PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein- 360/PS3/PC

Shazam!
08-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Wolfenstein (WS) is a FPS developed by id and published by Activision for the XBox 360, Playstation 3 and PC. It runs on id's tech 4 engine, the same that powered Doom 3 and Quake 4.

William Joe 'BJ' Blazkowicz returns to once again stop the Third Reich from using the supernatural and occult Black Sun power to gain world domination in the midst of WWII.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Wolfenstein_%282009_video_game%29.jpg

I've been a big fan of the WS series and have waited for this one a long time. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of my all time favorite shooters, and I recently replayed it to gear up for the new one.

As BJ, you are helping a local resistence group in a fictional city in Nazi Germany. There you acquire various missions from resistance agents and then set out to the locations to complete the various levels and defeat the Nazis. This was supposed to be done in an open world type manner, but it doesn't work as well as say Far Cry 2.

You have your usual stable of weapons from the era, and some awesome prototype Nazi technology at your disposal. Upgrades are available using gold you acquired in the missions, to raise your aim and accuracy for example.

You have special abilities with an amulet that allow you to access another dimension called The Veil. You can see special paths that are normally blocked, defeat some supernatural enemies, etc. It also provides you with some powers, like bullet time and shields. It all feels kind of tacked on to me to just seperate WS from other FPSs.

The story, like it's predecessor, has a scifi B-movie feel to it. The game can probably be beaten in about 10-12 hours.

The enemy AI is decent enough and sometimes overpowering by sheer numbers only as opposed to good AI.

WS looks very good, especially the Veil has some great lighting and shadows and everything animates well, but not as great as other top-tiered FPSs. Maybe it's because the enhanced id Tech 4 is showing it's age. It has some cool battle moments and is very gritty and bloody violent.

The sound, a staple of the WS series is very good, the guns bang and boom and crack very loud and violently as they should. The music is good.

The multiplayer runs on the Quake Wars engine, and has three multiplayer modes, deathmatch, objectives, and stopwatch with different classes. I just don't see it having the same boom as say, again, Activision's other massively popular FPS, CoD.

I can't help but feel without the Veil powers and the pedigree name, WS would be just a run of the mill FPS with little to stand on. It just doesn't have the WS feel to me, it's almost like a lesser CoD clone with some powers to have it stand out. I don't know, with all the time this was in development, I expected better.

7/10

Rated M for Mature- Strong language, Blood and Gore, Intense Violence

If you have never played a WS title before and crave a lengthy FPS campaign and if you can deal with dated visuals, pick up Return to Castle Wolfenstein instead. You can get it for $5. The PC version may visually outperform the PS2 and XBox (playable on 360 too) versions, but the console versions have tacked on levels, new missions and features, tons of weapons, great sound, and the single-player missions can take over 20 hours across over 30 levels. Plus, you get the original Wolfenstein 3-D!

Tned
08-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Is this the same as the PC version from about 3 years ago, or was that return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Shazam!
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
This is all new and was released like 2 weeks ago.

The last Wolfenstein was the Enemy Territory multiplayer for PC in 2003.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was released in 2001 for PC, and the expanded versions were released for PS2 and XBox in 2003. The PS2 version had no multiplayer and only the expanded campaign, while the XBox one was the complete package, with the bonus levels and expanded campaign, full online multiplayer, and was arguably it's best online shooter until Halo 2 came out.

Thnikkaman
08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
If you have never played a WS title before and crave a lengthy FPS campaign and if you can deal with dated visuals, pick up Return to Castle Wolfenstein instead. You can get it for $5. The PC version may visually outperform the PS2 and XBox (playable on 360 too) versions, but the console versions have tacked on levels, new missions and features, tons of weapons, great sound, and the single-player missions can take over 20 hours across over 30 levels. Plus, you get the original Wolfenstein 3-D!

I need to re-download RTCW:ET again and fire that up. I have very fond lan party memories of that game.

Shazam!
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
RTCW is one of my favorite FPSs of all time. WS is just ok.

MasterShake
08-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Two of my original PC games I still have in boxes are Wolfenstein and Star Wars: TIE Fighter. I might rent this. I'm still waiting on a new Duke Nuke-em but I think I heard they axed the new one.

Shazam!
08-26-2009, 01:05 AM
As far as I know, Duke Nukem isn't vaporware, just having one of the worst development cycles ever and lawsuits. This is from 3D Realms site-

If you are interested in reading on Duke Nukem Forever, make sure to visit our Web Forums. Several Duke Nukem Forever team members drop in from time to time and say things. You can also join in and add your own thoughts about the game. Visit our Web Forums here.

No, you cannot pre-order the game. If you see some online store saying "We are taking pre-orders", they're just trying to get your money (they usually also make up their own supposed "insider release date info", too). There is no release date set, we are not taking pre-orders for the game. End of story.

Once we begin taking pre-orders, believe us, you'll know about it. :)

The release date of this game is "When it's done". Anything else, and we mean anything else is someone's speculation. There is no date. We don't know any date. If you have a friend who claims they have "inside info", or there's some game news site, or some computer store at the mall who claims they know - they do not. They are making it up. There is no date. Period.

And yes, we know the game has taken a long time. There's no possible joke you could make about the game's development time that we haven't already heard.

Duke Nukem and the sequel to Black are like invisible at this point and it's really a shame.

EastCoastBronco
09-01-2009, 06:44 AM
I remember playing the original back in university in 1993. It was on 12 floppy discs and it took half a day to load it all onto my buddy's (now ancient) PC. Once we got it on there a lot of trips to the library were mysteriously postponed....;-)

Shazam!
09-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I just finished it. The other characters and the resistance you dont give a shit about and the story is meh. The ending was OK. I expected a better game overall but it's very solid. The campaign is lengthy. Overall not as good as it's predecessor.

For the 360 and PC they should've released something like Ultimate Wolfenstein or the Castle Wolfenstein collection, with a bonus disc containing Return to Castle Wolfenstein because it is playable on 360, which contains the original Wolfenstein 3D. This complete package would have 30 hours of gaming w/Return and Wolfenstein alone.