PDA

View Full Version : Young's rise matches his speed

omac
11-14-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5746092,00.html

Young's rise matches his speed
Back quickly goes from undrafted to vital offensive cog
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
November 12, 2007

ENGLEWOOD - There were tears in Selvin Young's eyes before Sunday's game because of how far he had come.

There were smiles afterward because of how far he had gone.

The Broncos rookie running back got his first 100-yard game and first pro touchdown in his second start in three weeks.

"It's real nice," Young said in a moment of reflection in the visiting locker room at Arrowhead Stadium while cutting off thick tape from both cleats. "To be a guy who came out and wasn't even expected to come and play for a football team after not being picked, there's a lot of pride. And a lot of hard work, a lot of love for the game made it possible."

Young, replacing Travis Henry (bruised left knee), sprinted 34 yards downfield on his first carry during a 27-11 victory against the Kansas City Chiefs. It set the tone for his 109-yard effort on 20 carries, both career-bests.

The Broncos had lacked a triple-figure individual rushing performance in five of the previous six games. The entire team failed to rush for 100 yards all but once since wins in the first two weeks.

"We've gotten behind so early in a lot of games, we've kind of thrown out the running game," left tackle Matt Lepsis said. "So it was definitely nice to kind of establish the run, and you see what happens when we can do it. It's tough to beat a team that runs the ball well."

It's tougher to believe the Broncos, whose reputation under coach Mike Shanahan largely has been built with the rush, had no rushing touchdown of more than 6 yards before Young sprinted off right end, hesitated, then jetted past Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard for a 20-yard score early in the third quarter.

"I see it happen a lot where guys have a lot of success early, and for the rest of the game, nothing," Young said. "My thing was to stay poised, stay calm and continue to hit and look for another big run."

Young ranks third among rookies with 331 yards, trailing Minnesota's Adrian Peterson (1,081) and Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch (751). They have three times the rushing attempts, not to mention millions more in the bank. Peterson and Lynch were top-15 picks. Young wasn't drafted.

But it's possible in a couple weeks the Broncos back will become a full-time workhorse runner along those lines, given Henry's precarious standing under the league's substance-abuse policy and a pending appeal Friday in Phoenix. A decision on Henry is expected shortly thereafter.

"That's why we've got (Young)," receiver Brandon Marshall said. "He's a good runner, a tough runner. And he's been doing this from Day One. It's one of those things where when you're on the field with him, you've got to get a block downfield and continue to run. Taking nothing away from T-Henry, that guy's just explosive."

In each of Young's three appearances with at least eight touches, he has broken off at least one 20-yard play.

"He's got an extra gear," quarterback Jay Cutler said. "He's got a good feel for the cutback. He can block. He can catch out of the backfield, so the more we can get the ball in his hands, the better."

The talk in the offensive meeting room before the Chiefs game was more breakaway rushes were needed to maintain offensive equilibrium.

Mission accomplished.

"There's going to be a lot more of those coming," Young said.

How many of those opportunities are afforded Young is debatable. Henry "still is a little bit sore" and will have a precautionary magnetic resonance imaging exam to rule out anything serious, Shanahan said.

The coach added he was unsure whether Henry can practice fully Wednesday in preparation for Tennessee on Monday night.

Henry, who worked out a little Friday, wanted to play against Kansas City, "but I didn't think it was the best thing for the football team" because of his physical condition and lack of repetitions.

The last time Henry missed a game, Oct. 29 because of a rib issue, he resumed a full workload in his return before getting hurt again. Either way, Young has won over teammates as a viable option.

And while Shanahan warned Sunday that Young needs to secure the ball more firmly, he has praised the rookie's maturity and skill level since training camp. It was then that Young overtook veterans Cecil Sapp and Mike Bell to become the top backup.

"I really feel like they made a commitment to me a long time ago and believed in me that I can be the guy and do some things like that and help us win ballgames," Young said. "And when people aren't able to go, to stand up and step up is real big for me."

At 5-foot-11, 207 pounds, Young still needs to prove he's large enough to take an every-down pounding. He doesn't run with the powerful low center of gravity of a Henry, whose mission was to bring a strong between-the-tackles element back to the Broncos.

But Clinton Portis wasn't huge, either. And while it's unfair to compare the two from a skill standpoint, Portis used quickness, big-play ability and strength to succeed with the Broncos. Young has shown some of those traits in limited action.

