PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' John Elway to speak with Notre Dame's Manti Te'o at combine

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — There are two ways John Elway can view his roster.

One, his Broncos are coming off a 13-3 regular season that was best in the AFC, better even than the Baltimore Ravens, the team that edged them in the playoffs and went on to win the Super Bowl. That team seemingly has little need for dramatic changes.

Or two, the Broncos didn't come close to finishing off their season, losing their first postseason game in the second round to the Ravens.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22645835/broncos-john-elway-speak-notre-dames-manti-teo

Davii
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Except it will be by conference call and it will really be Tuiasosopo playing the part of Elway.

chazoe60
02-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I heard Elway has an imaginary Girlfriend he wants to get rid of.

TXBRONC
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I heard Elway has an imaginary Girlfriend he wants to get rid of.

I heard she is bat shit crazy.

Northman
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Except it will be by conference call and it will really be Tuiasosopo playing the part of Elway.

Beat me to it. :lol:

Northman
02-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I heard she is bat shit crazy.

I heard she was a raiderette.

weazel
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Broncos' John Elway to speak with Notre Dame's Manti Te'o at combine

I hope he doesnt fall in love with him.

BroncoWave
02-22-2013, 07:10 PM
I hope the Broncos don't draft him for the sheer reason that all the Teo jokes on this board will become insufferable in about a week.

DenBronx
02-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I hope the Broncos don't draft him for the sheer reason that all the Teo jokes on this board will become insufferable in about a week.

Too many critics will come with us drafting him and im not even over the Teboners yet. The difference is Te'o can actually play his position and will start day 1. I suspect the Bengals or Bears will snag him up and he does well for them.

If Elway is interested then that says alot. Its no secret that we need a MLB....just not sure I want the drama.

zbeg
03-01-2013, 01:34 AM

To be fair, the jokes are funny. :-)

And the guy's a pathological liar and/or the stupidest human alive, so I don't think he's an unfair target.

I'm banking heavily on "pathological liar."

Ravage!!!
03-01-2013, 11:42 AM

And the guy's a pathological liar and/or the stupidest human alive, so I don't think he's an unfair target.

Pathological? That dosen't even make sense.

zbeg
03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Pathological? That dosen't even make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

BroncoWave
03-01-2013, 12:24 PM

The liar angle just doesn't make sense to me. The only way this makes sense if he went from being the best liar in the world while the hoax was going on, to being the worst liar in the world after it all came out. Do you think his lying skills really deteriorated that quickly?

Poet
03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
What's funny is that if you guys draft him it will go from "herp derp he's a stupid overrated LB," to "HE IS A FUTURE PRO BOWLER!"

Northman
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
What's funny is that if you guys draft him it will go from "herp derp he's a stupid overrated LB," to "HE IS A FUTURE PRO BOWLER!"

Only if he can prove it on the field. I would gladly eat crow if he was drafted and became Ray Lewis. If not, there will be many making excuses as too why he failed.

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Stupidest human alive? To be a part of the younger generation that is all about online dating and all that? So he fell for the "dude acting like a hot chick". At least is wasn't some 40 yr old man.

Northman
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Stupidest human alive? To be a part of the younger generation that is all about online dating and all that? So he fell for the "dude acting like a hot chick". At least is wasn't some 40 yr old man.

Why do you have to pick on 40 year old guys? lol

NightTerror218
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Why do you have to pick on 40 year old guys? lol

Cause what can get creepier then one of them with a white van w/ no windows and a mustache?

Poet
03-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Cause what can get creepier then one of them with a white van w/ no windows and a mustache?

Clowns.

slim
03-01-2013, 01:38 PM

NTL and Beef having an intimate discussion about their sex organs.

Poet
03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
North, first you want him to not be an idiot and now you want him to help cover up murders. You ask for too much! /trollface

Northman
03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
North, first you want him to not be an idiot and now you want him to help cover up murders. You ask for too much! /trollface

Im needy.

Poet
03-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Im needy.

How good do you think Teo will actually be?

Northman
03-01-2013, 02:57 PM
How good do you think Teo will actually be?

Not really sure.

