but he's not flushing the guarantee or the extra year just because he looks good in orange. If somebody told you to leave tens of MILLIONS of dollars on the table to show your team spirit you'd probably spit on em.

We'll see what he'll eventually sign for (sometime during the season, likely) but it ain't 50 mil. Not unless his arm falls off after that surgery.

~G

Poet
03-01-2013, 11:28 PM
That's exactly right. I remember when Shaun Alexander said something to the effect of "if he was actually in camp I'd be shocked." There's a point where disciplined athletes don't need to actually be in training camp. I doubt you'd ever hear a head coach say that, but it's the truth. Jones was almost Munoz good.

G_Money
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Jones was amazing. Clady is not Jones (not after his knee injury that really robbed him of that extra bit of specialness) but he's certainly a top-tier OT. I can't think of 5 OTs I'd take over him, so he's gonna get paid like a top-5 OT.

~G

Poet
03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Clady is probably the second best OT that I can think of. Thomas is just rotting in Cleveland.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-02-2013, 11:43 AM

....that he didn't have to run gassers in July.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Walter Jones of the Seahawks used to do this all the time. He'd get franchised, then skip all of training camp, then demolish fools in the regular season. It's not a thing, and it has nothing to do with being a team player. None of his teammates will fault him, and he'll be there when the games count. When they're dying in summer conditioning they'll probably wish they were good enough to get franchised and skip camp. It's not the first camp with Manning and a new offense, so it's not crucial.

Stop low-balling him and I'm sure he'd be happy to come to camp with a shiny contract full of massive signing bonuses and guarantees. Joe Thomas got 7/84 with 44 guaranteed. We offered 5/50. If we split the difference and went 6/70 with 35 guaranteed he'd probably ink the deal, but he's not flushing the guarantee or the extra year just because he looks good in orange. If somebody told you to leave tens of MILLIONS of dollars on the table to show your team spirit you'd probably spit on em.

We'll see what he'll eventually sign for (sometime during the season, likely) but it ain't 50 mil. Not unless his arm falls off after that surgery.

~G

All correct, exept Clady isn't going to accept lower than Thomas. He shouldn't have to, and won't. It's allllll about the guaranteed money.

Tom Brady didn't sign that new contract to be 'nice' to his team, alone. Tom just upped his guaranteed money by 30 million dollars!

So I agree that we can't keep trying to lowball Clady (which is what we did despite some posters on here believing it was a "fair" offer), and just offer the guy what we ALLLL know is going to be. THE top LT contract in football.

G_Money
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Joe Thomas: 6 x Pro Bowler, 3 x All-Pro
Ryan Clady: 3 x Pro Bowler, 2 x All-Pro

He's not gonna get better than Joe's contract. He might get more of a signing bonus, I guess, but I would be pretty shocked if his deal is worth more than Joe's. And I'm a big Clady fan.

~G

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Also have to watch and see what Long gets as an FA. That will play a part in Clady's demands as well

BroncoNut
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
sounds like Elway is saying to Clady that if he shows up, he might get hurt or something. pretty unprofessional in my opinion

NightTerror218
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
sounds like Elway is saying to Clady that if he shows up, he might get hurt or something. pretty unprofessional in my opinion

I think he was saying its in his best interest to show up and get the conditioning in training camp and not skip it all and hold on till week 1. That if he just shows up week 1 and not in the best shape an injury could happen.

BroncoWave
03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Ah, our annual thread where fans bash players for not being "team players", for not honoring their contract while they don't hold teams to the same standard. This thread came early this year!

Ravage!!!
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Joe Thomas: 6 x Pro Bowler, 3 x All-Pro
Ryan Clady: 3 x Pro Bowler, 2 x All-Pro

He's not gonna get better than Joe's contract. He might get more of a signing bonus, I guess, but I would be pretty shocked if his deal is worth more than Joe's. And I'm a big Clady fan.

~G

I heard the same argument when Brandon Marshall went UFA and people said he wouldn't get Fitzgerald money. Clady IS going to get Joe Thomas money, because the stats you just showed, doesn't mean anything when it comes to negotiations.

shank
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
It’s a four-year deal, with a base value of $34 million, for an average of $8.5 million annually. With incentives, the deal can reach $36 million.

The deal has $16 million fully guaranteed, with another $4 million that will become fully guaranteed in 2014.

pretty cheap deal that jake long just signed. you think this will help to temper clady's asking price in negotiations?

nevcraw
03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Ah, our annual thread where fans bash players for not being "team players", for not honoring their contract while they don't hold teams to the same standard. This thread came early this year!

Yep - Clady get's hurt in TC on a one year contract and he is screwed.. Love Elway but don't remember him having to twist on a lame duck contract.

MOtorboat
03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
pretty cheap deal that jake long just signed. you think this will help to temper clady's asking price in negotiations?

No. Long's play fell off dramatically AND he was injured. Clady's play didn't decline, though he is dealing with off season surgery.

He's going to get Joe Thomas money (read: the best LT in the league money).

That's why Denver is content to pay him the Franchise Tag price of a LT, which isn't cheap.

Ravage!!!
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't believe that pro-bowls and/or all- pros were used to compare Flacco to the other top QBs in the NFL bfore signing his contract. Those things just don't matter in negotiations when you are talking top players... or.. if that player IS AS IMPORTANT to your team as the other is to theirs. Whats the difference between 2 and three all-pros when it comes to making a new contract?

MOtorboat
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't believe that pro-bowls and/or all- pros were used to compare Flacco to the other top QBs in the NFL bfore signing his contract. Those things just don't matter in negotiations when you are talking top players... or.. if that player IS AS IMPORTANT to your team as the other is to theirs. Whats the difference between 2 and three all-pros when it comes to making a new contract?

That's a decent point.

When one of those top echelon players at the recognized key positions - primarily QB, LT, Rusher, CB - hit free agency (if they do) they receive the best contract in the league at that position. That's the type of contract Clady is going to get.

TXBRONC
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM

I don't think it will. Clady knows what he's worth on the open market. He would get a contract similar to that Joe Thomas. We're not going to find someone better than Clady to protect Manning's blind side.