"He's young and has some things to learn," tight end Daniel Graham said. "But he's going to be a great running back."

ETC.: Several players were at the Broncos complex getting treatment, including Cutler, but Shanahan said the team came through the win "in pretty good shape." Cutler is expected to practice Wednesday when the team returns to the field, while tight end Tony Scheffler, who left the game briefly with a bruised chest after big hit, is expected to practice as well. . . . Shanahan said he still was uncertain when safety John Lynch, who has missed two games after suffering a stinger, would be ready to play. "It's hard to say until he practices and takes a hit," Shanahan said. "We don't want to take a chance on him taking a hit until that numbness went away. So I don't think it makes any sense. John is such a warrior he'd play through any pain, but you've got to have some common sense that prevails." . . . Shanahan said receiver Javon Walker, who has missed seven games with a right knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery, likely would try to practice some. "We'll see what he can do, if he can run routes, we'll see how well he can run routes," Shanahan said. "After he does practice . . . if he does practice on Wednesday, can he come back on Thursday? We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think it would be good for Monday night, but you never know." . . .The league is reviewing the play on which receiver Brandon Marshall was punched in the groin by Kansas City defensive back Tyron Brackenridge, who could be fined if the league decides the punch was intentional after looking at the video.

Staff writer Jeff Legwold contributed to this report. rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Great article Omac thanks man.

Skinny
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the read omac ...
At 5-foot-11, 207 pounds, Young still needs to prove he's large enough to take an every-down pounding. He doesn't run with the powerful low center of gravity of a Henry, whose mission was to bring a strong between-the-tackles element back to the Broncos.
I think 207 is capable of carrying the load ... but Selvin has to do his part and run smart and take care of his body (easier said than done i know). As we're seeing with Henry ... even 230 can have problems taking an every-down pounding ...

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the read omac ... I think 207 is capable of carrying the load ... but Selvin has to do his part and run smart and take care of his body (easier said than done i know). As we're seeing with Henry ... even 230 can have problems taking an every-down pounding ...

It's interesting, when Selvin came to us out of college I was sure I saw that he weighed about 217 lbs.

omac
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
It's interesting, when Selvin came to us out of college I was sure I saw that he weighed about 217 lbs.

I want him to fill-out without losing his speed. I could be wrong, but Marshawn Lynch looked huge compared to when he was in college. I think Selvin could bulk up and still maintain his speed. Has Dumervil also gotten a little bigger from last year? No matter, Dumervil is packed with muscle for a relatively short guy at DE, yet has amazing speed. Jay packed on the muscle for the contact he'd take while QB'ing Vandy; maybe Selvin can do the same.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I want him to fill-out without losing his speed. I could be wrong, but Marshawn Lynch looked huge compared to when he was in college. I think Selvin could bulk up and still maintain his speed. Has Dumervil also gotten a little bigger from last year? No matter, Dumervil is packed with muscle for a relatively short guy at DE, yet has amazing speed. Jay packed on the muscle for the contact he'd take while QB'ing Vandy; maybe Selvin can do the same.

I think you're right I saw Lynch a few times while he was at UC and he seems bigger since coming up to the pro level.

Astrass
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I think you're right I saw Lynch a few times while he was at UC and he seems bigger since coming up to the pro level.

I noticed that too.....he's a beast now.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I noticed that too.....he's a beast now.

I hope he is healthy for Sundays game vs NE

I want to at least see a respectable game and not a walkover.

With Lynch and a very very excited crowd and maybe some wind

Buff has a chance to lose only like 27-14 ish.. and cover
the most important part of football I say ;)

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I think if he can put on some weight (15 pounds or so) and not play hard head football trying to run over everyone he can be the Stud buffalo that mikey wants to play.

He is not fast now just has good technique runs to daylight and makes those cuts well. Has enough speed to get around the edge, but he has to play smart.. Taking on a 240 plus pound LB that wants to take you out of the game or even a 28-320 pound DL guy that drools alot is not smart, getting by them and letting them drag you down from behind is what he should be doing.

omac
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I hope he is healthy for Sundays game vs NE

I want to at least see a respectable game and not a walkover.

With Lynch and a very very excited crowd and maybe some wind

Buff has a chance to lose only like 27-14 ish.. and cover
the most important part of football I say ;)

Buffalo almost beat Dallas, so maybe they'll almost beat NE as well. :cheers: