PDA

View Full Version : Final list of cuts

Calibroncogrl47
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
The Broncos released 21 players today as Denver trimmed its ranks to 53 players at the roster deadline.

Notable names on the Broncos' cut list include former starting fullback Kyle Johnson and defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy.

The release of Johnson means Cecil Sapp and converted tailback Mike Bell will compete to be the fullback. Kennedy, acquired in a trade from the Rams in June for a sixth-round pick, didn't have a good preseason.

The following is the complete list of the cuts:

(Name, Position)

Emmanuel Akah, Guard

Bill Alford, Cornerback

John Browning, Defensive end

Steve Cargile, Safety

Greg Eslinger, Center

Mark Fenton, Guard

Darrell Hackney, Quarterback

Steven Harris, Defensive tackle

T.J. Hollowell, Linebacker

Kevin House, Cornerback

Kyle Johnson, Running back

Jimmy Kennedy, Defensive tackle

Glenn Martinez, Wide receiver

Kevin McAlmont, Offensive lineman

Marquay McDaniel, Wide receiver

Quincy Morgan, Wide receiver

Chad Mustard, Tackle

Preston Parsons, Quarterback

Roderick Rogers, Safety

Cameron Vaughn, Linebacker

Cliff Washburn, Offensive linemen

Kenny Peterson, Defensive tackle*

(* He is starting a four-game NFL suspension for violating the steroid policy.)

Slick
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
The Broncos released 21 players today as Denver trimmed its ranks to 53 players at the roster deadline.

Notable names on the Broncos' cut list include former starting fullback Kyle Johnson and defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy.

The release of Johnson means Cecil Sapp and converted tailback Mike Bell will compete to be the fullback. Kennedy, acquired in a trade from the Rams in June for a sixth-round pick, didn't have a good preseason.

The following is the complete list of the cuts:

(Name, Position)

Emmanuel Akah, Guard

Bill Alford, Cornerback

John Browning, Defensive end

Steve Cargile, Safety

Greg Eslinger, Center

Mark Fenton, Guard

Darrell Hackney, Quarterback

Steven Harris, Defensive tackle

T.J. Hollowell, Linebacker

Kevin House, Cornerback

Kyle Johnson, Running back

Jimmy Kennedy, Defensive tackle

Glenn Martinez, Wide receiver

Kevin McAlmont, Offensive lineman

Marquay McDaniel, Wide receiver

Quincy Morgan, Wide receiver

Chad Mustard, Tackle

Preston Parsons, Quarterback

Roderick Rogers, Safety

Cameron Vaughn, Linebacker

Cliff Washburn, Offensive linemen

Kenny Peterson, Defensive tackle*

(* He is starting a four-game NFL suspension for violating the steroid policy.)

John Browning....:laugh:. Hope he didn't sign a lease.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Thank you, Cali. :smile:

But Bell at FB? Seems we might have a flyweight there . . .

But wow, we let some good people go. Guess that's
a good sign for the talent level on the squad?

-----

Slick
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM

-----

True, but I think Cecil will start. His pass protection was on point during the preseason.

anton...
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
i think kyle became expendable for 2 reasons:

1. cecil was showing signs of outplaying kyle last year when he began competing for playing time

2. with the signing of a true every down TE in graham, i just dont think we will be using many plays which involve the FB, but rather a LOT more 2 TE sets...

3. because i cant count, scheffler said in his rescent Q & A "But there's definitely going to be times where we're even going to have three tight ends in there blocking and doing things like that, so it should be a good year for the tight ends." http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7115

so yeah...

i think we will be right without kyle...

:2cents:
________
Glass Pipe (http://glasspipes.net/)

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks Cali and good job. :D

RunYouOver
09-01-2007, 10:11 PM

But wow, we let some good people go. Guess that's
a good sign for the talent level on the squad?

-----

Didn't he have blocking issues last year?

And don't we look for blocking from a FB?

*Atwater*
09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the list cali. :2thumbs:

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Didn't he have blocking issues last year?

And don't we look for blocking from a FB?

Yes and if not mistake he was cut last year as well.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Cargile suprises me a bit based on his versatility. But then Webster and Abdullah stepping up probably had something to do with that.

Watchthemiddle
09-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Kyle is a shocker.

Never saw that coming.

sneakers
09-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Awwww! A couple players I was pulling for got cut. :Cry:

broncosinindy
09-02-2007, 12:54 AM
i wasn't upset about KJ i was a tad bit upset about Kennedy i was down right T'd off about cargile...thought he was full of promise

ChampWJ
09-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I am shocked that we traded a 6th for Kennedy and then cut him. He made a couple nice plays in the Arizona game, so I was really surprised about that. I would have predicted Burton getting cut instead. I am very scared about our depth at DT, considering a no name like Gordon is our starter.

Also, after the game Cargile had against the Cards, and his versatility, I feel bad for that guy. I hope we can keep him around on the practice squad.

I'm not upset about cutting KJ, or any of the other players except for Quincy Morgan. Seems kinda weird to cut a player who led the NFL in return avg just 2 seasons ago and was a playmaker in that department for us last year.

I do not have any idea why we kept so many backs, you figure one would have been cut from Bell, Young, or Hall. And I am also surprised that we kept 5 stinking TE's again. I thought we brought in Graham to be a dominating blocker, yet we kept our other TE who's a blocker in Alexander. Nate Jackson had a good camp, but he doesn't block or stay healthy. And can we please train someone else to long snap so we can get that damn roster spot back?

squints
09-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I was shocked by a few. I thought K Johnson, G Eslinger, and J Kennedy would all make the team.

topscribe
09-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I am shocked that we traded a 6th for Kennedy and then cut him. He made a couple nice plays in the Arizona game, so I was really surprised about that. I would have predicted Burton getting cut instead. I am very scared about our depth at DT, considering a no name like Gordon is our starter.

Also, after the game Cargile had against the Cards, and his versatility, I feel bad for that guy. I hope we can keep him around on the practice squad.

I'm not upset about cutting KJ, or any of the other players except for Quincy Morgan. Seems kinda weird to cut a player who led the NFL in return avg just 2 seasons ago and was a playmaker in that department for us last year.

I do not have any idea why we kept so many backs, you figure one would have been cut from Bell, Young, or Hall. And I am also surprised that we kept 5 stinking TE's again. I thought we brought in Graham to be a dominating blocker, yet we kept our other TE who's a blocker in Alexander. Nate Jackson had a good camp, but he doesn't block or stay healthy. And can we please train someone else to long snap so we can get that damn roster spot back?
I remember when Rod Smith was a no-name starter at WR.

Actually, Nate Jackson has grown into a much more competent blocker.

Quincy Morgan, although a decent returner, was a marginal receiver. Others,
such as Hixon, promise to be capable returners and good recevers, too.
And they are younger with more years ahead of them.

-----

squints
09-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I remember when Rod Smith was a no-name starter at WR.

Actually, Nate Jackson has grown into a much more competent blocker.

Quincy Morgan, although a decent returner, was a marginal receiver. Others,
such as Hixon, promise to be capable returners and good recevers, too.
And they are younger with more years ahead of them.

-----

Top this is why you are one of my fav posters.

Retired_Member_001
09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Kyle Johnson was a shock, he wasn't Mr.Fantastic at fullback but I didn't think he would get cut. Does this mean my nightmare of Mike "No Block" Bell at fullback is more likely?

Quincy Morgan was a shock aswell. Others look promising but Quincy Morgan looked much better than Brian Clark did last season. Quincy Morgan nearly took a few all the way although the key word is nearly. Hixon looks promising but I still think keeping Quincy Morgan would have been the safe route to take.

It's a shame to see Emannuel Akah cut since he is from around where I live. Shanahan was probably sick of him demanding tea every morning in camp. ;)

Tned
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Kyle Johnson was a shock, he wasn't Mr.Fantastic at fullback but I didn't think he would get cut. Does this mean my nightmare of Mike "No Block" Bell at fullback is more likely?

I would guess that Sapp will play fullback, and Bell will be inactive most weeks.

Retired_Member_001
09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I would guess that Sapp will play fullback, and Bell will be inactive most weeks.

I would guess Sapp at fullback aswell but Mike Bell being the backup sends shivers down my spine.