PDA

View Full Version : Possible Breakout Players on Defense

WARHORSE
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Nice article from the Fatman.

"The most obvious one is probably Derek Wolfe, who had a very nice rookie season, and who I think is only scratching the surface of his potential. The first thing you have to understand about Wolfe is that he’s not used as a traditional 4-3 DE; he’s really more of a 3-4 type of player, and the Broncos defense is actually mostly a 3-4 in disguise. If Elvis Dumervil lined up in a two-point stance, the disguise would be gone.
Wolfe was the primary difference between 2011, when the Broncos usually had to use eight men in the box against the run, and 2012, when they usually managed pretty well with seven. It’s a major deal for the soundness of a defense when it can afford to keep two deep safeties, and the play of Wolfe, Justin Bannan, and Kevin Vickerson was what allowed it"

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/mailbag-possible-breakout-defensive-players-for-2013

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Wolfe kind of has that look in his eye that suggests he's disappointed he doesn't get to kick the crap out of you for five quarters.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 08:23 AM
The base defense is a 4-3 the thing is they aren't able to be in that much. Btw there were several occassions where Dumervil was in a two point stance this past season.

I agree with Fatman that Wolfe could be a breakout player next year. I'm not sure he'll be a double digit sack master but hopefully he can consistently be in 6-8 sack range.

CoachChaz
02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Wolfe's biggest problem is lining up next to Miller most of the time. Sack total is not going to be there in that scenario, but he helps Von and still gets his own pressure. I was a skeptic that came away from the season impressed with his performance.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Wolfe's biggest problem is lining up next to Miller most of the time. Sack total is not going to be there in that scenario, but he helps Von and still gets his own pressure. I was a skeptic that came away from the season impressed with his performance.

That and he's got Dumervil on the opposite side of him.

If he impressed you that's saying something.

wayninja
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
He and I get our haircut at the same place. True story.

Hawgdriver
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
He and I get our haircut at the same place. True story.

Same haircut or it didn't happen.