It concerns me how invisible he became in the championship game. While i didnt expect him to really carry the team on his back vs a much better Bama team i did expect him to do his thing to some extent but he was just absent and very sloppy. People will use the excuse he had a lot going on outside of football but if thats the case what does that mean when meets other types adversity at the pro level? I would have to go look back at his resume at some of the other competition he faced but if most of the teams he faced were below average (add in all the below average to subpar talent that litters most teams at the collegiate level) teams than is he really as good as advertised?

Frankly, i dont care about the hoax crap. But if how he played vs one of the better teams in college football is the best he's got than i really wouldnt want him on my team. Im still leaning on wanting to take Minter later if possible. I guess i just dont want that much of a question mark when it comes to Teo but you never know. He could turn out to be the real deal.

Poet
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber guy. He may have one or two stand out years, but he's going to be a pretty good MLB for a long time. I doubt he is ever going to be a MLB like the top tier guys we talk about in Willis or Ray Lewis. I think he is a better version of James Lauranitis from the Rams. I think he is going to really help his team out in regards to coverage. The kid also has undeniable instincts. I think about for or five missed tackles in a single game is overrated.

I stand by it, if Denver gets him at 28 then the 'value' you get out of that pick is insane.

BroncoWave
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I stand by it, if Denver gets him at 28 then the 'value' you get out of that pick is insane.

Unless he turns out not to be very good.

CoachChaz
03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Can we just let this MF get drafted in the early 2nd round and move on?

Northman
03-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber guy. He may have one or two stand out years, but he's going to be a pretty good MLB for a long time. I doubt he is ever going to be a MLB like the top tier guys we talk about in Willis or Ray Lewis. I think he is a better version of James Lauranitis from the Rams. I think he is going to really help his team out in regards to coverage. The kid also has undeniable instincts. I think about for or five missed tackles in a single game is overrated.

We shall see.

I think the most important thing from a MLB that i want to see is leadership and solid tackling. If said MLB can be a playmaker like a Lewis than thats a bonus. But right now we dont have the type of leadership we need from that position. I want our guy to have command of the defense.

Poet
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Unless he turns out not to be very good.

When they talk about good drafting, it's not based on the player turning out well because in the end it's a crap shoot. It's more based on strategy and draft classes as a whole. The Patriots are notorious for being awful drafters in terms of getting long term starters. Still, they maneuver intelligently in the draft, get picks, trade up and down for the guys they want and end up with good players. Often times they get a few good seasons out of those players and cut them, like Merriweather, their old safety. As you know, because you're a smart fan, value is the sorta made up term to describe the projected worth of a player, his position, where you got him and a million other variables.

So regardless of him turning into a HoFer, bust or anything in between, it would have a lot of value.

BroncoWave
03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
When they talk about good drafting, it's not based on the player turning out well because in the end it's a crap shoot. It's more based on strategy and draft classes as a whole. The Patriots are notorious for being awful drafters in terms of getting long term starters. Still, they maneuver intelligently in the draft, get picks, trade up and down for the guys they want and end up with good players. Often times they get a few good seasons out of those players and cut them, like Merriweather, their old safety. As you know, because you're a smart fan, value is the sorta made up term to describe the projected worth of a player, his position, where you got him and a million other variables.

So regardless of him turning into a HoFer, bust or anything in between, it would have a lot of value.

Which is why I don't put too much stock into talk of "value" around this time. Every team probably has different evaluations of players and value is very subjective. I can't say it would be good or bad value to pick Teo at 28 because I don't know how the Broncos evaluate him or how good he will be.

I realize that doesn't make me much fun when discussing the draft since I don't take much stock in what is a good "value" for players we don't know anything about in terms of how they will preform in the NFL, but that's just how I view it.

Poet
03-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I understand what you're saying. The term value can be whatever you want it to be. I used to have debates with friends about the draft merit of BPA versus need. The silly little things you can do with semantics like that is hilarious. I guess what I'm saying is that from the agreed upon vantage point that most use, it'd be a great pick.

zbeg
03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
The liar angle just doesn't make sense to me. The only way this makes sense if he went from being the best liar in the world while the hoax was going on, to being the worst liar in the world after it all came out. Do you think his lying skills really deteriorated that quickly?

Because his story doesn't make sense and hasn't made sense since the story broke.

She was twenty minutes away, but oh no! He didn't have a car. So I guess that's it. He didn't ask anyone for a ride, he didn't take a cab, he didn't do any of that. The love of his life is twenty minutes away and he has no idea how public transportation works.

