PDA

View Full Version : NFL wants free agency, draft moved

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
The NFL is proposing an overhaul to its offseason calendar, pushing back the combine to early March, the start of free agency to early April and the draft to early May, according to league sources.

The plan must be approved by the NFL Players Association, but the league already is pushing it aggressively, meeting on the issue most recently -- but not exclusively -- Thursday night in Indianapolis, where the NFL scouting combine is being held.

Under the proposal, all NFL teams also would kick off training camp on the same summer day, making it the official launch of the football season.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8973183/2013-nfl-combine-nfl-pushing-changes-offseason-sources-say

SR
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
What's the reasoning? Seems like the NFL just wants to make changes for the sake of making changes.

BroncoWave
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
What's the reasoning? Seems like the NFL just wants to make changes for the sake of making changes.

Schefter said they want to move the draft to May because that is TV sweeps month and higher ratings = more $ then.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM

from article:

The idea is to lengthen the NFL offseason and make sure football is relevant during a longer offseason period with one big event in each month. It also would create a new revenue stream for the NFL, with each event producing added money for the league.

Simple Jaded
02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
NFL execs have talked about it for years, Ted Sundquist recently on local sports talk talked about how they would prefer to augment the draft with free agency. The current setup lends itself to the opposite.

The NFL may have financial motives but the execs have legitimate and sound reasons.......

Dapper Dan
02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Schefter said they want to move the draft to May because that is TV sweeps month and higher ratings = more $ then.

Yeah. I posted Schefter's tweets in the thread I started, but I posted it in draft and free agency for some reason.

Lancane
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I see the benefit for the league, but I'm not sure it would go as well with the fans. The Combine is a bigger deal for Draftniks, unless they're going to turn it into a larger production there is no real revenue in the change and the same with free agency, unless they change it to a draft format which could be interesting, though the NFLPA and the players themselves may have issues with it. The bigger deal would be the Draft, it has become a much larger event then anticipated, if forced to move a month, while not unbareable to some, there are fans may have issues with such.

underrated29
02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
I would hate it! My hockey tourney in Vegas is the first week of every may pretty much every year. I had to watch the draft in Vegas once and it sucked. It didnt feel right.

Pudge
02-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I would hate it! My hockey tourney in Vegas is the first week of every may pretty much every year. I had to watch the draft in Vegas once and it sucked. It didnt feel right.

I didn't know you were in to hockey UR
I just bought some skates and a stick. Finally going to try a sport I have always loved, I just suck at it. My ankles were not designed to handle the weight of a fat version of me

FanInAZ
02-22-2013, 04:53 AM
The biggest positive that I can see coming from this move is that it would give teams more time to scout players before the draft. This could give lesser known players from smaller collages the opportunity to get some quality time with the scouts. So instead of teams drafting allegedly talented head cases & divas because teams think that they are the only viable options, they might discover equally talented players who are much hungrier to prove themselves.

As far as FA, I don’t know how much of a difference it will make. Teams are still going to be desperate to sign all of the big names before they agree to terms with another team. However, it could give time for scouts a chance to review more film on role players that could make a difference on their special teams coverage units. It could also give teams more time to decide who they want to sign to guard their water jug. Beyond that, I don’t know that it will have that much effect on FA.

The one drawback that I can see is the possible reduction of offseason workouts, unless teams are allowed to do pre-draft team workouts with their returning players & FAs. Then again, with the way most players are today, the idea of fewer offseason workouts might be the #1 reason that they may go for it.

TXBRONC
02-22-2013, 06:26 AM
For me moving the draft to May would be a positive because the way it is now the Draft happens the last weekend of April which is also the same weekend I have annual meeting so I have to watch the draft from a hotel.

RebelRocker
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
I hate this proposal. It just drags out the draft process even further. If anything, they need to move the draft closer
To FA so they compliment one another.

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
They need to play football year round. All day. Every day.

