PDA

View Full Version : Broncos turn to stopgappers

omac
11-14-2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5746444,00.html

Broncos turn to stopgappers
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
November 13, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — There was a time, in sunbaked training camps around the NFL, when coaches would gather their players and tell them to look around, to see who remained, to acknowledge those who had persevered.

And, inevitably, there would be a short speech, words about how these were the players who would march together through a professional football autumn.

Well, those days are gone. Way gone.

"Things change," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "We say we're always looking to put together the team that gives us the best chance to win, regardless of what's happened. We really mean always, I guess.

"The team you leave camp with may not be the one you can play with anymore."

With a pile of injuries and a heaping helping of frustration in what had been a 3-5 struggle through the season's first half before their win Sunday in Kansas City, the Broncos have kept the roster turnstiles spinning.

Players have gone in, players have come out, month to month, week to week and, sometimes, even day to day.

Case in point: Josh Mallard.

Mallard signed with the Broncos on Nov. 6, practiced Nov. 7, then played 46 plays combined at defensive end and defensive tackle against the Chiefs.

"I don't know who that is," defensive tackle Sam Adams joked after the game. "No, seriously, a great pass rusher. . . . He can rush the passer, and he was a great addition."

Said Mallard: "That really is strange to think about. I was sitting on the couch the week before, watching games. You want to be playing, I'm glad it worked out."

It worked out because the Broncos, like most teams in the era of the salary cap and free agency, are finding they have to be more adept at putting new players in the express lane of preparation when needed.

Receiver Taylor Jacobs, who was signed the same day as Mallard, also got up to speed quickly enough to play on special teams against Kansas City.

"I know some of it is the position," Mallard said. "A defensive lineman, it's not like quarterback, I can get in there a little faster than some other spots. Get the quarterback, control my gap, that is something I can do right away. I wasn't first in my class, but I wasn't last, either. It wasn't that difficult."

Mallard's experience and his desire to fit in quickly made it work, Shanahan said. In 2006, Mallard played in 14 games for the Falcons — Broncos defensive line coach Bill Johnson was coaching Atlanta at the time — and had played three games with the team this season before being waived earlier this month.

Since being taken in the seventh round of the 2002 draft by the Colts, Mallard has adapted to several defensive playbooks in his attempt to build his career. He played in 13 games for Indianapolis in 2002, played in NFL Europe, went to training camp with the Colts in 2003 and 2005 to go with a stint with the Dolphins in 2004.

"So Mallard wasn't too tough because he's bright and he's been in the league for a while," Shanahan said. "It's a little bit tougher for a guy who's a little bit younger and doesn't have that experience playing in NFL games."

Mallard wasn't given the entire defensive playbook last week, just the portion the Broncos would be using against the Chiefs. Shanahan said that is the usual strategy for late additions, who get a steady dose of playbook updates as the season progresses.

Usually, the biggest obstacle is terminology, which varies from team to team and coaching staff to coaching staff.

"For a while, they are just relating what you do to what they've done somewhere else, going from one word to the other," Shanahan said. "Eventually, they get to the point where they don't have to think so much and they can just play."

It has allowed the new arrivals to fill in where needed in a season when the Broncos have had plenty of opportunities waiting.

"If you've been in this game for any length of time, you're always going to go through injuries and other types of things," Shanahan said. "You always find out when people get injured or you make a change, guys get new opportunities.

"You like to see guys step up and take advantage of an opportunity. We've talked about that with the team, even about a month ago, when somebody goes down, it gives somebody a chance to show what he can do. We know all these guys can play, but can they play at that level on game day? If they can, you've got a chance to adjust and overcome some things."

In with the new

Because of injuries and roster decisions, the Broncos have fit in plenty of players on the fly this season.

Pos. Player Signed The skinny

LB Jamie Winborn Sept. 11 Has two special-teams tackles

G P.J. Alexander Oct. 10 Backup at center and guard

G Isaac Snell Oct. 10 Backup at guard

LB Jordan Beck Oct. 19 Tied for special-teams lead with five tackles

DE/DT Josh Mallard Nov. 6 In for 46 plays against Chiefs

WR Taylor Jacobs Nov. 6 Played on special teams against Chiefs

DE Paul Carrington Nov. 6 Backup; has not played

DE Larry Birdine Nov. 6 Backup; has not played

Another lineman gone

The Broncos waived defensive tackle Antwon Burton on Tuesday as they continued their barrage of roster moves in recent weeks.

Burton, who spent most of the 2006 season on the Broncos practice squad, had played seven games for the team in his career — six this season, one in 2006. Burton, whose best outing was a three-tackle game against Green Bay last month, has practice-squad eligibility remaining.

Another lineman in

To fill Burton's roster spot, the Broncos re-signed defensive end Kenny Peterson. Peterson began the season on the Broncos roster but was suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL policy on steroids and related substances. After returning to the team and practicing for one week, Peterson was cut by the Broncos.

Practice-squad signee

The Broncos signed tight end Chad Upshaw to the practice squad.

The University of Buffalo product's name might sound familiar. He is a nephew of Gene Upshaw, a Hall of Famer who serves as executive director of the NFL Players Association.

Chad Upshaw worked out for the Broncos on Oct. 2.

Workouts continue

The Broncos worked out four running backs, including former Texan Wali Lundy. Lundy started eight games for the Texans last season and rushed for 476 yards. Also in for the workout were Steven Jackson, a fullback who was with Carolina in training camp, Ray Perkins and Marquis Weeks.

legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2359

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the read Omac.

WAB
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Marquis Weeks is good.

omac
11-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the read Omac.

Your welcome. :cheers:

It's interesting that as a pro player, you probably have a lot of chances during the year to make a team, even if you don't make one or get cut early on.

Always interesting when someone out of nowhere becomes a great player, like Kurt Warner; a league MVP, he was available to any team that took a chance on him after GB cut him.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Marquis Weeks is good.

I've never heard of him before.

eessydo
11-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Wish we had some Stopgappers, our rush defense wouldn't look so bad!!!

WAKA WAKA WAKA!!