He says that it never crossed his mind to visit "the love of his life" in the hospital when she was dying of cancer. That doesn't sound plausible to me. He never even considered it? That's what he says.

He was on his way to Hawaii when he found out she was in a serious car crash and was in a coma. He had a layover in California, but boarded his flight to Hawaii instead of going to the hospital. Why? Because he didn't want to deal with the problems of missing his flight.

Nope. Not buying it. Not even a little. If it was just that he was hoaxed and he fell for a girl he met online, sure. But the excuses he's had for not making any effort to see her when she allegedly was near death twice? What?

Yeah, I think he's lying.

NightTerror218
03-02-2013, 01:26 AM
I want to see us draft him and king be right. Just to see people eat crow crow cause its funny how people who are so judgemental over people.

zbeg
03-02-2013, 05:06 AM
I want to see us draft him and king be right. Just to see people eat crow crow cause its funny how people who are so judgemental over people.

He should probably worry about playing linebacker, since he didn't seem to be able to do so the last time we saw as Alabama ran by, around, and over him.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

Yeah.. I know what a pathological liar is, apparently you do not. You think a person that lies to cover something up, or lies about a particar incident is "pathological." Doesn't fit the definition.

He may have lied about a couple things concerning HIS personal life.... which is what it is allllllllllll about. You can say that you don't believe his story, or his reasoning, or his purposes... ... but it still all revolves around HIS private life. He wasn't lying to try and steal money. He didn't ask for donations or scam anyone. He had a story about things involving him, and a nosey reporter just kept digging.

We've ALLLLL had white lies that we tell to people to keep them at bay about personal things at home ""...when the truth is they were fighting like dogs and couldn't stand to be around one another. HEll, sitcom TV is filled with families that are constantly lying and trying to get away with it..... it's life. Point being, because he's a MLB for ND, his white lie is then exploited, and then asked to be explained... and explained.... and explained........ and as we know, if we have a lie that is questioned, it just leads to more lies.

But thats all it is. That is NOT a pathological liar, and his "lies" don't have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING outside his personal life. That's what pisses me off about the reporters (and guys like you) because you FEEL as if you are owed some kind of explanation as if it's any of your business! What lie did he tell that matters so much? What did he say that is so scandalous?

BroncoWave
03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Because his story doesn't make sense and hasn't made sense since the story broke.

She was twenty minutes away, but oh no! He didn't have a car. So I guess that's it. He didn't ask anyone for a ride, he didn't take a cab, he didn't do any of that. The love of his life is twenty minutes away and he has no idea how public transportation works.

He says that it never crossed his mind to visit "the love of his life" in the hospital when she was dying of cancer. That doesn't sound plausible to me. He never even considered it? That's what he says.

He was on his way to Hawaii when he found out she was in a serious car crash and was in a coma. He had a layover in California, but boarded his flight to Hawaii instead of going to the hospital. Why? Because he didn't want to deal with the problems of missing his flight.

Nope. Not buying it. Not even a little. If it was just that he was hoaxed and he fell for a girl he met online, sure. But the excuses he's had for not making any effort to see her when she allegedly was near death twice? What?

Yeah, I think he's lying.

So your saying during the hoax he was the best liar in the world since no one suspected a thing, but now he is suddenly a terrible liar? Does that really make sense to you?

MOtorboat
03-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Yeah.. I know what a pathological liar is, apparently you do not. You think a person that lies to cover something up, or lies about a particar incident is "pathological." Doesn't fit the definition.

He may have lied about a couple things concerning HIS personal life.... which is what it is allllllllllll about. You can say that you don't believe his story, or his reasoning, or his purposes... ... but it still all revolves around HIS private life. He wasn't lying to try and steal money. He didn't ask for donations or scam anyone. He had a story about things involving him, and a nosey reporter just kept digging.

We've ALLLLL had white lies that we tell to people to keep them at bay about personal things at home ""...when the truth is they were fighting like dogs and couldn't stand to be around one another. HEll, sitcom TV is filled with families that are constantly lying and trying to get away with it..... it's life. Point being, because he's a MLB for ND, his white lie is then exploited, and then asked to be explained... and explained.... and explained........ and as we know, if we have a lie that is questioned, it just leads to more lies.