Northman
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
I just hate it because now i have to wait longer for football related stuff. I know instead of 3 mock drafts from me you all will get 10. lmao

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
I just hate it because now i have to wait longer for football related stuff. I know instead of 3 mock drafts from me you all will get 10. lmao

BiMonthly

OrangeHoof
02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
The NFL should be very careful how it markets the combine. Images of a bunch of white guys picking over a bunch of black men standing in their underwear seems very similar to the old slave trades to me.

One year, ESPN promoted their draft coverage in a similar way and I cringed saying "don't go there, don't go there" but, being liberals, I guess ESPN got a pass on that.

I wonder if making more room in the winter is the NFL's laying out the case to expand the playoffs, which would mean more Sundays that would push the Super Bowl deeper into February. Imagine if we went every year from the Super Bowl to March Madness the next weekend.

Personally, I think 12 teams in a 32-team league is the right amount for playoffs but they probably look at the other sports and think "we should have 18".

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
The NFL should be very careful how it markets the combine. Images of a bunch of white guys picking over a bunch of black men standing in their underwear seems very similar to the old slave trades to me.

One year, ESPN promoted their draft coverage in a similar way and I cringed saying "don't go there, don't go there" but, being liberals, I guess ESPN got a pass on that.

I wonder if making more room in the winter is the NFL's laying out the case to expand the playoffs, which would mean more Sundays that would push the Super Bowl deeper into February. Imagine if we went every year from the Super Bowl to March Madness the next weekend.

Personally, I think 12 teams in a 32-team league is the right amount for playoffs but they probably look at the other sports and think "we should have 18".

I've thought about that, and I see the similarities. But then I remember how much money these guys are going for.

OrangeHoof
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes, but that doesn't prevent some African-American players from comparing themselves to slaves, does it?

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes, but that doesn't prevent some African-American players from comparing themselves to slaves, does it?

Is it something that they are forced to go to and participate in? Does Pat Bowlen and John Elway have whips forcing prospects to shoe their skill set?

OrangeHoof
02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
I didn't say I agreed with them. Just stating they have said it about themselves. And the draft, incidentally, is a way to restrain the players from choosing the team they want to play for.

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I didn't say I agreed with them. Just stating they have said it about themselves. And the draft, incidentally, is a way to restrain the players from choosing the team they want to play for.

We don't want them getting too much power and rising up against us.

dogfish
02-22-2013, 10:20 PM
WTF just happened in this thread?

:noidea:

Dapper Dan
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
WTF just happened in this thread?

:noidea:

It got all Roots up in this bitch.

underrated29
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I didn't know you were in to hockey UR
I just bought some skates and a stick. Finally going to try a sport I have always loved, I just suck at it. My ankles were not designed to handle the weight of a fat version of me

Lol yeah brother. I've played hockey for a while. It's my fav sport. It takes time to get going but don't give up as once you master the skating it's soooooo much fun. If you need any advice or help about it just let me know. We have quite a few players or former skaters here on this site. Maybe we should me a thread.

Npba900
02-26-2013, 03:38 AM

Yep....in that regard the NFL is skirting the line if players wanted to make an issue of it.

By making the players come in in just their boxer shorts to be examined by would be teams interested in drafting them is an invasion of the players privacy. And its kinda a weird of men examining other men in their shorts...but that's just me.

During the combine drills would it make a difference if the players performed every drill in full pads to get a truer outcome of how the players times and agility could be measured in the same pads and equipment that would be worn while playing the game.

Why not have the players run the 40 in full pads to get a truer reading of how fast they are in pads since on Sundays they are wearing full pads anyway.

OrangeHoof
02-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Good point. I suppose it's the same reason I usually weigh myself at home while not wearing anything. I want the best results possible. In the doctor's office, I'm fully clothed and about five pounds heavier (boots, belt buckle, billfold, blue jeans, watch, etc.) As long as everyone is examined in the same way, it seems completely fair.