PDA

View Full Version : Williams leaves Dolphins with tough choice

KCL
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
The NFL's reinstatement of Miami running back Ricky Williams puts Cam Cameron in a bind. Allow Williams to return and possibly suffer the same headaches as predecessors Nick Saban and Dave Wannstedt. Release him and snuff a ray of hope for an 0-9 team.

With two weeks to make a final decision, Cameron didn't tip his hand during a Wednesday news conference. A face-to-face meeting Thursday will help Cameron make his final judgment.

"He doesn't know anything about how we go about our business here," Cameron said. "He doesn't know my philosophy as it relates to the team. I've got to let him know where we're coming from and we'll kind of just go from there."

Williams getting clearance from the NFL after five failed drug tests was surprising. He had already embarrassed the league while vying for High Times Man of the Year honors. Some might even wonder what Commissioner Roger Goodell had in his pipe when deciding to allow Williams to return.

Williams had the skills to become one of the NFL's all-time great rushers. Drugs robbed him not only of that chance, but of a staggering eight digits in football income. Plus, Williams still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million the team hasn't tried to collect (yet) for violating his contract in 2004. All this while having to financially provide for a handful of children.

Dope, indeed.

But agent Leigh Steinberg makes a valid point when arguing the ultimate goal of the league's substance-abuse program should be rehabilitation and redemption. Williams' personality clearly changed for the better during his "retirement" season in 2004. Embracing yoga and holistic studies made the enigmatic Williams more affable and, for a while, kept him away from drugs.

His April relapse was disturbing. Williams was willingly drug tested for some time beforehand and spoke excitedly about an NFL return. That seems to indicate Williams' usage wasn't recreational but an unhealthy way of trying to deal with symptoms caused by deep-rooted issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already having battled social-anxiety disorder earlier in his NFL career, Williams again sought psychological help following his April setback. Progress after 5½ months of therapy influenced Goodell's ruling. In turn, Goodell has clearly expressed to Williams that this is his final chance.

So should Williams be launching his comeback in an area that, according to the Miami New Times, had 269 marijuana grow houses busted since 2006?

No matter the decision, Cameron will be second-guessed because of how his first Dolphins season has unraveled. He was initially embraced by Dolphins fans because of his success as San Diego's offensive coordinator. Cameron also had an aw-shucks public persona that stood in stark contrast to Saban's icy demeanor before his abrupt departure to the University of Alabama.

But Cameron's honeymoon ended when Miami selected wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. instead of quarterback Brady Quinn with the No. 9 overall pick. Soundly booed at a Dolphins draft-day party, Cameron buried himself even deeper when saying the Dolphins drafted Ginn "and his family." Cameron also spoke about Trent Green's brood when acquiring the quarterback from Kansas City.

Such sappiness reflects Cameron's Indiana roots, but it doesn't fly in South Florida unless the Ginns and Greens can fill multiple holes on Miami's roster.

Cameron and General Manager Randy Mueller, who also will have significant say in Williams' future, could have avoided this mess by cutting ties with the running back during the off-season. But the rebuilding Dolphins hoped Williams would get cleared so he could get traded to a team that didn't mind all the baggage.

While refusing comment about Williams until Wednesday, Cameron previously insinuated he wouldn't have a place on the team. In May, Cameron said he wouldn't "allow our fans to be let down by people that are not on our roster — not again." Cameron also added "the easiest predictor of future behavior is previous behavior."

"Could I have made that statement 15 years ago? Absolutely not. I was trying to save every guy in the game."

Ironically, Williams can now help save Cameron. While Cameron signed a four-year, $11.2 million contract in January, Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga could be tempted to make a coaching change if Miami adds another kind of perfect season to its history.

Williams' contributions could keep the Dolphins from going winless. As proven in 2005 following a year-long layoff, Williams shouldn't need long before rounding into football shape. And with Cameron set to start rookie quarterback John Beck for the rest of the season beginning Sunday in Philadelphia, Miami's offense needs all the help it can get.

That's why I suspect Cameron will risk the Dolphins being burnt again should Williams let his NFL career go up in smoke.

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
unless he comes aboard with need to cut another player, he should be the one cut from the team. If he causes another player no matter how bad the team is to lose a job I say no..

omac
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Cameron put himself under immediate scrutiny by drafting Ginn at such a high possition, and when they needed a QB more, then following it up with taking Green who's gotten himself injured before really playing well. Williams could be his third strike, whether he releases him or not.

Probably best to cut Williams, even if he later on does great on another team. Despite Moss' success in NE, he was a cancer to the Raiders team.

I think the more important decision for Cameron is when to play John Beck. This guy was an excellent college quarterback, pretty accurate, made great decisions, and very poised. He should play him already, not only to prepare him for next season, but because the natives are getting restless. I have a feeling he hasn't played him yet for fear that if Beck flops badly, that will be his 3rd strike.