But thats all it is. That is NOT a pathological liar, and his "lies" don't have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING outside his personal life. That's what pisses me off about the reporters (and guys like you) because you FEEL as if you are owed some kind of explanation as if it's any of your business! What lie did he tell that matters so much? What did he say that is so scandalous?

He chose to make the girlfriend public. That was his choice.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
He chose to make the girlfriend public. That was his choice.

Fair enough, but my understanding of the story is that the news heard about the "death" of her from Monti's father.

EITHER way.... the fact that his 'white lie' was dug into, doesn't make him a pathological liar. Nor does it mean that every aspect of everything involved is something "WE HAVE TO KNOW" ..or the classic... "Manti HAS TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS for me."

Its just people WANTING to know. Its the reality tv mentality we live in today, where everything about ANYONE known is SUPPOSED to be public knowledge at all times. If we don't know, we'll dig into it. If we dont' like what we find, we'll twist it a bit until we make it juicier. If someone tries to keep a part of their lives private, then we'll dig and make it known so that we create the drama that people CRAVE to see!

Its just ridiculous. If he were scamming people for money, or asking for donations, or trying to increase his pay due to the fact that he was "supposedly" supporting the cancer stricken girl, then that would be completely different. Right now, it just doesn't make a bit of difference about anything.

MOtorboat
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
What we know about the months during the regular season of football, is that Monti and his father told numerous very public lies, regardless of what degree he was being scammed. Those lies helped perpetuate a story that led to a very public Heisman campaign.

Of course both media and fans want answers. We were duped too. And as much money as some team is about to give him, they rightfully should know what the story is.

I agree, these few lies don't make him a pathological liar, though.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2013, 04:12 PM
What we know about the months during the regular season of football, is that Monti and his father told numerous very public lies, regardless of what degree he was being scammed. Those lies helped perpetuate a story that led to a very public Heisman campaign.

Of course both media and fans want answers. We were duped too. And as much money as some team is about to give him, they rightfully should know what the story is.

I agree, these few lies don't make him a pathological liar, though.

Right and I totally agree that ANY team that hires him absolutely has the right to know the story if they so wish to know it. I personally don't believe that any story was made up for a Heisman, nor do I believe that his name was on the Ballot because of said story. After all, there are a ton of stories in the NCAA.

But I don't think anyone, the media nor the fans, has a "right" to know. It's not something that is owed an explanation, and is not something that HAS to be answered. We, as fans, are just curious.... thus want to know. But that's really as far as any obligations go. One wanting to know, and the other not wanting to share.

zbeg
03-02-2013, 05:26 PM
So your saying during the hoax he was the best liar in the world since no one suspected a thing, but now he is suddenly a terrible liar? Does that really make sense to you?

It's not like I'm saying his delivery was spot on and that I didn't suspect anything because of his body language or anything like that.

His story was plausible during the season. Has a girlfriend, dies of cancer. I had no reason to suspect otherwise.

Story breaks that she's not real, he changes his story multiple times when being asked questions in the aftermath, and now there's very strong reason to believe he's not telling the truth.

We have a lot more information now than we did during the season, and that information leads me to believe that he's a liar.

B2B, refer to my earlier post here. Do his explanations make sense to you? That he never thought about visiting her in the hospital when she was dying of cancer? Or that the inconvenience of missing a connecting flight is why he didn't rush to the hospital when he found out she was in a serious car accident?

iLands
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
If Elway takes this young man, I believe it is the right decision.

CoachChaz
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
So tired of hearing this ******* name

Lancane
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't believe that he is a pathelogical liar, we could question his level of common sense...but in all honesty it seems to me that the kid is and was being dishonest. And while I'm not sure that it will lower his draft stock, teams need to be weary, in a day and age where rape and other off the field misconduct is so frequent, the last thing a team needs is a dishonest player who can not accept the medicine due to himself for his own actions. As I stated before, I don't care if he's gay or if this was a game they took too damn far, but IMHO the kid needs to just open up and let it all out, and in doing so would be responsible in the eyes of the fans, the league and so forth, but also show a more mature character in the process - which could only help him.

NightTerror218
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
I wonder if Elway will personally go to his pro day work out since the team is going to be in attendance.